December 18, 2014 | 1595 users online

CD/Books/Movies - Kevyn Aucoin - Book- Making Faces

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2012 5:10:00 PM More reviews by HotWolfie

Face Forward by Kevyn Aucoin is my absolute favorite of his book line, but this comes pretty close. If you're new to makeup or you're not really experienced with different techniques then this an absolute must-have. Aucoins describes the differences in foundations (liquid, creme, powder, matte, iridescent, etc...), working with a variety of skin textures, and how to slightly alter your face shape (using eyebrow sculpting and shadowing). Pictures are stunning and the instructions are clear. I would highly recommend this book if you're interested in makeup application!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2012 2:14:00 PM More reviews by mermanda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I got this from the library as a trial run. If it was as good as everyone said, I planned to buy my own copy. Wow... not even close to living up to the hype. While the photos are beautiful, the actual instruction provided in the book is vague at best. The drawings all look the same to me -- and all of the eye looks can be summed up as: base color on eyelid, color in outer corner of crease, blend, highlight browbone,mascara. Done.

I was hoping for something a bit beyond the basics. I don't recommend you waste your money on this book if you have been playing with makeup for years -- as I assume we all have. But that said, I don't even think this works as an intro to makeup due to the vague instruction.

Sorry, Kevyn. I love you, but I just don't get it.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 4:15:00 PM More reviews by Marianthoula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let's assume for a moment that the name of the author does not awe us. Let's say the name we see outside is "John Something", an unknown, unassuming name. And now, flip through the book with no expectations and no genious-artist in mind...

We can see some very-very basic application techniques for make-up, some very-very basics on choosing various products and some childhood stories. Cute.

Moving on, we have various makeup styles, mostly neutrals (which I happen to love) but still... I feel something is missing. Is it the scetches? Cute but rather impractical. Is it the uniform way of his case-studies? I can barely tell the difference from one look to the other. Yes, different colours are used but tell me in all honesty what is the big difference of eg "Softness",pg 64-65 from "The gamine", pg 128-129 from "The chantreuse", pg 130-131 and so on, that justifies 6 different pages?
Don't get me wrong, the pictures are stunning, the result beautiful, but this is more like a collection of some of his work, given an inspired name each and a childish drawing break-down rather than something actually helpful.

In the middle of the book, the makeover part is amazing! The brilliance of the artist trully shows here. But besides the WOW effect, it left me wanting for something. I guess that if I come accross pretty much the same faces and features I may be able to attempt to reproduce the style. But I do not think I can actually learn something from this book. I am not a makeup artist and this is not a very big help in any way. I already know how to apply eye shadow and lipstick so I would appreciate something more inspired, with more detailed instructions.

Lastly, I find the size of the book rather big. I have some other makeup books that are in a more shelf-friendly size and their pictures do not lack in details. But this did not affect my rating in any way.

With all that in mind, let's put the name of the actual author to the book... Does it do him any justice? Nah, I would not say so. All his amazingness is in pages 24-25, where he transforms the face of his sister with highlights and contouring. The rest makes for a fun flipping through but not much more. I would repurchase just for the legendary author's name on the cover and the pretty-pretty pictures.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 10:07:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

A must-read for anyone who loves makeup and makeup artistry.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2011 3:33:00 AM More reviews by lucretiabrgia

While this book shows that makeup can make a significant difference to a person's appearance, it does not explain that well how the reader can apply makeup to enhance their face.

A convincing case study -yes, a showcase of Aucoin's talent- definitely, but a useful material - hardly. Investing in it is in my view optional.

And the author sounds like such a talented and nice guy...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by ns4487

This is a fantastic book! I love his techniques and the way his looks are photographed. I am currently buying makeup technique books as I am looking to further my skills so I can get some work. I devoured every word of this, and keep referring back to it when I am unsure about something. I saw Kevyn recently on an old Sex and the City episode, and had a moment of sadness...such a shame he passed away so young. Trully a makeup master and a fantastic book!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2009 1:38:00 PM More reviews by clarklovesyou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE Kevyn Aucoin's books. They're entertaining, beautifully photographed and expertly written. He offers information on basic techniques to extreme special effects. Also, he never discloses specific brands he uses but rather gives detailed descriptions and swatches of each product - allowing you to focus on the product's actual function and use whatever brand you want. Some people have complained about this, but I think it's because they lack imagination!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2009 10:58:00 AM More reviews by tokyorosa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this book long before I even began wearing makeup simply because I recognized that Kevyn Aucoin was a true artist. The photos are stunning (he took many of them himself I believe), and I could look at them and dream about being able to recreate some of the looks. (Ha, yeah, right!) It is a beautiful book for an MU amateur like me to dream over and I assume it would be a must-have for a professional.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2009 3:38:00 AM More reviews by kittymadam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I actually got this for free.

This is a great beginners book. It gives you an idea on how color works and what you can really do with make-up.

You must keep in mind that this was done by Kevyn in the 90's and some of the styles and since them become out-dated. BUT many of the classic looks still rock!

Kevyn was 1 of the 1st and is still one of the greatest artist out there. Many of our MAC looks and so forth came from his original styling. So to me, this book was really informative to let me know where it all began and how make-up has changed since then.

Make-up tips is all over the internet these days. Don't get the book for that reason. Check out this book to learn the root of how make-up should blend, applied and work together for all time "classic" looks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2009 9:00:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used to own a copy of this book as a teenager. One day I needed some extra cash so I sold it to a used book store. But I miss having this book, the pictures were great and I think it would be a good gift for anyone interested in the magic of makeup. Kevin Aucoin was a true artist and inspired many people (myself included) to further explore the world of makeup.