July 31, 2014 | 1787 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by brk008

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hmm. Well... I started with my natural born-again virgin medium brown hair. Added Lightest Golden Brown (6.5). Waited 25 minutes. Ended with... Hmm. Not really sure. It's not my natural medium brown hair. It's definitely not the color on the box. It's vaguely reddish brown. It looks as if the color didnt lift at all. I checked the box multiple times before I purchased, and it was recommended for dark blonde to dark brown hair. I figured it was safe because even if I overestimated how "medium brown" my hair is, it was recommended for dark brown hair as well. But the color didnt lighten at all. It turned out almost like it was just a glaze. However, unlike a glaze, this color definitely damaged my hair. I could see new breakage as I was blow drying. I don't hate the color, but I feel like I cant trust the box anymore, so I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by djd1950

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used Excellence for several years but prefer the more gel-like consistency of Preference. I have fine hair which grows fast and is entirely gray in some sections and at least 50% in the others. I consider it medium brown but I think in hairdresser-speak it's light brown. I mix half a bottle Medium brown natural and half a bottle of Medium brown ash (in a bowl with ml markings) to counteract the tendency towards warmth, which I denied for several years until:
1) I saw a photo taken outside in which my hair appeared to be on fire; and
2) A sales assistant pointed me to a blush which would go well "with your red hair."

This product cannot be healthy...nothing with this toxic stink could be...I wonder if Erin Brockovich uses hair dye...anyway...it works. Gray gone, hair shiny. I'm always trying new tricks to prevent the toxic sludge from getting in my eyes and ears...this time I used a Palmer's Cocoa Butter stick around the hairline and it mostly worked..

Eventually the professional highlights from last November show through again, but that's ok. With CVS sale and coupons each box was about $5.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2013 5:36:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I am really surprised at how good this home dye is. I originally bought the Cool Dark (Ash) Brown as I didn't want reddish/brown grey roots on my currently darkest brown hair and the colour came out great. I find the newer formula with the oil you have to add very runny so I only added half the vial to the mixture and the consistency was less runny. My hair was shiny even though it felt quite straw like when wet, and my scalp didn't burn which was one of the reasons I felt I had to give up ammonia formulations. It left a few greys untouched (my greys are very resistant) but not enough to notice. I've since used it in Brasilia - Dark Brown and although I was very worried at first as it looked black and nothing like the lighter Brasilia colour on the old style packaging, it's since faded to darkest brown, except on my ends which are prone to colour buildup. Again, it left my hair feeling a bit like straw but after deep conditioning with oils it looks really shiny, and it's nothing like the bird's nest I was left with when I tried Colorsilk. It stank to high heaven but still - unlike ammonia-free Colorsilk - never burned. I've also tried the Deep Golden Brown (what can I say, it was a freebie and I get bored easily) and although it didn't lift my darker colour at all despite what it showed on the box, it gave my hair a rich colour and evened it out very well. I now realise I have to concentrate on applying to my roots, just pulling the colour through to my ends for the last five minutes to avoid colour build-up.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by beecky

I've been using this for years. I have long, pretty thick naturally dark ash blonde hair and have been dying it a dark ash brown/almost black color for years. This is always my dye of choice, especially when I can't afford to go to a salon which is usually the case nowadays. My hair always turns out great, feeling very healthy with a brilliant shine. I use the color dark brown which is now called "Brasilia". It's the darkest brown I think there is in the line, and the color is very true to the one on the box. I know this may not be the case for all shades, but this color in the shade I use is absolutely perfect. I tried Feria once and it was awful ! However Preference is wonderful. I can't believe how shiny and healthy my hair feels after dying it. It's fantastic :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2013 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Obezyanka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh my gosh where to start... Okay the (few) negatives.

It can get messy.
The gloves were a little small for my boyfriend's man hands, but we're used to this.
It doesn't smell great like my old favorite Garnier Nutrisse.

But THE COLOR was INCREDIBLE!!! It was exactly like the box.

*I used Light Amber Brown because after extensive bleaching the lower ends of my hair would turn green-grey from anything labeled "ash" or "neutral/natural".
*The color is vibrant and shiny and more like what the ads will make you expect from Feria (although I've never gotten these results with Feria...)
*This product did not irritate my scalp like SO many others I've tried over the years, and my hair feels soft. I sometimes get that dreaded stretchy melted plastic hair after coloring but not this time. And my hair has been bleached in the past so...

ANYWAYS the best part about this product was the shocking discovery I made about my hair. I have naturally dark blonde hair. It's mousey, ashy, and dingy which is why I began dying it in the first place. And you always hear "Stay close to your natural color, keep to your natural tone" so for years I've been using ash tones and staying away from warmer shades for fear of looking like a carrot....And while this worked well for my platinum hair which was NEVER brassy, once I got into the darker blondes and browns I realized my hair just looked DULL. And so in search of ends that do not turn green I bought this "amber" color. And omg... My skin looks amazing. My blue-grey eyes look amazing. I don't look weird and sallow and all this time I'd assumed since I'm naturally ashen haired I'd look bad with a red tint. I'm pale but not pink and I struggle to find makeup to suit but I never imagined this would work for me. My whole hair dye outlook is changed!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by Fluffysealion

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have black hair and used the colour 5A medium ash brown. I don't think that the colour I ended up with was the same as on the packaging, but that's to be expected when you have dark hair like mine. It did do a very good job of dying my black hair without bleach, and the colour isn't as ash brown as I expected, but still a very nice colour. The colour didn't wash out when I showered.

My only complaint is the smell. The smell was very strong, stronger than most home dye kits.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by panizak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It won't give you the colour that shows on, or at the back of the box. not even close! I have medium ash brown hair and the only reason I dye my hair is because of my grey hairs. I just used an "ash" shade of this hair colour to dye my roots and now my roots has an awful copper/red shine, and it doesn't look "ash" brown at all! It has orange undertone:(
I am so upset, and recommend you not to use this product at all! Don't even try it or you would regret like me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by brownsugarncutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's been about 2 months since the salon and my roots have grown about an inch. My hair was dark ash brown but my roots were black. I used the 7.5 medium ash blonde. I did the roots first and then the rest of my head. The whole process took up about an hour but this was not my first time dying my own hair so it may take longer for the first timers.

I am pleased with the results. The color matches what is on the box almost perfectly and my color is even all over. The damage was very minimal even though I went several shades lighter. I adore the big tube of conditioner that comes in the box.

I think this dye is a great value for what you get. I have very long hair so I used two boxes and they only cost $10 each. My color looks like it was done at a salon. Totally worth the $20.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I recently bought this in Paris Couture Iced Golden Brown 5CG. My hair is naturally a light auburn brown, but I have a lot of gray. My hair is very coarse, extremely thick, and tends to be dry. I am in LOVE with this color. It came out exactly like the front of the box, and is a beautiful light golden brown with some definite cooler tones. A bit messy/drippy, but not so bad I couldn't deal with it. I will definitely repurchase several boxes of this to keep in stock!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Luiance

My hair is black and hard to dye (Asian hair), so when I saw a video on a L'Oreal hair dye and the youtuber used this brand with fantastic results, I decided to try it too. Usually I'll need a blonde hair dye to make my hair brown, but this time I chose the Light Natural Brown. First of all, when the developer and the color gel is mixed together, the chemical smell is horrific. My eyes stung and I had to keep my face away while mixing the dye. Revlon's $3 cheap dye never smelled this terrible. The dye is drippy but application process went relatively okay. After waiting for 35 minutes, I rinsed it out and used the conditioner. The results? ORANGE roots. I applied tips of my hair first and moved upwards, last on the roots, and this was how it turned out. It looked akin to the brassiness of 2-month-old dyed hair. The rest of my hair didn't hold the color at all. What a waste of 9 dollars.
I will go back to using blonde hair dyes from Revlon.

Two lippies because the conditioner is pretty good and there was a generous amount.