November 26, 2014 | 1468 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2014 11:08:00 PM More reviews by rainbowrivulets

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the colour Fiji or Dark Ash Blonde

Natural hair: thick black (asian) hair

Before: I had a dip dye style, half dark dark brown (processed) couple inches of roots, and platinum blonde on the bottom. I bleached the top part to a level 5-6 orange-gold. Waited a day in between bleaching and toning/dyeing

What I wanted: Lightest brown or dark blonde, ashy tones or at least neutralize the bright orange hair

What I got: Light brown on top, which gets a little brassy pretty fast. (But it doesn't look like I just bleached it and left it orange) (Acceptable) Dark ash blonde on the bottom where I had platinum. Started with a greenish tinge that washed out quickly (good)

My experience:
Put the product on for 20-30 minutes. I would have gone longer but there was a scab on my scalp I apparently didn't notice until that day. Overall I don't think my scalp liked it very much, but it had just bleached earlier in the day (I don't suggest it but I used this product like a toner).

The smell though. I've used this product on two separate occasions and it's like I wonder if I left on some residual bleach that mixed with the ammonia and created mustard gas. If I could do this outside, I would.

Also, I LOVE the conditioner. My hair has already been processed at least 7 times on the bottom and it makes it soo soft and shiny

Overall: Love this as a toner and I love the conditioner, but I might shop around for something that doesn't release such aggressive fumes.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2014 8:33:00 PM More reviews by HealthBeauty10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think I finally found my color. I had been lightening my naturally dark brown hair for a long time. I like dark ash blonde/light ash brown hair, but it's difficult to maintain. Also, I don't want to use bleach because it's is so damaging. I finally had enough of grown out roots and brassy hair. I used medium ash brown and am very happy with the results. I'm going to stay with brown colors and ash tones from now on.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2014 1:40:00 AM More reviews by fallenangel97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm reviewing one of Loreal Preference's newest shades, 9DG Delicate Golden Blonde. I didn't see any other reviews on this, and I have to write this because this is one of the best colors I've used.
I had bright, bleachy, yellowy blonde before this, and decided I wanted to go a shade or two darker, because the yellow just looks unattractive. My hair LOVES to pull orange/yellow whenever I try to get it very light, so I decided to try a golden shade, so that it'd look more natural. When I went to Walmart, I was originally going to get the 8GB Golden Iredescent Blonde that my mom used a few weeks ago (it was too dark for her liking, but I liked it). Then I saw this new shade and liked the sound of the name, and picked this instead.
When I put it in my hair, I was a little nervous to see it turning ashy/grey. But I left it on anyway, and am so happy with the way it turned out! It's not a golden blonde, but a very natural, almost ashy blonde. Just like it says on the box, it's not brassy, even at my roots which were my natural light brown and ALWAYS turn orange. It didn't really darken my hair, but it toned it. The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is because the title of the color is misleading. If you're looking for an actual golden blonde, go for 8GB or maybe Garnier's Honey Butter. But if you want a nice, natural blonde with slight ash tones, go for this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by BrunetteinBranson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My review is specifically for Dark Brown 4 (natural). I had been using Feria Espresso since I went back to brunette, but they were out of it, so I picked this because it's the closest I could find to it. I had previously used Superior Preference Dark Mahogany Brown for a couple of years but it comes out very dark and after awhile, your hair is just BLACK. Well, I wanted dark brown with definition and definitely NOT black. So, I got what I wanted with this shade. It's got definition and not totally black, but it is very dark right now. (I just colored it yesterday.) I am hoping after a couple of washes, it will lighten up to the Espresso color. So, it is close to Espresso in the Feria line but maybe a shade and a half or so darker? Of course, Superior Preference is to cover greys so that could be why it's darker, as well. It covered grey nicely and the after color conditioner is my favorite thing about this line... The after color conditioner in the Feria line is OK, too, but they need the Superior Preference conditioner for all their lines in my opinion. It is amazing. I like the color OK even if it is a touch darker than I was hoping for. But, it should fade nicely and be OK. So, yes I recommend this color to anyone looking for a dark brown with definition.
*UPDATE* It's been two weeks now since I used this hair color. It has lightened up quite a bit. It is pretty much an exact match for the Espresso color in the Feria line. I am happy.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by LydiaGee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted a nice deep black hair dye because I wanted to get back to my "roots." I found L'Oreal Superior Preference Paris Lumiere in 2BL Black Sapphire.
It's a level 2 black hair dye with a cool blue tone.
Pros = After mixing the bottles together, you get a lot for your price ($10.29). I have thick hair down to my bra strap and 1 bottle covered 3/4 of my head. Applying it was easy. The smell was not toxic unless it was right next to my nose. The color came out a very deep blue black just as it is shown on the box. The conditioner smelled amazing and my hair was soft and shiny.
Cons = 6 weeks later, the dye is still washing out. I know that all hair dyes fade but I don't expect to see blue in the shampoo when I'm washing my hair six weeks later. I wonder how long this will last. The color has faded to a natural black. Instead of looking a cool deep blue black, it is just a natural black although, it is a level 2 hair color. L'Oreal's hair dye is too harsh for me because it dried out my hair. I won't use it again. I will stick to Revlon, Garnier, and Dark and Lovely.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by BlackHoleDiver

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've experimented with different shades of darkest brown and black.
I tried Vidal and L'oreal Paris Ultimate Black shade 1. The Vidal was alright, easy to apply, very little drip, but after using the Ultimate twice, I think I'm staying here for a while. The color is less inky and it doesn't fade. I have no greys but I imagine the color would stick to them as well. The result is a very deep, raven black that doesn't look painted, if you know what I mean. Of course, anyone who knows you probably knows your true color, but after traveling across the full rainbow, I settled on black because it just feels cool, to be honest. I'm half Italian so my natural color is brown. Black is just one step further.
What I like: this brand is fragrant, spreads well and I only need one box if my hair is at or above the shoulders. It's longer now, so I use a box and a half. The price isn't bad. Revlon is much cheaper but I've never tried their black before.
What's wrong: it drips. Everywhere. It will get on your skin and clothes and countertop. It washes off skin within days but my counter hasn't recovered. Thank God it's a dumb cheap apartment bathroom. I might try a different box next time, but I do like this color.
Bottom line: the end result was enough to bring me back but they should improve this shade's developer so I don't create a mess.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by CroatBoat

I got medium ash brown. My hair is naturally medium-light brown and I color it darker because it suits my dark eyes better (I cant attest to whether it covers grays). Unfortunately my last color faded into brassyness. This put some rich dark color back into my hair without coming close to black. I have mid back length hair and needed 1.5 bottles. So its a bit pricey for 2 but manageable.

One thing ill do differently next time is to get a proper shower cap to cover it while its developing. I used a plastic bag and my roots were exposed a bit and that part wasnt darkened as much, coincidentally.
But the conditioner is really nice. Lots of shine.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by perisnale

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

so fun fact i bought this in the shade 7 1/2 'medium ash blonde' by accident - i was originally planning on getting the excellence creme in the similar shade 8.1 'natural ash blonde,' but being tired and jetlagged in cvs i just grabbed the first loreal box that looked right. i don't know if i should have exchanged it - i ended up using the superior preference anyways last night, and while there seems to be minimal to no damage (the conditioner is great and smells amazing) there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of change. my hair before dying was a medium/dark warm brown with about an inch of black roots, and after dying the only change seems to be that the brown is more neutral (due to the ash) and my roots are dark brown.

i'll give the colour about a week and maybe come back, since in the past i've experienced significant lightening after a couple shampoos with other hair dyes, but at the moment i'm pretty disappointed. i was aiming for a light neutral brown, and was hoping that the 7 1/2, being a couple shades lighter than my desired result, could help me achieve that.

i will add, though, that although my hair is pretty thin it's pretty dye resistant, so if the colour doesn't lighten eventually i may redye with either the same colour or a shade lighter. apart from the disappointing results the overall dye experience was quite nice.

PROS:
- smells bearable
- easy to apply gel
- gloves fit
- conditioner is great and there's a good amount of it (supposed to last sixes uses)
- no damage on fine/normal hair

CONS:
- minimal colour change on medium/dark brown hair (originally black)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/7/2014 1:09:00 AM More reviews by sunshine702

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Loreal Performing preference has gorgeous unique blonde options. I tried Rose Gold on the night I saw my first grey /white hairs coming in. I'm in a service industry and needed to look young or I will end up being let go. I loved the color a really glamorous warm blonde but it didn't cover my grays at all. If I were younger definately but I need gray coverage in my hair dye even if the color isn't as good.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by jianing23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

color was okay, i had 3 Brasilia, very natural black with a golden brown undertone

however really damaged my hair :/