April 20, 2014 | 2052 users online

Hair Color - Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this stuff so much! I use the #3 platinum and I first used it on my mom with fantastic results! It neutralized all her brass and it allowed me to dye her hair a light ash brown. Now to me I used One N Only dye in Natural light blonde instead of ash because I was thinking it's just my roots how bad could it be? Oh no it was so brassy and gold and I'm a natural blonde. So, I used white lady on my roots and it's fantastic. Today I did the #3 protein filler from my neck down to the back of my hair which is to my waist. I added a little to some extra brassy spots on top. After I put the filler in I used Wella Colour Charm Demi in lightest ash blonde or 10NA.

I applied it through and I'm happy to report my hair is even and ashy blonde again. I still have more brass to pull because I want to go platinum. But at least now my hair is in good shape to take the next step.I will always use this to refresh my colour. It makes it so soft and the purple in conjunction with the demi. Was just what I needed to get an even ash blonde. Love this stuff it's easy and it's so cheap at Sally's I get it 20% off with my student discount. Seriously I will be stocking up because it's that good. Recommended!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by MES

I've been coloring my hair since I was 14, which is nearly 20 years of coloring. I have very fine hair that is naturally a very ashy level 6-7. In 20 years my hair has been everything from ultra light ash blonde, to jet black and even some vibrant unnatural shades. This is a must if you are doing drastic color changes at home. Yes some things are best left to the pros, but this is a miracle product if you are changing your hair color by more than two shades at home. I have used this to successfully take my hair from blonde to brown without turning green. This is also helpful when bleaching/lightening hair to help control porosity. Yes it's a pain to use, and I highly suggest getting a small spray bottle. There are so many more expensive products in much fancier packaging, but the proof is in the pudding.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 5:09:00 PM More reviews by audrelyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I typically don't write reviews but I am so impressed by the effectiveness of this product that I feel obligated to do so. After running through almost every protein/restorative hair product at Ulta and every salon in Orlando, I finally came across Colorful's Neutral Protein Filler. I'm 35 and have been coloring and heat styling my hair for almost 15yrs. Lately (the past year) my hair has refused to hold haircolor past one shampoo. I was almost ready to go Britney and shave it off. I read the raving reviews for Colorful but figured it couldn't be that great if it's only $4. But I had tried everything else and had nothing to lose so I ordered it. Why didn't I find this sooner?! I am absolutely amazed by my results! I followed the directions on the label and after only one use my hair has done a 180! I went from an overprocessed birdnest to vibrant, silky, supermodel hair. I now use it once a month as a restorative treatment and my hair is in fantastic condition! At $6/bottle you should definitely stock up.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 3:39:00 PM More reviews by thistar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One word: Amazing. My hair is literally DEAD from bleaching and colouring to the point where no colour or toner would hold. I bleached my hair to a level 9/10 blonde and after a year I wanted to go darker. My hair turned green when I tried to dye it. Even at professional salons they told me to just give up and get a pixie cut. After doing weeks of research and trying a whole bunch of different methods that failed, I read about protein fillers. This product was hard to get a hold of. Maybe that's because I live in Canada. Also, there isn't enough information about it on the internet. I ordered it online and had to pay shipping but it was totally worth it. I got it in #6 gold. I never write reviews for stuff but I think everyone who dyes their hair needs to know about this product. It is a miracle product. Put this stuff in your hair, let it process for 15-20 mins, then apply your darker blonde colour and voila.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2013 3:56:00 AM More reviews by Lauraasti

I just don't seem to have luck with this product. I used the Red and Neutral on separate occasions. I followed the directions exactly and also tried a few tips I had learned from fellow fake redheads like myself. I do use boxed dye from the drugstore, however, so that may have worked against me (garnier nutrisse in light intense auburn). There were a few pro's with each product though: both seemed to bring out deeper red tones in the auburn dye, both made application much easier (they seemed to detangle my hair) and both dramatically decreased the amount of dye that I needed--I usually need 1 and 1/2 to 2 bottles, but one bottle saturated my hair perfectly with some leftover (length is a few inches past my shoulders). When my hair does begin to fade, it fades to more of a dusty blue-red tone rather than brassy orange. That's where the benefits stop for me. The red is soapy, the neutral is not. When I tried using the red in a spray bottle (even diluted), it came out as a straight shot (rather than a mist) before clogging the nozzle, but the neutral is much thinner and sprayed flawlessly. The red stains everything, the neutral does not. Neither evened out my hair color. I have one small section that was previously bleached (but not fried) and the red only turned it a brighter, fire engine red, while the neutral turned it a fiery orange. My ends are still dramatically darker than the middle and top portions of my hair and the neutral even gave me very HOT ROOTS, which i've never experienced with the red or touching up the color alone. Even the bottoms of my choppy layers are dramatically darker than the top. I had such high hopes for this product, I'm very disappointed. However, they are very affordable, so I may purchase them again when I better acclimate myself with using processional color and developer instead of box dye. Hopefully if I make that switch, I'll be able to report back with a different tune.
EDIT: finally got around to using professional color instead of boxed and the results are better than with the box dye, but i'm still not 100% satisfied. No hot roots and my bleached spot is slightly closer to the rest of my color, I definitely don't recommend using this with a box color specifically made for dark hair like I had in the past. My hair might just be stubborn, but I do see a slight improvement!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 7:01:00 PM More reviews by gtabbie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm thrilled with this filler! Wish I'd found it years ago.

I have baby fine, light blond hair (level 8 or 9). I usually have a mix of natural highlights in summer and bleached highlights in winter. I recently added bangs which messed with my highlight pattern, and led to a weird patchy mix of shades - brassy in spots and platinum in others.

I'd tried toning before with Wella T10 (Ivory Lady), 10 vol developer for 10 mins. The color was terrible, purple/grey at the ends and highlights and unchanged at the brassier roots. Luckily it washed out quickly. I found this protein filler mentioned on the hair board and decided to try the same toner again with the filler.

I applied the filler as per the label (20 mins), then toned the same way as before. The results were PERFECT! No purple/grey tinge in the more porous spots, and the parts that didn't take color last time took it this time. Even color, brassiness gone, and exactly what I needed.

This stuff rocks. Next I'm going to try it as a hair treatment. Although not more than once a month as I understand too much protein can be damaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 6:24:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this not for dyeing hair as it's intended, but rather as a cheap and highly effective protein treatment.

My hair really craves protein, the more the better as far as it's concerned. So I like to do a daily treatment combined with a biweekly deeper treatment...I use this as my deep treatment. Out of the smaller bottle, I was able to get four treatments by diluting portions of it with water just before use. I wash my hair with shampoo, and then turn off the tap and work this through my hair. I leave it in and let it air dry until it gets crunchy, and then wash it out and follow up with a nice conditioner. This keeps my hair in fantastic condition, and somehow brings out the natural waves in my hair. For such a low price, you really can't beat this as a protein treatment.

EDIT: I've discovered other ways to use this. I now mix a bit of it into my regular conditioner for daily protein boosts, and I also like to make a leave in conditioner with a smidge of this as well. Obviously, don't use all at once unless you're looking for protein overload, but this product is really insanely versatile for those who have protein loving hair.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Mhernandez102311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I like to change my hair color all the time I any stay with one! Lol so I decided to do the most stupidest thing and bleach my hair by myself and the ending results that I got was three different colors on my hair and to top it off I damaged it horribly!! :/ so then I decided to leave it alone for three weeks!! I was walking around for three weeks with my hair different colors and all messed up!! Ah!! So I decided to do my research and find how I can fix this myself with out making it worse! I found this and L'oreal hi light hair dye! I bought the hair dye and the protein filler and had it stored for 5 days because I was so nervous and scared to go ahead and do it lol I then got the strength and decided to fix my hair. Btw my hair before was black and after bleaching it turned to a red brown mixed with some yellow and some black left. So I put on the protein filler first for the 20 minutes and I didn't use a spray bottle even though it was pretty messy I still did it like that and I ha rinsed my hair before putting the filler in. After the 20 minutes was done I grabbed my hair dye and mixed it put it on my roots first because of the misfortune I had and then I did the rest of my hair. Afterwards once I left my hair process the time I had to leave it process I washed it and yes it leaves your hair kind off dry so you always want to follow it with a intensive hair mask. I put on the Lea Journo hair mask for 5 minutes and then rinsed! And omg my hair is so silky smooth and shiny!!! :)) and it's not dry at all anymore!! Of course I got hot roots but it's what I should have been expecting because of my uneven bleach! But this saved me because at least my hair looks even out now!! :) which it's a big plus!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by haynmama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been dying my hair w/loreal hicolor hilights & while I love the vibrant color, I do not love the unevenness. So, I heard about this stuff from YouTube. I picked up a bottle of the red red. I didn't shampoo my hair, but sort of conditioner washed it. Left my hair in a towel for about 10min & then I emptied 1/2 the bottle into a spray bottle (my hair is about mid-back length w/layers). I completely saturated my hair & combed it through. Use gloves if you're using the colored one & a junk towel, etc. I didn't really have any excess to blot but I let it sit for 20min. I then applied my hair color while my hair is damp from this stuff. Tada! Even hair color & healthy hair! I'm using this stuff every time I color my hair. It's so cheap ($3) & it's enough for 2 applications. I agree, that the packaging sucks. It would make more sense to sell it in a spray bottle but oh well. <3

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by dawsonsed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First time reviewer here, moved to review because this stuff saved my hair! If you color your hair at home, you MUST get this. I researched everything to avoid hot roots, and this is the trick. I'd colored my hair brown (it's naturally dark ash blonde), and wanted to change it back. After using L'oreal's color fix and dyeing it with Revlon's Colorsilk dark ash blonde, it was still a bit dry and brassy, and continued getting brassier and lighter as I washed my hair. I waited three weeks, bought John Frieda's dark pearl ash blonde, and went for it to see if I could get back to my natural color. After washing my hair, (but no conditioner), I used half the bottle on my damp hair (and the other reviewers are correct - get a spray bottle, otherwise, it's very messy), waited twenty minutes, towel dried, then used the foam color. It's much easier to apply the foam color to wet hair, and you use far less, but it seemed to spread similarly to when I use the whole bottle. My hair turned out fabulous - soft, shiny, and evenly colored in the EXACT same color as the box, from root to tip. No hot roots, no fake looking brass - just my own color (slightly darker) back to normal. Thank you reviewers on MakeupAlley for your tips on this product - it's incredible! I feel like I'm back to the virgin, undyed hair I had a few months ago before I got the coloring itch :).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No