December 19, 2014 | 1623 users online

Lipstick - Besame - Enchanting Lipstick in Merlot

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love the color and packaging. This reminds me of Mac ls but in a Sally' s size tube. It's expensive but as little as I wear ls these days it will last me a while so I can justify paying the price. I'd like to get many more colors & products as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 3:22:00 PM More reviews by aksaiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this in the luxury sample set (version 2, the one with a gram of product in each sample jar), and I'm planning to order to full size soon!
Previously, I had only owned Red Hot Red and Red Velvet. I had thought that Red Velvet is going to be my favorite color of the reds, but now I know it's Merlot!

I suppose it varies with each person's skintone, and on me it is basically a maroon color. Think the Hollister & Co. type of maroon, it matched with one of my T-shirts from them pretty much perfectly (though I have more than one shirt from them of the dark reddish tone but only one matched...). On my olive NC20-25 Asian skin, it looks a bit vampy (gothy?), but with winged liner and lots of mascara I totally dig the style! :D

The lasting power is great, and though I only have the sample right now, I know from my full size of Red Velvet that you can pretty much apply it straight from the tube without liner and it'll still look beautiful! If you want to use a liner though, neither end of the Red and Cerise Masterliner actually matches Merlot perfectly, Cerise is too burgundy and Red is a little too light. Personally, I'd choose the red side, but I've tried either one and you could pull off both.

As with all their reds, it does feel quite high maintenance though. I mean this in the way that these lipsticks are so pigmented, should you accidentally touch your lips, you could end up with a very difficult to remove red streak on your face. So...uh...remove it before you make out with your SO...I'm pretty sure he won't appreciate its removal...

(It does come off with makeup remover wipes and such, but no amount of rubbing will thin it out enough to not look like a red patch)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 3:46:00 AM More reviews by mneiai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I know a lipstick is great when my mother compliments me on it, she's normally horrible about remembering to compliment her favorite daughter on makeup ;)

I'm NC15, yellow/olive, brunette. I tried this in the red lipstick sampler I bought from them (I very must suggest getting this even if you're not looking for new lipsticks, it's a great value and each sample lasts multiple applications) and right away I knew I was going to order the full size, even though I wavered on which other ones to get with the sample pack discount.

This is totally HG for me, it goes on well (I always use a brush with darker lipsticks, so I'm not very familiar with how direct application would look), holds up very well, and looks wonderful. It's a great brown-toned red that doesn't wash me out, make me look older, draw attention to my flaws, or any of the numerable things that red lipstick can do.

Added to that, it comes in the stunning Besame packaging. While expensive, it is lipstick, and highly pigmented, which for the average person means it will last a very long time. Plus, when you pull it out of its velvet bag in front of other people, you can feel confident it doesn't look ridiculous or cheap, like some other HE brands (not that I don't enjoy that, sometimes, but if I spend the money, I want it to look like I did).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2008 4:50:00 PM More reviews by gilda

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Perfect neutral wine/bery red, not brown, not pink. The wear is outstanding it does not migrate nor lose color on my inner lips leaving that weird too thick lip liner look. NC35 lots of pigment to my lips.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2008 6:04:00 PM More reviews by tsrdlips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this color for a dramatic lip, use a lip brush for precision application. Lasting power is incredible and non drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2008 7:32:00 AM More reviews by DDP1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

On me (pale skin with lips that aren't very pigmented), this shade looks quite different than how it's described on the Besame website. I wouldn't call it a brown red; I'd say it's burgundy-red with just a hint of brown. If it had a strong brown tone it wouldn't look good on me. Also, on me it's not an everyday color because it's rather vampy! WIth Besame's deeper shades, a lipliner is necessary. I have the Besame Masterliner in Red + Cerise and Cerise, although not an exact match, works with Merlot.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Tmoney99

For some reason this color doesnt look red on me but know this...I'm weird. I have supper dupper yellow under tones and so this looks like a very pretty wine color on me. This is probably why it was named merlot b/c on some people it looks red and others like wine.

Regardless I love this color. If you are a weird white person with brown hair brown eyes and major yellow tones dont buy this as a red. Look into Red Velvet. That's a nice blue red. I still love this it's great b/c it stays on all day and I can throw the little tube into my purse and not worry about it taking up much space. PLUS I like the fact that the lid and tube are metal. This means that the lid wont break or warp.

A problem I have with plastic lids is they break and come off in my purse and then you have all sorts of CRAP on your lipstick that seems to NEVER come out. YUCK!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2007 11:25:00 AM More reviews by olivia1173

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my HG everyday red. It is the only l/s that does not turn bright pink on my lips. IT is a bit dryer than other besame l/s's which really adds to its staying power. It is less of a true red color and more of a pink red.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2007 12:24:00 PM More reviews by sushiiflower

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Merlot is the perfect berry stained red lipstick. It looks like you've been eating raspberries all day long. I was very surprised because I originally thought this was going to be a another boring dark lipstick that looks way too goth for everyday normal use, but boy was I wrong! It's very creamy and moisturizing with no overly shiny lips. If you prefer a matte look, just blot and viola! Matte lips without the dryness! I got a sample of this when I purchased other Besamè lipsticks so I used a lip brush to apply this. I can't wait to buy the full size. I find Besamè cosmetics to appeal to a wide range of skin tones without being too flashy or gaudy which plagues most cosmetic companies today. This retails for $18 USD in a small pinky sized bullet shaped gold tube with red floral design in a small red velvet pull tie pouch. Worth every penny because a little goes a long way so this tube should rival the length of your regular sized lipsticks.