TheBalm Overshadow

4.5

Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 7/27/2015 12:41:00 PM

I have it for 2 years now, but I've used it only several times. It is very glittery and it doesn't stick to the eyelid, I tried with eyeshadow base and it doesn't change anything. It looks good when I put it on my eyelids, but after 10 minutes it is all over my face.

on 4/17/2015 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Review for "If You're Rich, I'm Single"

This is my FAVORITE eye makeup product! It is the perfect compliment to most of my eye looks, and it looks gorgeous on it's own. I have had the same pot for years and am just getting around to reviewing now. But I should have done it sooner.

I generally wear a brown/taupe/gray/black palate on my eyes (I use the original Smashbox Exposed palette on the cooler side). I use a bit of Overshadow to subtly blend the colors and smooth and give pop to my look. "If You're Rich, I'm Single" is slightly more purple-y than my other colors, but it brings a nice touch and really pops my blue, slightly greyish eyes.It has sort of a rich, darkish taupe base. Looks great on light makeup days as my only shadow.

PROS:
-Looks good with my naturally very fair skin or with a nice spray tan.
-Goes on super smooth. Blends better than any other product I've tried.
-Color is versatile; goes well with a variety of other shadow colors. Or on it's own.
-A quick swipe of this over your finished eye makes it look professionally done and perfectly blended. It enhances the color without really changing it a lot or making it too dark.
-The value is incredible! The price is super reasonable, and like I said, I've used one pot forever!

CONS:
-The container is super messy. Cute, but messy. I use a paper towel under it when I open it because I know some powder will fall out, no matter what. And I don't want to clean it up. It's also sad to loose small amounts of product.
TIP: Just like with Bare Minerals, poke holes in sticker over shaker. Only open 2 or 3 at first to make sure you don't dump all the product onto the lid. And always tap your brush after dipping it -- this give a light sheen, but can go on too dark if you aren't careful.

I hope to buy this for the rest of my life!

on 2/15/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This eyeshadow is a glitter lover's dream. I have this in "you buy, I'll fly" which is an amazing glittery warm copper. Dry, it is sheer and wet it gives full-on, metallic color. You have to be extremely careful with this eyeshadow (even more so than most glitters because the sparkle is so fine) because it has a tendency to go everywhere. But if you're careful, you get an incredible look. Because it is so sheer, I like to use a base under it like the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils. This also helps to stop glitter from getting everywhere. And when you use it wet, it's the most beautiful, metallic eyeshadow you will every come across. It looks like liquid metal. There's also no glitter cloud with this method. Does it take some work? Yeah. Is it worth it? Heck yeah. I fully recommend this eyeshadow to anyone who loves a little sparkle in his or her life.

on 11/1/2014 1:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

NO MONEY, NO HONEY
As others have said, this is not a good shadow on it own, but I've found it extremely helpful in creating a subtle highlight/shimmer on top of other colors. My favorite application is to ever-so-slightly heighten the drama of an entirely matte shadow look (by patting some on the center of the lid and inner corner). I also like it when I'm going for a more shimmery eye and want a pop of brightness (again usually on the center lid and inner corner). It makes it look like I spent a lot more time on my shadow than I really did. I've personally never found it to distort the underlying color, but I'm a neutrals person, generally, so I can see how it might have a bigger effect on brighter colors.

Pros:
* lovely, soft shimmer
* very blendable
* soft, smooth application
* amazing center lid and inner corner highlight
* complements most other shadows
* generous amount of product

Cons:
* difficult to tell how much your brush has picked up
* not a good stand-alone shadow

on 4/21/2013 11:29:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I didn't like this at all. I was extremely disappointed. I tried the Overshadow in No Money, No Honey and couldn't find one thing I liked about it. As a shadow by itself, it's too sheer to be worth the application. When using it OVER shadow, it just doesn't do anything to make it worthwhile. I found that it actually DOES alter the color of shadow when you apply it over it, so I wouldn't recommend using it if you just spent a ton of time doing your eyeshadow with different shades and blending and all that... this will just cover most of that up. It does make eyes slightly more shimmery, but just not in a very satisfying way. I have a ton of eyeshadows that are just as, if not more, shimmery than this Overshadow and in better shades also. As such, I just don't have a use for this and will most likely get rid of it. Not really recommended, you could use the money for other things that are more worthwhile.

on 12/18/2012 8:23:00 AM

I love these, The best combination for me is If You're Rich, Im Single and No Money, No Honey teamed with Hot Mama Blush as a shadow too is just gorgeous.

on 6/25/2012 11:39:00 PM

These are on par with MAC pigments
Price: ~$15 CAD
Colours:
You Buy I'll Fly- light copper
If You're Rich I'm Single- medium chocolatey bronzey brown
Finish: iridescent sparkle
Pigmentation: full
Texture: silky
So fantastic and a dream to put on. Especially bright and metallic when applied with a damp brush

I bought this in 3 shades and love them. These have a different texture then pigments, smoother and more finely milled and maybe a tad drier for lack of a better term but these are gorgeous. I love how shimmery they are but not glittery. These last all day for me. I still need to try these out wet as a liner. Great product.

on 11/14/2011 11:36:00 PM

Got this in a gift set at TJ Maxx and wasn't quite sure what its point was--till I tried it! I made a smokey eye look with 2 other shadows from thebalm -- Mischievous Marissa and Sexy Stacey-- and patted this very lightly over my eyelids as a finishing touch with my fingertip--and WOW! It's like someone took a magic wand and transformed my eyelids with it because the shadows suddenly looked deeper and more vibrant! I have the If You're Rich, I'm Single shade, and it adds a slightly taupe-y, purple-y hue to the shadows beneath it but is fairly sheer if you apply very lightly. It adds a beautiful, multi-colored glimmer to the lids worthy of a special night out, without being tacky like you're going to a club. A tiny bit goes a really long way so I can see why the original price is so steep if you buy this separately. But I can't see myself running out any time soon b/c you only need a tiny bit! Will continue wearing this over my night look for that little extra oomph. You just have to try it for yourself to understand what I mean.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought You Buy I'll Fly from my local T.J Maxx. Luckily, they have a great selection of TheBalm products. It was $8, considering the quality/brand, this isn't bad at all. It is much more if you were to go out and buy it at regular price.

It's a beautiful peachy/pink color. It sides more on a medium toned, almost light hot pink. The shimmer is beautiful. It's very noticeable in the packaging but more subtle when applied. The shimmer sparkles a peach color and it's not frosty at all. It's only noticeable when it catches some light.
I experienced no fallout upon application. I did use UDPP and I highly suggest using a primer when using this. Since it is a loose mineral powder it needs something to adhere too.
The pigmentation is good. You honestly need a very small amount. It's very buildable. A swipe can give you very visible color but it's more on the "lighter" side. This is NOT sheer in anyway but an extra swipe or so is needed to get a more vivid outcome. I lightly flicked the jar to get more product. It's true, you do get a lot for your money. Many higher end brands overcharge for minimal product - glad to say TheBalm does not.
I did not find this messy at all. It's very easy to control the amount that comes out. Even when I turned it upside down to check the color name, no excess powder came flooding out (I unscrewed it to check...turning it right side up of course.) Actually, it looked the same as when I had put it away. If you SHAKE the container, of course it'll be a huge mess. A tap or two is enough..anything more than that you're just asking for trouble.
I work with kids and am constantly on the move - a lot of time outside in the hot florida heat. This lasted through sweating and humidity. I put it on at noon and it's about six and it's still as vivid and shimmery. A slight amount of shimmer did transfer onto my waterline but I had to get close up to my mirror to spot it. Considering the circumstances, this is impressive.
I have very fair skin and green eyes and it suits my features well. I love how versatile this shadow is. I cannot wait to try it out over over shadow and to accent..and to foil.

Yes, it is "gimmicky." But who cares?! The quality is fantastic and the packaging really makes it stick out. It caught my attention because of how pinup it is. Many companies try to be modern, I like ones that try to be different. That should not deter you from at least trying it out. And it'll last you such a long time.

I could not recommend more.

Top Rated TheBalm Products