AcneFree 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide Cleanser

Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (w/v) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Bakuchiol, Panthenyl Triacetate, Bisabolol, Benzalkonium Chloride, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Naringenin, Sea Whip Extract, Xanthan Gum, Cetyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sodium Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Farnesol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Methylisothiazolinone.

on 1/27/2015 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

for reference, I have combo skin w/an oily t-zone and normal cheeks, also slightly prone to breakouts.

This is the generic version of proactiv's benzoyl peroxide cleanser that is a lot less expensive. I wasn't the biggest fan of proactiv and I felt the overall system was very harsh/drying but I did like the cleanser and used to buy that separately until I found this. Now there are differences- there's less of the exfoliating beads and the smell/taste is horrible and the consistency is more "slimy" but lathers slightly better than proactiv; but on the whole for $6 it does it's job. I tried a bp cleanser with 4% bp and that make my skin severely dry and flakey so I stick with 2.5% which is enough for it to be effective without being unnecessarily harsh. I also use this only at night with my clarisonic because using this twice a day would be very drying. I also stand the bottle upside down on my sink counter so I don't have to spend time squeezing the product.

I recommend this for people who have mild to moderate acne and don't want a cleanser that will dry them out but want a bp cleanser as more of an acne preventative measure- I think if you have REALLY bad acne or a lot of active breakouts this might not be enough.

on 12/29/2014 10:27:00 PM

No no no :-(
I was getting a little better from my break out. But the product I was using was a little on the pricey side so I decided to give this a try because it was so cheap! It made me break out so badddd :-(((( My acne was worse that before I started. But I thought maybe its because I just have to stick it through for a couple months to really see effects. NOPE. Break out pimples and now scars. You can try it if you want, I mean it's only like 5 dollars.. But for me.. nope. Never again. My sister tried it. Nope. Never again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Using this had almost NO effect on my acne or scarring. It was almost as if I have been using nothing to cleanse my face for the past month or so. It didn't really treat active blemishes nor did it prevent new ones from forming. This does bleach fabric, so be weary of that. I think it'd be a good idea to get those Kleenex disposable hand towels to dry your face after using this. That way you won't bleach your towels and you won't contaminate your freshly cleaned face with bacteria. The packaging is cute; you push down on the lid and a hole pops up that you can squeeze the product through. I found that it was difficult to squeeze the product out after a while, so I stored the container upside down so the liquid will come out more freely and with little pressure. However, in doing this there was occasional, minimal leakage from the packaging. I've traveled with this in my bag and it didn't leak out while on the go. I got it at walmart for just over five dollars, which seems quite affordable for the amount of product you get.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I actually saw some results with this one unlike the proactive set!!! :'D

My disgusting volcanic zits are finally gone <3

on 4/29/2014 2:55:00 AM

On my second or third bottle
Usually I never see results right away with acne products. Pimples that would take a week to go away with salicylic acid cleared up much quicker with this cleanser. It stops my blemishes from getting bigger. I used this one night on a big pimple and it flattened most of it out by the next morning (never experienced that with any other product) I don't even have to let my pimple to come to a head to pop because it's almost gone in a few days

Still looking for a great moisturizer that won't break me out. Any suggestions?

on 2/19/2014 10:46:00 AM

Got this product last night on a whim, I'm a BA at walgreens so I tend to see stuff all day long and think 'i need this!'. After looking up reviews on mua, I decided to give it a go. I got this on sale for $13.05 ($20.00 reg). I have used it ONE night and seriously over night it has cleared up my break out!! As of now I'm in love with this.

Step one is a grainy cleanser, doesn't sting or hurt. You use a dime sized amount, massage, and rinse. Step two is a toner, just put some on a cotton ball and apply to your trouble spots. Step three is a lotion/moisturizer, you apply and leave on.

None of this has hurt/burned/irritated my skin, and as someone allergic to salycilic acids i've found it very hard to find an effective regimen. This seems to be perfect, I'll update after two weeks of use.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Wow this cleanser is amazing! If you struggle with acne and find that salicylic acid products don't work for you, then I would say give this a try. I tend to get hormonal acne on my chin and this stuff keeps it at bay. It is gentle enough to use day and night and has little micro scrubbers. This cleanser is a staple in my skincare routine. I can't get enough of it! Plus it's very affordable and lasts forever.

on 12/29/2013 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This has been a miracle cleanser for me over the past two years. I have consistently been using this every night to take off my makeup and fight acne. My face does not dry out from the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (and I have very sensitive skin) and my breakouts have decreased significantly.

on 11/23/2013 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This product was an amazing experience. At first. The 2 or 3 weeks of using this my skin was FLAWLESS. Before using it I had Minor acne on my forehead and blackheads like crazy on my nose and it was gone within days. I used it religiously and thought it was a gift from god. Then after about a month I guess my skin got used to it because the acne came back. I still use it occasionally to clear small break outs and it never fails it's just no longer my everyday wash.

on 10/24/2013 5:13:00 PM

I am another one of those reviewers on MUA that has struggled with acne for years (over 2 decades actually). I've seen a dermatologist for years, and most of their pills and potions helped very little or made matters worse. I've stuck with the BC pills, and worked out the rest of my regimen on my own, and this is a part of it. I use this cleanser, and rotate with Phisoderm's acne fighting gel cleanser, as well as a few different scrubs. I even started my 13 year old step-son on this cleanser. It has just a mild exfoliating effect and the BP levels are just right not to overdry. It has no fragrance (which I love a light fragrance, but not at the risk of breaking out). I wet my face, gently massage it in with fingertips only, and then splash rinse, OR I use with my motorized Olay cleansing brush. It keeps acne at bay better than just about anything, I think, because it has the right amount of clinical/effective ingredients and NONE of the stuff that clogs pores (like waxes, heavy oils, fragrances, etc). Definitely check out what you are using & make a comparison; so many of those "teen"-like acne products don't even have any active ingredients in them! And others are products in heavy "cream" bases made of pore-clogging waxes and oils. The price on this is right, very affordable and you get a large quantity. Most highly recommend.