October 21, 2014 | 860 users online

Styling Products - GHD - Thermal Protector For Normal-To-Fine Hair [DISCONTINUED]

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2011 10:16:00 AM More reviews by LookingGood85

This product was abismal!!! it made my hair sticky and it felt like my GHDs were being dragged through my hair!!! my hair felt stiff afterwards and not glossy or healthy! id give this a big fat 0 if i could!!! the nozzle for the spray may be a huge part of the issue, it just doesnt spray out fine enough!!!! Dont buy this!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2011 2:11:00 AM More reviews by Sweety85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I got this product free with my GHD straightener and i have only used it couple of times, those times being when i didn't have anything else on hand. I didnt't like it at all, but it seemed like it did protect my hair from heat, only by a litlle bit, not a great deal. I think Biolage heat protection line was a way beter. Also this product made my hair feel sticky and tangled. Even when not applying too much of it on my hair, it fellt like i had heaps of product on my hair and it was just too heavy. My hair is long, layered and wavy with a decent amount of volume that was just stripped off when i applied this product, My hair looked thin and tangled. It might work beter on different people, and some people might find it to be good but it didn't work for me. Maybe that's why they give it out for free with their hair straighteners. But at the moment i am trying to lay off any heat tools as there is no product that will guard 100 % against heat damage, and i think its much more important to have a healthy hair than to have a straightened hair, if your hair is wavy like mine.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by Preeti88

I got this free with my GHD mk4 styler in January 2008...Loved the straightener not a fan of this product! It made my hair feel dry and coarse, normally my hair is soft and shiny despite being relatively fine. I would much rather stick to my usual Tresemme Heat Defence Spray, it costs considerably less and lasts for a long time. This product was a major let down, I was excited to use this as I thought it would be perfect for my fine hair but it left my hair crunchy and horrible!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by NYC22

I normally use the GHD thermal protectant for "dry, coarse hair" (see my other review) but Sephora recently stopped selling all GHD products online and in stores except for this one, so I gave it a whirl. I've used it several times and I can say that it performs almost as well as the protectant for dry, coarse hair. That makes sense since the customer service rep told me that all GHD heat protectants contain "the same basic formula": the normal to fine is the basic formula; the dry, coarse bottle contains more moisturizing properties; and the weak, damaged bottle contains more protein. I like the normal to fine version well enough because it allows my GHD flat iron to glide through my hair while providing some hold and shine. I'm also assuming this protects my hair from heat, although I do have my doubts about how well any heat protectant can shield hair from heat styling over 400 degrees; I should note that I've been flat ironing my hair for nearly a year and I have never experienced any extra dryness or brittleness, so maybe the heat protectants truly do their job.

Anyhow, I do prefer the formulation of the dry, coarse bottle. For one, I think it provides more hold which is essential for any hair style in general, but particularly for those of us with naturally curly hair wishing to keep it straight - and particularly when we want to have our style last for days - and particularly when we live in a humid climate, etc. etc. etc. I also prefer the other version because it sprays on as a "dry-er" mist which is more manageable because I don't have to wait for the mist to dry on my hair which eats up precious time. Also, because it sprays on dry-er, I have an easier time telling which strands are coated and which are not. I also prefer the dry, coarse formula because the spray-stream is more even and therefore disperses across my hair better. Finally, I prefer the scent of the dry, coarse bottle - it smells more like a high-end salon fragrance whereas the normal to fine formula smells more like a fruity/floral body spray.

The bottom line for me is that I adore the dry, coarse formula but I think the normal to fine is a fair substitute. GHD products are hard to find so I recommend the following tips: go to the GHD USA website and plug in your zip code to find authorized salon retailers, buy directly from the GHD website, buy from other online retailers (such as folica.com, etc.) or simply shop at Trade Secrets or Planet Beauty locations if you are lucky enough to have one by you (I am not).

One last thing I want to re-iterate is that I am disappointed with Sephora for their decision not to carry many of GHD's products. I understand that shelf space is limited in the stores, but it is plentiful online and therefore I wish Sephora would continue to offer more choices online. (Why they sell Quidad and Kat von D garbage and no longer GHD is beyond my comprehension.) It is frustrating to have companies stop offering products that we as consumers have come to rely on. We vote with our dollars and I recommend to anyone experiencing frustration about diminished selections or discontinued products to at the least contact the company or companies involved.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2010 1:40:00 PM More reviews by hairdessert

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a super protector. IMy thought that this MUST be good since the brand is specialists on heat styling. And i was right!
I have fine hair so im worried it will weight down my hair or make it static.
But this is just perfect. This s a spray. It protects from the heat, make it shiny and never static, and also, protects form the sun.
Hair products like this can make your hair static, but this doesnt, it gives hair perfect amount of moisture withought the wight and the hair becomes just perfect!

(the best is that it comes in different hair types, fine, course, damage)

the only thing i can complain on is that it comes in a PUMP spray, which can be a risk and can be hard to "make it spread even on the hair, so therefor a 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by vgarcia2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried all 3 thermal protectors and they all work amazing! first of all, a little goes along way, so do not get a heavy hand and start spraying everywhere! It does not weigh down my fine hair and this stuff is amazing!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2010 12:50:00 PM More reviews by mdlvsmakeup

I have had this since owning my GHD flat iron for over a year and grab it once in awhile just to see if i changed my mind. This seems to make my hair sticky and dirty feeling and the packaging just gets so messy it sprays out all over the place. I would think a copny that made such an awesome straigtener would perfect this .

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2009 6:57:00 PM More reviews by kieustar

It's a bit to expensive when there are cheaper alternatives.

It does protect hair as I have really thin hair and after using the product my hair didn't dry up.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/14/2009 1:59:00 AM More reviews by jessieve680

Love the GHD. This product did nothing for my hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2009 5:57:00 PM More reviews by nclaasen

I tried the version for thick, coarse hair and found it really didn't make much difference. I don't think my hair looked or felt any different using this product so have switched to another thermal protector (tresemme).
Also, it's not easy to get the spray evenly through your hair as the spray is quite direct, not a fine mist spray.