April 24, 2014 | 1999 users online

Foundations - Almay - TLC Truly Lasting Color

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by elsamarie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for the past couple of weeks waiting for something to go wrong with it. I always find something wrong with a new foundation. It oxidizes, causes a breakout, gets too oily, looks to dry, doesn't last, or doesn't match. I have always had a terrible time find a good match. Now that you understand that I'm very picky with foundation I'll say that I can't find a thing wrong with this foundation. It's really working for me. It wears very well. Last weekend I put it on at 8am and washed it off at 10pm. I looked long and hard at my face before I washed it off to see how it looked and it still looked great. It didn't separate, get oily, look icky under my eyes, pool in my pores, or wear off. It actually looked almost exactly the same as it did in the morning. I have not put powder over it because it doesn't need it. It actually looks better throughout the day because it starts to look a bit softer. I doesn't cause the skin under my eyes to look crepey at all. It also has not caused any breakouts for my sensitive skin.
I'm using Neutral and it's a great match for my NC30/35 skin.
I use one pump and apply with my finger tips by pressing it gently rather than spreading it around like a moisturizer. Any more than one pump and it starts to look cakey. I would say it has medium coverage, which I usually don't choose because I have a lot of redness and uneven skin tone, but I really like it anyway.
I don't put it on my eyelids because my eyeshadow creases terribly over this. I give the foundation a few minutes to dry while I put on my eyeshadow primer and then I'm ready to put my blush on.
You can't beat the price, either. I paid about $8 at Rite-Aid when it was on sale. Save your receipt and you can return it there if you don't like it.
I really love this foundation and I rarely say that about any foundation. I'm so thrilled that I found an affordable drugstore foundation. I will definitely buy this again and again. Please don't discontinue! It's my HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 4:47:00 PM More reviews by roman0vmarisa

I personally love this make. I have some surface acne scars and a little bit of acne and just started using proactive and threw away my other makeup that was non-com. I bought this not knowing how it would be. I absolutely love it! I don't think it's thick at all, it feels like I have nothing on my face. I usually have used heavy concealer and foundation before but with this foundation I don't need to use concealer, but I set this foundation with a little elf powder - it's cheap and the best powder I have used, even more so than bare minerals! It stays on very well, all day and it doesn't change it's color or rub off from my hands or clothes. Overall, it's fantastic. Amazing coverage. Long-lasting color, good price and it truly lasts all day.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Kelro

I'll start by giving a background here. I have suffered from acne on and off for 5 years. My skin is very oily and very sensitive (yay for me!) so needless to say, it's quite fussy. I've recently been put back in the hands of a dermatologist to get rid of the massive breakouts occurring all over my face.

That being said, my previous HG foundation was Estée Lauder Double Matte which was sadly discontinued. Foundation gods, why must you mock me?! In light of that tragedy, I was back on the hunt for a good foundation, preferably drugstore because that would make my wallet very happy!

So I go and start carefully reading labels on countless bottles, trying to find something oil free and non-comodegenic. This is surprisingly hard to find, but I picked up Almay's TLC, saw where the label stated that it met those two qualifications, and bought it.

I tried it the next day. The consistency is very thick, which was fine. I thought that meant it would cover pretty well, but sadly it did not. I first tried it with a sponge (which gave me very light coverage) and then a stippling brush. The best I got was medium coverage with the brush. Again, this was fine, I can live with things peeking through. The finish was very nice, sorta satiny on my skin. It looked natural. The color also was a good match, I purchased the shade Buff. Staying power surprised me in the best way, it lasted a good 10 hours when I wore it.

Now on to why it gets such a low rating in my book: the blemishes. Now, I normally test foundations for a while before I judge them, but I could not go more than 3 days. The first day I wore it, when I washed it off I noticed a new blemish by my nose. Although I'm used to getting face demons, my face has been free of new ones since starting my new acne routine. I brushed it off as nothing and applied again the next day. Once again, when I was removing it at the end of the day there was a new blemish, only this time on my cheek and quite painful. At this point, I was pretty sure it was the foundation, but I decided to try it one last day just to be sure. Big mistake. As I took my makeup off, not only was the one on my cheek significantly bigger and more painful, there was the addition of two more blemishes on the same cheek. That was the final straw for me.

To wrap this up, I wanted to like this foundation because it looked great on, lasted, and was easy on the bank account, but I suffer from enough acne without a foundation adding more to it. It may claim to not be pore clogging, but I beg to differ.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by oscarnabby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is another foundation that is going back to Rite Aid after only one use (the other being Revlon Photoready), and for almost the same reasons. This foundation was stinging my skin the moment I put it on. I wore it the whole day anyway (I know, I know...pretty stupid but my skin is rarely that sensitive). After the initial stinging went away, I noticed that my face just felt tighter and tighter all day. Stinging sensation returned after about five hours of wear. My wrinkles under my eyes looked horrendous. I couldn't take it anymore, and went to wash it off, and when I took out my contacts and could see my skin close up, I was oddly fascinated to observe that it seemed to have caused my entire chin to peel, and the foundation was caked around the peelie islands. Aside from the fact that my skin hated this foundation like a mofo, I can't think of any redeeming quality to it aside from the nice pump bottle. It didn't provide much coverage at all, and the color selection is severely lacking. I would need a warm shade between neutral and buff, which they don't have (NC25).

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 3:40:00 AM More reviews by gmmuto48

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

So I love/hate this product. Here is a quick overview of why and further down I'll put more details for those of you who aren't in a hurry/ are more thorough when deciding on a potentially new product.

Love:
- Consistency
- Coverage
- Lasts All Day (12 Hours)
- Looks Natural/Skin Like
- Velvet Matte
- Also my face has not broken out once this whole month with this product- even through stress and humidity and TOM- not one single zit which is a miracle!

Hate:
- Color Range= too pink/dark (I got the shade 120)
- Oxidizes BIG TIME
- Settles in fine lines under eyes and accentuates them! (only 21! my eyes should not look like I'm 50!)
-Drying Time (15 minutes)

Love Details:
-Consistency: Very thick/ creamy- just nice (I apply with a beauty blender)

-Coverage: Evens out skin but will need concealer for under eyes- I can't really say how well it covers zits because this makeup didn't clog my pores enough to get one! :D despite being very hard to take off at night :P

-Lasting Power: This foundation really does last all day. I have had the opportunity to try it out in every climate over this month- from freezing with ice to humid and sunny 85 degrees. I'm a college student so I need my makeup to last my 12 hour school days from 8am when I put it on to about 9 at night and this stays on although it does get a little shiny (but not oily looking) around 10 hours but that's still better than most! Also I do wear a primer and I DON'T set it with powder and I DON'T blot either.. foundation is garbage to me if I have to do either of those two things.

-Looks: This makeup also looks like my skin which is so refreshing to find in a matte foundation! That being said... It doesn't really help cover pores if that's something you're looking for but it doesn't accentuate them either. Also the matte is velvet not just flat looking which is nice also because for everyday you just don't want to look super fake/perfect just mostly perfect.

- Skin Types: I have combination/oily skin and I find that makeup can break me out, especially some of Revlon's line like the Colorstay Whipped and Kat Von D's Lock It Tattoo Foundation but this foundation actually allowed my pores to stay clear enough to the extent that I was able to keep an acne free face which I didn't know was possible with a liquid foundation. I also found that on the icy/dry days of this month, this foundation did not accentuate any dry patches I had which is also nice because then you can wear it during any season.

Hate Details:
-Color Range: Looking at this in the store I knew it was going to be too pink/ dark but I picked it up anyways in hope that it would blend out which it does but then it oxidizes but I'll get to that later. But anyways there's only like 6 shades so very poor color range form Almay. :P

-Oxidizing: Yaayyy! Who doesn't love an orange face?? So yeah, it's very strange because this makeup although too pink, it blends out and while it's wet, it matches my neck which is white/yellowy so I have no idea what's going on with this makeup! First it's too pink, then it's good and then it turns orange so who knows! All I know is that anyone can tell that my face is orange and dark even with inside lighting! Outside is probably even worse! So that's my major con with this makeup and why I probably won't buy it again.

-Settles: This makes me so mad.. like almost perfect foundation but then it makes my eyes look so old its not even kind of acceptable. Although it doesn't settle into my smile lines which is just beyond me because you'd think it would do both if it did one? So another huge con for me.. nobody wants to look 30 years older than they actually are.

-Drying Time: This is just annoying and it really confused me the first I tried this product. When I put this on, it looks like my face is sweating.. like not oily or dewy but sweating and its not pretty. So the first time I put it on, I was like euww.. and walked out the door (for class) and hoped it would dry by the time I got there. Also this takes like 15 MINUTES to dry on my face! That's soooooo long! And annoying! My blush brush is absolutely disgusting looking because the foundation is still wet when I put my blush on because who has an extra 15 minutes in the morning to wait for their makeup to dry? Not me.

SO do I recommend this makeup? Yes and no.. If you can find a good match in the store and you do not tend to oxidize then yes. But if you do tend to oxidize and you can't really find a good match I'd say skip it and spend your 14 bucks elsewhere.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2014 8:04:00 AM More reviews by allycat7005

This foundation is awful. It's not easy to blend, and no matter how much you try, it always looks cakey. This foundation is NOT meant for dry skin. A couple of hours after I applied it, I noticed that the skin on my nose stated peeling. Will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Boricua333

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm not going to call it a Holy Grail foundation, because I don't think that really exists for me. When it comes to foundation, I like to mix it up. Some days I wear a very light foundation with concealer, other days I want a doll-like Colorstay finish. My foundation preference depends on the occasion, my mood, and the condition of my skin. That being said, (and I hope this does not come off as contradictory) if I wasn't as fussy, this would be HG.

MY SKIN: I will try to make this section brief, since it's proabably not ejoyable to read and it's not enjoyable for me to write. :/ I am very acne prone and oily. I have hormonal, cystic acne as well as white heads that cover my cheeks, cheek bones, jaw line, and chin. I'm sure it's not the worst acne a person has ever seen, but some days it can be a nightmare. I have a lot of blackheads on my nose, cheeks, and chin because of my very oily complexion. My face is so oily that an ELDW Rep. that was matching me to foundation actually said, "Wow you're very oily, aren't you?"

FINISH: This foundation has a very smooth, matte finish, but the formulation doesn't have the mask-like finish that Revlon Colorstay or ELDW has. My face truly has that "my skin but better" look with this foundation. On rare occasions, it might be little more matte than I would want (because, once again, I can be fussy and I like to mix it up), but since I'm an oily disaster this is something I'm probably going to reach for a lot. If you're dry, this is NOT the foundation for you. The finish is not luminous, sticky, wet, or satiny whatsoever and would definitely emphasize dry patches.

COVERAGE: This is a medium coverage foundation. I think this does what, ideally, foundation is supposed to do. The foundation creates a smooth base for the rest of your make up by covering most acne scarring and redness. I would not describe this as full coverage because it didn't cover my very deep acne scarring and prominent cysts, but most full coverage foundations that can do this tend to look cakey. I prefer to have a light base, building it up as much as possible without looking cakey. Then, I would take a concealer and dot it on the imperfections that I couldn't cover with the foundation. I would prefer to use two products, than build up a high coverage foundation and look cakey. I don't always have to look perfectly made-up and fully concealed, sometimes I don't mind having some of my imperfections show as long as the foundation improves the overall look of my skin.

SIDENOTE: This is possibly my favorite thing about this foundation mostly because I never believed it could be possible until now. I'm not sure if this is also related to the finish, but I could honestly say that this is the most comfortable foundation I have EVER put on. I've never understood how people could sleep with foundation on. Usually, throughout the day, my foundation feels very heavy and oily on my face. I always feel freed whenever I take off any foundation, no matter how light-coverage it claims to be. I didn't encounter any heaviness with this foundation, although it is medium-coverage and long-lasting. In fact, I almost fell asleep with this on. I could touch my face and lie down on a pillow without worrying about the foundation transferring, and that is a miracle to me.

LONGEVITY: This stuff stays on better than Colorstay! I couldn't believe that after an entire day (9:30am-9pm) it was almost exactly in the same condition that I applied it in the morning. My nose area, the oiliest part of my face, was still perfectly matte. On some of the acne markings, it wore away a little. I could tell the markings weren't as concealed with foundation as I had previously concealed them. This is not a big deal, because my face still looked matte and put-together, just not as perfectly concealed as before. With a primer and a good concealer, this won't even be an issue. :D

PRICE: This foundation was about $11-$13. I have tried many high-end foundations-- Mac Studio Fix Fluid, Makeup Forever HD foundation, ELDW-- and some of these are entirely worth the money, but the price tag does not always guarantee great results. A lot of these high-end foundations have the same ingredients as drugstore foundations and break me out equally. Consumers are usually just paying more for the brand name. Try this out even if you prefer buying high-end foundations, you might save yourself a lot of money.

CONSISTENCY: This is hard to explain, but I'll give it my best shot. :P This is the thickest liquid foundation I've tried. It's very emollient, yet it's still liquidy enough to pump out of the bottle. If someone took a whipped or mousse foundation and mixed/diluted it with water, it would have the texture of this foundation.

APPLICATION: Since the foundation is creamy, I like to pat this on with my fingers and then l pat a damp sponge to blend it out even more. The damp sponge is not necessary, but it helps to blend it out. I didn't find this foundation very hard to apply, just make sure to do light, patting motions.

PACKAGING: It has a pump! And 1.0 fl. oz amount of product. :D

OTHER: I'm NC15 in MAC and TLC's Buff/Chamois 140 matched my skin perfectly.

UPDATE: I still like this foundation, but I realize that it oxidizes on me. I love the texture and longevity of this foundation, so I still use it and I mix it with other foundations; but it turns into a more yellow shade after wearing it for awhile. I wish Almay would improve the color range and the oxidizing problems. :/

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by knt2009

This is honestly one of the worst foundations I have ever used. I tried it on myself, my best friend, and my sister. We all have different skin types and it looked horribly dry on all of us. No matter what i put under or over this foundation It just looks dry and scaly. I DO NOT recommend this for anyone but especially those with dry/mature skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by CaveofWonders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So far this is the only foundation from the drugstore i've tried that keeps my skin matte. I have very oily skin and whatever foundation i wear will usually be shiny within a few hours. This foundation doesn't do that. It keeps me matte all day. On that note i don't think it would be good for dry skin. On dry skin it could probably be patchy or something. The dry consistency is what keeps my oil at bay and looks quite flawless on my skin. This foundation is also quick to dry as you're blending. I recommend using a flat top brush with this to get best results. Also i have medium skin with yellow undertones so i got the color sand which fits me well but is just one shade lighter than my skin color. The coverage of this foundation on me feels like full coverage because i really don't need much coverage anyway but i've read some reviews that don't think its full coverage. So i really don't know but i think its medium coverage. Overall though I very much like this foundation and will keep repurchasing as this is my 2nd time buying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by Wacole1069

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Amazing Foundation!! I normally use Lancôme tient idole ultra 24 hour foundation and this foundation is very compatible in wear as the lancome. It gives a beautiful full coverage in my opinion,it is very buildable and is easy to apply. The texture is somewhat thick but creamy. It rubs in nicely and you can easily add to it as long as your skin is well moisturizer. I come home at the end of a 12 hour day and it looks just as good as when I left. I do use a primer and powder to set it. I got the color neutral 220 and it is not perfect but it is really close and it offers everything else I'm looking for in a foundation for $11!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No