Baking Soda & Corn Starch

4.6

Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch

This literally works better than commercial deodorants. You'll still sweat, but it won't cause yellow stains on light colored clothes because this doesn't contain aluminum like most other deodorants. I cannot recommend this enough. I know it seems too good to be true, but just try it and you'll see.

I'll start this review by saying, I'm a sweaty Betty. A stinky pinky. A funky punky. Then, I have the nerve to work out 4 days a week! With the aforementioned being said, I have to try 2 times as hard as another person to keep my hygiene in check. Reapplying twice a day. Scrubbing my pits, drinking hella water, avoiding pungent foods...Yeah, you get it.

So, I've done this several ways. I did the "stick" version of this, where you add shea butter, tea tree, coconut oil, the BC/CS, and some organic beeswax to make it stick together in a solid form. Yeah, no. The shea butter kept my pits in a constant state of greasiness (even after the detox period), which my sweaty pits loved because it now had someone to join the sweat party. Then, the weirdest thing would occur; my pits would smell okay, but my shirt, after getting wet from my sweat would STINK. I mean, STANK. So, I'd rub my stick on the outside of the shirt (if I had it with me, otherwise I'd have to just walk around like a penguin), and the smell would go away, SOMETIMES (emphasis on sometimes). I've seen this mentioned by two different women on blogs that recommended this combination after I scoured the net trying to figure out what's wrong with me. But, I continued to use it. After about 4 weeks of use, I developed a rash so bad it hurt when I closed my arms. On to the next plan...

I then did this with 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 of the BC/CS each. It worked for the first month, while I was off on winter break. I thought, "man, life is great, I cracked my own stank code." Then, I went back to work. I'm an instructor, so I do not sit down. I am constantly walking around, assisting my students as I work in a computer lab. It was during my first class back, I smelled something a bit stinky. Then, came to the realization that it was me, funky punky (again). After class was over, I realized that again, the sweat got on my shirt and made it smell, while my underarms smelled decent. I continued to use it, but adding a reg. deo (Dove) to the outsides of my shirt, but not on my skin. If I even missed one spot of the Dove, that area would get an odor. Just dangit weird!

Fast forward to now, a rash is starting to develop :/. Plus, for the last few days, it's just not working for me anymore like it used to. Today, during my workout class, the teacher cracked a window. I kinda feel like I had something to do with that. Oops, LOL. With the impeding rash, and having to use alum. deo. on the outsides of my shirt (and avoiding my dark/black shirts because of this), I think this is it for me. I may try it in the powder form, but I am reluctant to try it because, well, I need more.

Wrote this review for my fellow punkies and Bettys out there. It DOES help control odor, but, be aware that it may cause the stinky shirt phenomenon and/or stop working all together. But, the show must go on and I will continue to scour the net. Ending off on a disappointing note, I cannot recommend this.

Ps: if you know of something that works for people like me, that's alum. and paraben free, drop me a line!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This does work, but it is too unpractical and inconvenient for me to keep using it. In the summer it does leave a residue on clothes. Putting it in a roller ball applicator would be a solution, but in the winter I would need to transfer it too something else. In the winter it has a drier texture, making it crumbly and messy. It's easy for this to get on my clothes, roll onto the floor...(I'm talking about the coconut oil/baking soda/corn starch)

I've had poor luck with store bough natural deodorants, but I'm going to try spraying witch hazel. Antibacterial like vinegar, but the smell is more neutral.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using a natural deodorant for 2 years. I mix up the following in a little glass jar:
-2 tbsp baking soda; 2 tbsp corn starch; 3 tbsp coconut oil

I will never go back to commercial deodorant. This works. Like everyone else said, you may still sweat a bit in summer, but no odor!

When switching to natural from chemical deodorant, you may go through a 'detox' period where it seems it's not working - but stay with it and give your skin time to adjust.

Remember, the trick, too, is to exfoliate every so often. I usually do so the same day I exfoliate my face - about once a week with honey/brown sugar.

This stuff works. I copied the ratio given by the ladies here, it worked but for about 6-8 hours only. I figured it could be improved so I tweaked it and added few drops of tea tree oil (anti bacterial, anti fungal, etc) and it worked absolutely fabulous!!! No stinkies for more than 24hours 💕💕💕

You will still sweat, but no stink. Downside for me is that the stuff "crumbles" and it would show if you are wearing tank tops, you need to dust it off

EDIT: I developed a rash in the creases (red, linear) on both armpits :( I stopped using it first, applied hydrocortisone. Will stop using first. Hopefully I can find make the rash go away. When it does, i Will add more cornstarch and oil to the mixture, and will follow the advice of using acv+water toner prior to using the BS+CS coconut oil paste

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

makeupalley - you did it again!
i've been searching for a natural alternative to the drugstore deodorant for quite some time. found nothing that would make me buy them again. they promise a lot, most (but not all) smell good, but they fail to deliver and can be quite expensive too.
makeupalley to the rescue. after reading all the reviews, i was worried that baking soda could be too abrasive, so I started with 2/3 organic corn starch and 1/3 of baking soda.
added just a tbs of virgin organic coconut oil to keep the dry ingredients from flying everywhere. i am truly amazed - this wonderful mixture works like a charm.
i happen to like the smell of unrefined coconut oil, so i did not add any essential oils to the mix. but you can add a few drops of your favorite eo, depending on your needs and olfactory preferences.
put it into a charming glass container with a wide opening. with a fluffy makeup brush from target, applying it is not only functional, but feel luxurious. kind of like applying finishing powder when you take time with your makeup. love it!
no plastic tubes, no rubbing baking soda with sensitive fingertips. btw, it leaves absolutely no white residue on your clothing. none!
thank you all for sharing this wonderful natural deodorant. so easy to make, so healthy and easy for everyday use.

NO deodorant kept me from stinking even though I never perspire. Strong antiperspirants are just that: strongly medicated to stop sweating, not odor, so that doesn't help me. THIS IS THE FIRST THING THAT HAS EVER TOTALLY STOPPED ME FROM STINKING when I smell myself the next day. I washed my armpits and wiped them with Listerine before testing it but I have used the concoction for days in a row since then without re-washing and I still smell like nothing but the optional few drops of lavender oil I added to the coconut oil/cornstarch/baking soda mix. BTW, the recipe is simple: everything is a one-to-one ratio. IDK why they say 1/4 cup each of the dry goods and 4 tablespoons of oil when 4 tbs is equivalent to 1/4 cup! 1-to-1 ratios of everything makes it easy to make however much you want at once. Heat the coconut oil first so the powders will mix well before it solidifies. I put my batch in a washed small jar of baby food and labeled it properly so no one would accidentally eat it, ha ha.

I will NEVER buy commercial deodorant again, which has environmentally unfriendly plastic packaging we throw out in addition to being less effective.

I am s h o c k e d this works to well. Seriously.

I went to an outdoor concert, in the summer, it was hot. My deodorant completely failed me, I sat there with my arms glued to my sides. I went on this trusty web-site and after reading the reviews thought I would give this a try. Here's what I do: I wash my armpits with an antiseptic cleanser that you find in the first aid section of Walgreens or whatever. I scrub with a washcloth to get all dead skin cells off. Then right out of the shower while my skin is still damp, I take a cosmetic pad - (the ones used for compacts - cost me about 1.99 for three of them) covered with the magic formula 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 cornstarch and pat not rub onto my arm pits, several times until they were covered with a thick layer. I then walk around brushing my teeth etc. I leave it on there for a few minutes, then I pat (not rub) my arm pits with a dry towel or washcloth over the sink to let any dust fall into the sink. It doesn't look like I have anything on my skin. The first day I secretly smelled myself during the day, nothing, all I could smell was my fabric softener on my cloths. It was amazing. The real test came when I helped my daughter move. I didn't take a shower that morning and I didn't apply this again -- this was on day 2, I was moving heavy stuff in August in 90 degree weather for a few hours.... nothing. I smelled like nothing.... I will update if this starts to irritate my skin as I've read that on other reviews but there might be ways to help that too... unless that happens I am NEVER buying store bought deodorant again.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

It has been a long time since I felt I needed to write a review about a product, but I really am blown away by how well this works. I am 37 and have been a "sweaty" person under my arms since my teenage years. Not only do I sweat (which is fine because we're supposed to), but something about my body chemistry makes deodorants/anti-perspirants smell really bad on me...almost like BO, but sometimes worse. I can't use any Secret deodorants for that reason, and there are certain Dove scents I can't wear. I have tried Certain-Dri in the past with a lot of success, but also had to deal with irritation and itching which made me ultimately stop using it. A couple nights ago while on MUA, I glanced over to some other reviews on the side of the page, and noticed that the baking soda and cornstarch concoction got 4.7 lippies. I had no idea what it was used for but read the reviews because it got such a high rating. I was surprised to find out it was for a natural deodorant. I was very skeptical. This is an issue I've dealt with for 25 years and I wasn't convinced that swiping on some powder, stuff I already have in the house, will keep me 100% odor free in the NC summer. I tried it. It works. It works REALLY well. First I tried mixing 1 pt baking soda to 1 part cornstarch (I used Up & Up baby cornstarch) and making a paste with coconut oil. I didn't like that because I felt it was too scratchy trying to rub it under my arms. And it was very messy. What I do now is moisturize my underarms with a little coconut oil so it feels a little bit tacky, then dust on a generous amount of the BS/CS mix with a large powder brush. It kept me 100% odor free while wearing a sleeveless shirt on a 95 degree day walking in the sun. I never felt like I was pouring sweat either. My clothes never showed sweat marks. I felt a little damp under my arms, but again, I don't mind because that's why we have sweat glands. I honestly don't ever see myself buying a commercial deodorant/anti-perspirant again since this really, truly works better than anything I have ever used. This is why MUA is so awesome!!!

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

A fantastic deodorant. I first tried this because of the rave reviews on Makeupalley, and I'm so glad I did. I have searched for years for an effective, non-irritating 'natural' deodorant and it looks like I've finally found it.

The proportions can vary, but I've been using two parts baking soda and organic cornstarch to one part coconut oil. Mix thoroughly, pour into a clean jar, et voila! The mixture sets solid in cooler weather and softens when it's warm but this does not affect its effectiveness, and it melts readily against the skin. I use a clean teaspoon to remove a small amount each time and apply with my fingers. It keeps me fresh for at least 24 hours, which is longer than commercial deodorants. It does not stop sweating, but in my book that's no bad thing. The important thing is that it deals completely with odour and you can be confident it will work.

I can't recommend this highly enough. I don't think anyone who gave this a go would be tempted to use a commercial product again - and the bonus is it is also cheap!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products