August 30, 2014 | 1148 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Advanced Hard as Nails Strengthening Topcoat

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by SamIAm2197

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Terrible, terrible, terrible! This top coat is one of the worst I have ever used for one main reason, it takes forever to dry completely! I used to think it was just how I was painting my nails or the nail polish I was using, but when I used my friend's top coat instead, I learned this wasn't the case.

I put on the top coat and waited for about forty five minutes. I touched my nails and it felt dry, I opened the refrigerator door and when I looked down at my nails almost every one had terrible creasing. At first I thought I must've just not waited long enough for them to dry, so the next time I waited two hours before I did anything and they still creased! Now whenever I use this I have to wait almost three whole hours and continuously stick my hands in the freezer just to get it to dry completely. One of the huge problems is that you can't tell just by touching it whether it's truly dry or not. When you just touch the top, it might seem like it's totally dry but then you end up with a huge crease trying to open a drawer or something.

I also have a problem with the color's bleeding. I'll put a coat of this over nailpolish that's been dry for hours and the color will still bleed onto the brush. It's awful. Also, it is very gloppy. When I apply it, I have to dab
a huge glob on the top of my nail and then spread it around.with the brush.

I find the bottle extremely annoying as well. I'm not sure if all bottles come this way, but mine has a flat back and it's hard to balance it. I'll set it down on the table without thinking and it'll just fall over. It doesn't seem like a big deal but it's quite annoying to deal with. Especially when you're nails are wet.

On the bright side, I only need one coat of this and it does work well if you can wait the four hours for it to dry. And I have to say I do not experience the same problems other's have with bubbling.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 11:06:00 PM More reviews by blengs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm shocked at how many bad reviews this got. I only use one (thick) coat, and I never get bubbles. I always had creases on my nails from going to bed even HOURS after putting on polish, but with this I never have creasing anymore! I can go to bed after 20 minutes and wake up with smooth, shiny nails. It absolutely makes my manicure last days longer and looks like I got my nails done in a salon. LOVE!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by SweetKatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm very satisfied with the results of this product! my nailpolish last longer with this. love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2012 5:26:00 PM More reviews by ChaCaCheeze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

I won't be repurchasing this because:
- It takes hours to dry fully. After 90 minutes, putting on a sweater has ruined my nails - more than once, even using SH brand colors!
- Even 100% dry nail colors bleed onto the brush, so you have to really glop it on to avoid picking up color. My bottle has already been ruined and isn't even clear anymore, it's actually cloudy.
- It gets thick, gloppy, and hard to work with several months after opening the bottle...so you need to use it up fast.
- As far as shine and chip protection are concerned, this is a decent product...but other SH top coats offer the same thing, with faster drying times and less color bleed.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Kayraven

Okay, I came here just to write a review for this. NEVER AGAIN!
Sorry for the caps, but THIS IS THE WORST TOP COAT EVER!
I got this by accident, and this is the worst buy of 2012 for me.
At first I thought my Essie polish was shit, it cracked like hell after 2 days. I had no idea because that was my second Essie polish. Then I tried this over OPI and watched in terror as it bubbled up before drying up completely. That was it for me.
Pro's:
- dries up really fast
Con's: (everything)
- bubbles up in seconds
- makes even expensive polishes (OPI, Dior) crack in two days
- does not prevent from chipping, like I wore no top coat at all
Please, don't waste your money on this!!
If you want a good cheap Sally Hansen topcoat go for the Insta-dri no-chip topcoat, that one truly rocks

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2012 2:25:00 AM More reviews by LindaYAY

Edit:
Upon using several bottles, my opinion has changed a little. I still think it's a great top coat if you're on a budget. However, this topcoat gets goopy pretty quickly. At first I thought I had a bad bottle, but this happened with every bottle I had after a few months. It becomes hard to work with and bubbly. I probably won't be repurchasing for a while, there's probably better out there for the money.

I don't really understand the bad reviews, because for me, this topcoat works wonders. I don't change out my nail polish very often, so I rely on a good topcoat to get from one mani to the next. This does the trick. It leaves a nice, shiny finish, and I can get a good 3-5 days without any signs of chipping. If I apply another layer of topcoat at the five-day mark, I get renewed shine another week's wear out of a manicure. People comment on how long my manis last and it's because of this $3-4 topcoat! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 11:47:00 PM More reviews by ValereeB

I love this stuff! Its super shiny and for the price you cant beat it. Its long lasting and i get very few chips but i also use it on polishes that are long lasting and don't chip (usually Essie, Opi, Butter, etc). Give it a try...if you dont like it you're only out a few bucks but if you do you'll save lots in the long run compared to the more high end stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Faux

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the treatment with Nylon in it. Both of my thumb nails used to have splits right down the center of them and as soon as they would get any length, the cracks would just keep splitting 1/4 of the way down the nail. My thumb nails were stubby and wouldn't grow. I have been using this for about six weeks now, I put about threaded thumb nails are grown out, I'm happy with it. It takes my nails from brittle/chipping to Hard as Nails! Consistency and brush are easy to work with too.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2011 9:32:00 PM More reviews by ljacks

I used to think topcoats didn't matter, because my nail polish would just chip off before the end of the day anyway. Not with this stuff! I can apply this super thick to the point where I almost have acrylic-depth protection, and it still dries in about 20 minutes! My polish doesn't chip or peel AT ALL with this on...it really does act like a barrier. The only thing I notice is that there is minor tip wear around day 4....which continues to amaze me because I don't think I'd ever gotten to day 4 before previous topcoats chipped and peeled off. I love this stuff!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2011 11:55:00 PM More reviews by asininityy

hate hate hate hate this stuff. while i do like the brush it comes with, this top coat bubbles like crazy. its decently thin during the first use but it gets goopy quickly, so you need a good drop on the brush for it to even spread, but that's when it bubbles. bought this because i couldnt find my beloved Diamond Shield nail laminate from Blue Cross that i can only seem to find at duane reade.