Burt's Bees Shea& Grapefruit Deep Conditioner

3.1

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Ingredients: water, cetrimonium bromide, cetearyl alcohol, sucrose laurate, glycerin, honey, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), glucose, betaine, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, citrus tangerina (tangerine) peel oil, citrus aurantifolia (lime) oil, zingiber officinale (ginger) root extract, citrus reticulata (tangerine/petitgrain) leaf oil, acacia senegal gum, polysorbate 60, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase

on 4/2/2014 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I am going to start off trying to help why the reviews for this are so vast. It is either loved or hated.
This "deep conditioner" is essentially a combination of humectants, oils, shea and a conditioning ingredient. If you are using this when the dew point is low (or you are in a dry environment) this conditioner will most likely dry you hair out. The honey and glycerin will act to help the environment draw moisture out of your hair. If this is used in normal climates then you may fall in love with result. Very humid? eh, will feel ok to great but could feel sticky. Depends.
Google dew points and hair and it can help you see how the vast reactions to products could happen.

There aren't a lot of conditioning ingredients in this product either. So this is good for getting some moisture into hair in the right climate, but doesn't do a heck of a lot to actually condition my hair. This one I would use after a deep conditioner to draw pull in some extra moisture and to smooth hair (shea)

Hope this helps.
As far as my own review...its ok. I like it, not love it. I am middle of road take it or leave it. I already mix a conditioner with honey and aloe so I already get a better result from a conditioner. I just couldn't pass up a deep conditioner for $3 and wanted to try it.
I am going to give it one more try, perhaps after a protein heavy treatment and then update.

EDIT: used again a few more times. It really isnt bad, it does seem to being some softness and moisture to hair over time.

on 4/20/2012 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I have long, relaxed, coarse hair that needs a little extra tlc from time to time and I do feel satisfied in the condition of my hair with the use of this product. I happen to love the scent, its what I think powdered grapefruit would smell like... if there was such a thing, lol. Recommend.

on 4/4/2012 11:58:00 AM

Hate. This. Crap. It smells like floor cleaner and really dries out my processed hair. Pass.

on 10/24/2011 3:51:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Eh. I wanted to like this conditioner since I've had pretty good luck with other Burt's Bees products, but this doesn't really do a good job at conditioning my fine hair. First, the smell. I sniffed this prior to buying, but the actual smell of this conditioner is not unleashed until you squirt it into your palm. It smells TERRIBLE, like a cleaning detergent, even though the ingredients list boasts several citrus oils and is overall pretty natural. Fortunately the scent only lasts until I rinse my hair out. It has a really watery consistency, and I actually had to condition my hair twice before it was completely detangled. It was only after the second application that my hair felt sufficiently conditioned, and considering this isn't a cheap product, I expected it to perform better. Although I got it to work for me, I wouldn't repurchase or recommend.

on 1/30/2011 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

OMG! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! Let's begin with the smell. A cross between shoe polish and lemon Pledge. And it stays in your hair until you wash it out again. Awful. It literally sickens you to your stomach the smell! Second, the conditioner does nothing to soften or condition hair. It leaves my hair dry and staw like and horribly tangled. The price is ridulously expensive for a drugstore product, for the job it does and just in general. $7.97?? No. It should cost more like $1.50 and even that's too expensive for the horrible product this is. Overall, it's a horrible product. Do not buy it. The smell alone should put this product on the most horrible list. if i could give it a minus 5 lippies i would.

on 1/16/2011 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Others here may disagree, but to me this stuff smells like a furniture polish (or some other kind of household cleanser) rather than a hair care product. A very, very intense citrusy waxy smell that lingers in the bathroom, on my towel, and in my hair for several days after using it. A bit like conditioning your hair with Pledge or something. I've tried the shampoo in this line too, which was equally smelly and also too drying for my hair.

On the positive side, this is a relatively light deep conditioner that does a decent job of conditioning fine hair without weighing it down. I use it every week or so before washing my hair and it leaves the hair feeling smoother and stronger. Judging from the ingredients listed, it's also a genuinely organic product -- my tube even includes helpful information about what each ingredient is in there to do.

Sadly, the overwhelming smell of this product is truly a deal-breaker for me. I will not re-purchase.

on 9/29/2010 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

It just doesn't work for anything but virgin hair. Fried hair will not like this and there'll be no difference.

not a super deep conditioner, but I love the way this makes my hair smell.

on 3/26/2010 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I thought this was a pretty good hair treatment for my hair. I wish the consistency was a little thicker though. It made my hair feel very smooth and fuller after I used it. The smell was very strong but I didn't mind it.

on 2/23/2010 11:20:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

First off, as another reviewer stated, this is not a deep conditioner in any way, shape, or form. If this is a deep conditioner for you then your hair probably doesn't need deep conditioning at all. I bought this knowing it was basically a regular rinse out conditioner with some nice ingredients. I cannot resist trying out conditioners but I will not be buying this again. The smell doesn't bother me- kind of citrusy bordering on bug repellant- yet doesn't linger at all. However, the tube is way too small (I used almost half in one wash) so it's not cost efficient for someone with long and/or curly/dry hair. I also didn't notice any level of conditioning above a 99 cent VO5 conditoner. I have mid back length 3c hair and this would never cut it as a DC- not thick enough, not moisturizing enough, and it lacks ingredients that actually penetrate your hair. If you need an actual deep condtioner look elsewhere- I like Aubrey Organics (any cond) and coconut oil.

Top Rated Burt's Bees Products