Sally Hansen Cream Hair Bleach

4.3

Creme Bleach: water,stearyl alcohol,hydrogen peroxide,paraffinum liquidum/mineral oil,laneth-16,ceteth-16,steareth-16,oleth-16,cetyl alcohol,lanolin alcohol,fragrance,phosphoric acid,propylene glycol, aloe barbadensis leaf extract,BHT,tocopherol,imidazolidinyl urea,methylparaben,propylparaben,citric acid Activator: ammonium bicarbonate, zeolite, silica, zea mays corn starch, sodium bicarbonate

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is probably one of the longest MUA reviews I've done! I have lots to say about this awesome product.

I've used this product enough times to give it a fair review. I use this on my upper lip, and sometimes to lighten my eyebrows. One thing I've learned is that you don't want to measure out too much of the product or it will burn! The first few times I used this product (exactly according to the instructions) I noticed sensitivity, redness and burning. However, your skin becomes used to it and your tolerance builds over time. As I said, do be very careful with how much you use or it will burn even if you're used to it. Also, using too little of the product will not be effective at lightening the hair and you'll have to reapply. I usually leave it on for 8 minutes and it works out really well. I'm pretty good at measuring it now without fussing too much over it now.

The product does run out pretty quickly especially if you use according to the instructions. You really don't need as much as it says if you're only doing your upper lip. Save yourself some money and use about half of what it recommends, just make sure to get your ratios correct. Anyway, I usually wash it off with cold water and then I wash my whole face with Cetaphil to make sure all traces of the chemical come off my face. I don't usually moisturize right away after applying. I just let my skin sit and let the redness fade. Your skin will be a little red after you wipe it off. I try to do this at night before bed. I have black hair, so this lasts me about a week and a half.

I really like this product and for the price, it's a good way to lighten your unwanted hair. I usually do this between the times I use my depilatory cream. I usually let my hair grow reasonably long before using the depilatory cream. During the time between I use this cream because having mustache hair on a woman is not cute. Just sayin'

The only complaint I have is that the powder bleach sometimes balls up and you have to break it down. I think that's probably the humidity where I live. I highly recommend this product and I'd purchase again. I use this and the Jolen brand. I just interchange them, whichever is on sale.

P.S. for lightening your eyebrows- BE CAREFUL and only use a small amount!!!!!

on 8/2/2015 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

*This review is for the Extra Strength bleach.

The scent of this bleach is quite chemical and unpleasant, but this is the only at-home solution for my dark upper lip hair that hasn't caused my skin any irritation. I leave it on for 12 minutes, longer than the recommended eight. However, despite the minor burning sensation, I don't find that leaving it on longer leaves any lasting redness or marks. I simply wash it off with cold water and the results look great the next day. The only con is that the results don't last as long as professional waxing does, but the process is so quick and easy that I don't really mind having to do it weekly. I highly recommend this for people who hate the pain of waxing or haven't had luck with at-home hair removal products.

on 5/28/2015 2:16:00 AM

Ok...this is an embarrassment But I have to have this product. I find the conditioner that comes with the kit is just a waste of money and product. I would like to see bigger tubes Of bleach and activator and skip the conditioner.
Its like I have to do this every 2 days. It drives me crazy.
When sallys all you have then u gotta use it. Would love better options.

I am using this product as the type this review!I don't know how many times I've repurchased this, but I always come back to it. I am Caucasian, but I have dark hair, naturally thick brows, and stubborn facial hair. I need something that I can easily use to lighten my unwanted hair, but doesn't require a visit to a salon or touch-ups every week or so. This stuff has been the answer to my prayers. It comes in two phases- one cream bleach, and one powder activator. Mixing it together is tricky; using too much activator can burn the skin, but using too little will make the mixture ineffective. A proper 2/1 ratio of cream to activator does the trick. I use it above my upper lip, and in just minutes, the hair is practically invisible. There is a slight, tingling sensation(which I like), and a sweet, almond scent. First applications may cause irritation, but don't worry!Just use the product in batches a few days apart until you get the desired effect. Overall, this an excellent product, although the formula has changed a little over the years. (It used to be a bit better.) I've tried competing products like Jolen, but none have compared to this. I do recommend the original strength over the extra strength one, as it seems to be more effective. The only problem I have this is the packaging. I wish the cream came in a squeeze tube, and the activator in something that sealed more tightly. (The jars they come in now seem to not only waste product, but also to spoil it more quickly.)

on 10/1/2014 10:27:00 AM

I've been bleaching my upper lip for years with this. 10 minutes and I'm done. Sensitive skin and no acne or major red skin caused. Love this product so much. My other peach fuzz is light. This makes above my lip fuzz match that. Yay!

on 8/14/2014 11:12:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been buying this product non-stop since I was 13 and I'm now 35. Can't live without it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for Jolen bleach and the store I was at was out of it. I thought I'd give this Sally Hansen bleach a try.

I'm white with dark brunette hair. I use this on my upper lip and on my jaw line. The jaw line hair is PCOS related and fairly coarse.

This does not work well for me at all. The preparation and application is the same as the Jolen, it just does not lighten hair as well. It might be okay for finer hair or hair that is lighter than mine, but a 10 minute application did zilch.

Pros: Less stinky than Jolen and also less irritating to my skin.

Cons: Not very effective for its intended job.

this bleach didnt work well on my arms. but helped a lot on my face it lightened my super dark hair. and my sensitive skin wasnt irritated. love it !

on 4/12/2014 11:59:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I lighten my eyebrows from med/dark brown to dark blonde and have been using Jolen bleach.
I thought I'de give this a try and I found that while the application is identical, (be sure to measure or you can burn your skin) I do have to leave SH on my brows longer, though I didn't have any redness or stinging. I'll most likely go back to the Jolen for the time issue.

on 4/9/2014 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I am half white and half Guatemalan (Hispanic) and this product is a LIFE-SAVER. I swear, swear, swear bye it. I have very fair, yellow-toned skin with medium-dark brown hair. I've always had some peach fuzz, maybe more than the average girl, but since my hair is naturally dark, it shows up a trillion times worse on my upper lip. (I never was that hairy anywhere else, I didn't even have a unibrow.) Well, in middle school, my twin sister and I always got made fun of for having mustaches. Honestly, they made fun of her worse, but I still think mine was worse. Well this product bleaches great. We got out first box in 6 or 7th grade to share and since then its been wonderful. I've gone through about 10 or 11 boxes, and his product lasts a very long time. I can get about 6 uses out of a package, sharing with my sister every time. The results last strong for about 3 weeks, and begin to fade. I leave on for about 10-15 minutes. I almost always get white bumps on my upper lip after using, but they go away very fast (like 10 minutes at most). It will sting a little, but keep it on and it'll be worth it. I would definitely recommend buying. Totally worth it. And now it comes with pre-conditioner. I loveee.

Popular Treatments (Face)