July 30, 2014 | 2115 users online

Styling Products - Brylcreem Power Hold Hair Gel

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by tonyawyatt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was waiting for this product to come up on MUA so I could review it. I love Brylcreem!!!! In my opinion, this is not a gel, doesn't offer any type of hold and does not make your hair hard by any means. It comes in a large tube and it says "a little dab will do 'ya" and they are right!! You do not use any more than a pea size amount (and I have long hair) applied to hair from ears down (don't get next to your roots) before you blow dry and seriously, your hair will be like silk. It gives it that heavy, thick, moist feeling without being greasy at all (IF you don't use any more than a pea, otherwise you'll be very oily). It makes blowdrying a dream, it comes out with zero fly-aways or frizzies. I will never blowdry without putting a little of this in first. I really didn't want to like this product so much. I didn't want my HG hair product to be this cream made for men, with hardly a scent and ugly packaging. But honestly, nothing is better than this. So I will continue to buy forever. HG!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2007 12:59:00 AM More reviews by Product_Junkie

I stumbled upon this gel at one the local pharmacies. It was on sale for $2(CAD)so I figured it was worth a try, even though I am very pleased with Tressemme Bouncy Curls Defining Gel. I still prefer Tressemme, but Brylcreem comes very close, unlike the other gels that I have tried previously. Now to the product: it is alcohol free and has decent ingredients. After using the gel,my hair was more defined and shiny minus crunchiness, however I found it a little heavy and a tad sticky. But it still a good stand-by. The original price is around ($3.49 CAD) which is still pretty decent, considering that it worked better than some of the more expensive (higher-end/salon/brands) that I have used. It is also hard to find; I could not locate it at Walmart or SDM and other mass retailers. But sometimes in small pharmacies, I find products which I have not seen in years, or products that have been d/c'd. I will stick to Tressemme because it is easily available and works really well on my hair. Overall, I give Brylcreem between a 4.5 and 5 lippies.IMO/IME, this is one of the better gels out there at a reasonable price, ingredients that are good for the hair, etc w/out bells and whistles. **EDIT** I am upping this rating to 5 lippies. This gel defines my curls very nicely, but there is still movement, body and shine. It also makes my hair very soft and does not leave build-up. At first it seemed a little sticky right after applying it, but once it dries, the stickiness goes away. It also stays true to its claims, in that it really conditions the hair and keeps the ends healthy, this is what I experienced.The only qualm, however, is that this gel very hard to find thus I will probably ask the pharmacy to order more. Great stuff! Here are the list of ingredients from drugstore.com:

Water, PVP, Triethanolamine, PVP/VA Copolymer, Retinol, Ergocalciferol, Tocopherol, Panthenol, Carthamus Tinctorius Seed Oil (Safflower), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Carbomer, Polyquaternium 11, PEG 60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Dimethicone Copolyol, Benzophenone 4, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Ext D&C Violet 2

**UPDATE/EDIT** Still give Brylcreem gel 5 lippies but I prefer the other kind for my curly hair. I find this weighs my hair down a bit when I leave my hair curly. However, when i straighten my hair and put it in a ponytail, I use some of this to smooth the sides and wow!! Tames flyaways w/out stickiness and buildup. My hair has a nice gloss to it thus the colour is nicely enhanced due to the conditioning ingredients in the gel. I recently found tubes of these at my local dollar store!! I would prefer a gel like this in firm or soft hold rather than maximum hold though. But given the price and performance, I give five lippies.