October 31, 2014 | 1460 users online

Cleansers - Nivea - Refreshing Gel Cleanser

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Cherrybello

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

I have so far gone through 2 tubes of this. I was out of Laneige Multi cleanser, and was out looking for a replacement, and my bf bought this. One day I thought I'll try it with my Clarisonic because it is just a clear blue gel without any exfoliating bits in it. I fell in love at the first try, it cleanses very well with my Clarisonic, and works just as well on its own, I ended up finishing the first tube by myself. It's not drying, it doesn't break me out, and it smells alright. Works for me! I'll be back for another if I don't find a better face wash!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 4:24:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

As far as I remember, I used this when I was about 14, and this actually didn't do anything bad to my sensitive skin. I remember that I used it as a super fast alternative for cleansing + moisturizing when I was a teenager. I woke up, showered, used this, put on mascara and done! So I bought this again and... I don't like it - and I seem to have totally forgotten how this gel was in the 6 years I wasn't using it. I guessed this was one of those things you put on a pad and cleanse your face with. When I tried that, it DID foam up a little, which made me feel like this was something I needed to wash off - checked the ingredient list - SLS as 3rd ingredient - definitely needs to be washed off. When I tried to wash this off, it felt slimy and weird. I thought it might work to remove makeup, but it really didn't do anything to the makeup I wear now... this product is just so... weird - I don't know how I figured it out as a teenager. I love the smell a lot though! Perfect for a teen that doesn't wear makeup - the smell might motivate to wash the face ;)

So, I remember liking it before, so it's, obviously, possible to like it - it's not a hopeless product. Still, I can find any use for it now - washing my face in the morning, when I have no heavy products on. It doesn't last as long as my other cleansers, which is why I only give it a 3, but otherwise an OK basic cleanser that doesn't dry the skin out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 12:48:00 PM More reviews by arcss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This works very well and leaves skin soft and clean, but lately i've been trying to find a paraben free substitute, if i don't find one that works this good i'll keep buying it. I use high end brands but nothing beats this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 7:13:00 AM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Heads up: this reivew is completely irrational. This isn't a 'bad' product; it doesn't make me break out, catch fire or explode, but I simply hate it. For no real good reason. Is mediocrity a reason? I'll hate it for its mediocrity.

Product is a blue gel in a squeeze tube. Generous amout for the price and the consistency is good - no cutting the tube open. Clear tube also means I know how much is left. You get a lippie for that. But the tube leaks. Only the littlest bit, so small that you think you are imagining it but then 3 days later all your other wonderful face stuff is covered in a slimy blue, slightly foamy, film.

It is my AM cleanser, so it doesn't have too much of a job to do, no heavy sunscreen to lift, and it does seem to clean things up. The gel itself doesn't have a strong smell and does it's job quietly, so another lippie. But the gel is slimy; I know, it's gel, but it's a weird feeling. It doesn't really foam up on my face, just sort of bubbles and slimes around. Even after I've rinsed off, I feel the irrational need to scrub my face with a washcloth to get rid of the soapy slimyness.

As mentioned, I didn't break out or burn and I do have acne prone, somewhat sensitive skin. So there's your third lippie.

Now, I am a prudent sort - I hate throwing stuff out. But after two weeks, I was fantasizing about Neutrogena, even Clarins. I was finding excuses not to use it; I suddenly 'found' an old pack of cleansing wipes and decided to use them up, just to avoid this product. Irrational right? But MUA is about real, not rational.

So, I've put on my big girl pants, decided that life is too short, and am stopping with this. I'm going to use up those old face wipes and dance my way back to my Pink Grapefruit Face Scrub. But I've put it in the shower as body wash (Seriously girls, you know I can't just 'throw it out'!!).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by matchamoiselle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I bought this as a cheaper replacement for my Eucerin Refreshing Cleansing Gel after reading the numerous good reviews.

My skin is normal and not prone to break outs. However, after using this product, my face broke out in tiny spots all over my forehead. The worst pimple was between my eyebrows with a yellow head. The rest were just red little bumps that looked and felt like blisters. After switching to another cleanser, my pimples subsided within a day, as quickly as they appeared.

I noticed that my skin felt dryer after using this gel, and I think this made my sebum regulation go out of whack. I came to this conclusion because when I put my moisturiser over those spots in the morning, it made them look and disappear slightly over the whole day, nearly subsiding, until I washed my face at night. So dry skin must have caused the irritation and the spots to turn up. Perhaps, I could have been just mildly allergic to this product.

If you have dry skin, I think you may want to avoid this and try a less drying gel cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 8:06:00 PM More reviews by ScuffedShoes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My skin is super dry and acne prone and sensitive. That being said this gel cleanser was a HG for me I repurchased about 5-6 times and even though I am trying other cleansers now this is my go to as I know it won't break me out or cause any irritation.

However I really do not like how chemically this product is - I am trying some more natural alternatives but if you are looking for a gentle cleanser that will remove make up, quickly clear acne and not cause irritation on super dry skin this is for you. It is a really nice option to clear up your skin and keep it clear until you can try adding more natural products into the mix

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by ZaraJane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I suffer from sensitive, dry and eczema prone skin which sucks because it limits me to a lot of products. I'm like any other girl that loves to experiment, which can be pretty bad for me, especially when I desperately want to try out ALL the latest products/craze out there on the beauty market! After watching endless videos and reviews on YouTube, I can't help but get swayed and invest in numerous high end products but I always find myself going back to my basic drug store/high street brands, which I find work as good, if not better, than the expensive stuff.

Well, this is one product I always find myself going back to and will likely stick to from now on. Prior to this, I used Origins Checks and Balance, for a solid two years. When that suddenly stopped working for me, I started to use Body Shops, Vitamin E Gentle Facial Wash, which was a gift from my husband for a few weeks, which didn't agree with me at all. I then went back to using Origins which only slightly balanced my skin out, however I found it such a discomfort to use. Both face washes felt like they completely stripped my skin from it's natural oils and my cheeks were becoming unbearably sensitive, sore and irritated. When I noticed my local Superdrug (UK drug store) was selling the Nivea Refreshing Gel Cleanser a lot cheaper than usual, I didn't think twice, I just got it on a whim. When I used it that evening, it worked immediately. As soon as that refreshing gel touched my face it felt so calming and soothing unlike the previous two facial washes I used! It was such a good feeling. Within a few days, I saw a massive difference and so did my husband. My cheeks were no longer sore or red and other areas of my face weren't as sensitive. I don't know what it is, that is in this wash but it works super for my sensitive skin type. If anyone had to inspect my skin, they'd think I'd have great looking normal skin!

My skincare routine, which I was beginning to dislike, is now something I look forward to with this face wash. It's gentle enough for me to use on my Clarisonic (I only use this maybe 3 times a week)

What I love most about this is that it's reachable and works perfectly for my skin type. I don't have to go out of my way to drive to the nearest mall or large shopping centre, it's available at the supermarket or drug store. It's so cheap and affordable, the packaging is great and clear so you can see how much product remains.

Thanks Nivea! Because this worked so well for me, I picked myself up the 2 in 1 Cleanser and Toner a few days later, which is a great combination! I will review separately :D

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Liwka

I love Nivea. This cleanser however.....not the best. I use it in the morning, due to its "refreshing" nature but my skin looks dull after. It doesn't help nor hinder my acne problem. It dries out my skin as well too ; I bought it during the summer and my skin was fine but come winter when I bought it again, my skin was tight. I also find that my skin has a soapy after feel, no matter how much I rinse my face. I use the toner as well, and when I wipe my face, soap is still there!
The only pro however is that it lasts forever. In 2 years of using this everyday, I've been through 2 bottles. And I love the smell - if you know Nivea, it has that lovely Nivea scent to it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Camilla00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great value for money, lasts a long time, makes my skin feel refreshed and clean as well as doing a great job at removing tough make up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 4:12:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

A great cleanser for a bargain price - the texture (non foaming) of a cream cleanser but without the grease. Removes makeup and thoroughly cleanses and leaves skin super soft - gentle round the eyes as it is non foaming. Lovely fresh smell. Nivea products are always high quality. Love the packaging as it stands up on its end you can use every last drop