DIY Salt Scrub for Oily Skin

Price: $

NaCl

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

works great if you have asbestos skin.
it does work amd can help with breakouts. i've used this before with honey , however, it did make my skin a bit sore afterwards.
it's one od things you have to try for yourself. everyone's skin reaction is different.
it's bot expensive and everyone will have salt in their kitchen cupboard im sure.

on 12/5/2014 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I do not recommend this for anyone's skin.

First, salt breaks people out. Ever had a workout and your [salty] sweat broke you out if you didn't take a shower afterward. It clogs pores really easily.

Secondly, all salt has uneven jagged tiny little edges. That's bad for skin. It's not exfoliating, it is scratching little abrasions to he surface of your skin, not encouraging cell turn-over. Maybe find some rounded salt somewhere maybe?

If you rub salt enough into your skin, it'll get inflamed and make your skin problems worse or make new ones. If you want some of that, at least buffer it with some oils at least.

If you really want a body scrub, try oatmeal. For a finer scrub, try sugar, the more fine grained, the gentler. Oatmeal also has some anti-inflammatory properties. Just make sure you have something to capture it so it doesn't go down your drain.

Also, use scrubs for surface irregularities. Deeper skin problems will need some chemical exfoliants to encourage skin to shed old cells and create newer, better ones. Some types, BHAs(aka salicylic acid), dissolve oil in the pore lining. Of course, assuming it's at the right pH and doesn't have inflammatory agents(like added fragrance or volatile compounds).

And please, use a water soluble cleanser(not a bar cleanser). Honey won't clean your skin. If anything, it's best left on, not rinsed away.

on 8/25/2014 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used to exfoliate every night until a sea foam facial sponge broke me out. Wanting to use an all natural exfoliater I looked up some recipes online & came upon a good bit of info: Dry skinned ladies use sugar because it moisturizes real well; if you have sensitive skin no matter if it's oily or dry, use brown sugar instead of white; and if you have oily skin all across the board use salt because it dries out the skin, but sensitive skinned ladies use with caution. I regularly use "O" Organic Honey to cleanse my face (it's safe for sensitive skin, anti-bacterial & gently moisturizes while balancing oil) & when I'm exfoliating I just take my Honey like normal & sprinkle some very coarse salt into it, rub between my fingers & massage into my skin. Even though I have mildly sensitive skin the coarse salt didn't irritate my pimples or cause any tears into my skin. Just to be safe though I'll only use this every 3 or 4 days. If it's still too much I'll switch to a fine milled table salt. My skin is left super soft, clean & even-toned. My breakouts are greatly reduced. My sensitive skin toner doesn't even sting when I apply it anymore. Since I suffer from body breakouts I'll test this out on those areas & update. I feel so silly, not for applying home kitchen items to my face, but for just recently spending so much of my mother's money on drugstore skincare that I haven't even been using lately. I do hide this from my mom &
younger sister though..they're the type of people that think not washing my hair everyday and replacing it with dry shampoo is so gross if you have oily hair like I do & using food on your face is a waste of good cooking items. But at last, they work great for me :)

on 11/2/2013 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure

In combination with a product, salt adds as a great exfoliator and gently dries out skin. I always noticed my skin looks great after being at the beach so I gave it a try. Just make sure you grind down the salt quite a bit.

on 8/22/2013 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I just gave myself the nicest, easiest facial ever. I mixed a bit of honey, some Castille soap, a dash of jojoba and table salt. my skin feels great, and the whole thing probably cost 50 cents.

on 4/13/2013 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

OH MY GOOOD.
Normally i don't have a sensitive skin. I tried it instead of my usual scrub and OMG. My face is super-super-super red as a tomato, it burns, tights.. I feel like i have a face in some fire!!!! Oh my god, how could i do that!

on 4/6/2013 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I've been trying to use more DIY/homemade/organic skincare products, where possible. Salt is handy because it's in everyone's kitchen and it's so cheap and versatile, yet so effective!

The exfoliating properties of salt are amazing and the amount of beauty 'recipes' I can concoct with this one product is amazing. I use it on its on, or mixed with oils and it gives the most wonderful exfoliation for my back!

If you haven't used salt, try it!

on 2/9/2013 7:02:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Fantastic as a face and body scrub but the trick is to not over do it. My skin can tolerate exfoliation quite well, it seems that I have a high cell turn over rate or something, so that may explain why my face can handle it. I found with myself that using salt scrub I got very similar results ( and feels quite the same) as microdermabrasion sessions. So most people wouldnt tolerate this multiple times a week.

I would recommend using a teaspoon in some olive oil, spread over face and body and scrub gently. If you have sensitive skin just use a bit less. Like I said previously my skin can handle this quite well so Ive used double that amount of salt before and left it on for a few mins before washing off

I use this as a body polish as well, it works fantastically well. I mix with coconut oil and leaves skin silky smooth and shiny :)

on 7/14/2012 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I use ordinary table salt to exfoliate with, and I can honestly say it is one of the best physical scrubs I have ever used for an easy and quick exfoliation.

I usually hate the trouble of exfoliating, but this makes it so easy that it I do it every two days and it keeps my skin healthy, shiny and clear.

This is MUCH better than sugar for exfoliating my face, however I use sugar and olive oil for my body after shaving because salt would be too painful on cuts and scrapes!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought so many scrubs and nothing could compare to this. I find that scrubs have large size granules that really irritates the skin. With salt you could actually make the granules smaller, depending on what you like, by stirring it with water until some of it dissolves. The exfoliating effect is sooo natural, I use this one a week with honey and a bit of water.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products