July 31, 2014 | 2008 users online

Polishes - NARS - Zulu

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by redeyelinerjunkie

This is one of those colors that's to die for, but has a formula that will drive you crazy.

Zulu is squarely green (it doesn't lean teal or yellow), and pleasingly so. It's not muted, not dusty, not "blackened", just pure vibrant emerald green saturated to near black. It's fairly translucent, so it has that nice stained glass appearance that makes jellies so striking. Just think of your favorite translucent vampy red nail polish (essie wicked works well enough)... this is that, but green.

The problem? The formula is impossibly watery. The color looks best at two coats, but is never EVER even at two coats. It comes out streaky and patchy no matter how carefully it is applied. Three coats solves this problem, but you end up with a color too solid and dark.

The solution? Add in small amounts of a clear nail polish (with a consistency you like) -- this will improve the consistency as well as lighten the color a bit.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2011 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Ravey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Zulu was basically the mythical creature of nail polishes, and so when it was rereleased I was pretty eager to get my hands on it. It's a somewhat transparent deep jelly green color that is opaque after two coats. It's a pretty color, but I just don't think it lives up to the hype. I never really find myself reaching for it. I'm pretty sure I'd like it more if it didn't look mostly just black after two coats. The green does stand out in sunlight, but indoors it just looks like green tinged black....which maybe is your thing, but it's not my favorite. The formula is nice, but I'm not a big fan of the brush. For the price I don't think it's worth it, basically.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 9:29:00 AM More reviews by roastedvanilla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

Zulu sold out everywhere when it was rereleased last year & I managed to find a bottle of this little beaut in a back street near Covent Garden. I have relatively tanned skin and this makes my hands/fingers look slender & elegant both during the summer months & in colder seasons when I'm a little paler.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2010 2:47:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I didn't really care when this polish was re-released; it's green, and I didn't do greens. Period. And then a switch flipped in my head and I decided that I liked greens, and I *really* liked dark greens, so then I had to have Zulu. NARS are more than I generally like to spend on polishes, but I have several and the formula is fantastic on all of them. Zulu is no exception; it does take 3 coats to get opaque (it's a jelly, it's par for the course), but wear has been phenomenal on it, and I've had no issues w/ Seche Vite causing it to shrink. Color-wise it's similar to NYC Flat Iron Green, but there's a few key differences. While in the shade Zulu and FIG look similar (blackened green) in the sun they're totally different. In the sun Zulu looks like a rich, emerald green, and "squishy"; FIG still looks almost black, and of course it's a creme finish.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 4:56:00 AM More reviews by zulufanatic

So after discovering a year ago that Zulu existed, I made it my personal mission to make a franken that could live up to it. After spending probably 20-30 dollars on dupes and other greens and black to make my own, I gave up. Since the color had been discontinued, I sadly resigned myself to the idea that I would never own a bottle of my own... and then a miracle happened. Zulu was re-released on September 24th, and I reserved a bottle at my local Lord and Taylor. As soon as I put it on, I knew that it was everything I had dreamed of and more. It's an amazing formula. I'm on day 4 of my manicure and the paint still looks fresh. It looks gorgeous and glossy. The color is a deep phthalo green, that with one coat, looks like a bright emerald, and with 3-4 coats, looks like a deep blackish-green. After finally seeing it in person, it makes me laugh when I see franken-zulus and other greens that are compared to it. There is no other deep green that can touch this. This is a must own.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2009 11:54:00 PM More reviews by allThingsGirl

I love this color! It is the absolute perfect vampy dark green that doesn't make your hands look sickly. It stays on really well. I was able to wear it on my nails with little damage for almost a week -- and I wash dishes 6-8x a day. However, I'm sad that the formula is a little too streaky to only wear one or two coats because both of those color levels are nice too. I think you either love the color or you don't, which explains the mixed reviews here.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've seen this color on other people's nails & that enough to keep me from buying it(aside from the fact that Nars charges 15 damn dollars for it!). This is perhaps the ugliest color I've ever seen. Deep, dark, sickly looking, baby-diarrhea-rotten-seaweed green. It actually kind of makes me nauseous to look at it cause it just looks like it SMELLS. Who would actually wear this? I mean other than on Halloween or when you want to truly offend people??? Ugh. And it's streaky and transparent too! Wtf. If you want hideous nails with streaks all over at least go for something cheaper.

Sorry, but Zulu is truly horrid. Turrible.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2008 6:45:00 PM More reviews by LucieFurr

I absolutely adore this nail polish. After one careful coat it's a gorgeous jungle green. After 2-3 coats it's a beautiful deep dark green that almost looks black. It wears perfectly with out chipping. Best nail polish ever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2007 1:52:00 AM More reviews by strawberrytaurus

I'm so glad that I got my hands on Zulu!!! At first the idea of green n/p didn't appeal to me but when I saw the model on the cover of Sephora's 2007 Holiday catalog wearing the n/p I knew I had to have it!!! It is the perfect vampy green. It looks black in the bottle unless you look at it up close. Like the reviewer below said, it totally reminded me of Elphalba from the play "Wicked" and I wish that I would've had this in time for halloween. This is a perfect holiday color not to mention that it is very unique. Only thing that I didn't like was the price (I swapped for this b/c I will NEVER pay $15 for a n/p) and the fact that it requires 3 coats for an even application. Overall though I love, love, love Zulu and I can't stop staring at my mani!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 9:40:00 AM More reviews by verybridgetjones

This is FABULOUS! Zulu is a blackened emerald green. It looks almost black in dim light, but when you look closer you can see that it is most certainly a sexy, vampy green. It reminds me of Elphaba in "Wicked"!

The downside of this polish is the first coat applies VERY streaky, which is too bad because it comes out a true emerald green with one coat, but it's simply to messy not to add another coat. It would be nice to have the option of wearing this both light and dark. Oh well... I took off one lippie for that, and also because NARS polish is a bit overpriced at $15 bottle. That said, Zulu is quite hard to find now that it is sold out at Sephora and no longer on NARS's website. Your best bet for finding this baby is swapping or paying ridiculous amounts on Ebay. Still, it's a beauty and definitely worth snatching up if you can find it!