October 21, 2014 | 984 users online

Fragrances - Calvin Klein - Obsession

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2014 11:58:00 AM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading reviews I decided that I was missing out by not trying this one so I ordered a tester bottle off ebay. Incense with a hint of vanilla....mmmmmm. I love this and will wear it alot this fall! It's also nice that it lasts all day without reapplying and yes, it's very strong so don't put on too much. If you're a lover of spicy scents you may really like this if you haven't tried it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 12:28:00 PM More reviews by KathieL

Musky and sexy. My early twenties was spent bathed in this. Love the deep scent.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2014 2:40:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Cautionary tale: I went to a secretarial luncheon at my company in the early 90's, and with eyes rolling, the group complained about Candice's Obsession (she was otherwise a sweet & well-liked person -- not in attendance at this luncheon).

Apparently, Candice's daily application of Obsession filled the whole administration building each morning (I personally worked in another building). And from my experience, it doesn't take much of this classic to fill a space -- it's quite a floater. I doubt Candice actually applied very much, probably a small squirt was enough to travel into the big open central space of that building.

Although I'm an oriental lover, Obsession didn't appeal to me when it first came out in the mid-80's, so I didn't jump on buying a bottle. There was some *note* in there that I didn't like (civet? or a spice, like maybe coriander?) -- or else it wasn't sweet enough -- or vanilla enough -- or else it was too flat and just -- brown. I don't know, something in the mix rubbed me the wrong way -- I wasn't sold, didn't buy it.

And then our Airborne Express courier came in one cold, dark winter's day around year 1988 to pick up a package after lunch -- and she smelled quite warm & wonderful -- so I asked her what she was wearing, and it was Obsession. It was afternoon, and it smelled lke a nice warm woody scent on her. Well, that changed my mind, so that's when I bought my dab-on splash bottle and began wearing one small dab of it. Enjoyed it, for the most part, but I never finished the bottle and eventually threw it away when it turned extremely dark.

I now have a spray bottle which I bought a couple years ago but have barely used. After seeing recent board raves, I tried it again on a Saturday, back in Nov or Dec -- and while running my errands, I felt like I reeked. I tried not to get close to other people in stores. I hadn't put much on, but it seemed so strong, and it still had that strange unidentified spice basenote that I never liked.

I was very self-conscious that morning, and it never seemed to wear off -- at all. I haven't worn it since, but I'm not willing to give my bottle away -- I'll keep it. So Obsession has come and gone in my life. I didn't like it -- then I liked it -- now I'm back to not liking it very much again. It's one of those I should have loved (it fits my usual tastes) but for whatever reason, it has mostly not been one of my favorites.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2014 1:41:00 PM More reviews by McSwimmer

I don't know how to explain this fragrance. Let's see...I like this scent but it doesn't like me.
Nice fragrance but way too strong. I had a small sample bottle of this. I wore it for hours; all the while loving the scent. It did NOT give me a headache, but it--literally--made me sick to my stomach. Thinking I might be nauseous for a different reason, I tried Obsession again. I'm sorry to say this, but I got sick to my stomach a second time. I gave my little bottle away.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 8:31:00 PM More reviews by jeane519

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love Obsession, just as much as I loved the 80's! I miss the strong perfumes, now everyone seems to be so sensitive that I can only wear it at home.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2014 9:21:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a great debut this stuff made back in '85! Turning the fragrance world on its head-- as much with its naughty ads as with its heady, luscious, velvety sillage. The juxtaposition of sharp green bergamot and tagetes with thick spices was really something new. I remember wearing the Designer Imposter and lemming the real deal. The stuff was so sexually overt for its time, it caused synchronized ovulations across America.

I own a couple of vintage bottles, one splash EDP from 1986 and one spray from the mid-'90s, as well as the current incarnation (which is a bit thinner and more dilute, lacking in some of the sebaceous muskiness of the original, but still not markedly different). And I have to say... Obsession hasn't aged well. Not nearly as well, ironically, as some much older Orientals like Shalimar and Emeraude.

I daresay that Obsession's cinnamon-amber-tonka base-- which had to be that ornate in order to fit in with its zeitgeist of shoulder pads, cocaine, and rampant materialism-- now reads as dated and stale to my nose. Even a bit dirty: the odor of that guy on the bus, whose exact bodily origin you'd rather not consider. As much as I admire Obsession's distinctive signature, I don't think it's a true classic as much as a product of another time, another place. It will remain in my fond possession, along with my pouffy metallic prom dress, but neither will actually be worn again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by indiawilkes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am an educated 57 year old southern lady who found the ads for Obsession so annoying that I avoided smelling or sampling it til TODAY! Damn, This stuff is to die for gorgeous, rich , feminine and SEXY. Best yet , the price is reasonable and the fragrance lasts all day and then some. I still am turned off by the cheesy ads, but this fragrance is undeniably powerful in a head turning way .

I am sniffing what I sampled earlier today , which has not faded in ten hours. Tomorrow I will march back and buy a bottle .I am a fan of classy orientals like Coco , Opium, and Euphoria , which are timeless classics. Euphoria , another Calvin Klein , is a fragrance that yields endless compliments , projects well, and lasts and lasts in a sultry way also. This one has a vanilla and musk vibe that is perfect and SOPHISTICATED.

Euphoria and Obsession are fabulous buys for the money !

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Seemi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This fragrance has got to be one of my all time favourite. I'm in love and I'll continue to purchase as long as it's available. I buy the older version the cap with the gold band as the later version all brown see through cap is a vile concoction not to my taste. The original is warm heady golden musky goodness. A couple of sprays will last you all day testament to the quality of obsession. Try to get your hands on an older version mainly available on eBay and give it a whirl. I wonder if you too will develop an obsession just like me :)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

First whiff-adoration! No matter what others say, I will always love this perfume. I truly believe all the hype and commercialization has turned people off through the years and that is a true shame. It's a beautiful fragrance that should not be taken lightly.
A warm, powdery, sweet scent with amber laden spices surrounding and tickling your nose. Creaminess abounds throughout the different layers and surround your olfactory senses constantly.
Vanilla, peach, citrus and basil are what I get in the top notes, spices, oakmoss and cedar in the middle, and amber, musk, civet, incense and vetiver in the base. This is such a complicated fragrance and that's the reason I delight in it.
Obsession gives me an image of leather riding boots, cable knit winter white sweaters over well-worn Levis, cozy comfortable clothing, a pashmina scarf tossed casually around my neck. It has a hint of masculinity, yes, very definitely. It appeals to the yin and yang of our souls. Forget the commercials and what the media has told you. Spray it again on a vulnerable spot and luxuriate in yourself. You'll be glad you tried it again. It's a sensual fragrance that awakens your inner self.
Although it seems more of a night-time fragrance based in the cooler months, I love wearing it year-round. It's mystique and scent is just that delicious.
It's rather long-lasting, more than 6 hours on me. It's sillage radiates also beyond yourself depending on how much you spray, so be careful. One spray is more than enough.
Top Notes: Green Notes, Mandarin Orange, Vanilla, Basil, Peach, Bergamot, Lemon.
Middle Notes: Spices, Coriander, Sandalwood, Orange Blossom, Oakmoss, Cedar, Rose, Jasmine.
Base Notes: Musk, Civet, Vanilla, Amber, Vetiver, Incense.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

I had the original Obsession as a teenager in the 1980s. I can tell you that this version you get in Sephora these days is truly crap. There are no other words for it. The only time Obsession these days , smells remotely like the 5 star Obsession I knew is when smelling it on the sprayer and perhaps for a couple of seconds on skin. It then becomes a parody of itself. It smells like cheap ,horrible plastic crap. very bad. It's not worth the price. very disappointing.The original Obsession was a fantastic fragrance with depth and longevity and presence, character.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No