October 1, 2014 | 1330 users online

Lipstick - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Lipstick

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by xwhereswaldo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this in Birthday Suit. I generally don't really like nudes but got this in a kit. It's actually really nice, it's smooth and creamy and looks nice on my lips. It's glossy, no shimmer. Never dried out my lips. It's opaque but isn't thick, kind of like a Glaze but definitely gives out colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Susanh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

5 stars for this product!!! Well, at least in Birthday Suit and Dyani as those are the only colors I have tried. I love a nude or pinky-peachy-nude lip and Birthday Suit is my daily go-to lipstick. Its moisturizing and has good staying power but I do re-apply later in the day. I am pretty picky about my lipsticks....I do not want a strong smell, no chalkiness, not to sheer, not to expensive. Josie's lipsticks just feel natural on and I like that there are no harsh chemicals. The price is a little high for my tastes but it does not stop me from purchasing. I would rather have 1 $20 lipstick that I love, than 3 $7 lipsticks that I dont really like. I used to use Paula Dorf lipsticks in flamingo and (cant remember name-nude color) and although I like them they are a bit chalky in comparison.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2009 8:31:00 AM More reviews by proflady

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought a Josie Maran lipstick in Mysterious -- a lovely burgundy wine color -- and I had such high hopes, esp. since this line is organic. Unfortunately I hated this lipstick with a passion. It has the weirdest consistency: kind of waxy yet slippery. It didn't apply evenly at all because it's not creamy, and so my lips looked like a hot mess, darker in some places than others and just plain messy. I returned it and sampled some other colors at Sephora, but they were all similar in texture and application. Very disappointed.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2009 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Kuuipogal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased a couple lipsticks-beautiful plummy colours, and 2 lip plumpers. The colours are beautiful, they have no stain or staying power and are very thin consistancy. The plumpers are also thin, have no staying power and do not plump. If you do not like thick, creamy lipstick, this is the brand for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2007 1:41:00 AM More reviews by sunlee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let me preface my review by saying that I am in no way affiliated with Josie Maran Cosmetics or with Environmental Working Group. What I AM is a concerned consumer and parent who has been hearing some disturbing stuff that makes me question what the heck am I putting on my body.

Josie Maran is the eponymous, brand-new line of cosmetics from the supermodel who modeled for Maybelline for 10 years. The first question is: Really, do we need another line of makeup, even if it is brainchild of a model? The answer is YES because there are couple of things that differentiates this line from others.

First off, Ms. Maran screened each product through the Environmental Working Group (EWG) to verify the safeness and non-toxicity of each product. This is especially an especially important factor given all the news lately questioning the safety of the US beauty industry with hormone disruptors and carcinogens being found in our skincare and makeup. Read The Toxic Chemistry of Everday Products and What's at Stake for American Power by Mark Shapiro, if you want to learn more. Also check out EWG's website at http://cosmeticdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1 -- really eye-opening stuff!

Secondly, the products have natural, organic ingredients when possible, and the packaging is even recyclable and/or biodegradable. Most of it is made from that corn-based plastic which is compostable, and the glass is made from recycled glass. No animal-testing is also a given.

Now, how do the actual products rate? I purchased the lipstick in "Flirtatious" which is beautiful, creamy, dusky, slightly mauve-y pink which would look good in a wide range of complexions. The texture is silky-smooth, goes on evenly, and is not drying at all. My only gripe is that I wish the finish was touch more glossy; it's not a matte finish, but it would definitely benefit with a top coat of gloss. I almost purchased the gloss, but didn't want to spend $22 for the plumping lip gloss.

I purchased the lipstick and a powder blush at Barneys San Francisco, which so far, is the only brick-and-mortar outlet for this line; it's also available online at josiemarancosmetics.com.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No