L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

on 8/25/2015 10:46:00 AM

I used L'Oreal Excellence for years, but finally switched because no matter what shade I tried it always ended up leaving me with this cheap red looking tint. (I know someone else who uses this brand and they don't have the same problem.) I was initially quite happy with the Preference because I finally lost the red tint. Unfortunately, after a year's use, my hair is in very bad shape. I can't believe these two hair dyes are made by the same company. To add insult to injury, Preference is more expensive than Excellence. Maybe the Excellence's pre-conditioner is a miracle worker, I don't know. I'm now trying Garner Nutrisse. Hopefully, I'll be able repair this damaged mess.

on 8/18/2015 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

First time - COLORED MY OWN HAIR - grabbed a color from drugstore
Mistakenly bought 5CB = medium chestnut brown

Did in garage with hubby hale

Did not even do the roots, plus all over - just all over - no strand test - just timed to 25 min

CONS
1). STINKS - stay in a well ventilated area
2). Stings will burn damage your eyes
3). Difficult to do on your own = smell = eyes

PROS
1), My hair came out so soft, and true to color and SHINEY
2). It pulled red (DUH) and thus I would say it is true to color CHESTNUT brown (duh!)
3). The cream they give you / conditioner is awesome
4). Much of my frizz was gone
5). Was fairly even all over perhaps ends a tad dark got a hair cut

E-SALON 8 WEEKS LATER CUSTOM COLOR
I tried E-Salon 8 weels later sent in photos and described what I wanted

PROS
1). Did not smell as much No Stink, paint on with brush, not sure it was any easier
2). Did change and correct color - removed red
3). Needed a trim, ends too dark

CONS
1). My hair was LIKE STRAW - unbelievable no silky soft feeling
2). Had to super deep condition over and over
3). Color Did not last long, my hair color faded, turned red and had tons of frizz
4). Seemed to get color all over me and not easy to remove (elbows, hairline, etc)

BACK TO LOREAL SUPERIOR PREFERENCE

Went to a lighter color 6 Natural Brown

PROS
1). In 25 minutes, my hair wnt to a frizzy yucky multi colored mess to a silky medium chocolate brown
2). VERY Silky Hair
3). Smooth easy - easy to blow out - no frizz
4). under $10 for a gorgeous just as good as the salon color (saved me $100)

CONS -- none really

I was more careful this time, watched my eyes and skin, had hubby help 25 did in garge and was well ventilated

In 25 minutes I had a gorgeous silky mane

It is a tad dark but will lighten up in a few washings

NO RED - nice chocolate brown color - slightly warm

Do need to get my ends trimmed (has been 3 mo) as ends are a tad dark and too long

on 8/6/2015 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Best hair colour ever !!!!
This is the only PERMANENT HAIR COLOUR
Every other colour eventually washes out but this one doesn't ....

It somehow lightened my hair about 3 shades without bleach (from nearly black to Brown)
It's colours are so vibrant and it comes with a massive tube of conditioner ....

on 3/30/2015 6:18:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this hair colour in the shade RP07 Intense Red Copper after going through a rough patch with 'favourite' drugstore haircolour, Garnier Olia. I've been dying my hair at home for 5+ years, dabbling with a few shades here and there but for the most part, I am a dye-hard (sorry for the awful pun) redhead. Despite being told that dyeing your hair at home is horrible for hair health, and it is destined to not turn out, I have had many compliments from strangers and stylists alike on my straight from the box, red locks! As any "false" redheads like myself know, red is an all or nothing colour, go big or go home. Semi-permanent dye will not give you the vibrant results you are looking for since red colouring loses pigment faster than any other hair dye colour tenfold. I have tried dyeing my hair with semi and demi permanent dye time and time again and it simply never looks as vibrant and beautiful. Naturally as a result, dyed redheads will find their hair to be more damaged because if you want to upkeep your brilliant colour, it isn't going to be getting much of a break from the ammonia. Despite all this however, I take very, very good care of my hair and as a result, only suffer from the odd split end here and there. I am constantly going to a salon and getting a proper trim, or snipping off split/broken ends at home with barber shears and using masks and little heat on my hair because healthy hair = more vibrant, even colour.

Anyways....this shade had come to my attention while watching a commercial for Superior Preference and I was just blown away by how the shade had looked like what I had always envisioned for myself as a redhead. Since this shade of red is a Level 7, versus my previous colour which was Level 6, I needed to let my hair go for an extra long time without dyeing it that way I could remove a good portion of the darker dye before going in with a slightly lighter shade (for reference, my natural hair colour is a Level 6). I waited 4 months in between colourings and god my roots looked brutal. My strategy worked and when I went to dye my hair with Superior Preference which was about a month ago, the colour was able to lighten my hair sufficiently so there was no unevenness, or line between the freshly dyed root and previous colour. In terms of the dyeing experience, it wasn't terribly unlike others. Two things which I noted however was that the smell of the dye was particularly potent which was a bit unpleasant, and the dye was quite thin and drippy likely as a result of the colorant being a liquid formula versus the more typical cream formula. Usually when dyeing my hair, I apply the colour to the roots only and about 5-10 minutes before I need to rinse out the colour, I apply it to the rest of my hair to freshen up the colour. Since I was changing shades this time however, I applied the dye to my entire head and left it on for the full processing time which I believe was about 25 minutes. The dye washed out fairly easily, and I followed up with a keratin moisture mask. No hot roots were experienced.

It has been about a month since I dyed my hair and I must say that I am very pleased with how well the colour has maintained itself. Usually when I take a shower and wash my hair, there is a fair bit of red dye that comes off on the white towel (this washes off in the washing machine) and with this dye, I get practically none. The dream of every redhead out there. The colour is also that perfect shade that I have always wanted, more of a 'natural' redhead shade but still quite vibrant. I am incredibly displeased with the health of my hair however. I fully understand that when you dye your hair, you leave it susceptible to damage, I wasn't born yesterday. It is the nature of an otherwise pleasant beast. The degree of damage that this left my hair in is like nothing I've ever experienced before, my hair has been in better condition after being bleached at the salon!! My hair is broken in ways I had no idea breakage even existed...broken in 8 places, 5+ split ends coming out of the very same strand. Brutal. My hair was in excellent condition for coloured hair before and now it is on the bad side. I plan on getting a few inches taken off at the salon immediately before the damage works its way up the strand. For that reason alone, I cannot recommend this dye. I am incredibly pleased with the colour and genuinely hope that I can find another dye that gives me the same beautiful result that will not take such a toll on the health of my hair. Healthy hair is essential to good colour and if the colour is damaging my hair to such an extent, there isn't any point to colouring it. If your hair colour doesn't require quite as much maintenance then you will probably be very satisfied with this dye but otherwise, don't even bother.

on 2/17/2015 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Not too sure why there are so many poor/mediocre reviews on this product ! I personally love this hair color. I suppose everyone's hair is different, which is probably the main reason reviews are so mixed. For reference, my hair is long and dark ash brown. It's naturally wavy and thick, but fine in individual texture. My hair is not damaged, as I baby it very much lol. I've had damaged hair in the past, but over the years I now consider myself a bit of a hair connoisseur. I know how to repair the most damaged hair, and I know the best products to make hair healthy and strong. It's taken years, mind you, but on to the review ! This stuff is fairly thick, so it doesn't drip much. It gives nice coverage, coating hair without need for too much product. But the most important thing is, this color makes my hair feel silky and smooth after coloring ! Most dyes leave hair dry or stringy, but this stuff makes my hair feel amazing. It's also a beautiful color ! I use either medium ash brown or dark brown, I mix it up. This is the only drugstore color I have ever liked. I've tried Nice N' Easy, Loreal Feria, Garnier Nutrisse, Garnier Olia, and none compare. This stuff just leaves my hair shiny, and the color is so rich. It lasts a long time, too. Just take care of it by using color safe shampoo, and a nice rich condirioner. I can't wait to dye my hair when I use this because I know it'll be a great few hair days ! haha definite repurchase :)

on 1/12/2015 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I give up. I cannot find an at-home hair color that will not turn my dark brown roots red. For reference, I have dark brown hair and all I want to do is cover some grays; I used the color dark ash brown specifically to counter the red roots that inevitably seem to happen with dark brown dye. The red is not as bad as Nutrisse, but the overall effect still looks cheap. I guess I'l have to go the salon, which is frustrating because my hair color is so single process and boring I feel I should be able to do this at home! Also, the smell that others have mentioned isn't awful, just persistent...I'm still smelling it on my hair after washing. And it did leave my hair drier than usual.

on 1/6/2015 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This review is of 8.5 Champagne Blonde.

I have light brown hair the same color as the last 'before' picture on the package. This dye is terrible. It turned my hair red. More specifically: Child's Play orange. Even after a second application it only turned it more orange.

Worst hairdye I've ever used, and I've used plenty.

on 12/12/2014 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This colour (8.3 Champagne) was terrible!! it told me to leave it in for 30mins which i did (no indication you could leave it longer) and my blondish/light brown hair went redish and hasnt lightened at all despite the indication it would. My hair was not too dark for the product to begin with, this stuff sucks

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My hair is naturally a very dark brown and I bought black luminére dye. It was a blackish blue color. When I washed my hair 2 days later, the water and the shampoo were the color of the hair dye. I didn't think anything of it because generally some hair dye still washes out when you wash your hair for the first time. I did notice there were quite a few brown spots already though. Then the second time I washed it a pretty good amount of hair dye was still coming out. After I blow dried my hair I checked and noticed that there were even more brown patches. Now it's been 5 days since I dyed my hair and a lot of dye is still visible in the water when I wash it. Not to mention, my roots are basically all brown and are even lighter than they were before I dyed my hair. The length of my hair is still dark black though. I am having to go to the salon to get this fixed. I DO NOT recommend this brand for dark hair dye.

on 11/30/2014 8:07:00 AM

Don't do it, DO NOT BUY THIS! I'm pretty easy going with my hair. It grows quickly and I can always do somehing to make a bad cut or color better. I bought this to match my natural color to take out my brassy ends from sun bleaching. I made sure to buy Ash Brown since my hair pulls red. I followed the directions and actually applied roots after ends to avoid problems. WELL..... I ended up with hot roots. Bad hot roots. I've never had this in my life. My length died quite dark, almont black (probably my fault a bit since they were lighter) and very flat color. But the roots! They turned a blond ginger color. I'm naturally a dark, cool brunette. FML.
I've already scrubbed the length with Dawn Dish soap and baking soda to remove excess color (no change) and did a Vitamin C + head and Shoulders soak to lighten (def helped). Then applied a different brown color (Garnier Belle Color, really liked it) but the roots are still hot, just not as bad. Not clue what I'll do, probably put my tail between my legs and go to the salon.
I've used box dye before, for the last 17 years, but not regularly. Its probably been a good 7 years since my last use.
Other comments: the smell really is horrible. I thought the other reviewers were just being whiney but this is bad. I have a super-duper bathroom fan and I almost choked. The product really is so liquidy it makes extra mess and it hard to pile your hair up on top of your head.
If you've already bought this and haven't used it, and are reading reviews: Return it. Throw it out. Do whatever but its not worth it!

Video Reviews & Tutorials