April 20, 2014 | 1027 users online

Cleansers - Clarins - Pure Melt Cleansing Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2014 6:53:00 AM More reviews by RM077

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my favourite cleanser! It comes out of the tube like a gel and when massaged onto dry skin the texture changes into an oil which I find removes makeup really well. You then rinse it off with water. I love this because it leaves my skin feeling so clean and fresh but also really smooth, but with no residue. It's so much nicer and gentler than foaming face washes which I find can leave my skin feeling tight and uncomfortable, especially as my skin is dry and dehydrated but still prone to the odd blemishes. This is the best cleanser I've used for keeping my skin clear and clean.

A little of this goes a long way so a tube lasts ages and it has a really nice orangey scent too.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by daisydaisys

Not a fan. Not dreadful but not really any good. Strange texture- not a balm but not a wash or an oil. I would stick to a balm or a wash and not bother with this product. A bit over perfumed and hence irritating to the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 5:45:00 PM More reviews by liselorebon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love everything about this cleanser. Unlike some others here, I feel like this cleans my face better than other cleansers. I like that it starts out as a gel, forming into an oil, this a lot less messy than a liquid oil cleanser. Big advantage!

Whenever I wear heavy makeup, which in my case is never heavier than tinted moisturizer or a BB cream, it feels like this cleanser really breaks down the product and "melts" it off my face -just as it says. I don't wear foundation, but I would imagine that it would work great with that too. I do use a separate eye makeup remover beforehand.

I make sure I rinse it off and I always use a cloth to remove everything. If not, I think it would leave a film on my skin.

Finally, I absolutely love the smell. I realise that when that is the case, it can also be offensive to others. This is not a scent you can ignore!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by damzelsdiamond

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This starts off as a gel and melts into an oil upon contact with the skin. For an oil it feels non greasy and does a good job of removing make up from the skin but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to "love it". If like me, you enjoy the super clean feeling of a foaming cleanser you may be put off by the idea of using an oil. It did its job in that it removed my foundation fully but I didn't feel like it got my skin clean enough. Also, I can't get my head around a skincare product being for "all skin types" I rarely believe in those.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 10:00:00 PM More reviews by LindseyAnne

I have very mixed feelings about this product. Eventhough I have oilier skin, I like using cleansing oils to take off my makeup because they completely break down everything without stripping the skin. I've been using the Lancome Creme Douceur which is a very similar product. I do prefer that one because after you rinse, there isn't the slighest oily feeling. Just soft and nourished skin. The Pure Melt does do a good job of removing make up, but it does feel a little oilier than the Lancome. It is to rubbed into DRY skin and then rinsed off. I cleanse after using this product and the oily feeling goes away. It's definitely a good product and I like using it but I wouldn't repurshase it probably just because I like the Lancome version more. It's the same price and the same size, while being thicker and just feeling a little bit nicer. Definitely not a bad product at all though.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2013 4:48:00 PM More reviews by cwangdom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had just finished a bottle of a Japanese cleansing oil that was doing a decent job but I thought I would branch out and try out some other products out there that were easier to get locally. I have been wanting to give this Clarins product a try and thought this might be just the thing for my first cleanse.

I got a tester at the Clarins counter at my local Bay and loved the smell as well as the texture of the product. The smell is refreshing and slightly citrus-y which is always a nice scent when you're washing your face. I used it as the directions prescribed and it goes on a gel then you massage in and it becomes an oil. Pretty fun.

At first I was just rinsing my face with water after and I thought that would be enough. A couple days later I started breaking out quite badly for me. I'm not completely sure if it is this product or that time of the month so I stopped for a bit and things subsided. I tried again and my face flared up again. Recently though, I decided to try again and clean the product off my face with a hot towel and that has really helped. Just rinsing with a clean hot towel everyday has been helping in general. I have a feeling that the product and makeup was not rinsing off properly with the way I was cleansing before and clogged my pores.

Once I finish the tube I will move on and try some other products. I would rather spend my money ($36 CAD 125ml/4oz ) on something that doesn't have the potential to break me out. This just is not for me.

Edit: 30 Oct 2013 I have stopped using this for about a week and no more major breakouts. So I think this was the culprit. 2 lippies for good packaging, texture and fragrance.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2013 9:00:00 PM More reviews by shelly_82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I quite liked this cleaning gel/oil. It seemed a reasonable price in AUS (around $40AU from memory), however I quickly learned that so much was required that it was actually very expensive. That wouldn't have bothered me if it had worked, but I realised it was making my skin worse. I broke out in pimples really badly and realised that this was because it DID NOT REMOVE MAKEUP!!

It is quite gentle and if you don't wear makeup or wear minimal makeup perhaps it could work for you. I have found that DERMALOGICA PRECLEANSE IS AMAZING- gentle and removes all traces of makeup. I always double cleanse (an oil based makeup remover followed by Dermalogica Ultracalming cleanser) and even double cleaning whilst using the Clarins puremelt didn't help as the puremelt didn't remove my makeup.

I have sensitive skin that I prone to pimples that time of the month and swear my using a gentle cleanser to rebalance my skin after makeup remover (though not really needed when using the dermalogica pre-cleanse as it doesn't dry my skin out). I figure one cleanse/makeup remover is needed to remove makeup and then one cleanse is needed to cleanse my makeup free skin.

At the end of the day, see if you can get a sample of the puremelt as it may work for you (but use a white towel to see if makeup remains after cleaning - I was horrified when my white towel was orange after using puremelt!!)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by wonderbuy

The Elemis Melting cleansing gel is much better and so is the one in the Nuxe Rose range. This is average in performance and just feels no where near as good as the Elemis. Cleansing power is average and doens't rinse as cleanly as the Nuxe or Elemis. I like these for taking off eye make up since there is no rubbing and tugging (wipes = no no!). Its like a solid cleansing oil which leaves residue so must be followed by another cleanser. Since its rather pricy I would rather stick with buying cheaper asian style cleansing oils since they do the same but at a third of the price and keep buying the Elemis since i just feel its worth the price.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2013 11:42:00 PM More reviews by phoebeweatherfield

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to be enthusiastic about this product because it gets so much praise, but I've been pretty disappointed. While it definitely doesn't strip my skin, I'm not entirely convinced that it's getting all my makeup off--while I don't think this product is breaking me out, exactly, I've been having more pimples since I switched from my old (heavier) balm cleanser to this product, and it makes me think this just isn't heavy-duty enough to remove all my makeup. A few nights ago I used toner after I cleansed with this and noticed a distressing amount of makeup coming off on the pad.

While I might just bear up and use a pre-cleanser or some other product to get my face sufficiently clean if I otherwise liked the product, I also really don't like the smell--not exactly old lady perfume, but some kind of heavy, floral-ish scent that I personally find pretty unappealing (I tend to prefer cleansers that have either citrusy or herbal/medicinal scents). Generally, I'm a big fan of Clarins skincare, but this is a no-go for me, especially for the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2013 6:26:00 AM More reviews by MaggieRT

This feels amazing on my skin, I love using it when having a wee 'pampering' session and massaging the oil well into my skin before washing it off and it turning into a milk. I don't use it daily though as I like to jump into the shower in the morning and quickly wash my face...I cant seem to do this with this product without water getting into it quickly and it turning to milk before I've had time to enjoy the lovely oils. Still a great product though, maybe just not right for my routine.