L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

on 3/30/2015 6:18:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this hair colour in the shade RP07 Intense Red Copper after going through a rough patch with 'favourite' drugstore haircolour, Garnier Olia. I've been dying my hair at home for 5+ years, dabbling with a few shades here and there but for the most part, I am a dye-hard (sorry for the awful pun) redhead. Despite being told that dyeing your hair at home is horrible for hair health, and it is destined to not turn out, I have had many compliments from strangers and stylists alike on my straight from the box, red locks! As any "false" redheads like myself know, red is an all or nothing colour, go big or go home. Semi-permanent dye will not give you the vibrant results you are looking for since red colouring loses pigment faster than any other hair dye colour tenfold. I have tried dyeing my hair with semi and demi permanent dye time and time again and it simply never looks as vibrant and beautiful. Naturally as a result, dyed redheads will find their hair to be more damaged because if you want to upkeep your brilliant colour, it isn't going to be getting much of a break from the ammonia. Despite all this however, I take very, very good care of my hair and as a result, only suffer from the odd split end here and there. I am constantly going to a salon and getting a proper trim, or snipping off split/broken ends at home with barber shears and using masks and little heat on my hair because healthy hair = more vibrant, even colour.

Anyways....this shade had come to my attention while watching a commercial for Superior Preference and I was just blown away by how the shade had looked like what I had always envisioned for myself as a redhead. Since this shade of red is a Level 7, versus my previous colour which was Level 6, I needed to let my hair go for an extra long time without dyeing it that way I could remove a good portion of the darker dye before going in with a slightly lighter shade (for reference, my natural hair colour is a Level 6). I waited 4 months in between colourings and god my roots looked brutal. My strategy worked and when I went to dye my hair with Superior Preference which was about a month ago, the colour was able to lighten my hair sufficiently so there was no unevenness, or line between the freshly dyed root and previous colour. In terms of the dyeing experience, it wasn't terribly unlike others. Two things which I noted however was that the smell of the dye was particularly potent which was a bit unpleasant, and the dye was quite thin and drippy likely as a result of the colorant being a liquid formula versus the more typical cream formula. Usually when dyeing my hair, I apply the colour to the roots only and about 5-10 minutes before I need to rinse out the colour, I apply it to the rest of my hair to freshen up the colour. Since I was changing shades this time however, I applied the dye to my entire head and left it on for the full processing time which I believe was about 25 minutes. The dye washed out fairly easily, and I followed up with a keratin moisture mask. No hot roots were experienced.

It has been about a month since I dyed my hair and I must say that I am very pleased with how well the colour has maintained itself. Usually when I take a shower and wash my hair, there is a fair bit of red dye that comes off on the white towel (this washes off in the washing machine) and with this dye, I get practically none. The dream of every redhead out there. The colour is also that perfect shade that I have always wanted, more of a 'natural' redhead shade but still quite vibrant. I am incredibly displeased with the health of my hair however. I fully understand that when you dye your hair, you leave it susceptible to damage, I wasn't born yesterday. It is the nature of an otherwise pleasant beast. The degree of damage that this left my hair in is like nothing I've ever experienced before, my hair has been in better condition after being bleached at the salon!! My hair is broken in ways I had no idea breakage even existed...broken in 8 places, 5+ split ends coming out of the very same strand. Brutal. My hair was in excellent condition for coloured hair before and now it is on the bad side. I plan on getting a few inches taken off at the salon immediately before the damage works its way up the strand. For that reason alone, I cannot recommend this dye. I am incredibly pleased with the colour and genuinely hope that I can find another dye that gives me the same beautiful result that will not take such a toll on the health of my hair. Healthy hair is essential to good colour and if the colour is damaging my hair to such an extent, there isn't any point to colouring it. If your hair colour doesn't require quite as much maintenance then you will probably be very satisfied with this dye but otherwise, don't even bother.

on 2/17/2015 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Not too sure why there are so many poor/mediocre reviews on this product ! I personally love this hair color. I suppose everyone's hair is different, which is probably the main reason reviews are so mixed. For reference, my hair is long and dark ash brown. It's naturally wavy and thick, but fine in individual texture. My hair is not damaged, as I baby it very much lol. I've had damaged hair in the past, but over the years I now consider myself a bit of a hair connoisseur. I know how to repair the most damaged hair, and I know the best products to make hair healthy and strong. It's taken years, mind you, but on to the review ! This stuff is fairly thick, so it doesn't drip much. It gives nice coverage, coating hair without need for too much product. But the most important thing is, this color makes my hair feel silky and smooth after coloring ! Most dyes leave hair dry or stringy, but this stuff makes my hair feel amazing. It's also a beautiful color ! I use either medium ash brown or dark brown, I mix it up. This is the only drugstore color I have ever liked. I've tried Nice N' Easy, Loreal Feria, Garnier Nutrisse, Garnier Olia, and none compare. This stuff just leaves my hair shiny, and the color is so rich. It lasts a long time, too. Just take care of it by using color safe shampoo, and a nice rich condirioner. I can't wait to dye my hair when I use this because I know it'll be a great few hair days ! haha definite repurchase :)

on 1/12/2015 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I give up. I cannot find an at-home hair color that will not turn my dark brown roots red. For reference, I have dark brown hair and all I want to do is cover some grays; I used the color dark ash brown specifically to counter the red roots that inevitably seem to happen with dark brown dye. The red is not as bad as Nutrisse, but the overall effect still looks cheap. I guess I'l have to go the salon, which is frustrating because my hair color is so single process and boring I feel I should be able to do this at home! Also, the smell that others have mentioned isn't awful, just persistent...I'm still smelling it on my hair after washing. And it did leave my hair drier than usual.

on 1/6/2015 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This review is of 8.5 Champagne Blonde.

I have light brown hair the same color as the last 'before' picture on the package. This dye is terrible. It turned my hair red. More specifically: Child's Play orange. Even after a second application it only turned it more orange.

Worst hairdye I've ever used, and I've used plenty.

on 12/12/2014 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This colour (8.3 Champagne) was terrible!! it told me to leave it in for 30mins which i did (no indication you could leave it longer) and my blondish/light brown hair went redish and hasnt lightened at all despite the indication it would. My hair was not too dark for the product to begin with, this stuff sucks

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My hair is naturally a very dark brown and I bought black luminére dye. It was a blackish blue color. When I washed my hair 2 days later, the water and the shampoo were the color of the hair dye. I didn't think anything of it because generally some hair dye still washes out when you wash your hair for the first time. I did notice there were quite a few brown spots already though. Then the second time I washed it a pretty good amount of hair dye was still coming out. After I blow dried my hair I checked and noticed that there were even more brown patches. Now it's been 5 days since I dyed my hair and a lot of dye is still visible in the water when I wash it. Not to mention, my roots are basically all brown and are even lighter than they were before I dyed my hair. The length of my hair is still dark black though. I am having to go to the salon to get this fixed. I DO NOT recommend this brand for dark hair dye.

on 11/30/2014 8:07:00 AM

Don't do it, DO NOT BUY THIS! I'm pretty easy going with my hair. It grows quickly and I can always do somehing to make a bad cut or color better. I bought this to match my natural color to take out my brassy ends from sun bleaching. I made sure to buy Ash Brown since my hair pulls red. I followed the directions and actually applied roots after ends to avoid problems. WELL..... I ended up with hot roots. Bad hot roots. I've never had this in my life. My length died quite dark, almont black (probably my fault a bit since they were lighter) and very flat color. But the roots! They turned a blond ginger color. I'm naturally a dark, cool brunette. FML.
I've already scrubbed the length with Dawn Dish soap and baking soda to remove excess color (no change) and did a Vitamin C + head and Shoulders soak to lighten (def helped). Then applied a different brown color (Garnier Belle Color, really liked it) but the roots are still hot, just not as bad. Not clue what I'll do, probably put my tail between my legs and go to the salon.
I've used box dye before, for the last 17 years, but not regularly. Its probably been a good 7 years since my last use.
Other comments: the smell really is horrible. I thought the other reviewers were just being whiney but this is bad. I have a super-duper bathroom fan and I almost choked. The product really is so liquidy it makes extra mess and it hard to pile your hair up on top of your head.
If you've already bought this and haven't used it, and are reading reviews: Return it. Throw it out. Do whatever but its not worth it!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a review for the colour Fiji or Dark Ash Blonde

Natural hair: thick black (asian) hair

Before: I had a dip dye style, half dark dark brown (processed) couple inches of roots, and platinum blonde on the bottom. I bleached the top part to a level 5-6 orange-gold. Waited a day in between bleaching and toning/dyeing

What I wanted: Lightest brown or dark blonde, ashy tones or at least neutralize the bright orange hair

What I got: Light brown on top, which gets a little brassy pretty fast. (But it doesn't look like I just bleached it and left it orange) (Acceptable) Dark ash blonde on the bottom where I had platinum. Started with a greenish tinge that washed out quickly (good)

My experience:
Put the product on for 20-30 minutes. I would have gone longer but there was a scab on my scalp I apparently didn't notice until that day. Overall I don't think my scalp liked it very much, but it had just bleached earlier in the day (I don't suggest it but I used this product like a toner).

The smell though. I've used this product on two separate occasions and it's like I wonder if I left on some residual bleach that mixed with the ammonia and created mustard gas. If I could do this outside, I would.

Also, I LOVE the conditioner. My hair has already been processed at least 7 times on the bottom and it makes it soo soft and shiny

Overall: Love this as a toner and I love the conditioner, but I might shop around for something that doesn't release such aggressive fumes.

I think I finally found my color. I had been lightening my naturally dark brown hair for a long time. I like dark ash blonde/light ash brown hair, but it's difficult to maintain. Also, I don't want to use bleach because it's is so damaging. I finally had enough of grown out roots and brassy hair. I used medium ash brown and am very happy with the results. I'm going to stay with brown colors and ash tones from now on.

on 11/15/2014 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm reviewing one of Loreal Preference's newest shades, 9DG Delicate Golden Blonde. I didn't see any other reviews on this, and I have to write this because this is one of the best colors I've used.
I had bright, bleachy, yellowy blonde before this, and decided I wanted to go a shade or two darker, because the yellow just looks unattractive. My hair LOVES to pull orange/yellow whenever I try to get it very light, so I decided to try a golden shade, so that it'd look more natural. When I went to Walmart, I was originally going to get the 8GB Golden Iredescent Blonde that my mom used a few weeks ago (it was too dark for her liking, but I liked it). Then I saw this new shade and liked the sound of the name, and picked this instead.
When I put it in my hair, I was a little nervous to see it turning ashy/grey. But I left it on anyway, and am so happy with the way it turned out! It's not a golden blonde, but a very natural, almost ashy blonde. Just like it says on the box, it's not brassy, even at my roots which were my natural light brown and ALWAYS turn orange. It didn't really darken my hair, but it toned it. The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is because the title of the color is misleading. If you're looking for an actual golden blonde, go for 8GB or maybe Garnier's Honey Butter. But if you want a nice, natural blonde with slight ash tones, go for this one.

Popular Hair Color Products