December 19, 2014 | 1443 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Advanced Hard as Nails Strengthening Topcoat

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2014 3:43:00 PM More reviews by fettcourt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have brittle nails that always peel. I've been using this polish for about a week and I have already notice my nails getting stronger. Also, it makes my nail polish last longer if I use it as a base and top coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2014 9:01:00 PM More reviews by taterleighh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Most of the reviews i have read in my opinion are quite inaccurate. When worn everyday with 3 coats along with a good quality topcoat and being sure to strip coats with polish remover and reapply every 3-5 days the product is defiantly worth the $3 i spent. I have very brittle, soft, and even see through and sometimes in their poorest health yellow... I hate fake nails and grow and manicure my nails so doing this can be difficult with the naturally poor condition of my nails so i have tried many different products. I even take zinc, a vitamin for hair and nails which works well. The best product so far is horse hoove cream apllied daily. But anyway this product like i said works very well is YOU USE IT DILIGENTLY. I did notice after 2 weeks i stripped the paint and gave my nails some air they looked better than my nails have every looked. The nail passed the flesh was so white it looked french manicured almost. And the best part is if left to completely dry it will last for days as long as it isn't cot on anything sharp. But YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU PAINT OVER THE EDGE ALMOST UNDER THE NAIL to seal it or else it will peal off. Be careful not to get paint underneath tho or it will make you nail look see through. I recomend this product if you are willing to put a lot of time into your nails. I myself and very satisfied and love it<3 Thank you for reading and i hope it was helpful.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Bee82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've always used sally hansen nail products I've used this sally hansen hard as nails for years now it makes my nails harder and stronger it also makes my nails shiny I use it alone I haven't used it as a top or base coat yet but I will be trying it as I don't have any base coat nail products yet I use sally hansens insta dry top coat which is fast drying I love it I'm very happy with most of sally hansen's products and I will always buy this hard as nails for making my nails stronger and to use as a shiny clear coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 4:29:00 AM More reviews by TheModType

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this in the natural tint which provides your nails with a really beautiful healthy look. My nails are growing healthy and strong and I could not ask for anything more! I only use this on my bare nails- I have no experience in regards to how it performs as a base or top coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by NOLACreoleGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of my favorite top coats except....

Maybe it's just me and probably because I sleep on my hands (?) but I wear this as a top coat to my Nutra Nail Bullet-Proof polish and even though it'll seem dry before I fall asleep, I wake up with the sheet or pillow pattern on my nails :-(

Now, I am not taking off a lippy because clearly that's my fault lol. This polish does seem to help temporarily harden my nails and is a pretty good top coat (after 2 coats)

It does smooth my nails and helps with the appearance of ridges and lines. I can't give a review of this polish alone because I've never used it alone or not on top of the Nutra Nail. But along with that polish and as a top coat over other polish it seems to last a long time and I like it a lot.

I would recommend this product but make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before sleep lol

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by Clover04750

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am writing a review about Sally Hansen Advanced Hard as Nails with Nylon and Retinol. This is a clear base coat that comes in a sealed package and promises to fill ridges while strengthening your nails.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that when you take the bottle out of the package, its flat on the back and rounded in the front. It's deceiving in design, not that I'd complain about a few ounces of polish, but its still odd and deceiving.

The bottle tells you to shake it. Do NOT shake! You'll get all kinds of bubbles. Roll it in your palms kinda slowly via the black part of the bottle to mix it instead. The directions also instruct you to apply 2-3 coats, which makes me wonder why they were so chinsy with the back of the bottle. 3 coats seems like an awful lot of applications.

I found the polish itself to be very watery, drippy, and thin. I applied one layer as a base, then colored polish to my tips, and had to use two coats to top it all off so the directions were right about the number of applications necessary. When it drys, it seems to evaporate a little more. The more coats you add, the more you risk getting bubbles. The good thing is that it did seem to even out the ridges between my natural nails and the painted tips, but it did not smear my polish. Truth be told, my tips were still a little sticky when I applied the first top coat. I was impressed there.

As far as the quality of protection, no polish is going to add strength just like no hair product will repair your ends. These things are actually designed to protect and prevent. I just don't see where some super thin glue is going to protect or prevent any more than the next glue you put on.

I actually like this product and would buy it again if I found it on a 75% off sale, but that's because I like a good sale. Most of my polishes cost under $3. This product takes too many applications to give a result. My friends haven't the patience nor time to wait, so I wouldn't recommend this to friends.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by SamIAm2197

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Terrible, terrible, terrible! This top coat is one of the worst I have ever used for one main reason, it takes forever to dry completely! I used to think it was just how I was painting my nails or the nail polish I was using, but when I used my friend's top coat instead, I learned this wasn't the case.

I put on the top coat and waited for about forty five minutes. I touched my nails and it felt dry, I opened the refrigerator door and when I looked down at my nails almost every one had terrible creasing. At first I thought I must've just not waited long enough for them to dry, so the next time I waited two hours before I did anything and they still creased! Now whenever I use this I have to wait almost three whole hours and continuously stick my hands in the freezer just to get it to dry completely. One of the huge problems is that you can't tell just by touching it whether it's truly dry or not. When you just touch the top, it might seem like it's totally dry but then you end up with a huge crease trying to open a drawer or something.

I also have a problem with the color's bleeding. I'll put a coat of this over nailpolish that's been dry for hours and the color will still bleed onto the brush. It's awful. Also, it is very gloppy. When I apply it, I have to dab
a huge glob on the top of my nail and then spread it around.with the brush.

I find the bottle extremely annoying as well. I'm not sure if all bottles come this way, but mine has a flat back and it's hard to balance it. I'll set it down on the table without thinking and it'll just fall over. It doesn't seem like a big deal but it's quite annoying to deal with. Especially when you're nails are wet.

On the bright side, I only need one coat of this and it does work well if you can wait the four hours for it to dry. And I have to say I do not experience the same problems other's have with bubbling.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 11:06:00 PM More reviews by blengs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm shocked at how many bad reviews this got. I only use one (thick) coat, and I never get bubbles. I always had creases on my nails from going to bed even HOURS after putting on polish, but with this I never have creasing anymore! I can go to bed after 20 minutes and wake up with smooth, shiny nails. It absolutely makes my manicure last days longer and looks like I got my nails done in a salon. LOVE!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by SweetKatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm very satisfied with the results of this product! my nailpolish last longer with this. love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Carrie212

Amazing as a base and topcoat, I have been using this since I was a wee girl first painting my nails. Takes a little while to set, but once it's on, you're good. Leaves my nails chip free for days.