Baking Soda & Corn Starch

Price: $

Price: $

Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch

on 8/4/2015 1:17:00 PM

I am s h o c k e d this works to well. Seriously.

I went to an outdoor concert, in the summer, it was hot. My deodorant completely failed me, I sat there with my arms glued to my sides. I went on this trusty web-site and after reading the reviews thought I would give this a try. Here's what I do: I wash my armpits with an antiseptic cleanser that you find in the first aid section of Walgreens or whatever. I scrub with a washcloth to get all dead skin cells off. Then right out of the shower while my skin is still damp, I take a cosmetic pad - (the ones used for compacts - cost me about 1.99 for three of them) covered with the magic formula 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 cornstarch and pat not rub onto my arm pits, several times until they were covered with a thick layer. I then walk around brushing my teeth etc. I leave it on there for a few minutes, then I pat (not rub) my arm pits with a dry towel or washcloth over the sink to let any dust fall into the sink. It doesn't look like I have anything on my skin. The first day I secretly smelled myself during the day, nothing, all I could smell was my fabric softener on my cloths. It was amazing. The real test came when I helped my daughter move. I didn't take a shower that morning and I didn't apply this again -- this was on day 2, I was moving heavy stuff in August in 90 degree weather for a few hours.... nothing. I smelled like nothing.... I will update if this starts to irritate my skin as I've read that on other reviews but there might be ways to help that too... unless that happens I am NEVER buying store bought deodorant again.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

It has been a long time since I felt I needed to write a review about a product, but I really am blown away by how well this works. I am 37 and have been a "sweaty" person under my arms since my teenage years. Not only do I sweat (which is fine because we're supposed to), but something about my body chemistry makes deodorants/anti-perspirants smell really bad on me...almost like BO, but sometimes worse. I can't use any Secret deodorants for that reason, and there are certain Dove scents I can't wear. I have tried Certain-Dri in the past with a lot of success, but also had to deal with irritation and itching which made me ultimately stop using it. A couple nights ago while on MUA, I glanced over to some other reviews on the side of the page, and noticed that the baking soda and cornstarch concoction got 4.7 lippies. I had no idea what it was used for but read the reviews because it got such a high rating. I was surprised to find out it was for a natural deodorant. I was very skeptical. This is an issue I've dealt with for 25 years and I wasn't convinced that swiping on some powder, stuff I already have in the house, will keep me 100% odor free in the NC summer. I tried it. It works. It works REALLY well. First I tried mixing 1 pt baking soda to 1 part cornstarch (I used Up & Up baby cornstarch) and making a paste with coconut oil. I didn't like that because I felt it was too scratchy trying to rub it under my arms. And it was very messy. What I do now is moisturize my underarms with a little coconut oil so it feels a little bit tacky, then dust on a generous amount of the BS/CS mix with a large powder brush. It kept me 100% odor free while wearing a sleeveless shirt on a 95 degree day walking in the sun. I never felt like I was pouring sweat either. My clothes never showed sweat marks. I felt a little damp under my arms, but again, I don't mind because that's why we have sweat glands. I honestly don't ever see myself buying a commercial deodorant/anti-perspirant again since this really, truly works better than anything I have ever used. This is why MUA is so awesome!!!

on 7/13/2015 4:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

A fantastic deodorant. I first tried this because of the rave reviews on Makeupalley, and I'm so glad I did. I have searched for years for an effective, non-irritating 'natural' deodorant and it looks like I've finally found it.

The proportions can vary, but I've been using two parts baking soda and organic cornstarch to one part coconut oil. Mix thoroughly, pour into a clean jar, et voila! The mixture sets solid in cooler weather and softens when it's warm but this does not affect its effectiveness, and it melts readily against the skin. I use a clean teaspoon to remove a small amount each time and apply with my fingers. It keeps me fresh for at least 24 hours, which is longer than commercial deodorants. It does not stop sweating, but in my book that's no bad thing. The important thing is that it deals completely with odour and you can be confident it will work.

I can't recommend this highly enough. I don't think anyone who gave this a go would be tempted to use a commercial product again - and the bonus is it is also cheap!

on 7/11/2015 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've been on a natural kick lastly and have been trying all kind of diy's to see how good they are.I have to say I was very surprised with the performance of this.I tested it in 99 degree weather and while working out,it withheld both.Still smelled fresh like I had just put it on and I couldn't smell coconut unless I lifted my arm.I'm sorry to say but this stuff could put other deodorants out of business. The only negative is finding a good convenient package for it.The recipe I used: 1/2 cup each CS and BS and 4Tbsp coconut oil.Also there was no irritation using it.

i have not been able to use antiperspirants for years due to my breaking out in a rash when i do. tried the sensitive skin stuff, plain deodorants, etc. i have been mildly successful with the crystal rock and such but still looking for something that did a better job. i have found it!
i had previously whipped up some coconut oil (you read that right, i put the electric mixer to it) to make it a smoother consistency and this i used as a moisturizer. per the suggestions on this site i then added baking soda and cornstarch. today was my first day using this concoction and i am VERY pleased. no odor!
as some have mentioned, you will sweat but that is natural and ok. the odor, however, will be gone and that is what i was really looking for all along.

on 2/5/2014 6:43:00 PM

As someone who suffers from intertrigo, I have been struggling for over a year to come up with a solution to keep flare-ups at bay. I have a Rx but that only seems to moderately work and flare-ups keep occurring. I finally had a "duh" moment and figured out that stopping the sweat might go miles and miles towards a "cure."

I haven't used anti-perspirants (AP) for years and years - I use Crystal spray and roll-on for deoderant purposes (which is awesome btw), but that's it. Trying to stay away from commercial AP, I 1st tried this. It works really well on 2 of my 3 areas, but where the industrial sweating occurs, this isn't strong enough. Now granted, i have not messed round w/ different levels of the ingredients, (I used 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch and 4+ tbsp coconut oil.) That actually works on 2 of my affected areas, but not where the industrial sweating occurs. I am very pleased w/ the fact it works well on 2 of the areas. Where I need super maximum strength = Dove Clinical workx great. I may fudge around w/ the recipe to see if I can tweak it to control ALL sweating, but for now, will use up the current mix.

My dermo was very impressed w/ the level of resolution on the 2 areas - he even asked for the recipe to give to others if interested.

Price: other than the 15-20 dollars for a tub of coconut oil, the price is almost free. (coconut oil is a major staple in my house for all my beauty needs).

Packaging: there isn't any! well other than the box that the baking soda comes in and the plastic tub of the C.O. it gets a five for eco-friendliness.

overall rating: 5/5

Why?: well, I didn't follow the recipes online to a tea. I just mixed a couple tablespoons of C.O. with a couple tablespoons of B.S. until it was formidable. it didn't have a major smell, mostly like the coconut oil. i put it on my armpits like I usually did with regular store bought poop.

this said, it's been about 9-10 hours since I've applied. in a normal situation with my pretty smelling store bought stuff, I'd begin to smell like sweat again by now. but I just checked my arm pits after forgetting about them for the day... and there is zero smell.

I know, they don't smell pretty anymore. no more coconut smell. but I'm ok with that. they don't smell like BO. and it cost me very little to make this. and it's healthier.

if I wake up in the morning without a disgusting smell of the century, then I know I will never go back to regular stuff. if I do, then I'll just try again and see how a few days - a week work.

on 1/24/2014 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Don't bother with any other natural deodorant. In fact, don't bother with any commercial deodorant period. This stuff is cheap, easy to make, and it works! It works better than crystal deodorants, better than "shower fresh" sticks that are tested on animals. 1/4 cups of each plus 4 tbsp of oil (I use coconut) makes me about a year's worth.

on 1/13/2014 1:57:00 PM

I've used this for a while and it has been effective in keeping me odorless throughout the day. It does not stop me from sweating which isn't a problem since people are supposed to sweat.

I mix these with coconut oil to help spread it to my underarms, a couple of drops of tea tree oil for added anti-fungal properties and lavender oil for the same reason and a bit of fragrance.

I noticed a significant change in my underarms. First of all, I never get ingrown hair anymore and the cystic breakouts I had from using deodorant disappeared. My underarms are also significantly lighter in color.

My only concern is application. It's messy.

on 1/10/2014 7:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I struggled with bad BO until I discovered baking soda! Nothing else truly worked. I would start to smell a couple of hours after I showered. Now I'm stink free thanks to baking soda. My HG deodorant!

I tried different mixes, some great and some not so great. Then I read somewhere that baking soda combats odor while corn starch combats sweating. As my true issue was just the odor, I started patting baking soda in the area right after I showered. It was messy but worked for the last 2 years! Then recently my sister struggled with the smell issue. I told her about my solution. While she liked it she found it very messy. She came up with a method that we both love. Put baking soda in a container. She uses an old face cream jar, I use an old yogurt container. Wet a cotton pad and press it to the baking soda (with this method a little goes a long way). Then swipe your underarm with the pad. This way you can do it whenever you need it and are not restricted to just after a shower.

I highly recommend giving this a try. Natural and cheap.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products