October 23, 2014 | 1270 users online

Deodorants - Baking Soda & Corn Starch

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

As someone who suffers from intertrigo, I have been struggling for over a year to come up with a solution to keep flare-ups at bay. I have a Rx but that only seems to moderately work and flare-ups keep occurring. I finally had a "duh" moment and figured out that stopping the sweat might go miles and miles towards a "cure."

I haven't used anti-perspirants (AP) for years and years - I use Crystal spray and roll-on for deoderant purposes (which is awesome btw), but that's it. Trying to stay away from commercial AP, I 1st tried this. It works really well on 2 of my 3 areas, but where the industrial sweating occurs, this isn't strong enough. Now granted, i have not messed round w/ different levels of the ingredients, (I used 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch and 4+ tbsp coconut oil.) That actually works on 2 of my affected areas, but not where the industrial sweating occurs. I am very pleased w/ the fact it works well on 2 of the areas. Where I need super maximum strength = Dove Clinical workx great. I may fudge around w/ the recipe to see if I can tweak it to control ALL sweating, but for now, will use up the current mix.

My dermo was very impressed w/ the level of resolution on the 2 areas - he even asked for the recipe to give to others if interested.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by turbulance45

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Price: other than the 15-20 dollars for a tub of coconut oil, the price is almost free. (coconut oil is a major staple in my house for all my beauty needs).

Packaging: there isn't any! well other than the box that the baking soda comes in and the plastic tub of the C.O. it gets a five for eco-friendliness.

overall rating: 5/5

Why?: well, I didn't follow the recipes online to a tea. I just mixed a couple tablespoons of C.O. with a couple tablespoons of B.S. until it was formidable. it didn't have a major smell, mostly like the coconut oil. i put it on my armpits like I usually did with regular store bought poop.

this said, it's been about 9-10 hours since I've applied. in a normal situation with my pretty smelling store bought stuff, I'd begin to smell like sweat again by now. but I just checked my arm pits after forgetting about them for the day... and there is zero smell.

I know, they don't smell pretty anymore. no more coconut smell. but I'm ok with that. they don't smell like BO. and it cost me very little to make this. and it's healthier.

if I wake up in the morning without a disgusting smell of the century, then I know I will never go back to regular stuff. if I do, then I'll just try again and see how a few days - a week work.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2014 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Selenite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Don't bother with any other natural deodorant. In fact, don't bother with any commercial deodorant period. This stuff is cheap, easy to make, and it works! It works better than crystal deodorants, better than "shower fresh" sticks that are tested on animals. 1/4 cups of each plus 4 tbsp of oil (I use coconut) makes me about a year's worth.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2014 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Kitten27

I've used this for a while and it has been effective in keeping me odorless throughout the day. It does not stop me from sweating which isn't a problem since people are supposed to sweat.

I mix these with coconut oil to help spread it to my underarms, a couple of drops of tea tree oil for added anti-fungal properties and lavender oil for the same reason and a bit of fragrance.

I noticed a significant change in my underarms. First of all, I never get ingrown hair anymore and the cystic breakouts I had from using deodorant disappeared. My underarms are also significantly lighter in color.

My only concern is application. It's messy.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by 789Me

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

I struggled with bad BO until I discovered baking soda! Nothing else truly worked. I would start to smell a couple of hours after I showered. Now I'm stink free thanks to baking soda. My HG deodorant!

I tried different mixes, some great and some not so great. Then I read somewhere that baking soda combats odor while corn starch combats sweating. As my true issue was just the odor, I started patting baking soda in the area right after I showered. It was messy but worked for the last 2 years! Then recently my sister struggled with the smell issue. I told her about my solution. While she liked it she found it very messy. She came up with a method that we both love. Put baking soda in a container. She uses an old face cream jar, I use an old yogurt container. Wet a cotton pad and press it to the baking soda (with this method a little goes a long way). Then swipe your underarm with the pad. This way you can do it whenever you need it and are not restricted to just after a shower.

I highly recommend giving this a try. Natural and cheap.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2013 11:31:00 AM More reviews by terriv13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

All I can say is WOW!!! I read about this here on MUA a few days ago, and instantly thought, "No way!!". Then I had second thoughts and tried it out just for the sake of curiosity since I had all the ingredients on hand, anyway. As stated by others, I find that commercial deodorant just ends up mingling with the smell of sweat, which it almost as bad as not wearing any at all!! Anyhoo, I whipped this up yesterday, knowing I was going to be out running around in the heat which would be a true test, and guess what? IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!! And by worked, I mean, I was dry, but most importantly, NO SMELL!!! Hallelujah!!! I kept indiscreetly (hopefully!! :o) sniffing to check, and I was beyond amazed. It lasted throughout the day and night into the next morning, Un-freaking-believable I tell 'ya!!!! Last but not least worth mentioning is that it's all natural, so no aluminum or other chemicals. I, personally, had zero irritation, which I was expecting, so extra bonus there! God, I love MUA!!! <3

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by lmg613

Just here to reiterate that this absolutely works and is one of my most successful DIYs so far. Superior to commercial products in several ways:

1. Pretty much 100% odor free since starting with this, noticeably more so than with packaged deodorant.
2. I don't seem to sweat as much as I used to.
3. The slight "residue" that occurs sometimes is just a few grains that are easily brushed off once dry, nothing like the annoyance of a white solid stick.

Used a popular recipe online that adds shea butter to the mix of cornstarch, baking soda, and coconut oil, which makes it a little easier to use in cold weather (just apply a dab and let your skin warm it enough to blend in). I keep it in a jar; since it's more susceptible to temperature changes than packaged deodorant, I didn't have a lot of luck putting it in an empty deodorant stick. The other thing is that it can make you a little "rashy" if applied just after showering/shaving, but for me (luckily) that's minimal.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by lacou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I haven't come onto MUA to write a review in a long time but I am compelled to do so. This stuff mixed with coconut oil to form a paste has been the most effective deodorant I have ever used. I literally cannot tell you how happy I am to have found something that works, and all for just pennies. I mixed the ingredients, no exact measurements except for half and half cornstarch and coconut oil with slightly less baking soda. Previous to this I was using a solid crystal which up until this point was my best non aluminum odour defence. But even still....it didn't pull through 100%. THIS DOES. And I do enough activities that keep me active and sweating. But I smell perfect even at the 24h mark. Amazing.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2013 5:48:00 PM More reviews by BavSnob

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This works! Who needs chemical filled deodorant/antiperspirant when you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry? We seem to have different recipes here, the one that works for me is 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup baking soda, and about 4 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, mashed and mixed until creamy (use a fork) and spooned into an old empty deodorant container makes the perfect amount. After putting it in the container I put it in the fridge for a few hours just to harden it up again. Minor pleasant coconut smell when first applied in the morning, but this fades to unscented rather quickly. I am dry and stink free all day - it works better than many commercial deodorants and is certainly better for you! I've read that you can sub in arrowroot powder if you have sensitive skin, but I haven't had an issue with this recipe at all.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No