April 24, 2014 | 1353 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Balthazar Duo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 9:20:00 AM More reviews by AngelOnFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got Balthazar purely out of curiousity when reading the glowing reviews here. Once the occasion arose (in the form of an eBay auction), I jumped at it. It came to me from the loveliest private seller who travels between Ireland and Japan. I got this in nearly mint condition without the box, and the seller even offered to mail me the box free of charge once she got back home. But I declined, knowing that this duo isn't going anywhere!

NARS describes these shades as simply 'maize and saffron', which isn't exactly a precise description, as both maize and saffron come in a variety of shades. I'd describe the left colour as antique gold or brass, and the right as burnt orange. The finish is curious. The shades don't have shimmer, they ARE the shimmer itself. The most finely milled shimmer for a beautiful, metallic effect.

I have used Balthazar several times now, and I love it with every application. The texture is probably the best I've seen from NARS. Soft and highly pigmented, yet firm enough not to fall apart. I use the lighter shade in the inner corner of my eyelid, whereas the darker shade goes onto the outer corner and the crease. As for the lower lid, anything goes. What is very surprising about this duo is that it is very wearable for everyday, except in the most conservative of work places. The shades make my greenish-blue eyes appear a little more blue, but it doesn't make them as blue as the NARS Scorching Sun duo. The eyeshadow stays put all day, but the fact that I don't have oily lids must surely play a part in it, as well.

I consider Balthazar to be not just an eye shadow, but 'jewlelry' for my eyes. The metallic effect of both shades is decorative, not over-the-top and does not distract from your eyes, just helps them being more of a focal point in the whole that is your face. This product is five lippie material, perhaps even HG.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2009 11:29:00 AM More reviews by VictrixObsequens

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I LOVE these colors. They make my blue eyes absolutely pop. The colors are so pigmented and so easy to blend too. This is my first NARS eyeshadow duo and I am absolutely hooked. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2009 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Adrianlu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't know why I waited so long to get this. Some people recommend Mediteranee for people in my skin tone range, get THIS instead. Mediteranne is hard to wear but this is so easy to wear for trendy and natural looks. I love the texture of NARS shadows, they are powders but feel so creamy. This is a must have for people with Olive/ Carmel skin. This is so pretty. Its not really that pricey to me its like 16 bucks per shadow which is a little more than MAC. I love these colors together and separately. The colors are a warm orange tinged bronze and a gilded mustard color. HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 3:17:00 PM More reviews by lamanley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This NARS eye shadow duo has two of the prettiest colors. One color is a burnt orange and the other is a antique gold. This duo looks excellent together. I love how it looks on me brown eyes. Although the duo is expensive, at a whopping $32.00, I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2007 10:03:00 PM More reviews by oolala30

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've found another favorite. I played with this at Nordstrom and I dont know why because I gave up on NARS a long time ago and swapped away my entire NARS stash about a year ago. Anyway, I fell in love with this at first sight. Tried it on and was immediately HOOKED!!! I have worn this a few times since purchasing and get compliments every time. I used Stila Gold cream shadow as a base and lined with MAC Molten Sol Liquidlast liner. The results were stunning. This is one NARS product that I will purchase again and again and again!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2007 3:02:00 AM More reviews by Kuuipogal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

ANtique gold and burnt orange. Looks amazing on dark eyes and brown or olive skin. Great applied vertically rather than in horizontal bands-especially if you are Asian and lack an epicanthal fold. This is like Key Largo electrafied and volted up a million notches then gilded. Looks amazing with their luster blush. Wear it with lots of black mascara and eyeliner. It has that "India" feeling.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2007 3:11:00 PM More reviews by sarahlovesmac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this duo! it is really different and very fall-ish. Both colors are really unique and I did not have anything like them in my extensive eye shadow collection, so it is really worth the purchase. I have green eyes and it makes the color look really cool. I disagree with the previous reviewer because I think that these are very creative colors. They aren't unflattering, they are just unique. Not your every day copper and gold.... both of the colors have a very antiqued look. I have a feeling this duo will be getting a lot of use from me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2007 12:21:00 AM More reviews by PrincessScuzzlebutt2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Both these shades are super silky, pigmented, blendable, and VERY shimmery! I was hoping the left side would be more golden and less mustard-ey. I think its a little bit too dark. But the right side is a beautiful burnt orange shade that looks great in the summertime!