October 24, 2014 | 1730 users online

Gels/Soaps - Sappo Hill Soapworks- Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bar Soap

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been dying to try this soap for months, so when a local natural foods store started carrying it I promptly bought two bars: old fashioned oatmeal, and almond. I haven't used the latter yet, but despite the rave reviews and heavenly scent of the oatmeal bar it dried my skin out horribly. I have been using Pears glycerine soap for about a year and though that thoroughly cleanses my skin it doesn't leave me the dry, flaking, itchy mess that this soap does. Very disappointing. At this point I think I'll probably chop up the other bar and use it to scent my linen cabinet/drawers because I don't think my skin can tolerate it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this soap. It smells so amazing as others has stated. It's my very favorite soap. We pick this up at whole foods or I add it to the cart when shopping at vitacost on-line. It suds up nice and is pretty long lasting for under $2.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2011 12:51:00 AM More reviews by cbm08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this soap online, based on good reviews only. Other reviews said the scent was heavenly, and wow, yes it is! It cleanses well, smells yummy, and is a natural product so you don't have to worry about all the chemicals that you would find in a commercially produced soap product. I wouldn't really call it "moisturizing" but it definitely didn't leave me with that weird, tight feeling like some soaps can. And near dirt cheap for such a fine product! A 3.5 ounce bar costs $1.90 from the Sappo Hill website (minimum order of $15 is required on their site.) You can buy them from vitacost.com for around $1.60 I believe.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2011 8:19:00 AM More reviews by shortea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best bar of soap you can get at a natural food store, especially considering the price (around $1.89). Comes in a variety of cool scents, of course my favorite is the old-fashioned oatmeal, and the almond is pretty good too. Works good if you want a simple soap!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Khiandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a no fail bar of soap. It smells really nice (i wish it smelled stronger of oatmeal though). Simple ingredients and doesn't dry my skin out. I bet there are more moisturizing soaps out there but this is decent. It lasts really long and extremely cost effective. I too get this at whole foods but im thinking about odering some in bulk online. I do use this once in a while to cleanse my face and it works fine. Doesn't cause breakouts or dry skin but i don't depend on this for my face cleanser..i stick to my Chidoriya brown sugar one but this oatmeal soap is a great buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by heejoh

This is one of the only few products I use to wash my face. I've had several bad bouts of adult acne and have used umpteen OTC and Rx products, pretty much to no avail. My bestie recommended this soap to me probably 10 years or so ago once, saying it cleared up her skin. I started using it and well, it may not have gotten rid of all my acne, but it certainly did not make things worse. I really do think because it's so simple and natural and made up of such few ingredients, it calms my sensitive skin. Other cleansers and soaps tend to make me break out more, but never this one. I get mine at whole foods, and it's dirt cheap. I always buy two and keep one at the sink and one in the shower. And it smells great too. And the oatmeal acts as an exfoliant. I love this and I will use this on my sensitive acne-prone skin forever!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2008 8:30:00 PM More reviews by jennyguest

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff smells fantastic! Good enough to eat, but it doesn't linger out of the shower. I have dry skin and I've been able to use it this winter without completely drying out. For those with super dry skin this might need to be a summer only soap, but all others could probably use it daily all year round, I paid only $1.59 for it! It is a decent size (the shape is a bit odd, it's round!) but completely managable. I'd love to try other soaps by this company!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2007 7:07:00 PM More reviews by tuas

If you have ever wanted to bathe & smell Grandma's homemade Oatmeal cookies at the same, here's your chance!

This soap smells heavenly, and is so creamy & lucious! I'm always tempted to bite it- as are my guests who use it. It's even round, like a cookie. :) I cannot believe it is sold for 2 bucks at Whole Foods/Wild Oats - Don't tell them, but I would easily pay $6-7 for a bar. It lasts a looong time, and the oats (organic) feel lightly scrubby on my skin, but don't scratch it.

I have tried other more expensive soaps- Roger Gallet- which I really like, and another one I can't remember the name of, but it's wrapped in paper & tied with a wire & a little stone- which I liked also, but I have to say, I prefer this cheapy bar- it doesn't dry my skin like the others. Lucky me!

Speaking of packaging, I also really like the packaging---the fact that there isn't any!! It's just a bar of soap with a sticker on the back to identify it, so nothing to throw away- this is a bonus for me, as I'm a big on reduce/reuse/recycle, considering all the environmental issues today.

I only use this soap on my body, so I can't comment on use as a facial bar.

I love this soap and will buy it as long as they're makin' it. For two bucks, it's a total steal.