November 26, 2014 | 1654 users online

CD/Books/Movies - Kevyn Aucoin - Book- The Art of Makeup

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 5:22:00 PM More reviews by HotWolfie

I love Kevyn Aucoin, but this is the one of his books that I really didn't like. I didn't like the photos and I just didn't find the content very interesting. Making Faces and Face Forward are way better than The Art of Makeup. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have all of KA's books.. they are the like Bible's to me.

The fact is he was a master MUA and his work will live on forever ~~ everyone can learn from just looking at the photography.

A must read for every one who loves makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by HunieBzzz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this book several months ago used on Amazon. Kevyn has always been my favorite makeup artist. Even though it doesn't share a lot of techniques, they are still relevant today and the pictures are amazing!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2007 4:12:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I feel sooooo bad saying this .. but I really didn't find this book helpful or interesting. I thought it was mostly just stories about celebs he's worked with and how he met them. I feel soo so so bad because I love Kevyn but really just didn't like this book. I didn't think there was enough info in it....

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2007 1:43:00 PM More reviews by JoanRe101

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this book when it originally came out in 1994. I own all four Kevyn Aucoin books. Perhaps this one is my favorite. As it has been pointed out in prior reviews, there aren't a lot of makeup tips in this book (or in any of KA books.) Kevyn Aucoin was known to guard his techniques vigilantly. That was his right, of course. I wonder, if he had known that his life was going to end to abruptly and prematurely as it did, he might have been a bit more liberal in passing them along.

Little matter, really. In the photographs in this book, his handiwork lives on long past the moment when the makeup was all washed off. Kevyn Aucoin was very versatile. He created wearable, but not boring day looks; exuberant, experiemental makeup for the runway and photoshoots and morphed modern celebrities into beauty icons from the past.

The women pictured in the book run the gamut from supermodels (Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Christie Brinkley, Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss among others,) actresses and singers to other women living outside the spotlight like Mr. Aucoin's mother, sisters and friends. Each one looks great. He was able to find and bring out the beauty in each woman.

The information on application techniques covered in the book, though not plentiful, ranges from basic to advanced. Feature by feature he tells the readers about tools and products available. As a makeup junkie, I would have loved to have seem more of this information. (Though I think most people will be skipping the sections on taping and body painting.)

In this book, Kevyn Aucoin tells of his love of neutral colors -- brown eye shadow and beigey pink lipstick. He also demonstrate earlier in his creation of "The Nakeds" like for Ultima.

All these years after this book was published, browsing this book was sort of like visiting an old friend. And it did make me pull out my lipsticks and eye shadows and do a little expirementing on my own.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2006 6:25:00 PM More reviews by masucci

I've been a Kevyn Aucoin fan for many, many years. All of his books are my prized possessions! I have learned so much from this lovely man. He was gone far too soon. The Art of Makeup is his first book, and it's simply beautiful. There are not a lot of "how-to's" in this book - but it is an amazing example of how incredible this man's work was. This book is very hard to find, as it's out of print now. If you find one - especially a hard cover, you'd best snatch it up as fast as you can! To me, Kevyn Aucoin will always be the greatest make-up artist that ever graced this earth.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2005 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Artbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I finally got this from the library. It is fun to read and beautiful to look at. I have loved Kevyn Aucoin's work since I first saw it in the late '80s--his "look" was so lovely and different from what was trendy then. In looking at this book, I realized I have really picked up a lot of his philosophy over the years--his love of neutral eye shadows and pinky brown lip colors, his overall use of subtlety. Anyway, the photos are beautiful if not particularly instructive (it's not so much a how-to book as a philosophical memoir), and I'm glad that he celebrated uniqueness over stereotypical beauty.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2005 6:14:00 PM More reviews by AngelZoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A gorgeous, HUGE book. If you but the paperback, be careful or the cover will pull off, as the pages are so heavy. This is truly great for anyone trying to achieve a masterful, artist's look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2004 2:35:00 AM More reviews by LiisUsa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh my God- such a great makeup book! All 3 of his books were perfect for learning technique as well as being "coffee table books" for beauty. Please, read all three and get what u can from them. Aucoin had a unique, yet universal vision, and all 3 books show that! You will learn how to apply makeup, and also how to express yourself!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2003 2:02:00 PM More reviews by courtnie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the ultimate makeup book for makeup enthusiasts. It's so complete and very helpful. I wish I had this book before I started to fiddle around with makeup because it would have saved me a lot of time. I still have a lot to learn but now I have a more complete understanding about the application of makeup and what works for different skin tones and age ranges. *Platinum Star*