September 18, 2014 | 1813 users online

Fragrances - Parfum d'Empire Equistrius

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 9:17:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

Apparently, this perfume is named after a race horse belonging to the owner of the fragrance house. Instead of the saddle though – now, how Hermesian would that be?- Equistrius smells of chocolate and iris. I have a decant of it which sees the daylight from time to time, always with the same result: it has a lot of notes but the overall effect, for some reason, fails to impress me.

The last time I thought about Equistrius, I was at a Blonde Redhead gig; when Kazu Makino started singing Equus, I felt that I might have been unfair to my Equistrius in the past and I decided to use it again. No. On my skin, it’s still the same fragrance that is crowded with many notes with too little effect.
Equistrius opens with a powdery (and not earthy) iris which sits on what smells exactly like my L'Occitane rice toner - saccharine sweet and somehow powdery at the same time. There is also a prominent alcohol smell that I'm not fond of.

As the perfume moves on to its heart, the L'Occitane toner effect prevails, but with additional chocolate notes - unfortunately, slightly stale, low quality milk chocolate on my skin.

It's again during the heart that I get something like suede and also candlewax. This phase is quite linear, a bit balmy and also a bit airy.

The drydown of Equistrius is my favourite phase. Now, the perfume is partly powdery and partly creamy with lipstick notes. I think this is the violet many reviewers talk about and in my experience, it's really softened.

Altogether, Equistrius takes me from one note to another, from one impression to another impression but I cannot say that I tremendously enjoy the journey.

Some fragrances have taught me that the total is bigger than the sum of its parts, and with Equistrius it seems like the total is less than the sum.

Medium sillage and longevity.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2012 2:43:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

very casual, very soft and beautiful scent of iris,with a smudge od chocolate and ambrette....it reminds me of Karleidoscope by K.Lagerfeld, a bit more depth a bit more warmth, a bit more violets in Karl...
not a special perfume or very unique, but extremely comfortable, safe and pure iris souled...
very nice and BW.by all means:))

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2011 4:44:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: violet, green notes, iris, chocolate, woodsy notes, amber, sandalwood and vetiver.

This fragrance opens with the delicate aroma of orris enhanced by citrus and sheer flowers (violet and green notes). These notes eventually merge into a very pretty fruity-floral accord (chocolate is responsible for the fruit aroma) whose delicate nature makes it perfect for a crisp summer morning. The iris root adds a glossy, sophisticated polish to the main notes. The scent loses its fruity-floral top accord after an hour or so and gradually reveals a fine powdery note (sandalwood). Woodsy notes and amber characterise this scent from the heart accord to the dry down. Always pretty and rather long-lasting for its kind, this scent lasts six hours on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 9:50:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Pretty fragrance but not unforgettable.
Classified as a woody-oriental, it's a nice powdery violet-iris scent that opens with a sweet fruity (but not too strong) note.
Has middle notes that reminds of hay and dry woods, and I detect a salty note as well (can't put my finger on what's excactly). That's to say that a very little of an oriental fragrance, but it si indeed a powery - woody one.
Could be pleasant, but really do not care much for it.

Staying powder is low.
_______
notes as per Lucky Scent:

Orris, violet, rice powder, chocolate, ambrette, sandalwood, vetiver, grey amber

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 10:51:00 AM More reviews by deladap

Wonderful blend of rice powder and flowers. The first few seconds are quite harsh, then comes the chocolate and finally it settles to the smoothest scent ever. The first time I wore it I received compliments literally from all of my co-workers. They said this smell brings childhood memories and is very lovely....

Unusual but beautiful, calming fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2008 5:06:00 PM More reviews by amykelley

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As the previous reviewer implied, Equistrius could probably be renamed Putain des Palaces Eau Fraiche. It's lighter, and something (ambrette?) gives the opening a citrusy zing, but there's still a bit of the pleasant skank lurking underneath. This is a nice fragrance overall, but what really sets it apart for me is the AMAZING rice powder note in the drydown. Seriously, it's one of the best things I've ever smelled. It's the sophisticated powder I wanted but didn't get from Teint de Neige. I hope it finds some more fans and sticks around for a long time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2008 7:14:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Rice powder and soft florals. Very pretty, very nice. It reminds me a whole lot of Putain de Palais without the skank (and I do like that one for some weird reason) but this is much more wearable. The listed notes are: Orris, violet, rice powder, chocolate, ambrette, sandalwood, vetiver, and gray amber. I get no chocolate, but there's a slightly vanilla-buttery note that might be cocoa butter. Mostly, it's rice powder and soft perfume. Powdery, but not in the cloying, baby talc kind of way other perfumes can have. Probably a must try and not really a violet scent, still it's worth a sample. I may end up with a full bottle yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2007 9:14:00 PM More reviews by pacificnorthwestocean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Notes: orris, violet, rice powder, chocolate, ambrette, sandalwood, vetiver, and grey amber.

After sampling, this seems a woody floral to me. Soft, yet grounded. I'm a sucker for violet, and its presence is subtle but contributing to the grace of this fragrance. I've heard others remark they get a leather note. I can see why they would say that, but this is *not* a leather fragrance to my nose. This is such a soft fragrance that I'm wondering what the lasting power will be. But, would be willing to get a decant to find out.