August 21, 2014 | 1167 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford - Black Orchid Voile de Fleur

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by stls

First of all Voile de Fleur has absolutely nothing in common with the original Black Orchid; they are both deep and intoxicating but that's all.
While the original is more creative and harder to wear with the thick dark chocolate, patchouli, incense, truffle and a base heavy on the vetiver, Voile de Fleur is much softer, a luscious bouquet of slightly indolic white flowers without dramatic changes towards the drydown.

Consists mainly of indolic white flowers (mostly honeysuckle on me) and gardenia, lily, ylang ylang and plums. There are some typically oriental notes as well like sandalwood, resins and spices. That's probably why I like it - and I'm not a floral lover. It also has a creamy quality that compliments the buttery gardenia nicely. It's on the strong side and longlasting. And of course the bottle is sleek and classy.

I can see Voile de Fleur working very well during warm summer evenings when the honeysuckle blooms naturally. It smells retro and contemporary at the same time, very feminine. That's the one I would wear on a cloudy winter day with a gray tweed pencil skirt and white silk blouse to watch Vertigo again. Lovely.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by sillage

I'm a Fall/Winter girl -- I love thunderstorms, rain -- I love dark ominous clouds & dark eerie weather where you feel alone & private. Tom Ford Black Orchid EDP and its EDT version, Voile de Fleur, are great noir scents for such noir weather. Their 2 bottles are identical except for label colors (EDP gold plate, EDT plain black), so it's easy to get them mixed up.

Voile is more floral and more polite -- it's lacking a strong resiny basenote that Black Orchid has, and I find Voile a bit easier to wear. However I own, love, and wear both. They're the same basic scent -- Black Orchid (EDP) is deeper/richer than Voile (EDT), which is more floral.

Notes of Voile de Fleur, per Fragrantica.com: "New floral, lighter version (of Black Orchid) ... It kept black truffle and the other top notes. The composition is reined by the white flowers: honeysuckle, gardenia and lily; but it also has its black side, being a Tom Ford fragrance: black orchid, black plum and black pepper. Oriental notes are soft and sensuous: warm milk, cinnamon, vanilla, patchouli and sandalwood." Delicious notes!

It's currently hot, humid, sunny mid-July, yet I needed comfort *now* (due to stress at work), so I've pulled out and am wearing my Voile de Fleur today (Sunday). And it's doing its magic. Ahh, comfort. Summer scents are too bright and outgoing -- sometimes I need an introverted dark comfort scent, summer or no summer. Voile de Fleur is a dark soothing one, to me.

I think I find Voile de Fleur so comforting because it takes me way back -- but to what, I'm not sure. Styx by Coty (which I *loved*)?, or My Sin perhaps? KL by Lagerfeld? Drama by Stagelight Cosmetics?

But I think it really takes me back to an unidentified gorgeous dark-colored perfume oil that I used to wear in my college days. Voile smells VERY de-ja vu to me. I went to college in the early 70's, head shops were all over campus, Hair was on Broadway, and there were lots of perfume oils -- and I wore them. Voile de Fleur takes me back to my college days, but I'm not sure why -- I can almost hear my old college record albums (esp. Seals & Crofts) playing when I wear it.

(Side Note: I have read that Michael Jackson wore Black Orchid EDP.)

For me, Black Orchid EDP and Voile de Fleur EDT are personal comfort scents that are strong & lasting, have great sillage -- but I don't think either is a good office scent. The trouble with both of them is they're *very* strong! I reserve them for home & open uncrowded spaces -- and I apply in very small amounts, just for me.

Both Black Orchid EDP and Voile de Fleur EDT (basically the same scent in darker & lighter versions) are elegant, rich, deep, complex, exotic, beautiful *beautiful* scents!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 6:20:00 AM More reviews by mysterious_scent

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A big bouquet of white flowers, mainly tuberose, plus some gardenia, with a strong toffee note from top to down. It's heady at the start but melts well on my skin. Simply lovely.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2010 12:10:00 PM More reviews by smellycheese

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this online thinking it was the BO and frantically looked on here etc for reviews comparing BO and VdF edt wondering if I'd made a big booboo. Actually I'm surpised, I like both but are definitely different. The VdF is a pungent blast of florals, it possesses an old school 30's charm (not old lady tho, no sireee) such as Fracas, Songes, and L'artisan's Tubereuse also comes to mind. It feels friendlier and more indulgent than those others to me. VdF dries down to what I hoped AG Songes would be, Songes has a headachy note which I cant bear after a while although on paper I love the chorus of flowers. VdF is a less intense version of that with a hint of the signature BO.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/14/2010 8:39:00 PM More reviews by matissia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I give it to my younger sister because I absolutely hate the gardenia and honeysuckle scents in Voile de Fleur.

I really prefer the original Black Orchid!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2009 5:12:00 PM More reviews by stephhamilton

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Its loud and proud really, it pretty much screams look at me! It feels very eighties to me, like the cast of dynasty would be wearing it!
Its very well done, a very sophisticated floral but its too much for me too perfumey.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2009 10:01:00 AM More reviews by KKAI

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Definitely a strong and "musty" fragrance, although it is an edt.It is supposed to be a floral but, it is not sweet and fresh but warm and "dirty". Very complex and sophisticated, definitely not a "girly" scent. I think it is mainly a winter fragrance and can be worn night and day (lightly) and certainly gives a sexy vibe. Staying power is relatively good. Compared to the original Black Orchid ( which I love), it is lighter and easier to wear, though the similarities are pretty strong. Currently contemplating about buying a full bottle.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2009 11:39:00 AM More reviews by Emese1

I only tried this once and I haven't had the money to buy it yet. But I really like it. It smells 'expensive', 'glamourous' and 'loud'. I wish the flower notes were less. But I definitely like the whole composition, especially later when the flower notes have faded somewhat. It's not for everyday wear and not if you want to go unnoticed. I was with a male friend when I tried it and he liked it, too. The base is so rich and sweet. Kind of like 'sticky' sweet, but that's the best thing about it. : )
I've not tried Black Orchid so I don't know if that would be even more my cup of tea, though I heard that the two don't have much in common.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2009 7:37:00 PM More reviews by mmhilla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I will give this 5 stars.
I am not usually a gardenia/orchid and tuberose lover but I allowed myself to spray liberally (not good, very sickly sweet floral) and waited. after awhile i felt the warmth of the fragrance and the genious behind the compilation. It enveloped me in a warm, but sexy embrace.
it is not a scent I will wear every day, but what one is?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2009 8:12:00 PM More reviews by essija

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is heavy on the Gardenia and Honeysuckle notes. Imo this is much heavier than black orchid. Though I prefer BO to VDF I do like The more floral notes I get from VDF. Would be nice to wear on certain occasions but I don't know if my office could handle this one, but I will give it a try, b/c I wear whatever I want anyway!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No