DIY Salt Scrub for Oily Skin

Price: $

Price: $

NaCl

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I added table salt to my new Olay "foaming" facial cleanser because it was not working for me. No foam, little cleansing power, pricey. I used my fingers to mix the salt with the cleanswer and then massage the graininess into my skin. After I rinsed I couldn't believe how smooth my face felt! It's pretty miraculous. Very impressed, but I have oily skin that is not sensitive. This probably wouldn't work well for people with dry skin.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Fine table salt, iodized ok, should always be used wet, with some water-- NEVER BY ITSELF OR DRY! Simple scrub: lather up some bar soap, as dove, and gently wash all over face, and neck. Rinse well with warm or hotter water with the help of a wash cloth. Pat dry. Relather up water and soap, adding about tspoon of table salt. Mix this in palm of hands and G.E.N.T.L.Y wash with this, rinse with warm water. Moisturize your damp skin with a few drops of pure vegetable glycerin. Learn what works for your skin-- more frequent, warmer to hotter water, how long, etc. Can also be used in bath as body scrub. Very nice smooth feel. Always rinse any and all salt off from any skin, it should not remain on skin. If you like the effect, then increase frequency of the scrub. Except for a little salted water on a zit, overnight, to dry it up. You do not want this effect on all you skin. Takes 42 days for skin to renew itself so you can plan.

I had one of those crazy allergies with this. Be careful!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

works great if you have asbestos skin.
it does work amd can help with breakouts. i've used this before with honey , however, it did make my skin a bit sore afterwards.
it's one od things you have to try for yourself. everyone's skin reaction is different.
it's bot expensive and everyone will have salt in their kitchen cupboard im sure.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I do not recommend this for anyone's skin.

First, salt breaks people out. Ever had a workout and your [salty] sweat broke you out if you didn't take a shower afterward. It clogs pores really easily.

Secondly, all salt has uneven jagged tiny little edges. That's bad for skin. It's not exfoliating, it is scratching little abrasions to he surface of your skin, not encouraging cell turn-over. Maybe find some rounded salt somewhere maybe?

If you rub salt enough into your skin, it'll get inflamed and make your skin problems worse or make new ones. If you want some of that, at least buffer it with some oils at least.

If you really want a body scrub, try oatmeal. For a finer scrub, try sugar, the more fine grained, the gentler. Oatmeal also has some anti-inflammatory properties. Just make sure you have something to capture it so it doesn't go down your drain.

Also, use scrubs for surface irregularities. Deeper skin problems will need some chemical exfoliants to encourage skin to shed old cells and create newer, better ones. Some types, BHAs(aka salicylic acid), dissolve oil in the pore lining. Of course, assuming it's at the right pH and doesn't have inflammatory agents(like added fragrance or volatile compounds).

And please, use a water soluble cleanser(not a bar cleanser). Honey won't clean your skin. If anything, it's best left on, not rinsed away.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used to exfoliate every night until a sea foam facial sponge broke me out. Wanting to use an all natural exfoliater I looked up some recipes online & came upon a good bit of info: Dry skinned ladies use sugar because it moisturizes real well; if you have sensitive skin no matter if it's oily or dry, use brown sugar instead of white; and if you have oily skin all across the board use salt because it dries out the skin, but sensitive skinned ladies use with caution. I regularly use "O" Organic Honey to cleanse my face (it's safe for sensitive skin, anti-bacterial & gently moisturizes while balancing oil) & when I'm exfoliating I just take my Honey like normal & sprinkle some very coarse salt into it, rub between my fingers & massage into my skin. Even though I have mildly sensitive skin the coarse salt didn't irritate my pimples or cause any tears into my skin. Just to be safe though I'll only use this every 3 or 4 days. If it's still too much I'll switch to a fine milled table salt. My skin is left super soft, clean & even-toned. My breakouts are greatly reduced. My sensitive skin toner doesn't even sting when I apply it anymore. Since I suffer from body breakouts I'll test this out on those areas & update. I feel so silly, not for applying home kitchen items to my face, but for just recently spending so much of my mother's money on drugstore skincare that I haven't even been using lately. I do hide this from my mom &
younger sister though..they're the type of people that think not washing my hair everyday and replacing it with dry shampoo is so gross if you have oily hair like I do & using food on your face is a waste of good cooking items. But at last, they work great for me :)

Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure

In combination with a product, salt adds as a great exfoliator and gently dries out skin. I always noticed my skin looks great after being at the beach so I gave it a try. Just make sure you grind down the salt quite a bit.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I just gave myself the nicest, easiest facial ever. I mixed a bit of honey, some Castille soap, a dash of jojoba and table salt. my skin feels great, and the whole thing probably cost 50 cents.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

OH MY GOOOD.
Normally i don't have a sensitive skin. I tried it instead of my usual scrub and OMG. My face is super-super-super red as a tomato, it burns, tights.. I feel like i have a face in some fire!!!! Oh my god, how could i do that!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I've been trying to use more DIY/homemade/organic skincare products, where possible. Salt is handy because it's in everyone's kitchen and it's so cheap and versatile, yet so effective!

The exfoliating properties of salt are amazing and the amount of beauty 'recipes' I can concoct with this one product is amazing. I use it on its on, or mixed with oils and it gives the most wonderful exfoliation for my back!

If you haven't used salt, try it!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products