L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I was at the DS looking for a new mascara and as I walked past the l'oreal section looking for my voluminous carbon black mascara I saw the telescopic and remembered all the craze over this mascara. So I picked it up and gave it a try the next day. My initial thoughts like most people, is that the brush is very small. However, I personally like smaller, thinner brushes. I curled my lashes and then applied the mascara. I noticed immediately the formula was very wet and made my curl fall out instantly. I kept applying the mascara like I usually do and then I began noticing these tiny little clumps close to the roots of my lashes. I thought maybe using a different mascara would help take them away but that just made it worse so I combed through my lashes with a small lash comb. That helped a little but it did take a while. After, I recurled my lashes and that's when I fell in love. Up close next to a mirror my lashes looked okay but from far away they looked very voluminous and LONG. I have very thin short lashes but this mascara made them look fantastic. No smudging, slight flaking but I can look past it bexcuse of the way my lashes looked. I would say give it a try if you see it! I'd buy this one over the regular carbon black mascara any day!!

I love this mascara!! My holy grail mascara. I love how it lengthens my lashes and how voluminous it makes them. I love the formula not so thick and it doesn't clump them. I wear several coats of mascara and it makes them look so full. I have a tutorial using this mascara

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

The best mascara everrr ❤️

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I didn't realize how much I loved this mascara until I started trying other ones.

This one lengthens and separates my already somewhat thick lashes without clumping or giving me spider lashes, which I hate. My lashes don't feel crunchy, sticky, or brittle. Once it dries, it doesn't smudge and give me raccoon eyes. It won't smear if I accidentally rub my eyes and won't give me those weird black "eye boogers" (ew).

This isn't great for curl, but I don't really mind. It's still literally the only mascara I wear because (a) it works, and (b) it doesn't screw with my eyes, as a contact wearer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hands down one of the best mascara's I've ever used....have tried a lot of different ones including high end and drugstore. The wand is very skinny and small but gives amazing length and definition. Great product for sure!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wasn't sure how I was going to like the brush but I ended up really loving it. The color is a great deep black and it doesn't bleed after all day wear. Definitely would repurchase and add to the rotation.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have tried several of the Telescopic mascaras but this one is the best. It is truly black, it goes on beautifully and lengthens the lashes dramatically. The one thing I don't love is that it makes my lashes straight. Most other types of brushes will give you curved lashes but not this. So, since I don't use eyelash curlers, I need to work on my technique. It is a lot of fun using this, because it goes on easily. You don't have to struggle to coax some of the mascara to be released from the brush. It's not a brush - it's a slender plastic wand and it's like painting the lashes. I love the way it applies. In my review of Maybelline Define-a-Lash I described why that one wins out slightly in my initial comparison. But the reason it wins is that it takes more work to get the long, perfect lashes and it is impossible to mess up. With Telescopic Carbon Black, it's effortless and immediate and you have to hold back or it's too much. It's almost too good, so that I wish I'd used less. However, because of its lovely super-black consistency and absolutely glamourous effect, I have to give it 4 stars, same as the Maybelline product. For me to achieve the perfect lash probably means scraping more off before I start, and trying to curl the lashes upward as I apply it.

One other slight problem - tiny flakes came off initially, but very tiny so I am not taking off marks for that. I think it was my overly lavish application.

I just think this is a superior product to all the new stuff that's focused on volume. I really only want my lashes to look longer and darker and that is what this does.

L'Oreal is quite pricey for drug store mascaras. The Maybelline is a better buy, but this particular Telescopic Carbon Black was reduced in price which made it a bargain.

What about my hg Lancome and Chanel, you may ask? Yes, but they are getting older and I've hung onto them far longer than six months, which is not really recommended. It's nice to have a brand new mascara.

Update Feb. 1/16: After using it more, I am lowering my rating because it flakes horribly every time, and made my eyelids itch. It's too harsh for me.

I was really, really disappointed with this product after hearing several people rave about it. I seem to be in the minority who LOVES the wand - I find that it distributes a good amount of product on the top lashes and it makes bottom lashes super easy.

But... my first application was super clumpy. Second was even worse. Throughout the day, the mascara smudged like crazy onto my under eyes. My concealer was gone after wiping away mascara at LEAST three times in the one day.

I've given this product several chances. I've used it almost every day for a week. I've tried using ABH lash genius to make it waterproof in hopes of no smudging to no avail. I'm keeping the wand because I love it but the formula? Not so much. Probably passing on to a friend.

This product is also pretty pricey in Australia. About $27. I much prefer my Maybelline colossal formula which is about $20 but often on sale at Priceline, Big W and Chemist Warehouse.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Of all the drugstore mascaras and even several high end ones I've tried, this one takes the cake no question. It adds length and volume and is the perfect shade, but unlike some i've tried before, doesn't give me spider lashes with more than one coat.

It usually doesn't take more than two coats for me, however, especially if I curl my lashes first. It's effects last, too, as I've noticed after wearing it for 12 plus hours a day my lashes still look gorgeous.

In conclusion, I'm in love. :)

I really love the formula, but not the wand. The formula is amazing, it doesn't flake, and after 2 months of use, it's still wet. It also washes off really well with just water.

The wand gives me spider lashes, and there is always too much product on it, which is hard to scrape back into the tube because the wand is bendy.

To get the best out of it, I apply it to both my upper lashes, then immediately comb it out with my old mascara wand (classic spoolie). This separates my lashes and takes off some of the extra product, then I do the same to my lower. The outcome is thick, separated, and fully coated lashes. Looks like falsies :)

Popular Mascaras