September 21, 2014 | 2063 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Mason Pearson - Junior Mixed Bristle Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've had this brush for nearly five years. When I first purchased it, I immediately noticed the difference between using this and all the other brushes I'd owned. I have extremely tangly hair that tends to look messy and unbrushed just a couple of hours after I've brushed it, but this brush glides through my hair and leaves it look much neater for longer. With past hairbrushes, I often had to rip through tangles, and I think that having this brush has probably contributed to the health of my hair since I've never once had to do that. I purchased the brush in the Junior size instead of the Popular sized because it was cheaper, but I've never found myself wishing I bought the larger size. I have long and thick hair, but the Junior size is just fine for me.
One downside with this brush is that the gold lettering on the handle began to rub off within the first year I had it. While this is only a cosmetic problem and doesn't affect how well the brush works, it annoys me. It seems after all the years of selling this brush, and for how much you pay, Mason Pearson would have figured out how to make the lettering last. It looks quite sloppy to have the lettering partially rubbed off, and I would love it if I could figure some way to restore it.
Cleaning: the brush comes with a special cleaning brush and instructions on how to use it. Initially I didn't see the point in cleaning the brush until the first time I actually properly cleaned it, but trust me: you'll notice the brush simply works much better following a good clean. I use baby shampoo and lukewarm water every six months, and you can find the instructions in the pamphlet online, or google if you lose it.
Would I purchase this hairbrush again? No, I would not. In a review for the Mason Pearson "Popular" mixed bristle brush, MewsinProgress explains that other, less expensive brushes work just as well. Basically what you want to look for is a "porcupine" brush - that is the name for the mix of boar and nylon bristles. It makes sense that of all the brushes manufactured on the planet, there have to be ones just as good as Mason Pearson that aren't anywhere near as expensive. I bought mine years ago and I'm very happy with it, but if I ever lose it, I'd like to replace it with something cheaper, which I wouldn't have to worry as much about losing or breaking etc.
That said, Mason Pearson's brush does work extremely well, so if money is no object for you, or you're looking to get an expensive gift, you could do much worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by zeaxkr

God they are expensive!!! But they are so worth it! And I mean it!
I felt so stupid about buying this brush at first, but it is worth every penny.
My hair feels so smooth and nice!
I never thought brush would make such a difference to a hair.
I have extremely damaged hair because of frequent digital perm.
They feel super silky and soft after only 3 day of use.
I brush when I get up, before shower and after shower when my hairs all dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by msmaura

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My HG hairbrush - though it's an unbelievable amount to spend, the brush smooths out my unruly curly hair, giving me the same glossy straightness as when I spent an hour blowdrying! Comes in a cute retro package and the mini cleaning brush included is very handy!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by jifuniversal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought mine on eBay as it's way more expensive in Norway. I've used it for about a week now and I am still stoked! Haha. I absolutely love it.

I have shoulder length hair and I'm going for Rapunzel-length hair, so I had to invest in the best products out there. After years of colouring and bleaching, I had enough of it when I had to cut 70% of it off due to severe damage :( Now, a year and some months later, my hair is healthy and without a drop of colouring in it.

I had read so much about these brushes and was super excited to get one for myself. I decided on this one as I don't have the need for the biggest brush (yet!), and I wanted a mix because the nylon bristles massages the scalp, which supposedly is going to make my hair grow a bit faster.

I love how soft my hair gets when I brush with it. If you find the right technique, it will also give you volume. My hair just looks overall even healthier after using this.

It is expensive, yes, but I find it worth every penny. I'd even repurchase if I lost it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2012 11:59:00 PM More reviews by retrotrash82

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have very thick, coarse, wavy hair that is often hard to manage- it is frizzy, it does not like being restrained, and it is dry at the ends. I have yearned for this brush for eleven years... ELEVEN. I have never had the money to drop on this thing, so I always admired it from afar. However, my lovely boyfriend gifted this to me for Valentine's Day, and ohmuhgawd, I about died when I received it. I had wondered at first if it would really live up to the hype, but I have to say that it really, truly does. After using it for about a week, I have noticed that my hair is significantly easier to manage, has more shine, and the ends are less tangled. It is also very soft, and holds whatever style I put in it more easily. I honestly did not think that a brush would make that much difference in my hair, but it has really helped my hair- the bit about the distribution of oils seems accurate. The overall quality of the brush is great; it is well constructed, and the materials are of good quality. Furthermore, I feel that the fact that the brush comes with quite clear instructions for use and cleaning, as well as the cleaning brush is great. It makes me feel more confident that the product will last, and that the company stands behind the product. I don't think I'll need to buy another one of these brushes in my lifetime, but if I did, it would be well worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2011 1:59:00 PM More reviews by violetpinkie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have very dry hair from coloring. My hair is fine yet I have a ton of it. I bought this through the North American distributor and was very pleased with its performance.
My hair salon sales them and recommended the Junior Mixed Bristle for my hair type. When I use it, it does not make my hair look like a frizzball. Instead, it makes it look shiny and well groomed. I have noticed it is more shiny so I believe that it really distributes your own natural oils down the hair shaft as it states. I have wanted to buy one for several years and decided to when I read the great reviews. My mother used an MP brush on me as a child, but she cannot find whatever happened to it. I bought her one and myself one. You definitely want to maintain the brush by using the cleaning brush included with it. It can be used to clean the hairs that get woven into the brush after each use. Also, cleaning it with the cleaning brush dipped in soapy water to clean the rubber pad from grease or hair products. Use the cleaning brush dipped in rinsing water to rinse the soapy water from the brush. Do not ever submerge the brush in water thought! The cleaning instructions come with it. I really think this is a purchase that will not be regretted! Enjoy!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 2:43:00 PM More reviews by GoldenKatie

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the greatest purse brush I know. It is gentle yet effective. Works great on my long, thick hair. DEFINITELY a must have item.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2008 2:53:00 PM More reviews by Lizzy7121

This brush works great on hair that is fine as well as thick like mine because it distributes the oils in the scalp and does not leave the scalp greasy from brushing too much.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2008 8:36:00 PM More reviews by meepo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OK, this brush is awesome. At first I was so surprised at myself that I would spend so much money on a hairbrush.. and even shortly after getting it, I questioned whether it was worth the money. However, the longer I use it, the more I'm realizing that I don't want to be without it. This brush has been a significant part of my active process in trying to keep my hair as healthy as possible. It feels good knowing that it stimulates my scalp, takes out dirt/dust/etc., distributes my natural oils through all of my hair, and gently but effectively detangles it. I don't think it's completely my imagination in feeling that since using this brush, my hair and scalp are generally healthier, and that my hair looks, feels, and even smells better.

The only thing is that I have extremely thick, coarse hair, and this brush doesn't always penetrate all of it at once. But if I brush thoroughly in sections, it's not much of a problem. Perhaps I should have bought the 'popular' size?

Using the included cleaning brush to 'dry clean' it frequently will get rid of most dust/lint that gets trapped in the brush. Also, using the 'wet cleaning' method occasionally to completely clean out oils/dirt/etc. will leave it looking like new.

This brush is also easy to work with, creating volume where I want it and giving an overall polished look to my hair. I love it and I would totally repurchase if anything happened to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2007 1:49:00 PM More reviews by effi33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LLLOVE this brush! It's totally fabulous! I wanted it cause I read in one of the magazines that Jessica Simpson's hairstylist recommended it. It is super expensive, but I did end up getting one as a gift. My hair is long, soft and with a lot of flyaways, and this does a beautiful job smoothing my hair down and keeping it silky and shiny. I am pretty convinced it even makes my hair grow faster! :-) I don't think I would ever be able to use another brush after this one. My mom loved it too so I got one for her as a gift; she has long straight thick hair and absolutely adores it as well. This brush ends up being a frequent topic our of conversation cause we just love it so much lol. This is the kinda thing that is better to give and get as a present, to have a clear conscience about the sky-high price!