Bobbi Brown Matte Eye Shadow - Bone 2

4.1

on 2/11/2015 2:43:00 PM

Ok first off the reason I love this shadow is precisely because of the yellow tones in it! I have very yellow toned, medium-light skin so clearly this works for me. Because the yellow tones match my skin this is my go to off-white shade.

The off-white definitely makes it more natural than a bright white. The colour is very soft and goes on smooth. Staying power is good as is pigmentation and I don't need to use a primer.

For reference I'm NC35 and I would say if you have warm/yellow undertones this will work great for you. I never had a problem with it highlighting dryness or patches, but tbh it's probably because I don't have them anyways. If you do have extremely dry skin on your lids then yes I suppose it would show that but only as expected from any shadow really. (also sidenote I find this really similar to UD Foxy if you want to compare to a cheaper version but I think there's slightly less product in Foxy)

on 1/19/2015 5:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This just didn't work for me. The colour is a soft, slightly buttery shade that looks great and feels creamy swatched onto the back of my hand. Unfortunately, when I apply it to my lids, using a brush or my fingers, it always reveals all these dry patches I didn't even know I had, even after moisturising. I've used other Bobbi Brown shadows before and their mattes are usually flattering and easy to use so I'm not sure what went wrong here... I'll keep trying to make it work, but overall this product is not worth it when compared to all the other similar matte shades from other brands.

Update: This doesn't reveal dry patches if I moisturise very heavily beforehand. It actually looks quite nice on without this issue, so I'm adding a lippie to the rating. However, it's still quite sheer and powdery, and overpriced because of this.

Another update: Okay, I actually sort of like this now. As far as base shades go, this one is invisible on me, which initially put me off. However, it's really useful for an extremely subtle look that just gets rids of the oil on my eyelids. It also works for blending out other shades and highlighting the browbone. I'm adding yet another lippie to the rating, and would maybe consider repurchasing if I find that returning to my usual UD Foxy doesn't cut it. :)

on 4/25/2014 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Disappointed in this shadow. I was looking at Ivory and the Bobbi Brown SA said it was too white and would not look natural, so she suggested Bone. I tried it on my hand and it was more natural looking than Ivory, so I purchased it. When I tried it on at home, the color was chalky, and a little yellow. Also, it is slightly darker than my eyelids, so I can't use as a highlight shade, which was the whole point.

on 3/17/2014 4:53:00 PM

I was quite disappointed in this eye shadow. The color is fine. It is a great shade for a subtle highlight or wash shade. But for such an expensive eye shadow it was very powdery, chalky & not as pigmented as others. Honestly, for a highlight or wash I much prefer my $4 NYX Nude Matte Eye Shadow in Lap Dance (my HG for this purpose) to this. I love Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream eye shadows, but I will not be buying any more regular eye shadow from BB.

on 3/12/2014 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love the color: skin-toned ivory, slightly darker than my skintone. Its sheer and matte, so I find it useful as a base to absorb excess oil and even up lids for a very a natural light makeup. I like how it stays put and does not need primer. Cons are its chalky and can't be layered or it looks dry/dusty and aging. I am a little disappointed and surprised in the dry texture, I expect better for the price.

on 2/18/2014 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Gorgeous matte ivory eye shadow has a creamy powder texture and is really good quality you can really see the difference as opposed to the other drug store eye shadows I have used which have been chalky streaky and faded within 30 minutes so disappointing!at $29 this is very expensive its actually too expensive but its true what they say you get what you pay for in this case its lovely and really gives me that fresh eyed look works great with neutrals aswell as darker colors love.

on 12/28/2013 3:10:00 PM

This is a matt pale cream eyeshadow - nothing like the main pic here on MA! I use it as my base colour in my paler months before I apply other eyeshadows. Good staying power and although expensive, you get a big square for your money. If you are deciding between this and Shell, Shell is slightly darker and slightly more pinky.

on 2/3/2013 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great eyeshadow, a lovely neutral ivory shade which works great as a base, either alone or with a darker shade layered on top. I use this daily and find it acts as a great base for applying eyeliner (which then stays in place all day). Although matte, I find this has a very subtle shimmer which emphasises my eyes and would expect this would look great on all pale-medium skin tones. Loses a lippie as i personally prefer to apply with my finger and don't find the small tub very user friendly - would be fine if you're applying with a brush though.

on 4/1/2012 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This has become a HG product for me. Think I am on my 5th one. Excellent matte color, goes on smooth and lasts all day. I am pale and find that I grab this to wear it alone when I just want a natural & everyday look. Use it as a base when I am going use more than one shadow or a liner. Think I started buying this about (gulp) 20 years ago when I got my first professional job. Probably tried 10 other neutral shadows over this time but ths is the one I return to over and over again. Last time I bought it was $22 but it the pan is large and it last a long time.

on 10/19/2011 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I simply cannot live w/o Bone eyeshadow. I either use it alone over my concealer (top and bottom lids) or with a fluffy brush as an all-over setting powder for smoky-eyes. It pulls everything together and blends perfectly. I think I am on my 4th or 5th. Highly recommend.