April 18, 2014 | 874 users online

Palettes - Laura Mercier - Exclusive Trendless Eye Portfolio

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2007 9:47:00 PM More reviews by AJC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A brown leather case holds:
4 Eye Colors in Vanilla Nuts (matte), American Coffee (matte), Coffee Ground (pearly) and Bamboo Dark(matte).
1 Black Ebony Eye Liner (powder not cream).
1 Brown Copper Kohl Eye Pencil (slightly metallic, soft enough for easy application but stays put).
1 Black Thickening & Building Mascara (haven't tested yet).

A Double-Ended All Over Eye Color (huge for the area, but pleasant in application) & Eye Crease Brush, Double-Ended Flat Eye Liner & Pointed Eye Liner Brush (v. precise application) and a Double-Ended Smudge & Corner Eye Color Brush are also included.

It's a Neiman Marcus exclusive for their 100th anniversary. It looks chic in this leather zippered case. The mirror on the inside lid could definitely be much bigger but instead there is only a quite narrow elongated mirror -- good for eye makeup but for the price I wouldn't mind being able to see the rest of my face at the same time.

I assume that steep price includes not just the leather casing but also the brush set. I must admit that the brushes are fine quality and do their job well. I also like that each end of the brush is labeled to identify what the brush is supposed to do -- which can be useful. At first I was surprised to see the size of the All Over Eye Color brush -- it's quite big, but that really helps in all over (!) eye color application -- usuallly I used much smaller brushes for that, but with this one it's only one swipe and I'm done.

The shadows. I really like the 3 matte eye colors -- I've been looking for a while for a nice set of brown matte colors for a natural look and these are perfect. The lightest Vanilla Nuts is perfect for the corner of the eye and as an all-over base on the lids. American Coffe, warm medium-roast coffee color I must add, looks great when applied close to eyelashes and Bamboo Dark is rich and dark -- perfect for that sultry smokey eye effect. Coffee Ground is the only pearly color in the palette and I see it as an odd ball here. Yes, it's pretty and maybe it was added for versatility, but I don't think the pearliness of this shade works well with the other matte shades. But I'll probably use it on it's own as it's still pretty -- just doesn't seem to fit into this story IMHO. The black eyeliner(which due to being a powder could double as an eyeshadow easily) is charcoal grey when applied dry and ebony black when applied wet -- it stays put all day and is easy to apply with the included brush.

I haven't really tried the mascara yet, as I'm still using my YSL -- will update my review when I do try it.

I like the fact that the eye colors come in these cute little jars and I like the leather casing and I like the double ended brushes (for the $$ you're actually buying a brush set too, and this one doesn't disappoint -- good quality and portability). It's a splurge but I feel like a painter when playing with this palette (ahh the jars the brushes the palette -- you get the picture) ;-))

I give it 4 lippies because of the price tag and small mirror. I put down that I wouldn't buy it again, but only because it'll last long and one really gets one of such LE items like this one. But the quality is great -- shadows stay put all day and brushes are great too.

I've added a picture that you can find in my profile.