Retin A

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using .025% Tretinoin cream off and on for decades. Above anything else, it is the most effective skincare cream I have ever used for both acne and anti-aging. Along with daily sunscreen, it has kept my skin practically wrinkle-free and super clear. I think the reason why more people don't stick with Tretinoin/Retin-A is because it is difficult to use at first without causing a lot of flakiness and irritation, especially for those who have sensitive skin. I myself quit many times because of this. I either applied too much, used it too frequently, used too high of a concentration, used other "active" harsh skincare products with it, rubbed the flakes off and cause more irritation and redness, etc. This is how I was able to successfully use Tretinoin and continue to get the best results:
1. I see a dermatologist who really knows my skin and made sure that this product was right for me.
2. I apply Tretinoin every 4-5 days. This gave my skin time to adjust and caused the least amount of negative side effects. I don't apply anything under it or on top of it.
3. I use the lowest strength version available. I use generic .025% tretinoin cream and it is very effective. When I tried .05% it very way too strong for me, caused a lot of irritation and my skin never got adjusted to it.
4. I use the cream version of Tretinoin. The gel version was way too drying and harsh on my sensitive skin.
5. I use Aveeno Creamy Baby wash at night and Johnson's Baby Shampoo in the morning to wash my face, DCL Ultra Light Hydrator Oil Free Lotion in the morning (under sunscreen), Cerave PM cream at night, and Cerave Baby Moisturizing Lotion during the day when my skin feels dry and I don't have any makeup on. All of these products are very gentle.
6. I use a sunscreen daily. I use Pevonia Botanica Ligne Soleil SPF 30, Banana Boat Kids Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50, and Eucerin Redness Relief Daily Perfecting Lotion SPF 15 (when I won't be outside a lot).
7. I only rub off the flakes in the shower gently with my fingertips once per week and only if there are a lot of them. I don't use exfoliating products of any kind, buff puffs, etc., EVER.
8. I don't use any other anti-aging products on my skin. The less irritation the better.

on 2/22/2015 10:36:00 PM

Gave it about a year and a half before I gave up on it. It did help with my cystic acne but the entire time I was red. Tomato red. I was probably 3-4 shades darker in the face vs my neck due to the redness. I tried to cut down to twice a week, still red. Buffered it by applying after moisturizer, no change. Waited an hour after washing before applying, still the same. I had no problems with flaking and peeling after the first few weeks. Nothing a washcloth couldn't remedy. It's the dark redness that I could not handle, the colouring of a chronic drunk. People with very sensitive and thin skin might not find this wonder cream that wondrous after all.

on 2/21/2015 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I got a prescription for this acne cream from my normal pediatrician (I am 16) in the highest dosage, along with a gel for the morning. She recommended I start using every night, but if it is too strong, do every other night. Being a self-conscious teen I wanted my acne gone right away so I used it every night. The first week was the worst week of my entire life, my skin burned, peeled and felt the worst it has every felt BUT since then I have noticed great leaps in my skin. Many old scars are gone and my acne overall have gotten much more under control. I live in Minnesota and during the winter, it gets extremely dry and cold and it doesn't help how retin A already makes my skin peel. My skin is a struggle to keep moisturized and exfoliated but as soon as it warms up this problem is gone. Another thing I notice it that retin A will not prevent or help my stress breakouts what so ever.

Overall, I really really like retin A, it cleared up my skin quickly and nicely. Its side effects are a pain in the butt to deal with but I get lots of compliments on my skin now and definitely feel better about it. I have had friends try this product and have the complete opposite affect so it really depends on the person.

on 2/17/2015 4:43:00 PM

This stuff made my face bleed! I tried using it every other night, every 3 nights, etc....but my face looked like it had been burned. It was so painful. Went back to dermatologist and got switched to Adapalene and its working wonders and not pain like Retin A did.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

It has been a few days since I have been using a proper tretinoin (Airol 0.05 cream) but I had been using some other daily retinoids before for quite some time (BabyFace 0.02 tretinoin / 4% hydroquinone in alcohol) and before that, BASF RetiStar 1% in a cream base. In total, I have been using retinoids / retinols for about 4 months. I put them on at night before other moisturizers.

The first thing I noticed when I applied Airol was how non-burning it was. Transitioning from using something with alcohol to using something alcohol-free was well worth the price. I paid $12 for a 20gm tube of Airol (a Greek brand) including shipping. I did not peel, I did not flake as I did when I started BabyFace, which is intended to be a peel.

Ever since beginning retinols and retinoids, I noticed that a wrinkle in the side of my nose, as well as a laugh line, nasolabial fold has disappeared. My pimples have "flattened" and become less red, although I still get them, when I made the leap from retinol to tretinoin. They are like pyramids without the capstone.

My pores first got big and weird, and the skin on my forehead began to grey out and get a coarse texture. I was afraid but persisted through the "dark night". Eventually the coarse skin went away especially when I did salicylic acid. Although I don't have pure "baby skin" since I didn't peel in sheets, tretinoin has "calmed down" my skin a lot and I feel that I now have more of a clean slate.

on 12/30/2014 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am 67 and been using retin a since I was 47. Back than I had noticed a couple of wrinkles on my face so my dermatologist prescribed retin a . I used it for a couple of months and the wrinkles actually disappeared. I have been using it occasionally ever since when I remember to apply it and have really smooth skin. I have noticed a few fine lines around my mouth so I am again going to Start applying it more frequently now to stop or hopefully get rid of those lines. My only problem with it is when I start using it more frequently I start breaking out and have to get past all the blind pimples surfacing. It does work ,I see other people my age and there skin looks like wrinkled leather. I have med skin and never used sunscreen and for years used sun reflectors to get a tan ,but because of retin a my skin looks great.

on 12/1/2014 11:13:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I used the lowest strength retin-a for 7 months. I had a very bad reaction to it at first and later my skin kind of got used to it. Then i suddenly realized that my skin was worse before I started. My face looked like it was made of wax, it was 10 shades lighter then my neck, and my skin was very thin, and less plump. I had no acne problem prior to starting this, just had very slight laugh lines. Now I have deep laugh lines, forehead wrinkles and my cheeks look saggy. Before I started using this God Forsaken cream I used to look much younger. I often got confused for a high school student, now I look 10-15 years older then my age. My eyes also look sunken in, and have very visible under eye bags. I did not use this cream under my eyes ever, by the way. I deeply regret using retin-A, I am very depressed about how my skin looks, to the point of being suicidal sometimes. It has destroyed my self confidence. I have been off it for 3 months and there has been no improvement. I'm afraid the damage it's done to my skin is irreversible. If anyone has gone through this and their skin improved, please send me a message and let me know what you did and how long it took for your skin to recover.

on 11/30/2014 8:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product saved my skin after 10 years of battling with acne. Just wrote a review of this on my blog - http://bellabae.net/2014/11/28/finally-how-i-cured-my-acne/

on 10/26/2014 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is an amazing product for acne and hyperpigmentation; I started using Retin-A 0.05% one year ago. I now use Retin-A micro 0.04% and feel that it is better suited for my skin. A lot of the excessive irritation that many write about in their reviews, can easily be avoided by using the correct amount of product, and by keeping with a simple skincare routine. I use Cerave's Foaming Cleanser to cleanse my skin and I wait 30 minutes prior to applying the Retin-A Micro. I use less than a pea and that covers my entire face. I take less than a pea and place one dot of the product on each cheek, my forehead, chin and nose. I then lightly spread the product around each area of my face. I found that applying the product this way significantly reduced the dryness that I had for the short amount of time that I had the dryness. I then apply Cerave's moisturizing cream 30 minutes later.

In the daytime I use the same Cerave cleanser and I use the ZO Skin Health Daily Power Defence and the ZO Skin Oclipse SPF 30. I also use the Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Original Peel once a week during the nighttime and I have never had any sort of irritation. I don't use tretinoin on the night that I use the peel. I also did not peel while using Retin-A at all. For the first two weeks of using tretinoin, I had a little bit of dryness in the morning, but this is normal and goes away after your skin gets accustomed to the product.

I decided to write this review because I see a lot of negative reviews that might hinder someone from using this product and everyone's skin is different. If you are not watching how someone applies the product, nor what they use before during and after use, you cannot take their negative reviews seriously. Something else could be affecting their skin that they nor you know about. Unless you are allergic to the product, which your dermatologist would find out prior to use, you will not get any swelling on your face. It should also not take a year for your skin to get used to the product - especially if you are using this product under a dermatologist's guidance. Of course, if you stop using the product, especially before your skin becomes accustomed to it, your skin is going to revert back to the way it was before you started using it. This is a product that almost every dermatologist/ physician recommends to their patient (including celebrities). The before and after photos speak for themselves. If you ever wonder why someone's skin is amazing even when their in their in their 60s and up, it's definitely because of Tretinoin, peels, and a simple skincare routine.

on 10/26/2014 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Been using this regularly for 20 years. 2 to 3 times a week.
I swear by it.

Can't live without it.

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice
Nerium AD

Video Reviews & Tutorials

February Favorites : Acne Cure, Press on Nails, Makeup & More by ItsMyRayeRaye

Top Rated Treatments (Face)