September 15, 2014 | 1847 users online

Treatments (Face) - Galderma - Benzac AC 5 (benzoyl peroxide gel 5%)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by 0mollyrose0

I've always suffered from black heads on my nose and spots on the sides of my cheeks. I've tried everything to clear the spots and blackheads but nothing worked except this. Within 5 days my nose was completely clear of black heads and my cheeks spot free. Absolutely in love with this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by cwabby

I've had acne for the past 10yrs but in the last 2 months my face broke out like I've never seen it before. Both cheeks were full of cystic acne as well as regular zits. it was incredibly itchy and painful to the touch. My doctor gave me retin a and that helped quite a bit but you go through the dreaded retin a purge where it gets worse before it gets better. anyway in the last 2 weeks most of my cystic acne is gone and just massive zits remain all over my cheeks. I decided to try the 5% gel to get rid of spots overnight. Am overjoyed to say that this worked like a charm. This gel combined with my cetaphil gentle cleanser is now my hg routine. It dried up about 70% of my zits the first night alone and it's been getting better and better. You do need to moisturise afterwards because it can leave your skin feeling dry and flaky.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Smooshus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I used Benzac 5% for around a year and a half after my sister told me to and I was like whatever, sure. Soon realised it worked so well. I have extremely oily skin, have always had quite bad pimples, but I'm not that vain so I just got used them in my teenage years. After using this for maybe two months I had fairly clear skin, maybe one or two pimples occasionally. I got so used to having clear skin, I didn't even wear makeup and it was totally fine.

In Nov 2013 I decided to stop using it and see what happened, SUCH A BAD IDEA. I got terrible, terrible breakouts Dec 2013- Jan 2014, possibly the worst I've ever had. My forehead was constantly bumpy and I was getting horn pimples in bizarre places (don't know the official term, maybe cysts haha). It's also summer here, so I was not wearing makeup at all, only moisturiser and a non-clogging sunscreen (tried and tested previously), so I couldn't blame any other facial products.

I started feeling really self conscious about my face, it was horrible, so I went back to the gel. After two weeks ish of using it basically twice a day to really obliterate the pimples, I'm almost back to my clear skin. I still have pimples and red spots and sometimes horns but they disappear quicker, I now don't wear makeup (because I'm lazy) and I'm not self conscious at all about my face. It says on the packet that it can take up to a month to be perrrrrfect so I've still got a week or two to get to that point, hoping I'm am clear faced after that!

Also a lot of people say this product is quite drying, my general opinion on that is GIVE ME MORE. I have very oily skin, like, wipe with a cloth in the middle of the day because its so oily, so anything with 'drying' effects is like, yes, yes come to me. With this, I think its less oily during the day, but regardless, I notice no problems with peeling or tight skin. Holy grail for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by RhiannonHocking

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Holy grail product for me. I'm 23, have had moderate acne since puberty. For me, nothing works better than this gel used all over my face morning and night after a 2% salicylic acid toner (which helps to 'slough off' the dry/dead skin the benzac creates). I tend to stray/get lazy with my routine but this clears my skin right up in just a few weeks of use every time I go back to it! Initially there is some dryness/peeling but that's normal and subsides after 4 weeks or so. It also works on any disgusting body acne I get (sweat pimples etc) AND ON INGROWN HAIRS! My only complaint is there isn't more in the tube because I go through so much of the stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2014 2:41:00 AM More reviews by Shellziebellzie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It is a worthwhile product to have in your essentials skincare routine if your skin is acne-prone. It does sting and irritate a little upon your first week or so of appliance, but should be able to apply liberally after the initial stage. Heat and sunlight do not go well with this product, and heightened the itching burning sensation, so use with caution in summer. For those with normal-sensitivity skin, start off with this one. Those with sensitive skin, go with the 2.5%. Never start off with the 10%. That is unless you have skin as tough as Smaug.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2013 9:06:00 AM More reviews by cankcank

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It's harsh, it hasn't cleared up my acne at all, but it makes me feel better to apply something instead of being helplessly blemished!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by kbono23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

love but not HG! has done great things but no real hype! would buy again, but still searching for my HG product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 5:30:00 AM More reviews by strobegirl1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It's been 5 months and 21 days for me. I use this alongside the Cetaphil Oily/Acne prone skin cleanser and/or the Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating Lotion with Cliniques Moisture Surge Intense.
It is incridible. Absolutely amazing. When you have acne as bad as i did you think there's no way out, Benzac AC is the way out. Start out with the 2 or 2.5 and persist. For me within 5 days I noticed a difference. 5 months later and i can tell it works because i still break out when i DONT use it.
All I have now is the acne pigmentation. I wish so much that someone would have told me to use this so so much.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2013 7:38:00 AM More reviews by teacuppig

I used to use the 2.5%, which worked really well in the beginning but gradually became less effective, so I went up to 5%. Unfortunately, the exact same thing happened - my acne was well controlled for a few weeks then slowly came back again. I'm hesitant to try the 10% because I don't want dry flaky skin. It seems like benzoyl peroxide for some reason only controls my acne effectively if I use it for a few weeks then stop for a few weeks then come back to it. If I use it continuously the effect somehow wears off. I would repurchase it just because I don't know of any other product that works better but I can't count on benzac to be acne free :(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2013 4:45:00 AM More reviews by paralleluniverse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Skin type: combination, acne-prone with oily T-zone and nose, dry cheeks

Pros:
- Reasonably priced at AU $14 for a 50mL tube

- Works well with consistent use. Last year in my final year of high school, my skin was breaking out all the time and I had whiteheads that just didn't go away. Foundation only covered the redness but exacerbated the appearance of whiteheads; I needed to get my skin to the best condition it could be. I applied this product from October 2012 - late December 2012 at night and slowly but steadily, my break outs reduced and whiteheads (ones that I thought would never go away!) finally disappeared. Of course, I had a gentle cleansing routine where I used Cetaphil cleanser and a good acne-friendly moisturiser (Nivea Soft).

Now my skin is great condition - I have clear skin with some milia between my eyes and very few break outs. I now use this as spot treatment and it works fairly well, in conjunction with clay masks.

Cons:

- A bit drying if you apply all over your face. So, only apply to spots if you don't want your skin to feel dry all over!

EDIT (01/08/14):
Holy. This is now officially my HG for treating flesh coloured bumps without a head that can't be popped, a hundred or so tiny persisting whiteheads on my forehead (ABSOLUTELY disgusting in daylight! :( ) and close clusters of skin coloured bumps on the sides of the eyebrow and on both cheeks. After a year of pretty good skin, I suddenly had a pretty terrible break out in February 2014 that didn't get better despite futile attempts to pop which only caused more redness and scarring. Worst of all, the bumps kept coming back. (NEVER POP these kind of things - for pimples with an obvious head, I can guess you can even though it's best not to; but I just can't keep my fidgety fingers and stop the urge to pop those suckers).

I diligently applied tea tree oil first - that didn't work. Then I turned to salicylic acid which was only effective on pimples with a head. I didn't really have much active acne except for when TOM comes - it was just those damn flesh coloured bumps all over my face. So it didn't help much. I also tried not wearing face make up for a few weeks - nothing happened, the bumps remained. I simplified my skin routine - still no difference. I incorporated a gentle chemical exofoliant (Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant - awesome and gentle enough for daily use) and used it every day when I was bothered or when I was lazier, every other day. It decreased the size of the small bumps on the area between my brows and eyes but they were still there. I tried numerous clay masks (Queen Helene Mint Julep, Formula 1.0.06 Deep Down Detox, Freemans Avocado & Oatmeal Mask) in an attempt to eradicate the impurities. Despite using them every 3-4 days, I didn't really notice any difference on those pesky bumps.

I didn't know what I was doing wrong. My confidence plumetted to an all-time low because I felt like my skin was going to be in this terrible bumpy state forever. Nothing seemed to work. I applied foundation every single day to cover up the redness caused by me foolishly using a comedone tool to pop the bumps on my cheeks. I just felt disgusting - the bumps were SO painfully obvious.

Then I had had enough. 5 months of being stuck with crap skin that just didn't respond to anything (or so it seemed...). In the last week of July, I finally decided to whip out the long forgotten benzoyl peroxide gel which I hadn't used in ages because it's too drying for daily use. I was so desperate. I slathered it on at night and didn't expect much. The next morning - I was in a world of shock. The bumps on the upper left side of my face (not including forehead) were gone. COMPLETELY GONE. There were still a few stubborn bumps left on the upper right side but the size of the bumps had greatly decreased. The bumps on the cheeks decreased a lot, size-wise.

I have been using consistently for the last 4 days and my skin is getting SO much better. The bumps are gone on the upper left side of my face (not including forehead - a major problem area) are all but gone. The cheek bumps have significantly lessened and most of them are gone. I'm guessing they'll probably be gone in around 2-3 weeks - I'm only going to use BP two to three times a week instead of every day because it's incredibly drying on my oily-combination skin despite a very hydrating and moisturising skincare routine. My forehead which I used to view with frustration because of the hundreds of miniscule bumps (perhaps 200, not even kidding) which were far too small to pop are mostly no longer there anymore. There's probably around 20-30 bumps on my forehead left to clear now.

PS. I realised that after I apply BP, it makes bumps significantly smaller and when it's practically flattened and only slightly raised, there's a little head. It's a lot easier to get the gunk out now (yes I know I was preaching against popping...but as I said, I can't stop myself!). After cleansing my skin, I popped a few of the much smaller bumps with a head using my hands - I watched in fascination as a pale white/yellow long substance came out and then I slathered on BP over the popped areas. The next day, a lot of my forehead bumps weren't bumps anymore - it was just FLAT skin. This is a MUST-HAVE product for people who have similar problems as me. Hope this helped! :)