December 22, 2014 | 1763 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #311 lipliner brush [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 7:06:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I originally purchased this brush thinking I need it for my lips, but oddly enough I never tried it for it's intended use. Instead it has become one staples for applying high lighter to the inner corner of my eyes or when I want a slight shimmer directly underneath my brow bone placed on top of a matte shadow. I've also used this brush from time to time to apply concealer to spots. Love this brush for it's precision and it's quality.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2010 7:55:00 PM More reviews by mimifrenzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't know this was a "lipliner" brush. I used it for gel liner. So anyway, you have to be somewhat good at lining your top lid if you want to use this brush. I have a hard time making thin lines with this brush. It hasn't really been touched since i bought it. I use my 226 instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the only brush I use to put on my eyeliner now...it just works amazing to get that perfect line and it really hugs close to the lash line.

I never really got this for a lip lining brush mainly because the MAC MA that I'm friends with always uses this for eyeliner

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2008 10:22:00 AM More reviews by Sphirex

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The Brush quality is very nice, though on mine the fibres just don't come to a decent point. It was noticeable the second I got it out of the box, some of the outer fibres stray from the tapering tip, which is very unhelpful when I'm applying liner precisely. Maybe I just got a faulty brush, whatever the answer, I am dissatisfied.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2008 11:53:00 AM More reviews by ilorietta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best eye liner brush ever! why does noone talk about it!??? I bought several Mac and pout ones but this is by far the easiest to use :) it's love! <3

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2008 10:56:00 PM More reviews by Sanazi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I initially bought this as a lip brush but didn't really like it.

Then i saw the reviews here and started using it to blend and shape (like give a pointy tail to) my pencil eyeliners and i like it for that.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2007 3:31:00 PM More reviews by starspex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

love this brush! required no practice for me what-so-ever to master this!its small but remians stiff enuough to allow precise application!!the SA recommeded this to me as soon as i mentioned i wanted to apply MAC eyeshadow as an eyeliner and its works wonders!i recieved a compliment about my eyeliner today aswel!! im sure this is prob better than actual eyeliner brushes wich ive heard can be rather flimsy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2007 4:36:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just got this. I like it, but I think it's going to take some practice before I can use it easily.

This morning, I tried the 311 with Blacktrack Fluidline. I started on the inside corner with the brush held so as to make a very thin line. The trouble came when I tried to get fancy and make the line thicker at the outer third of my lid. I ended up making a jagged line from lashline to crease, which was *not* the look I was seeking.

This seems like a good brush, though; it's not too soft and not too stiff.
And, as others have observed, you can rotate the brush to make a thin line or a thicker one. I would not advise trying to rotate the brush mid-stroke, though. ;)
I'll practice with this one, and update later.
UPDATE: After a few weeks of use, I am pleased to report that I think I've found my HG eyeliner brush in the 311. Since I have impaired vision and the use of only one hand, I'm at a disadavantage in the realm of eyelining. However, lately my liner has looked great, thanks to Blacktrack and the 311. This brush *does* require some practice, but it's worth it!
FINAL NOTE: I love, love, love this brush, now that I've gotten used to it! Don't underestimate this little wonder.

Even with my physical limitations(poor vision, full use of only one hand/arm), my 311 helps me achieve a thin, tight line close to my upper lashes about 99% of the time, even with gel liner, which is not exactly famous for being easy to use. For me, 311 + Blacktrack + Carbon(eyeshadow)= a perfectly defined yet not harsh upper lash line. If you tend to have trouble controling an eyeliner brush, but want a thin line, I highly recommend the 311. It's been magical for me!
I recently talked a friend into trying Fluidline, and of course that meant that she HAD to get a 311, and she lovesboth the brush and the liner as much as I do! If you're going to wear gel eyeliner, the 311 really is a must-have. I cannot rave enough about this one! I'll probably even buy another, just for peace of mind.
Okay, I did add a second 311 to my arsenal, for the purpose of lining my lower lashline. Since I use a very dark color, Blacktrack, for lining my upper lashline, I wanted a separate, dedicated 311 for lining the lower lashline with a lighter color. To my surprise, I find that the 311 doesn't seem to work *quite* as well along the lower lashline as it does on the upper. It's still an excellent brush, though, and its five lippies rating stands. I probably just need some practice.
Addendum: Good grief! I just KNEW that an eyeliner brush couldn't get any better than this, but I've now discovered the 263 small angle brush. I think the 263 is even more precise than the 311. The 263 yields a razor-thin line that gives me that coveted "Is-she-wearing-eyeliner-or-does-she-just-have-naturally-thick-lashes?" look. So I'm reluctantly changing the 311 to a "wouldn't buy again." It's still a fabulous brush, though. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2007 11:32:00 AM More reviews by tshinn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This lip brush is fantastic! I bought this with the intention of using it to apply my gel eyeliner in Blacktrack (also by MAC). One of the SAs/MUAs recommended the angled brush for the gel liner but when I tried to recreate the awesome winged cat eye look she gave me in-store, I had a difficult time with the brush and the liner looked stupid. I read the reviews here regarding the 311 brush and how many used it for their eye liners as well even though it is a lip brush. Well, to all you lovely, fellow MakeupAlley darlings, I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for all your reviews and suggestions! I was 'this close' to chucking the liner in the garbage and going back to Chanel for their eyeliner 'pen.' But the reviews on this brush really helped and now the liner goes on like a dream and my winged cat eyes finally look decent. And, the brush actually seemed to help the application itself be more efficient and not so time consuming. I should go back soon and stock up on this brush just in case something should happen to my new, beloved 311 brush. Fabulous!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2007 6:31:00 PM More reviews by maxinerz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this for my fluidline. It's very versatile. Use it flat for a thick line or on the side to create a perfectly pointy cat-eye. Amazing.