July 25, 2014 | 1774 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Avene - Akerat body care cream

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Retinyl

My skin has been really dry and itchy lately and I found a sample of this that I had from somewhere, so I tried it out. The next day my skin was soo soft even after showering. I tried it again the next day and was amazed. I went out and bought a bottle right away. My elbows are always rough. I can't remember the last time my elbows felt smooth no matter what I used, until now.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2011 3:40:00 AM More reviews by rambow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This didn't end up helping my keratosis pilaris - but I did find it's helpful to put on my legs after shaving to prevent razor burn. Bonus - it doesn't sting, and it's quite moisturizing. It does leave a slightly tacky residue on your skin, but it is fragrance free, gentle on the skin, and not greasy or oily.

If you have KP that is very dry and crusty, or eczema, you might find this helpful. But if you're like me, and have KP with oily skin and the occasional waxy plug, then the over-moisturizing effect may not agree with you.

I finally started using Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment on my KP and it is nearly gone after a couple of weeks.

I found this rather expensive, and the flip-top cap on mine was very stubborn. However, you do get a big tube of moisturizer for the price, and I'm planning to use it up on my very sensitive, razor-burn-prone legs. I may even consider buying it again just for that purpose.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2009 12:18:00 PM More reviews by Elizabeth01

This is the ONLY thing that has improved my KP.. and I have tried everything! My dermatologist put me on a mild dose of Acutane, then RetinA, I have used almost every BHA/ AHA/ Glycolic acid/ Lactic acid lotions that you can buy; I then tried a more holistic approach by manually exfoliating with a dry brush and moisturizing with coconut oil/grape seed oil/100% aloe vera.. and so many other products directed towards Keratosis Pilaris.

That being said, this lotion is the only product to clear my KP, with as little maintenance as possible. I apply this before bed - because the cream is a little heavy and takes some time to fully absorb. This cream does not sting/tingle/smell like I experienced with many other KP lotions - I actually enjoy putting this on!

Some reviewers have stated that this does nothing for long-term but I really disagree. If you have talked to a dermatologist/doctor, or even others who experience KP you will know that this is not a skin condition that can be "cured". It may improve, but until you "grow out of it" (as some doctors say can happen) you must attend to it. I have found though that after using this product after every shower for about a month I am now able to apply this only once or twice a week, and use regular lotion every other day(!) and my KP is still nowhere to be seen.

I really recommend you try this lotion if you are experience moderate KP - it has changed my life!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2008 12:54:00 PM More reviews by imnotreallyadoctor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product was recommended to me by my dermatologist for my keratosis-riddled arms. I've been diligently using it for a little under a month now, and to be honest, I don't notice any difference. It's smooth and feels nice, but kind of leaves a sticky residue on your skin. My arms still have the gross chicken skin, and I feel like I spent $28 on a lotion that does the same thing as a $4 one. If I notice a change with the state of my condition, I'll update this review, but all in all I'm disappointed and would not recommend this product.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Daphers

I bought this for my boyfriend's keratosis pilaris a year ago and, of course, he never bothered using it. So I tried in on my back, where I tend to get clogged pores.

It's been effective enough at getting rid of them that I have continued to use it. It's just as good as BHA lotions or my former HG, Ketsugo gel. It doesn't dry my skin out and if anything balances it because it's moisturising.

Not sure if I'll repurchase, but probably will as Ketsugo and BHA lotions are hard to buy in the UK. Try it if you have bacne.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2007 7:39:00 AM More reviews by waterlily26

I have always had those red chicken-like bumps on the back of my arms and legs.They have been diagnosed as 'keratosis' and I have been given many treatments over the years to try,namely Retino-A lotion and pastes comtaining salicylic acid etc.No need to guess for whether they worked lol!

Anyway,when I came across this one day,I just had to get it!It is the first and only product I have seen so far that has 'keratosis' written on it (until I saw Dermadoctor etc.) and one of the very few products that targets this kind of skin.I didn't know what to expect but I have to say Im disappointed.

The texture of this cream is quite rich and doesn't absorb into the skin easily,you are left with a greasy or shall I say,'protected' film so pls only apply this where you need it.It does smooth out the skin and make the keratosis look less obvious,but it is only temporary and this can also be achieved by simply a good body lotion.It did not help with it long-term-wise whatsoever.I had a look at the ingredients,it contains lactic acid and glycolic acid,I think the idea is that exfoliate the skin so that the 'keratosis-prone' area will be smoothed out and looks less red.Unfortunately it does not work for some reason.

I might be trying out KP duty by Dermadoctor next but the sky-high price put me off and the ingredients seem to be too standard(and very similar to those of Avene) for it to work.I suggest if you are really conscious of your 'keratosis',then use some a cover-up like a body foundation(MUF face&body foundation works fine for me).