December 21, 2014 | 1819 users online

Lips - Morpho Cosmetics Lip Stain

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by Sarasotagirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The best lip product on Earth.

That is, if you want a lip color that is absolutely weightless and super-comfortable, non-drying, very long-lasting, completely undetectable and tinted the color your lips SHOULD be. But if you'd rather have something heavy or drying or quick-fading or otherwise old-fashioned ....

I was devoted to Morpho Cosmetics' stains and glosses a few years ago, buying them from Morpho's website. Then the website went down and I feared that the small company had failed and I would have to find something else to wear. I admit, I moved on.

But then I discovered that Morpho now has a storefront on Amazon. The joy! I quickly ordered Zinnia, and it is every bit as good as I remember.

This is a liquid lip stain similar in texture to Benetint. Maybe slightly thicker. But there the comparisons really end. Morpho's lip stain goes on more smoothly and with more pigment than Benefit's, is less drying and lasts longer. It will last until I eat something greasy. It doesn't transfer, and it won't budge from just a cup of coffee. I know all lip stains claim to do that, but this one really does.

Zinnia comes with a doefoot applicator, but I like to use a lip brush for precision. And here's why: One thin layer makes my lips the color they were 10 years ago, and it looks absolutely like skin, not lip product. Think about that. This is a lip product that really is My Lips But Better (or, Younger).

Two thin layers give me a slightly more made-up look, but the reddish-plummish-brownishness still looks very natural. If you're very cool-toned, you might want to try Snapdragon, but I think Zinnia would work for many skin tones.

So, Zinnia is the base to my lip color every single day. If I want to look like I'm not wearing makeup, then it's one thin layer of Zinnia and maybe a clear balm over it. If I want an understated look, I top Zinnia with Morpho's gloss in Nabi, a rose-beige. If I want more oomph, then I'll go for the gloss in Farfalle, which has some gold to it. And if I want a va-voom lip, I might do two layers of Zinnia with a topper of Cho Cho, a gorgeous warm red (I think I reviewed that one a couple of years ago). Or, I use some of Morpho's lip pencils to alter the color a bit. At any rate, the Zinnia base means that even after everything else wears off, I still have enough color to not look like a corpse.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 4:38:00 PM More reviews by michellehelm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As suggested in my review of Morpho's wonderful lip-glosses, I alluded to the fact that I, ummm, have a LOT of glosses on hand that I can see this company's product replacing nearly across the board. But don't EVEN get me started on lip-stains. I **live** for stained lips, ones I can apply early in the day, then essentially forget about until bedtime. Yes: I am a total stain-slut.
I have Morpho's stain in Snapdragon, and while I don't know if I'm an LMNOP-25 or a MG-whatever, I seamlessly wear a 4 in the Armani Face Fabric Foundation World, if that helps. And this color, once blotted and set and balmed or glossed over (or NOT), settles into the most flattering and gentle red on me and STAYS THE HECK PUT.
Also, even if this were somehow hideous, dreadful stuff (which it is absolutely NOT), the company's customer service is so thoughtful & specialized that I'd continue to purchase this ANYway. I want to see this line of really well-conceived, easily-procured, high-quality products bust through the dust-cloud that is The Cosmetics Industry -- Morpho's lip products are *just that good*. So glad that I stumbled into them... Thanks, Interweb!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 1:10:00 PM More reviews by llg130

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I agree with the general consensus. This is such a beautiful shade. Gives me that vampy look, and does not budge! The company is awesome. I also got the complimentary lipliner, with a personal note. After trying many lipstains, this definitely wears the most even. I put it on and blend lightly with a q-tip, because I am telling you if you use a finger, it will be stained! Seriously, this does not move. I also enjoy the minty sensation. I am really glad I purchased this off Amazon. Was $20, which isn't cheap, but you have to use such a small amount,. I'll have this forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by Thumbelina1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the ultimate if you're looking for a lip stain. Very high quality and not drying at all. Nice and tingly; I agree with the other reviewer that it helps to plump the lips a bit. I tried this in Snap Dragon, which starts off as a gorgeous blood red and gradually fades to a Merlot color throughout the day. Once it's dry you can lightly apply a lip balm without disturbing the color, but be sure to exfoliate your lips and moisturize them before application, of course. Keep in mind that although it's opaque and can go dark and vampy, this is still the look of a stain and it won't give you the pinup, classic red lip look unless you use it with her lip liner. Janine gives superb customer service - every question I had she answered promptly herself and in detail.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2010 6:35:00 PM More reviews by TrizyDLuX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've tried a LOT of lip stains, and these are my favorite! I have and use both colors regularly. I'd love for them to come out with more shades, but I love the two shades they do have.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2010 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Redmosaic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Tiddlywinks review helped me decide to try this, because I too have tried a huge variety of stains. My natural lips, though full, are pale, and I like the look of color on my lips. After blowing too much money on Lip Ink ( NO more) , I decided to try the Snapdragon.
First of all, the customer service is fantastic, I emailed some questions and the owner of the company wrote me back right away and was so helpful.
I have had my tube of this gorgeously deep blood red stain for almost a year, and I still have 2/3rds left. It is quite concentrated.
The product itself is a watery gel, and like someone here said, DO use a reverse lip liner to keep the gel from seeping. I have applied it lightly and buffed to a stain, or heavily, after lip liner, and each way it is beautiful. The red is a deep wine red, with a teeny minty tingle. It isnt advertised as a lip plumper but I think because it clings so well and colors so richly, it makes my lips look fuller.
The taste is not SO wonderful, a little bitter, a little minty, but not nearly as bad as many other lipsticks and stains.
If you want a rich red that offers a lot of ways to play with it, this is one to try.
I have not tried the Zinnia, but it sounds just as good, maybe for the gym etc...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2009 12:12:00 AM More reviews by lcarlis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree with the previous post about the snapdragon color--this always has a very magenta tone on me. the color description is not accurate on the website.
With auburn hair this is definitely a no-go for me. I did not have great luck with longevity with this stain either.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2009 8:46:00 AM More reviews by crissieadupree

I've been using lip stains for about 5 or 6 years. The staying power of this lip stain is phenomenal. The packaging is beautiful. I ordered the snapdragon lip stain and cho cho lip gloss. My shipment arrived very quickly and I was VERY pleased to find they included a full-size lip pencil in Zanga FREE! YAY!

Now on with the details of Snapdragon. When I first put it on it looks like an incredibly bold deep red. When I go through the process of applying and blot off the excess it has very strong magenta undertones. (Think MAC Dubbonet) It's very pretty but the color is not for me. However - if you like magenta or Dubbonet you will probably love this! I put it on and it stays on until the next day! The wear of the product, formula, packaging, etc are all 5 star but the color is only 2 stars. I gave it only 4 lippies because they advertise this as a brown-red and it's NOT.

How I use lip stains: I outline the outer edge of my lips with a CLEAR lip liner to prevent bleeding. I apply one coat of stain and let it set for at least 10-15 minutes. I dampen a paper towel and kiss off all excess stain, and repeat the process a second time. I then top my lips with chap stick or lip gloss.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2008 5:43:00 PM More reviews by tiddleywinks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh. My. Gosh. This is an update, y'all. It's just so incredible! I applied Morpho Snapdragon lipstain this morning at 6:00 a.m. I just got home at 4:00 p.m. It is still Perfect! You have got to try this stuff! I did go in at lunch to put some more lipgloss over it, but the color/stain is still there without any touchup.
Ooh, la la! I have finally found a truly wonderful lipstain! I betcha I have tried them all, too. MAC, NARS, Chanel, Vincent Longo, Urban Decay, Benetint, Styl'o, LipSense, Laura Mercier, Revlon and other drugstore brands, and more. It's been a long quest, and all, to be sure, very noble in the pursuit of the betterment of mankind. At least I have to say that to justify the mad, mad expenditures. I have Morpho in the two shades they offer. Zinnia is a rosy neutral/natural and Snapdragon is a perfect red. I get hours of wear, longer than any other I have tried, particularly with the Snapdragon. These live up to the promise of staying power through meals, talking and exercise. The texture upon application is a very light gel, and after a moment it is dry. While it doesn't dry your lips, I still like to top it with gloss. I have tried these with a dozen different lipglosses, including the Morpho brand, and any brand does just fine. As the gloss, as glosses do, wears away, the stain does not. Ulike LipInk, Mac Factor, Revlon and Cover Girl, which wear away oddly, this doesn't. It does not leave that awful ring of color on your lower lip; it fades very evenly. I don't quite get the 8 hours of wear promised from the Zinnia, but I do with the Snapdragon. The Zinnia stays for about 6 hours, but if I reapply then, it will, oddly last another 8 with the second application. Interesting. None of the other concerns that I hear with Benetint, etc, happen with spillage, and the wand has a doefoot tip. Unfortunately, their only stores are in Illinois, but there website is great, and the customer service excellent. The price is around $20, a bit steep, but still less than Chanel and the higher end brands, and a large amount is in the containers. I will definitely repurchase, and the only thing I would complain about is that they need to create more colors! I need a pink and a berry!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2007 8:15:00 PM More reviews by dissed

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Don't know why I haven't reviewed this before . . . it's just about perfect. The doefoot applicator is nice and spongy, so you don't have to inadvertently apply too much product. As far as that goes, just slap a dot of product onto the center of each lip, blend with a finger, and you're good for several hours. This is a matte stain, so you'll want to use a balm. There are two colors, red and brownish-red. I'm (former) brunette with sallow skin, and the brownish color is excellent. Two thumbs up, as they say. www.morphocosmetics.com

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No