MAC Eye Shadow

4.3

on 6/26/2015 5:48:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This review is for the general eye shadow formulas and the pro refill pan packaging:

Background: Long term makeup junkie, large HE eye shadow collection. I've never been a die hard MAC fan, but I do enjoy the use of several of their products. However, MAC is just one of the many retailers and brands that I use, I don't find it any more desirable than anything else. I use what I think is good. That being said, because of personal preferences, I've never owned their eye shadows, but I'd been eyeing up a few staple colors just to see what the fuss was about. At 10 USD per pro refill pan, I restrained myself since I have a respectable collection anyway. They just had a $10 off $50 sale online though, and I figured it was time.

I purchased: Kid, Soft Brown, Haux, Brown Script and Embark

I'm very pleased with all of them formula wise. I think they are definitely good quality. All the good things people say is true in my opinion. I'm not going to go into detail since everyone has heard it all before...However...

I just HAVE to say, I was really, really disappointed in the pan and magnet combo. Truly, I was shocked. I love pan style shadow that I can stick in my Z pallets. It's my preferred method for shadow, blush, contour, everything powder. Inglot, MUFE, ABH, MUG and even Coastal Scents use metal pans that work like a dream with any magnetic pallet. The MAC eye shadows come in an aluminium, cheap looking pan with a low quality magnet glued to the bottom. I was less than impressed for the price. Although they do "stick" to my Z pallet, they do not feel secure and move around when I use them. I find it ridiculous, if you don't mind my ranting.

Do I think the quality of the eye shadow makes it worth purchasing despite the pan...Not necessarily. I'm going to purchase 4 more to fill up a small Z pallet just because I'm anal like that, and I will most definitely use them. But, no, after that, I don't think the quality is so fantastic that I need to start a full blown MAC shadow collection. The formula quality is no better than other comparable shadows. I gave 4 lippies because I simply can't fault the shadow itself, it's still good. But, I had to take off at least one because of what a disappointment the packaging was. I just can't justify the price when $1 Coastal Scents shadow offers better quality packaging than MAC. Really MAC, do your product some justice.

on 6/17/2015 7:48:00 AM

I just recently got three M.A.C. eyeshadows and after first trying one of the eyeshadows i was addicted. I got Parfair Amour Frost, Creme De Violet and Tilt Frost. While im good at doing makeup for some reason i've always had trouble with applying eyeshadow, it smears or i get too much on my brush and it crumbles off my eyelid so i was a little nervous to get eyeshadows. There was no reason to be nervous though because these eyeshadows are super easy to apply even for the worst person at applying eyeshadow. The color once brushed across your eyelid comes out in a perfectly even coat, no blotches or streaky patches. After a whole day of wearing this eyeshadow there was not one tiny bit of smudging anywhere, and none crumbled off while i was applying it either, these eyeshadows are super long lasting, beautiful colors and super easy to apply im in love. The only slight problem i have is the prices $33.00 is a bit expensive for one eyeshadow, but im not that bothered by it as this stuff is high quality and you gotta sometimes pay a little more for the good stuff. Im already making a list of what colors i want next

kay, it really depends on the color. I have an ice pink that is the perfect shadow. it goes on perfectly, and wears all day.
But I have a deep plum that is useless.

Mac has a great recycling program, but animal tests. I would buy more if they got with the times. Also I gave packaging a low grade because my eyeshadow pots always lose their glass tops!

continued >>

on 1/17/2015 1:50:00 PM

I have been a makeup junkie for 35 years. I recently discovered these shadows and I absolutely love them! I always use a primer, a transition color (Soft Brown) in my crease and then whatever color I am in the mood for, on my lid. My newest addition to my collection is Coppering. They are fun and easy to work with. They are creamy and blend wonderfully! Beautiful shadows!

on 4/13/2013 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love mac shadow their my favs of all time. Their s hardly any fall out and I have oily eyelids and they stay put all day with no creasing and they look even better with a primer underneath their so many amazing gorgeous colours . I love all mac packaging the black sparkly pots of colours and the clear lid to see the product. I think £12 for a pot is a bit much but I love the shadows too much too resist. They are the best so I treat my self every now and then to a new shadow. I would so recommend to a friend and already have getting my friends hucked on mac products, their just amazing, my fav eye shadows of all time

on 4/12/2013 12:56:00 AM

I really don't find these single eye shadow pots are as "out standing" as others saying.

I don't know it's the brushes I used to apply MAC eye shadows, or I just always ended up getting the wrong shades, none of the eye shadows I bought from MAC works for me. The texture is kind of hard that I always struggle to get enough product on my brushes or on my finger tip. The matte shade eye shadow some how always become shinning and hard on the top, which is even more difficult to use. MAC offers a great selection of eye shadow colors, so I believe that every one can find the right shades. However, I find it wasting of money to continuously searching and trying. $20 for each shade, and so far I had no luck of finding even one shade that I like or easy to work with.

Although I really like the idea of the small eyeshadow pots, I just ran out my patience to deal with it. My partner actually likes my makeup better when I spend less time on using a simple eye shadow palette, and whenever I spent a long time on working and blending all those MAC colors on my eyes he would feel that I wear too much makeup (even I don't use dark colors), so to me it's just not worth the time and the money. I'm finally ready to give away all my MAC eye shadows (yes lucky for my friends).

I would say if you are not good with makeup, don't own a big collection of really good eye shadow brushes, and not into spending too much time and a lot of money on makeup, MAC eyeshadow is definitely some thing you don't want to deal with.

on 10/17/2012 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

These are what started my love affaire with makeup. I still have the first eyeshadow I ever purchased, Whim Mineralize. I have so many, and even though MAC gets a whole bunch of slack these days, they are still my favorite brand and hold a special place in my heart. While I no longer feel like I'm cheating on MAC with other brands, it still takes up a large majority of my collection.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I give up, these are just too hard to work with. BUT I got great color recommendation from the online artist. I bought quarry, haux, digit and yogur and blackberry for green eyes. But returned them all and tried to duplicate with MUFE and Illumasqua, and did pretty well as MUFE almost, if you look online, has as many colors as MAC. The MAC online artist told me to buy yet another brush just to deposit pigment, as in "dig it out of there, then use the correct brush to apply on lid or crease". That is when I gave up, the inability to blend, the chalkiness. The new shadows are so much better. I have broken the MAC habit, and it wasn't easy.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I could write a review for each and every one of my mac shadows, but I have so many! I only got into mac about 7 months ago when I got sick to the back teeth of spending so much money on drugstore shadows and being so disappointed with them. The colours never seemed to suit me, the colour range isn't there - they just seem so generic and boring. On occasion I may find 'the one' but I have spent so much on finding them. I also found that most irritated my eyes or just disappeared that there was no sign that I had put any on! I also found that shimmery ones were waaay too shimmery and just accentuated anything I wanted to disguise, or matte ones looked flat and dull. So one day I went to Mac and never looked back. I have to say that 10 per eyeshadow is not expensive. I have spent say 10 on a trio of drugstore eyeshadows that contains hardly any product and probably only ended up using one of the colours! But with Mac I can pick and choose what I want, building up my own personal palette, which is so exciting! They all blend and look differently, can be paired up in so many ways, some can look different depending on what you pair it with - there are so many options its unreal! One eyeshadow in my palette I may regret buying, but teamed with something else can change my whole view on it. I have never been able to do this before.
I do agree with others, there are some awful fakes on eBay and Amazon. I cannot believe they are allowed to get away with it. As a buyer you have no idea what is in these products, and what is the point of saving a few pounds if they - at best - muck your skin up! I have learned the hard way from buying cheap knock off blusher. Luckily all I got was some minor blister-type breakouts, but it could have been worse. The only reason I realised they were fake was while depotting them to put in a new blusher palette. They smelled different, the casing was different, and there was actually a lot less product than it showed in the pan. After the breakout and seeing them depotted I threw these away, so didn't save money on getting these 'bargains'. Please, get them from Mac or authorised stockists. Its not worth it. And besides, these knock off can only leave a bad impression of what is great make up.

on 4/13/2012 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

With Mac eyeshadows its a hit or miss, however yes it is overly hyped but with reason.
Mac stores are readily available that offer customizable palettes over a large amount of color options. Some of the colors I find fantastic and see myself reaching for them. However some are so crappy I mind as well go to the drugstore.
I find Urban Decay to not only have a limited number of different finishes, I find their new formulation to be too frosty/pigmented for my taste despite my love for the old velvety texture. Even in current Naked Palette's I find the shadows I prefer dupe-able by Mac *gasp*. Plus UD's customizable palette's is a lot more expensive! The pans forms are universal and fit in a variety of palettes giving options. My only suggestion is to be aware of what shadow's you're buying, and a lot of the time hype may be given to a eyeshadow that is not actually that great.
I enjoy...
Naked Lunch
Sketch
Star Violet
Orb
This is due to lack of pigmentation/color

Top Rated MAC Products