April 21, 2014 | 1345 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Derma Roller

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Gita1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Please disregard the misinformation by the reviewer below who implies that one can get tetanus from a dermaroller!! It is highly unlikely, unless you have been using your dermaroller for gardening outdoors or cleaning the litter box or if you choose to spread dirt all over your face after rolling. Tetanus is an infectious disease caused by contamination of wounds from the bacteria Clostridium tetani, or the spores they produce that live in the soil, and animal feces. There is no association with rust and tetanus. That is a myth. This came about because one could contract tetanus from an outdoor puncture wound - like from a nail in the dirt. It is not the nail or the rust but the bacterium or its spores that can cause tetanus. Just use proper hygiene and common sense. Thanks for reading. PS - I have used a dermaroller and have had no adverse effects.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2014 3:09:00 PM More reviews by lisflem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

PROS:
I bought a cheap one on ebay and do it myself
I feel like my skin is thicker and firmer
Wrinkles are less deep

CONS:
It hurst (not a lot)
It takes a while to see results
You have to use with totally natural skin care products otherwise harmful chemicals will get into your blood stream, yikes!

Worth it? Yes, but you have to have patience, it doesn't happen overnight!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2014 11:48:00 AM More reviews by Popelala3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Most rollers contain around 200 tiny needles that micropenetrate the skin. By rolling up and down, side to side, and diagonally, your skin becomes a porous landscape ready to receive topical products. 0.5mm is recommended for face/body while higher professional grade options include 1.0, 1.5, and rarely 2.0mm for thicker parts of the body. Anything less than 0.5mm will not induce collagen production within your skin. 0.5mm reaches the surface of your dermal layers. From there, any products applied will work 100-500x better.

BE CAREFUL about which products you apply post treatment. All-natural serums and creams are the way to go. Because these skin channels stay open for a good hour, chemical additives/preservatives will go straight into your bloodstream and might cause a hefty, red, burning reaction. I personally use Philosophy's VitC/soy serum and 3-4 scoops of pure Vitamic C booster powder. Not all ingredients in the serum are natural but it's one of the softer options out there. Stay away from using peels/retinol/vitamin A post or pre treatments as they will just irritate your skin. The day post-treatment you'll want to pile on the sunscreen since your skin remains hypersensitive for up to 24 hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by ebe99059

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am 18 and have suffered from cystic acne since I was 13 due to sensitivities to dairy and sugar. I get bad anxiety and pick my face. I've stopped mostly now, but it caused horrible scarring. Now that I have been a vegan for almost a year, my acne has gone away drastically (still a little pimples here and there). I felt so insecure about my acne scars. I literally used the derma roller once, and yes, the acne scars that made me hate my face, which I never thought would go away have almost disappeared and its only been one use! I also exfoliated my face before I used it which was important!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2014 12:47:00 PM More reviews by DJM204

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I had 5x Genuine Derma Roller treatments at a local PS office (from the aesthetician) at a whopping total cost of about $2500. The treatments were spread out of the better part of a year.
Scarring was the reason I was doing the treatments so while I did see a real improvement in the quality of my skin (i.e. clarity, no breakouts), I am disappointed that derma rolling did nothing for my scars. I have mild rolling type scars that are supposed to respond best to the treatment. Perhaps my expectations were too high? It's not like I was expecting miracles...but I did expect something.
Anyhow, I have since bought a 0.5mm home roller (from owndoc.com) since it does help slough off dead skin cells and seems to keep my skin clear of the monthly breakouts I used to get. I think it would also be good for any hyperpigmentation that resides in the epidermis (I don't have any).
Bottom line: It did not help with my scarring. I will continue to home roll but I would never again pay $2500 for something that can easily be achieved through cheaper means.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this review or the treatment in general.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 11:14:00 AM More reviews by KamiK80

I love love love the Derma Roller! Just got it 6 months ago for sun spots and uneven skin tone and love it so much that got my sister using it too. It really helps make skin appear flawless and even toned. Seriously, I've tried tonnes of high end skincare in the past and nothing helps, not even glycolic acid when it comes to olive skin tones. This device is a genius. It also helps with vitiligo I've read and hair loss, the latter part I'll try and report but if you're looking to reduce fine lines, sun sports, acne scars, blemish marks or uneven skin tone - this one's the best. Just pair it with some organic, natural skincare so no chemicals go in to the skin after use. It hurts a tiny bit but not the extent of bleeding but just a little uncomfy. I use it 3-4 times a week, the 0.75 or 0.50 mm one.

You can get different variations and models and although they are all pretty much the same, I love this one by an ebay seller:

Because it's cheap I recommend getting yourself a new one everyone 6 months or so. Oh and don't share yours with anyone. Also clean it properly before and after use.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2014 7:46:00 AM More reviews by tapanga

I have acne prone skin. I started to get terrible acne around 19. It's left me with every type of scar, unfortunately. First of all, never buy a cheap derma roller, i bought 1.5 roller for $15 and it works great.. however, i also bought a 8 dollar 1.0 roller and it did not roll loosely. It was broken right out of the package. Be sure to test them out on your hand and look closely to see if its rolling properly and not tearing your skin. I wanted to improve scars, lighten pigmentation, and decrease pore size. For those of you who have scarred pores, i highly recommend it. I'd say it shrinks them, but not much... however, it really helps the shadows that draw attention become much less noticeable It helped tighten my skin a bit as well. In terms of scars, it has helped temporary scars ( pigmentation) and texture of actual scars. It hasn't helped much with filling the contours, but all the research I've done suggests 1.5 does not puncture deep enough to help fill them in. I would recommend starting out with 1.5 to see how your skin tolerates the needles. I don't recommend a roller with acne.. it spreads the bacteria, in my experience. It does help the medicine penetrate deeper but you're rolling that bacteria across your face. I'd suggest a stamp for reducing acne ,i use the roller as a stamp for acne, until i find a small stamp online. Do i recommend derma rollers? Absolutely. It's helped more than any cream, buuut if youre looking for a product with immediate and flawless results... this will leave you disappointed. I've been using it once or twice a month for 3+ months. If you can be patient, you will see real results, unlike every cream I've tried ( literally 100s). It's definitely worth a try, any semi decent cream is at least $20, just test it out on your body first, then a portion of your face ( temple perhaps) and then the entire face. I wouldn't worry about pain.. there are spots ( for me its above my lip) that makes your eyes water a bit, but even then its not PAINFUL at all.. very minor. Hope this helps anyone who's considering a derma roller :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 2:46:00 PM More reviews by Kimmiebat

To clarify some issues people have said in the reviews: if you are prone to keloid scars, this may scar you. If you don't know what keloid scars are, then you don't have that problem most likely. Google it. You cannot sterilize this product unless you have the equipment to do so. You don't. You can disinfect it with rubbing alcohol and I recommend you do so. Wash it and air dry it-then spray with isopropyl alcohol and let that air dry. This is designed to mildly damage the skin to promote collagen production. Your skin renews itself approximately every 28 days and I recommend you use this for several months before deciding if it is helping. Your serums will penetrate better after use. Now for the potentially scary part: if you haven't had a tetanus shot in the last ten years- get one. Even stainless steel can have impurities in it, and has the potential to rust (the impurities like nickel for example). As for spreading acne-are you using acne medication? As for spreading cysts-not true. The cysts most people refer to are clogged sebaceous (oil) glands and not a bacterial problem. It doesn't spread, but hormonal issues, birth control (a hormone product) can increase the number of cysts. If you truly have cystic acne, only prescription creams will help. I hope this has been helpful to someone.

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by bb158

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the best thing I have ever discovered. It has cured my stretch marks- many are completely, 100% gone, the rest are almost undetectable. I bought this with sooooooooo much scepticism. But God knows, it worked. Have used for 18 months, and it has changed my life. It is the most annoying product in the world to use, ie. the pain, the time factor, cleaning etc. but the results are worth it.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 1:50:00 AM More reviews by JadaIgwe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It takes a long time to work but it is worth it

I use the .5 mm on my face and neck. I don't use any numbing creams. As long as I don't press it into my skin it doesn't hurt at all. That's the key to a painless procedure, I think, not to press hard. And it still works!

Regardless of the brand of roller you buy it will probably have to be replaced within 3 or 4 months so the less I have to spend, the happier I am.

I would recommend this but you have to have a bankroll to keep up with the lifespan of the product.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No