MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle

4.1

Talc, Mica, Dimethicone, Isopropyl Palminate, Jojoba Seed Oil, Yeast Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lauroyl Lysine, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Minerals

on 8/1/2015 5:05:00 AM

So I definitely put off purchasing this because of its cult fame, but now I see why it is such a favorite! My skin is dry and dull, very fair (NW20) and VERY cool toned. A lot of highlighters I've found for cool toned skin are white, which looks ashy even against my porcelain skin, the majority of others Are more golden and just doesn't look right on my light complexion. I swatched this in MAC to see what the hype was about and it was definitely amazingly perfectly colored for my fair cool toned skin. I wore it on my cheek bones out of the store and my skin looked revived from the drying summer months in chlorine and sand! I then had a party to attend later that evening and layered soft and gentle over my benefit girl meets pearl, another pinky champagne color that is somewhat neutral, and WOW! My cheekbones were glowing, when the light hit my face in a certain way, you could really see that most coveted hard to attain highlight. The powder is soft and beautiful, just like the effect on your face! I wouldn't recommend this for darker skin tones, I believe it would look dry and ashy, for darker skin tones I'd suggest gold deposit because it's soooooooo beautiful, I wish I could wear gold deposit as a highlight.. So fair skinned ladies (and gents) enjoy, dark skinned ladies (and gents), I'd steer you toward gold deposit!

on 7/30/2015 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

It's an okay product.. i really don't see why it's so hyped as it's so dry and chunky-- not really digging the glitter flakes it contains. Also it can sometimes look ashy on me (I'm around NC42). I just got Becca's pressed highlighter in Opal and I can say that I'm never reaching for Soft n Gentle again!

on 7/28/2015 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

OG of highlighters :) I have had this for a few years and it is always my go to highlighter..

on 7/21/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

I stopped caring for MAC products after discovering Sephora but when I came across a beauty blogger / transformation wizard I began noticing that the looks I liked best of her clients' before and after photos were ones where the highlighter applied was MAC Soft and Gentle. The look was always the same: a healthy glow and dewy sheen. I am glad I decided to give MAC another try because this has now become my favourite highlighter for any occasion. Like the before and after photos I have constantly envied, it gives me the healthiest glow and dewy look. People constantly compliment how my skin looks so healthy. I like to apply it with a fan brush and it doesn't go on ovewhelmingly or glittery. It almost appears wet but in a really good way. The best way to describe the appearance is a soft pearl.

on 7/19/2015 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have very very mixed feelings about this product.

I first heard about it from YouTube. Many a beauty guru used it in their tutorials and it looked amazing! So dewy and fresh and beautiful. I have very oily skin, so highlighter has never made an appearance in my make-up bag, but I just wanted that beautiful glow.

I'm not one for buying high end products, unless its foundation (I have very problematic skin), but there are just no good high street highlighters, so after a few months of thinking should I? Shouldn't I? I finally bought it from the MAC website.

First things first - I'm NC15, very pale, and when I put in on the high points of my face, it looked very pink. It is described as a gilded peach bronze, but it looked so soft on all the YouTubers, regardless of skin tone, which is why I bought soft and gentle, and not lightscapade (I was actually put off from the blue colour in lightscapade). I feel like when I try to wear soft and gentle with blusher on my cheeks, it looks like I'm wearing too much blusher, and the pink colour intensifies. I don't like to wear much blusher, because I have a lot of redness on y cheeks, so I try and avoid intensifying that. So, if I am going to wear soft and gentle, I can't wear it with a blusher at the same time.

Secondly - I'm aware that highlighters must have some kind of shimmer in them, in order to create shimmer on the skin, but I was not expecting the chunks of glitter to be so, well, chunky! From far away, it looks great, but the closer you look (and I don't mean that you need to get out your microscope), it looks like I have been sorting out the Christmas decorations!

That was my experience when applying it with a brush - any kind of brush I tried did the same thing - and with my fingers.

However, I have discovered that if I use my damp foundation sponge (I use the Real Techniques Complexion Sponge) to very GENTLY apply, and LITTLE amount of the product, it blends seamlessly, and the chunks of glitter look much softer. Even though you would expect this kind of product to intensify when applied with water, it really looked much softer on my skin, and much more wearable.

I really dislike my make-up to look like make-up, so if you like a more made up look, then the brush application would probably work perfectly for you.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this product. If I had paid a more high street friendly price, then I wouldn't have been so disappointed, because I really would have expected a much better quality product for the price. Really, my beef is with the size of the glitter, and I would expect that from a cheap brand. I think it was my own fault for getting the wrong colour, so I wouldn't repurchase soft and gentle, unless I was to get a major tan, but if I had the opportunity to try out lightscapade, I probably would.

on 7/16/2015 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Humn... I have VERY mixed feelings over this highlighter... Although it's the best I have used so far that isn't very reassuring to its worth considering that I have yet to find a highlighter that totally "wow's" me.

First off I must say that this is some pretty damn glittery stuff - or rather it comes off glittery upon application for me, but it's not chunky like most cheaper highlighters are (which is good!). I wanted a dewy sheen though, NOT a glittery effect - so I'm not real thrilled over that. This doesn't apply as buttery smooth for me as it seems to for everyone else either. This product also has fall-out galore and picks up a ton of product so one needs to be pretty careful and def tap off the excess. Also I have to be completely honest here in that I am not noticing that much of a difference (once on) between this and my NYX Born To Glow Liquid Illuminator. I know that sounds odd as one is more pseudo golden-ish (Mac) while the other seems more pink toned at first glance (NYX) but seriously, if I compare side to side once applied and contemplate the price difference ($32 vs. $7) I am slightly bewildered. Which brings me to...

I thought this would apply more champagne or light gold toned, yet once on its that typical pearlized whitish baby pink. Is it just my skin? I dunno if this happens to anyone else. That pearly silver/white highlight drives me insane - I am not a teenager dammit! I want grown up gold, be it rose gold or a true gold. On the upside, at least this doesn't turn orange, sigh. If this is your HG than I am uber jealous.

I am going to continue to play with this and use it, but I definitely will not re-purchase.

on 7/12/2015 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Holy grail for sure. I would consider Colourpop Smokin Whistles to be a dupe but definitely a completely different texture. Looks great on very pale and very dark skin tones. Would recommend and definitely repurchase, although it doesn't look like I will have to for a long time.

on 7/12/2015 6:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Lovely product! The colour is beautiful - a gorgeous pinky champagne shade - which I think would look amazing on any skin tone. It suits my skin tone perfectly (fair/medium + as reference bourjois no. 53 light beige). It is the perfect highlighting shade and it really compliments my cheek bones. HOWEVER, though the product is a thick, almost creamy powder, it produces a bit of fall out when applying which personally I don't mind because it is such a nice product. You also have to apply this with a very light hand and build it up as otherwise you could look like a glitter ball.

on 7/1/2015 4:19:00 PM

I really like it. gives a nice glow to your cheeks. the only downside is the new packaging that is slightly messy.

on 6/29/2015 1:44:00 PM

After all the hype, I finally went out and got it. Honestly, I do use it but I am not in love with it. I find that it barely appears on my skin tone (light-medium) and I find it rather chalky and glittery. I have over hl in my collection that I much prefer over this one.

Top Rated MAC Products