October 24, 2014 | 1442 users online

Mascara - Boots - Intense Volume Waterproof

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by LaTristesseDuRoi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Among the worst mascaras I've tried. It creates zero volume and zero length. The formula is very, very thin. It basically just turns what you've already got black and does nothing more, no matter how many coats you apply. Unless you use it in conjunction with a lash building product like DivaDerm, I think it would be pretty much unusable as a mascara, and even then the results are sub par. Oh, and it's less water resistant than most non-waterproof formulae: a few tears and it's gone, shower (without touching your face or washing your hair) and it's gone... and you've got to use loads and loads of powder under your eyes or else it smudges visibly throughout the day.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2012 8:33:00 AM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara is perfectly nice but only if you was perfectly nice lashes. If you want full long beautiful lashes, this won't cut it. It is a fairly dry formula but goes on smoothly and doesn't flake off even on all day wear, but because it is so dry laying multiple coats causes serious clumping.

It is average in terms of holding a curl and creates nice length. I like the straight fluffy full brush. I also like the slightly contoured shape of the bottle and top which makes it easy to grip and it looks like a nice HE mascara.

This mascara lacks pigmentation, it is more smoky grey than black. This makes any length or volume that you gain from the product have less visual impact no matter how many coats you add. Whatever it looks like after two coats is pretty much as good as its going to get. I didn't notice anything more than usual addition of volume so the name is misleading and should be ignored entirely.

Price is on the high side for a drug store brand (12) and it doesn't seem to do anything but it does go on with little fuss and stays perfect until you take it off. Overall, if you want a natural look that'll last all day then this mascara is fine. If you want lashes that are noticeable or full and rich looking try something else.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 10:05:00 AM More reviews by JClarke

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I disliked this mascara as soon as I started using it and it only got worse with time since it dried out rapidly until I eventually threw it away and decided to cut my losses!
Reasonably priced I grant you, but not if you end up looking like godzillah. I had a good look at the brush before I bought because I think that's half the battle and the brush was indeed fine. However I now appreciate that the mascara itself does have an important role to play! This was just impossibly gloopy and made my lashes very clumpy right from the start - a complete mess. And it didn't get any better.
I have reverted to Lancome which I know and love and can always rely on - worth paying a few extra bob for.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by susie03

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this may have been reformulated again going by the few reviews here. I bought this on a whim with a 5 off No7 voucher then checked out P-ville (wrong way round I know) - I thought I'd wasted the remaining 6.50 but I have to say this is a great mascara. It volumises, separates, holds a curl and gives that 'eyes wide open' look without any clumpiness. It didn't flake on me at all. I haven't swum in it or anything and have no need to so I can't say if it's totally waterproof but it's certainly rainy London city life proof. I like it better than the Extreme Length and the Stay Perfect. I have this in Brown Black which is good and dark without the harshness of black for daylight use.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2008 4:34:00 AM More reviews by milkteef

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

it's okayyy but i don't generally use waterproof mascaras ... doesn't do much , kinda makes my lashes straighter ? but it's fine for a quick swim session when you don't want to go bare-faced .

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2007 9:06:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This is supposed to be Boots No. 7's replacement for the Ultimate Waterproof mascara.

Not bad, not great, and not as good as its predecessor. The Brown/Black is a good brown, not too grey. The brush is a little bushy for my tastes, but short, which ensures ease of application. The formula is a little dry - as is often the case for waterproof mascaras of an older-fashioned formula (compared to the more gel-based ones, ex. Stila and Shu Uemura). It dries out in the tube quite fast: 3 weeks before it starts to be crusty and flaky, and comes off during the day. Lashes were dessicated.

Worse, it flaked off on me during the day, and was utterly incompetent when faced with a swimming-pool and a shower. As that was why I had bought it in the first place, I was most discontent.

If you're in the US, and looking for a decent waterproof mascara in brown or brown/black, I would suggest Maybelline Full & Soft Waterproof or Volume Express. If in the UK and Ireland, Boots 17 Waterproof (Volume Express is available in black only, as far as I've found, though you can sometimes be lucky in the UK in Superdrug).

More expensive and generally available alternatives that work and leave your lashes nice and supple: Stila (but it dries out fast in the tube), Clinique Gentle Waterproof; or one of the tubing mascaras - Clinique Lash Power (fab fab fab), or Blinc/Kiss Me (the tubing one - but warning, zero volume and a certain spikiness). Or put a waterproofing sealant on top of your regular mascara - Clarins Fix' Mascara or Urban Galoshes Galoshes (from Underwear And ~), for example.

It does work out expensive, as like all No. 7 mascaras in my experience it dries out fast. You're lucky to get a month's daily use out of this stuff before it goes crusty. In the UK and Ireland, it's about 25% cheaper than, say, Clinique (EUR 14 vs. 19), but has 1/3 of the latter's lifespan...

continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2007 9:04:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the waterproof version. It is supposed to be Boots No. 7's replacement for the Ultimate Waterproof mascara.

More expensive and generally available alternatives that work and leave your lashes nice and supple: Stila (but it dries out fast in the tube), Clinique Gentle Waterproof, Blinc/Kiss Me (the tubing one - but warning, zero volume and a certain spikiness). Or put a waterproofing sealant on top of your regular mascara - Clarins Fix' Mascara or Urban Galoshes Galoshes (from Underwear And ~), for example.

continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2006 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Guinever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

(This is for the waterproof version of the mascara.)

Again I bought another mascara at Boots with one of these 5 vouchers that you get when you spend more than 10 at Boots. The voucher is for 5 Pounds and as this mascara is 9.50, I had to pay 4.50 and got a No. 7 goody (a skin lotion).

I bought this mascara specifically for when I go to the gym (I want to go more regularly now) as I'm going in my lunchbreak and I don't want to do my eyelashes again after I've had a shower.
Before I tried out this one I had the YSL mascara which was just a dream! As I buy it only dutyfree and the next chance for me to buy dutyfree is only in two weeks' time, I gave this mascara a go!
What a mistake!

The effect is ok, although it's not as intense in volume as the name suggests. After 5 coats it still didn't look decent, but hey after another three coats it looked alright and I wouldn't have minded if it had passed the shower test.

But unfortunately it failed. After the shower (which involved also washing my hair) lots of little black bits were around my eyes and it looked very messy and had to be thoroughly cleaned up.
The YSL mascara passed the exam way better of course!

Also the whole "volume" in my lashes had disappeared after the shower so I had to reapply again which was a pain as I didn't have a lot of time not to say I was in a rush!

On top of this I had the impression that the chemical composition of this mascara wasn't the best for my contact lenses as my eyes slightly burned all morning.

This is not worth the money! Beware and don't buy!