April 18, 2014 | 1748 users online

Makeup Brushes - NARS - 27 - Yachiyo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2014 9:37:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

I am a such a NARS roll lately, first the primer, then the concealer, and now the Yachiyo! I have been coveting this brush for an incredibly long time, but the hefty price tag put me off, even thinking about it makes me shudder. Well, thanks to an ASOS 20% code I finally snapped it up. I freaking love it! It works SO well with brightly coloured blushers, all you need to do is tap your brush in and then apply to your cheeks - you get just the right amount thanks to the head of the brush and the option to build the colour up. I use it for bronzer, blusher, and sometimes highlighter. Prior to buying the Yachiyo I was using the MAC 116, but the 116 doesn't even compare to how awesome the Yachiyo is. The Yachiyo is great and blending too - I typically swipe the colour on, then blend in upwards in circular motions. I never get that harsh stripe, but the key is definitely to apply your blusher with a very light hand. I use my Yachiyo with NARS, Illamasqua, MAC, Sleek, and loose powder blushers and it applies them all beautifully.

The tapered bristles effortessly diffuse blush on my cheeks, the effect is gorgeous! Speaking of bristles though, this brush isn't the softest. Sometimes it feels quite scratchy on my cheeks, but not overly so. It also sheds, but only a few hairs, nothing major. Whenever I wash it I apply conditioner to soften the hairs and use a brush guard so it keeps it's shape. I absolutely love this brush, if you love blush, especially bold shades, I recommend you give it a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by starzi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Had that brush for a while now... Wasn't sure if I liked it or not. First when i started using it, my blush went on a bit patchy. However, practice makes perfect! Learnt how to use this properly, and its great for applying bright colours! For nude and more toned down colours I just use my MAC 129, but this is great, especially for the Tom Ford blushes I think! They can blend the colour our so it looks more natural too. Does shed every now and then, maybe 1-2 hairs every week, but I'm not too fussed about it. Its not that softest brush I've ever used, but its not scratchy to the point where it's bothering me. The pointed tip is great for the patchy parts, and just keep blending it in until it's balanced on both sides. Would definitely get this again, especially since I love using brighter colours!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 3:36:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading how awesome the Yachiyo is, I finally broke down and bought one. I generally don't buy super expensive makeup brushes because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to certain things. I've bought a few MAC brushes in the past but they ended up relgated to my drawer because I ended up losing interest in attempt to try to apply blush, eyeshadow or whatever else. I was also hesistant to buy it because I've never found a Nars product I could get on board with. However, something about this particular brush intigued me and stuck in my brain. I shopped around and finally(!) found a seller on eBay that wasn't selling this for an arm and a leg. Buying anything on eBay is a risk but makeup brushes are even more of a risk because of the many counterfeits floating around. I threw caution to the wind and bought it anyway and now that I have it, I'm glad I took the risk. First, I'm pretty inept when it comes to two facets of makeup: liquid/gel liner and blush. No matter how many tutorials I watch or read, I just couldn't get the technique down. Since I look infinitely better with blush, I'm forcing myself to learn ANY technique as long as it looks natural and flattering.

I've had Tarte's Amazonian Clay blush in Exposed for a while now and although I love the color of it, I rarely use it because applying it was too much of a pain (I used to use an ELF blush brush before buying a Samantha Chapman brush that is decent enough). The Yachiyo however takes the guess work out of applying blush. It has the shape of what I would describe as oval with a somewhat tapered tip. The angle of the brush fits perfectly on your cheek so all you basically have to do is swipe and blend. It's really that simple. It also picks up just the right amount of product so there's no need to swipe and tap.

I can't say I find this brush to be super soft. It's a tad on the scratchy side but no where near the level of truly cheap brushes that can feel like fine sandpaper. My brush hasn't shed though there are a few errant bristles towards the bottom. The thing that struck me is that the brush seems so light. I guess I was expecting the brush to be made of solid oak but it appears to be made of very light wood or possibly plastic. Either way, it is seemingly well made.

I would recommend this brush to others, espeically those who find the concept of blush baffling. Yes, it is expensive and it is highly unlikely you'll find this for under $30 but it works and it works well. I recall reading an article where a makeup artist said that good tools are paramount to applying makeup. If you have a good brush, you could even apply dirt and it would look good. I think that is sound advice. All the fabulously expensive makeup in the world won't look good if you don't have the proper tools to apply it. Now, if only I could find a great eye liner brush that will make the process of applying liner to my upper lids easy, I'll be a happy camper.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 2:15:00 PM More reviews by marianoana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is magic! I love using blush since I have this brush. I don't know how it does it ... I am pretty practical usually and don't get carried away too quickly, but this one has got me. This is the only brush I would re-buy in a heart beat if I ever lost it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Nadia007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this brush because of the good reviews I had heard and watched about this brush. I was bitterly disappointed......my brush sheds everywhere.....tiny black hairs on my face EKKKK... I’m retuning it today and will look at purchasing something else. I really expect better quality for the price I paid $72.00 AUD.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Oh, how I waited for this to come back in stores before dropping the $50 bill. It finally happened after a year at Nordstrom. I wanted to feel the light feather weight in my hands & see that the small size would indeed fit the apple of my cheeks ONLY; as I don't like wearing blush all over & it qualified those two criterias beautifully. Then I brought it home & tried it with my powder blushes, results? comparable to my Sigma F40. So I went in with my cream blushes to see the airbrush quality & OUCH it was scratchy. I washed it to try with my more pigmented blushes & it SHED in the process. Moving on, yes it picked up the dark orange blush lightly & made it more wearable. But I could get that with my F40 if I tapped & swirled off blush first & buffed more. Plus I own more wearble, soft nude blushes compared to the 1/2 daring colors. Anyways,the SA raved about this as being the IT brush, she used it for foundation, blush AND contour so I tried that next. Why not? This is the most expensive brush I own so I want it to live up to all that and more. I applied my Smashbox Studioskin 15 hr & it shed ALL over my face, atleast 5-6 hairs! Contoured using my ELF cool bronzer & it scratched my face again :( I did this regimen with different products & even deep conditioned the brush with a drop of grapeseed oil mixed in with cleanser & still same scratchy, shedding brush with comparable results to my Real Tehniques buffing brush & Sigma F40. Those 2 combined cost less than this & have never shed/scratched me. Ultimately, this brush was returned with no regrets.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by sikandria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought this cos i needed a good blusher brush,did my research and this nars brush seemed to have all the rave reviews.For me its a crappy brush,its scratchy,feels too light and mine shreds everywash,for the price i expected a lot more,my elf studio brushes are heaps better and cost peanuts.dont fall the hype that surrounds this brush.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 3:49:00 AM More reviews by wednesdei

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It is perfectly tapered and shaped. It picks up just the right amount of product, and its tapered bristles allow the product to diffuse beautifully onto the skin. Really, its effect is mind-blowing. It gives that lit-from-within glow, making the over-all-look ethereal and healthy. Also, I can use the most pigmented blush, and still not look like a clown.

Full review and pics here: http://mygorgeouspinkcheeks.blogspot.com/2013/09/nars-yachiyo-kabuki-brush.html

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by teaelleyou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't know if mine is a dud, but I absolutely HATE this brush. I bought this directly from NARS so I know its not a fake. First a minor thing - it is very unevenly cut, mine is very lopsided. But bigger no-nos...the bristles are very scratchy and probably the worst thing about it....it SHEDS like a mother. I've washed it dozens of times and it still leaves tiny hairs on my face when I apply blush! Application wise there were no real issues, it applies & blends colors out fine but my hakuhodo brush (not hakuhodo's yachiyo, but the J210) does a MUCH better job and doesn't make me feel like I'm applying blush w/ a tiny broom.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Reemyn

Forget cheap ebay fakes, get the real deal! It is truly excellent quality, I bought mine a three years ago, and it is still in the same condition! It never sheds, the perfect shape picks up the perfect amount of products, and blends beautifully. Of coure it doesn't hurt if you can already blend products nicely but for beginners like me this is a MUST HAVE, believe me, it'll make go things easy.
The price is crazy, but it is worth it.

Oh and I agree with some, sometimes it is scratchy. Why? It all depends on what/how do you wash it. Be gentle, don't use harsh soaps. A small amount (really small) conditioner wouldn't hurt either. Your water may be too hard - try filtered water. Since I fixed these problems this is my softest brush ever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No