October 22, 2014 | 2082 users online

CD/Books/Movies - Bobbi Brown - Book - Bobbi Brown Beauty: The Ultimate Beauty Resource

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2009 12:27:00 PM More reviews by abbyfabby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

although i did enjoy reading this book. i felt it didnt really deserve to be called a make up book as she rarely gave techniques on how to apply the right make up but rather just preached about whats wrong and advice on make up. she needs to learn that what she doesnt like other people do. i for one love blue eyeliner and to say it doesnt suit anyone is rubbish. a good read, but left me with nothing new at the end.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really hated this book. Okay, let me rant by saying I got the impression from BB that she is the only MA who's opinion mattered and what she said had to go. I felt like she was pushing her thoughts and own biases in this book without giving ANY techniques, tips, or actual advice on MU OR beauty. I'm sorry to say BB but not EVERYONE thinks you're the best MU artist in the world, and guess what? Some people might want advice on contouring no matter what you say, and guess what else? Some people might WANT to make their lips look bigger regardless of your thoughts that you shouldn't. BB needs to get over the fact that some women will never like their flaws and instead of saying they should "embrace them", just give us the damn advice on how to fix them! That's what should be in a book about MU. Advice on how to use it, not why you shouldn't. This was a very bad marketing tatic on BB's behalf ....

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by mivums

Having never used makeup myself before college (the strong smell of a lot of my mother's stuff turned me off as a child) I found this book a really good general introduction to beauty in that it presented an encouraging philosophy of appreciating yourself. That said, in terms of hand-holding instructions, which I was looking for, it had none and I've since ordered other books that reviewers have said are more thorough with technique.

Still, I would definitely recommend it as one of a girl's first books on beauty. I liked that it advocated a pretty modest and natural look first and then encourages building up to more ambitious and stylish looks once you're comfortable with the basics.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2007 6:37:00 AM More reviews by Pink_Ice999

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree with priya2006. After reading this I felt like throwing some yellow powder right at BB. For ages I bought into the 'yellow undertones for everyone' philosophy. I now realize that it was making me look jaundiced! No, Bobbi, I do NOT look good with yellow powder sitting on my NW20 skin. Believe me, when someone really does have cool undertones, putting on yellow toned foundation just looks fake and awful. You know when you see a woman out with a really obvious fake tan? That is how yellow foundation looks on cool toned skin. Cool skin is not that rare even, maybe by worldwide standards, but it's common for British or Scandinavian women.

I also can't understand who this book is targeted at. Her advice I can only see being really useful for a teenager using makeup for the first time, but she writes like it's for someone much older?

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2007 11:37:00 PM More reviews by priya2006

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all I didn't but the book, got it on loan from the library. Anyways BB should add another B for "BORING".
Sure I agree that she gives you good basic tips on beauty [that made go duh and so nothing new there] and natural looks [which I mean come on, how complicated is that]. She seems very centred on her own self and tastes and seeks to impose it on others and I feel she's trying to really overcompensate for what she considers to be her own beauty weakness [like the thing about how droopy eyes can be great bedroom looks]. I also don't agree with the yellow powder is my freaking God for all absolutely all skins of the world. Once again... not enough variety, very close minded. I mean I'm indian and have a really hard time seeing yellow powder doing anything for a redhead with true porcelain skin.
Plus she preaches about how yellow powder is so great for us coloured people and so I guess that was it and covered it all for us since there was nothing else more about makeup for coloured skin other than a few pics of gorgeous ethnic models.
On a side note it annoys me how makeup artists like Nars and BB start their own line with neutral packaging reminiscent of MAC and then BB sells out to some generic department brand[EL] and you wonder where's the uniqueness/creativity quotient.. they don't make any more like Kevyn Aucoin anymore who came up with some crazy creations, God bless his soul[sigh]

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2006 8:14:00 AM More reviews by 8hourcream

Aesthetically, I like this book, I like some of the photos and I like the clear layout.

When it comes to the actual information though it seems dated - Bobbi is so preachy - yes, everyone knows you should eat veg and drink your water but it doesnt always work out that way. And even worse is the rules she imposes - like blue eyeliner can NEVER be recommended for ANYONE. What a load of rubbish! She also tends to recommended total avoidance of certain colours, and techniques - or if you are buying make up more than once a week, you need help and go for a run instead of buying a lipstick!

Without beauty junkies, where would MUA be?!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2006 1:26:00 AM More reviews by psychoexgirlfriend

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Great book for practical advice. Bobbi Brown's work is inspirational. I also love how she shows a variety of people in her book - from teenagers to mature women and addresses the issue of ethnicity.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2006 3:07:00 AM More reviews by burlesquebunny

I said I would buy this again even though I won't have to. So many people just look at the buy again column and make their decisions to try a product based on those percentages. Anyway this book is very informative and helpful. It answers so many questions and is great for a novice or experiened beauty lover looking to try a different look.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2005 5:46:00 PM More reviews by KelliCapwell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I actually liked the book and overall like Bobbi's philosophy towards make-up (natural, enhancing) It's funny looking at this book years later as it seems Bobbi goes against her own writings. Her "color options" make-up came out after the book was published. That seemed so against what her book was about. Then her "shimmer" bricks debut, when she specifically states on page 163 not to put shimmer on cheeks. Touts ONLY yellow based concealer only to come out w/ a pink based corrector just recently. Dissed the "brown" craze in the 80's only to have recently come out with the "chocolate" collection and then there is the glitter stuff she just came out with (she specifically stated in her book - no glitter). I also didn't enjoy the "designers on runway make-up aritst Bobbi Brown" section. It just felt out of place and like she was tooting her own horn in the middle of the book! Overall the book gives alot of great hints if you choose to go natural in your approach to make-up & how to make it last.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2005 10:14:00 PM More reviews by trempot

This book is very helpful. I'm a makeup beginner, so this provides me with a framework of how to go about makeup application. The basic face is still the fundamental look for me, especially since I'm working in an office and a corporate setting. This book exactly teaches me that. The portions on skin care are also very helpful. I also have Kevyn Aucoin's Making Faces, but it was more advanced--I still got Bobbi Brown Beauty for the purpose of getting the basics before experimenting with other techniques. Will repurchase this book if I were to recommend it to others who are just starting out like me!