December 19, 2014 | 1472 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Derma Roller

rated 3 of 5 on 10/24/2014 3:10:00 PM More reviews by mlthom123

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Had to give 3 stars review as the at-home, little hand-held tool and professional micro needling machine ( Dermapen® Micro Needling ) are two totally different experiences:

1) At home: For last four years, use a 0.5 micro needle purchased from yourowndoc.com. Great service and website. It does help your skin accept products such as RetinA and such. I also use it on my neck and decollage. For 62, my skin in that area looks pretty good as I also use the RetinA on my neck, shoulders, and in between my breasts. You should never be heavy handed with even the 0.5 as you will caused damage. Was using it about 1 x a month. Check out the website as it clearly explains different levels of needles. Nothing dramatic but felt helping a little.
Cost: Under $25.00 for each pen.

2) Professional Dermapen® Micro Needling. Had this performed at a cosmetic surgeon's office but by a staff person trained in lasers, etc. It is TOTALLY different from the home, hand-held needle. After, I had lots of redness, bruising, scabbing, and even some lumps under my skin. Looked as if I had a really bad sunburn and scraps. Not sure if the lumps were from the needling, or the Aguaphor I was instructed to use for two days to moisturize my skin. Plus, my skin peeled for over a week. The lumps took almost two weeks to disappear.
Cost: $500 per area. I had entire face done. Does my skin look better? A little softer with one treatment, but they recommend multiple treatments for a bigger benefit. Also, am not convinced that the roughness of the treatment didn't undermine the Botox and filler I had 5 weeks prior. They claim it doesn't but the treatment is very rough. They numb you about 45 minutes prior to treatment, as there is some pain.

There are only positive reviews out there for DermaPen. Nothing negative at all. I searched all over the internet. For a few days and nothing but glowing accounts. The whole concept of micro needling is that by slightly damaging your skin, collagen production will start on its own. Makes absolute sense as the body is attempting to repair itself.

That's fine but....I think someone in their 60's is not going to see the same results as a younger woman. When a women is post-menopause, there's definite muscle loss in the face, besides everywhere else. I, me, foolishly went in with unrealistic expectations. If I want to look ten years younger, I will need a lift of some type, e.g. Quicklift.

As I paid up front for four treatments for the price of three, I will have more treatments. May have it done on the decollage area. Wherever, will definitely ask the technician to be much more gentle next time. Don't think this older face can handle that much bruising. The technician said younger women are using it on stretch marks and such with great results. The DermaPen website does show some amazing results for scarring too.

To be fair, I will update and see how subsequent treatments go. So far, no one has made any comments telling me how wonderful my skin looks. Darn...

EDIT: Because I developed hard, cyst like bumps, went back to Derm's office and they put the pre-paid money towards fillers. Later, read an article from a dermatologist who agreed the office machine should be used cautiously with mature skin. Also had CO2 laser at another plastice surgeon's office. Tech did it for $2,300. Told me would have a 50% improvement in wrinkles and old acne scars. Nope. About 15% and developed two of those hard cyst. Will stick with botox and fillers.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by summerseabreeze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

'What on earth is this medieval torture device?' Those were the first words that popped into my head when a friend suggested I try this on some pitted acne scarring I have on my upper left cheek/temple area along with stretch marks on my stomach and buttocks and a patch of thinning hair on top of my scalp. Kill three birds with one stone...really?

Let me tell you it's not as bad as it looks! Having used a 0.5mm, 1mm and 1.5mm on various areas, I have to say the sensation is akin to scratching/tingling rather than painful. An appropriate word for it would be 'irritating'. And this is coming from someone who seriously hates needles!

My routine went like this:
Saturate all areas of skin to be treated, nightly with a Vitamin C serum (from Owndoc - just add water to the powder and voila!). After a few consecutive days of doing this it would be time to 'roll', so here goes:
Wash and then steam my face to help open up the pores, followed by disinfecting with 70% ethanol and cotton. Other areas of the body I would just soak under a hot shower beforehand (no buttock-size steamer been invented yet as far as I'm aware...at least not for mine lol!)
After rolling I would soak the roller overnight in Chloramine T solution and gently rinse the rolled areas with tepid water and allow to air dry. Finally I would apply 'Infadolan' Vit A ointment on all rolled areas.
After a few days of Infadolan, once the skin has healed I would switch to Divine Herbal Facial Treatment Serum - sparingly on all areas every night until it's back to Vitamin C serum pre-rolling time again...

For scalp no need for Vitamin C or Infadolan, just the Divine Herbal Hair Oil straight after rolling and of course careful soaking of roller itself in Chloramine T solution after.

After rolling every 3 weeks (scalp 3 x per week) for 6 months this is what I noticed:

Face - (0.5mm initially and then 1mm - felt no different to shorter needle!). Pitted/sunken scarring improved by 60%-70%. I'm lucky enough not to have any lines or wrinkles (yet!) so cannot vouch for effectiveness on these although common sense would dictate it will work on the same principles it does for scarring. Very pleased overall!

Scalp - (0.5mm). I noticed my hair thicken up in an area where I had lost some. 70-80% improvement! (used roller immediately before applying Divine herbal hair oil)

Stomach - (1mm). I didn't notice any significant improvement on stretch marks until I used a single needle which is much more targeted. I found this area to be the most uncomfortable but still not significantly so to warrant stopping treatment. 50% better.

Buttocks - (1.5mm and later a single-needle). Again nothing on the stretch marks until I changed to a single needle after 3 months. Improvement around the 40-50% mark I would say which is pretty good going for just 3 months of this.

Overall I'm very pleased with results so far but got to stop rolling for now as travelling abroad. Hope to resume rolling again later next year to increase results seen so far.

What you will need:

- Dermaroller/Single needle (Owndoc or any other reliable seller)
- Chloramine T (Owndoc)
- Vitamin C powder (Owndoc or a brand version that contains up to 10% such as Obagi or Skinceuticals)
- 70% ethanol solution (various online shops, try 'Amresco' - they ship to the states and worldwide)
- Infadolan ointment (ebay or Owndoc)
- Divine Herbal facial treatment serum (Divine Herbal website or ebay)

...or if on scalp:

- Dermaroller 0.5mm or possibly 1mm (Owndoc or elsewhere)
- Chloramine T solution (Owndoc)
- Divine Herbal hair oil (Divine herbal website or ebay)

Tips:
- Use a 'non-acidic' retinoid (Vit A) product after rolling. Infadolan is the only one I can find for this purpose.
- Use the 'facial treatment serum' only once the skin has healed (normally a few days). Otherwise it will sting as contains essential oils! Use very sparingly as not much required.
- Stretch your skin with one hand whilst rolling. It will help reduce the uncomfortable sensation.
- Use common sense when purchasing a roller. I have never purchased one of the many from China that you can pick up on ebay for a few dollars (although it's tempting!) so I can't comment. but do your homework first, there are lots of companies specializing in rollers and with the expertise to match in case you require follow-up advice. I would suggest sticking to these in case anything goes wrong.

Yes if you sweat (the way we do here in the south) IT WILL STING the following day once the sweat reaches any rolled areas. And yes there will be some red spots - usually just one or two but easily covered with concealer (I know you're not supposed to but I've been fine doing this, so far. But that's just my experience!). But my philosophy is beauty comes at a price which is why I've never fallen for hype and 'magic pills'. Its the stuff you really don't want to do (think exercise, diet) or uncomfortable (botox needles or filler needles - ouch!) that actually produces results. There are no shortcuts, you have to be prepared for a degree of discomfort if you want results!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2014 7:06:00 AM More reviews by NielsC

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought a Dermaroller a 6 weeks ago and started using it about 4 weeks ago. The results are very good. I had some acne scars on my face and they are almost gone now. The brand i bought is called MNS DermaRolling. The product looks pretty low quality, as you can see here http://perfect-body.dk/dermaroller-mns but it is fine to use. The handle is a bit woubly, but the dermaroller was cheap og works fine. I hope that if I ude the roller some more, my scars will be fully gone.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2014 3:24:00 AM More reviews by lydd

I tried the 1mm roller and really loved the results! After just one treatment, I could tell that my skin was improving significantly in terms of texture and skin tone. I don't have active acne, or major acne issues. But I frequently have oil clogs/ white heads by the dozens, and I have naturally large pores. The first time I used my roller, IT HURT. My skin is rather thin, such that you can see the entire network of veins/blood vessels under them, especially in my lower cheeks. It hurt everywhere but the worst were on the forehead and above the lip, under the nose.

After rolling, I applied Aloe Vera gel generously all over my face for about 5-10min, meanwhile washing the roller with soap and water, then soaked it in 70% alcohol, removing it after 10min and allowing it to air dry completely before storing it in the container it came with (BTW, I did wash the container with alcohol too). Then I washed my face clean and applied the rest of my regular facial routine (treatment essence, rose water, rosehip oil), and went to bed. The next day, my skin was not red, but it was still a bit sore. Especially during the day, it burned/stung badly when I perspired. Imagine salt on wounds, which essentially that's what was happening when my face sweat after the rolling.

But by that night, after washing and finishing my regular facial routine, my skin texture was significantly smoother. No bumps, pores felt and looked tightened, red pimple scars were drying up fast. There were some peeling, but nothing significant, just a few flecks of white here and there.

I love this product and wished I could have found out about it earlier. Now it's just about being disciplined enough to continue using, not rushing between treatments (once every 1.5 - 2 weeks for me), and fastidiously keeping the needles clean, changing when they get blunt (every 8-12 mths).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2014 2:33:00 PM More reviews by kaore93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Violet

I'm so so so glad I found this product. After reading reviews online, and watching instruction vids on YouTube; I decided to try it, thinking that it probably wouldn't work. Before I started using it, I had slight acne scars on both of my cheeks. They were pitted and makeup/primers/pore erasers never worked on them, so I figured I was stuck with them for life. However, after using the Dermaroller on my cheeks once a week for three months (in one direction, applying sterilizing solution to my face and the roller both before and after using) I can honestly say that my scars have faded. Using the DR does hurt a little, but no more than getting cheek fillers or a microdermabrasion. It's kind of hard to get used to at first, but the results are 100% worth it. I can see myself using this for many years to come, since it can also be used to combat signs of ageing =) Amazing product.

**Just to edit my review: I recommend applying a moisturizer of some kind after using the Dermaroller (I use Medik8 Pretox Filler - which is a little pricey but works amazingly, especially on acne scars and signs of ageing - or A'kin unscented moisturizer). A natural one (no parabens, synthetic colors, fragrances etc) would be better since your pores are totally open, meaning anything you put on your skin has more chance of getting into your bloodstream.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2014 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Kimbrili

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I started using the Derma Roller approximately a year ago. I use a 1.5 every 6 weeks religiously. I use numbing cream on my face for about an hour prior to rolling. There is no way I could roll my face without it...It surprises me that some of the reviews posted state they don't need it and it doesn't hurt. I literally break out in a sweat right before I start! I do use enough pressure for the needles to completely go into my skin. Its a little un-nerving because I can hear my skin being punctured. There is some minor bleeding. As far as the results, I had a small scar on my left cheek from having a basal cell removed, and I make sure to roll over that area several times. Before I started rolling there was an obvious "dent" where the incision was, now it's not even noticeable. It looks great! I'm not sure if its just the roller that has helped, or a combination of my skin care and rolling. I use Obagi and sunscreen daily. After rolling I put Obagi CRX vitamin C serum on my face, which does have hydroquinone in it. I really think it goes in deeper and lightens my skin after rolling. There is no more brown pigmentation on my face. I have to say that my pores are smaller, there are hardly any noticeable lines on my face. My skin looks amazing for a 44 year old! I get surprised reactions from people when I tell them my age. That is a good feeling, I think I have found the anti-aging prescription for my skin. I know this process seems very barbaric, but it works, and it's a small price to pay for beautiful skin. I will continue to roll my face for years to come. I'm not going down without a fight.

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by sleekly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I accidentally ran into this product while traveling in Asia. While getting my hair done at a spa, I noticed that many beauticians were using some type of tool to "exfoliate" their clients. At the time, I didn't know that this tool was not really an exfoliating tool. Rather, it was used to intentionally damage one's skin.

What the heck?!

When I inquired as to what they were doing, the beautician explained this to me:

"Your skin has a very strong barrier to prevent water and other external elements from getting under your skin. This is why most serums and creams are not as effective as they can be.

On the one hand, it is a good thing that your skin protects itself this way. But on the other hand, it is a bad thing for "older" people because they cannot get proper nutrition to be absorbed into their skin from their creams and serums."

This made perfect sense to me. So I asked the next logical question: How does rolling your skin with sharp needles help?

The beautician answered:

"On the surface, it looks like we are hurting our clients and damaging their skin. But in reality, we are just scratching the upper layers of the skin. This causes our bodies to want to self repair. When this happens, the body actually creates good skin material like collagen."

Wow, I thought. I need to try this at home.

When I returned home, I tried the derma roller for myself. I have to be honest with you, it did hurt my face at first. I felt like a thousand needles were going to puncture my skin. When I first put the derma roller to my face, I actually recoiled.

Slowly I learned how to apply the proper pressure so that it didn't feel so prickly.

After rolling my face for a few minutes per night, I applied my serum and night conditioner.

So did it work?

Yes!! I recently had visitors whom I have not seen for sometime. The first thing they said to me was that my skin looked young and glowing. Of course I didn't believe them because I thought they were just trying to stroke my vanity.

But I also received compliments from people whom I didn't know so well.

That was enough for me to write this review and also write on Sleek.ly magazine.

I hope you find this helpful.

By the way, I also tried it on my zit that randomly popped up. Overnight, the zit was gone. I was surprised. No kidding!

Good luck to you all. I'll write another update in a couple of months after I continue to use my dermal roller.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by jicegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have had acne for years and have some scars from it. I have noticed good results from using the derma roller. The scars seem lighter and my skin seems to have generally improved.
I also have scars on my body from an automobile accident and I have gotten (super) expensive laser treatments from the dermatologist to help them go away. The derma roller seems to have almost the same results for whole lot cheaper!!
I wanted to say a few things on here because I got mine for a cheap price and it did not come with directions. There are many misconceptions about how to use it and if you use it in the wrong way it will wear out your skin and have damaging effects.
First thing, don't use it too often! They are not meant to be used every day! If you buy one with longer needles you need to use it no more than once a month. If you get shorter needles you may be able to use it once a week at most. Make sure you look this up exactly for the needle size that you purchase. Some people complain that the derma roller made their skin look red or rugged- those people are using it too often!
Second, try to avoid too much sun right after using the derma roller, especially if you bleed. The only reason for this is that sun exposure will make scaring more probable.
Also when you are using the derma roller, roll slowly and carefully.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by artsaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Where do I begin? So I initially purchased this item to combat uneven/rugged texture, scarred pores, scars, and red marks. This all is localized on my upper lip. Why? Because of botched electrolysis treatments. Before using this, I tried every damn thing out there to help get rid of the problems that I was dealing with. I even used Tretinoin 1% cream. Nothing was really working wonders like I wanted.

I was really skeptical about the dermaroller. I researched thoroughly and read through a ton of literature before I even considered buying it. I will actually post a link that not only goes through everything from a to z you would possibly need to know, but also has a video that properly demonstrates how to use the dermaroller. I want to emphasize that rolling back and forth is not the recommended way of utilizing this instrument anymore. That can cause scratching and needle marks. While this way of using it may work for some of you, there are more risks associated with rolling that way.

Anyways, I wanted to start off with a 0.5mm dermaroller. I purchased mine from SkinMedix for $28.00 I think. You can buy from ebay which has cheaper ones, but I don't really trust buying something like this from an unknown source.

I want to say that rolling doesn't have to cause bleeding. This is not how I use it. I think that puncturing the skin may benefit those who have deep scarring or wrinkles but for surface texture irregularities, I do not believe the dermaroller warrants such aggressive rolling.

That being said, I mainly use my dermaroller for product penetration. There are two ways you can achieve that. The first way, you use something (serums, creams), before you start rolling and then once applied, roll until you have your desired outcome. Also very important, don't roll with any harsh chemical based products. That's a no no. The second way would be to apply whatever serum or cream you want after you have rolled. The second way is how I have been doing it. I clean my skin, use my clean dermaroller, roll the upper lip area with a light hand, but with enough pressure to slightly inflame the skin. Then, I follow up gently applying a mixture of emu oil and tamanu oil and let that absorb into my skin. I stay red for about 20 minutes afterwards.

Some may argue that it's pointless to use the dermaroller if you aren't getting pin point bleeding and if you are rolling lightly. I have to disagree. I've seen a great difference in the texture of my upper lip and I haven't even been rolling that long.

I don't use this on other parts of my face because I have no reason to. I specifically bought this item to get rid of the horrors from electrolysis. Time will tell how effective this will be in the long run, which is why I only gave it 4 lippies. So far, I am happy with the results. The red marks that I have had in that area for 8+ months have faded, the scarred pores (different from genetically enlarged pores), have leveled and flattened out, the area is overall much brighter and even. I'm very happy that I decided to take the plunge and purchase this.

Above is the link that I found to be very useful. Just copy and paste the link into the url bar. I hope that it will guide those of you who need any help using the dermaroller!

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Gita1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Please disregard the misinformation by the reviewer below who implies that one can get tetanus from a dermaroller!! It is highly unlikely, unless you have been using your dermaroller for gardening outdoors or cleaning the litter box or if you choose to spread dirt all over your face after rolling. Tetanus is an infectious disease caused by contamination of wounds from the bacteria Clostridium tetani, or the spores they produce that live in the soil, and animal feces. There is no association with rust and tetanus. That is a myth. This came about because one could contract tetanus from an outdoor puncture wound - like from a nail in the dirt. It is not the nail or the rust but the bacterium or its spores that can cause tetanus. Just use proper hygiene and common sense. Thanks for reading. PS - I have used a dermaroller and have had no adverse effects.

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No