September 30, 2014 | 1809 users online

Eye Primer - Bare Escentuals - bareVitamins Prime Time Eyelid Primer

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by miwamoto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't wear eyeshadow and my primary purpose for buying this was to stop my eyeliner (currently alternating between the Bobbi Brown Ink Liner and the Clio Waterproof Pen Liner) from giving me panda eyes. I have rather oily eyelids and without primer, both liners end up under my eyes (3h for the Clio, 5 - 6 h for the Bobbi Brown).

I was surprised at how tiny the tube was. I thought I would be getting more, but figured I would only use a tiny amount. And indeed, one small dot and I was able to cover both eyelids up to the crease. I applied it with my fingers and used an eyeliner brush to work any excess closer to the lash line where I apply my eyeliner. If I were to apply this all the way up to the brow bone, I'd probably need more. I didn't see any crepey-ness at all. It dries quickly to a smooth, matte, transparent finish. Applying eyeliner over it was a breeze. No tugging, and it didn't affect the opacity of either eyeliner.

However, it didn't live up to the hype. I saw faint smudging / panda eyes by 5 - 6 hours. In other words, no better than if I used no primer at all. Then at around 8 hours, the nightmare began. My eyes started to itch. I made the mistake of rubbing my left eye and the primer came off, some of it into my eye. Cue full-blown itchy, watery, red, irritated eyes. Even after rinsing my eye out with saline, I was still pulling primer flakes from my eye an hour later. I read that barium sulfate, one of the main ingredients in this primer, can cause irritation due to its alkalinity.

I returned it. If you have sensitive eyes at all, or wear contacts, I'd steer clear of this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by VegetaFanGirl

Really great primer! I love it!
I received a sample of Prime Time in a bareMinerals value set, and I was pretty impressed with its performance. This primer is very light-colored and sheer, and goes on feeling a bit oily at first. However, once it dries, it sets to a really nice and solid (well, not literally, but you get the point, hehe) layer. But you really do have to let it fully set before it's ready to use, because it tends to crease right after you put it on. It helps to even out the tone of my eyelids and reduce the slight discolorations that I have, which was good- and it's still very sheer!
As for its priming part, I think it did a great job. It wasn't perfect, obviously; in the inner and outer corners of my eye, where my eyes tend to water, the primer didn't really keep my eyeliner in place. However, for everywhere else, I think that it kept my makeup from creasing, no matter what type I put on! It prevented everything from fading and falling off, as well, even in water. Prime Time didn't irritate my eyes, and helped everything stay on for a good 18 hours each day.
The biggest problem is the smell; it does have a strong, artificial scent, but that's not a huge problem. Also, I don't think that with this product, a little goes a long way. However, that doesn't really detract from its performance! Prime Time is not as expensive as some other primers; $18 for a tube. The packaging is a nice squeeze tube, which works well. Overall, I highly recommend this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Law1747

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I can't get enough of this product!! I've used it in original, eye brightening and a few different colors, and I just love them ALL. I have super oily lids and this products works amazingly well. My eye makeup doesn't move for hours, and I'm talking 12-14 hours! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2013 9:53:00 AM More reviews by msteele

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have used many eyelid primers over the years and this is my favorite. You can wear it alone, as it leaves a nice sheen on your eyes, or you can pick your choice of eye shadow. The eye shadow stays in place AND goes on evenly. I found in other primers, some parts of my eyelid would catch more of the eye shadow than other parts leaving me with uneven application. I don't care for the small tube packaging. You only need a very tiny bit, and the packaging doesn't allow for controlled amounts. The only other con is blending your eye shadow, say for a smokey eye look, is more challenging. You have to be careful and really work the pigment in.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by JudiWickham

I loved this at first. It really holds eyeshadow in place longer than any other I have tried (Urband decay, Trish Mc, chanel, Laura Mercier etc.). I found after using it for a week or so though, my lids started drying out and looking crepey! Would probably use for a special occasion, but way to drying for regular use. Also a very small tube for $18..

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by bonnyanne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this product. I have it in the 3ml squeeze tube and it's called bareMinerals Prime Time Brightening Pearl Eyelid Primer. So it has a very white pearlescent sheen to it, but it looks nice and does give a good shimmer to the lid to wear alone, or under your choice of eyeshadow.

The only thing I don't like is that the opening hole is a bit too big. I think too much product comes out at once and I've got to be very gentle so I don't squeeze too much out. Also, if you make a mistake and accidentally tap a little onto the wrong area, it doesn't come off easily, which I found out the hard way!

Overall though I like this primer and would get it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by starzi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Ok, first i must say, almost lost it the other day and eventually found it in my bin under the table! The tube is way too small and will get lost easily. Gets frustrating as it is not cheap! It was something like 16 for 3ml!? But, must say its a good primer for the lids. Preps my eyelids well, makes them feel like silk! Can start applying immediately after putting the primer on. And does what it says! I used bare minerals eyeshadows on top and they actually stay on the whole night! Great product, but not a fan of the price and size. Hopefully it will last a while since the amouny you need each time is tiny!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 8:07:00 PM More reviews by jennylovesjohnny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this product in the squeeze tube. Might I say, it is hands down my HG eye primer. It delivers what it promises. It keeps eyeshadows in place for days on end if you don't wash them off! This is the primer I wear for a big night out and my eye makeup looks exactly the same in the morning. It is easy to apply and has no colour, therefore not affecting the colour of your shadow. It does not affect the application of the shadow either. If only it was cheaper.. for the size you get, the price is quite steep.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by suchaclassylady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a hot, ashey mess! I had a hideous white caste all around my eyes. I looked like a racoon picture negative. This made my eyes look 25 years older and the primer would not come off without eye makeup remover. Not for darker skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by ohtigerlily

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

my first experience with an eyelid primer and it rocks!
i don't put on a lot of eye makeup (just an eyeliner for me, thank you) and i was surprised by how smoothly it glided on. plus it STAYED. for hours!! with no smudges.

i would buy this again if i have a little extra money with me, but it's not an essential since i do not have oily eyelids or whatever.