October 1, 2014 | 1753 users online

Powder - Smashbox - Function

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2010 8:37:00 PM More reviews by namaenai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This does NOT work as solely a powder foundation. It's a setting/finishing powder at best. It's very chalky and it did not control shine for me. I put it on over my mineral foundation to neutralize the pink undertones in my foundation and the foundation I use normally does not make me get very much shine but I was constantly blotting having this just as a finishing powder! It's only matte now because I put some of my Mary Kay oil mattifier on it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2009 6:10:00 PM More reviews by incognito

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got the Light L1-L2 and it's way too orange for my skin, which is more warm than cool, so you'd have to be really warm-toned to pull this off. Otherwise it's OK as a powder foundation, nothing all that special and certainly not worth the CDN $40+ that I paid for it. It's going up for swap!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2008 8:44:00 PM More reviews by angelflutter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Goes on powdery, but after a while melts in. Very good colour match for me, I have trouble finding yellow enough foundation (The L1-L2 shade is about NC 20-25). I recommend using a flocked sponge or puff to apply this rather than the sponge that it comes with it for medium coverage. The sponge neither picks up the powder nor transfers the powder well. DID NOT work with a wet sponge, even though thats one of its selling points! Does a good job at controlling shine.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2008 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Katy2

I have a hard time matching foundations to my skin tone. Function had a perfect shade, AND it looked gorgeous AND it lasts a very long time. It does start out looking a little chalky but after about fifteen minutes, my (somewhat oily) skin softens it. Looks perfectly natural and prevents shininess.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2008 12:28:00 AM More reviews by dato18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Overall good Powder. Love the packaging. Does not feel chalky or look powdery. Gives the perfect amount of coverage. Very pricey but does look and feel very nice on the skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2007 3:08:00 AM More reviews by smcgraw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I thought I would get this started because I love this new powder foundation from Smashbox. I've been on a search for a good powder foundation because of TSA restrictions on liquids (I travel a lot). I've tried them all at this point and had settled for Clinique Perfectly Real until I found this in Sephora recently. I put it on in Sephora and forgot about it - ran errands all morning and cleaned the house all afternoon. In the evening I looked in the mirror and was shocked to find that even after all that activity my nose was NOT shiny, a miracle for my oily skin. My skin still looked nice and polished, without that dry, powdery makeup look (I never use powder under my eyes so I can't comment on creasing). And no orangey-ness - I bought it the next day! I also like the fact that it's oil-, fragrance-, talc- and paraben-free so it doesn't break me out (I'm talking to you Studio Fix). And it contains vitamins and soybean extract to improve your skin. I should mention that the 5 powders-in-one ads are misleading - all that means is you can control the coverage based on the brush you use; you can also use it wet although I haven't tried that. The packaging is nice and slim with a big mirror, and the sponge sits next to the powder with a vented bottom, also great for travel. I would call it full coverage - a little goes a long way. I took one lippie off because the color selection is limited and leans toward yellow-based, although I think they're all supposed to be neutral colors. My advice is if you're between colors go for the lighter shade because of the full coverage. And it's kind of pricey at $36 but as I said, a little goes a long way so I expect it will last a very long time.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No