April 17, 2014 | 1973 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Burt's Bees - Mama Bee (by Burt's Bees) Belly Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by dh494

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Seriously love this cream. I am about 24 weeks and so far have tried about 10 different body lotions and butters from caudalie to nuxe to clarins. This cream feels thick and hydrating, yet absorbs quickly and without a greasy feeling. It's also frag free which is a plus when you are sensitive to smells..

Burt's bees is a great company that makes reliable products.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2011 3:06:00 AM More reviews by broadway0rbust

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

[Like the previous reviewer mentioned, I believe this is a new formula.] In my current pregnancy, my belly skin has been so itchy that no lotion or cream has been able to help. So I picked some of this balm up at my local Target and found that it has helped so much, it's gotten rid of the itchies! There is no fragrance to this, but there is a scent from all the oils they use. Though it isn't an altogether 'pretty' smell, it is natural and not too bad/easy to handle, even with 'Pregnancy Nose'! The balm melts into an oil when I rub it in my hands before applying, and is a pretty substantial balm. I noticed that it doesn't absorb quickly into my skin, even after a shower and when I massage it in for a couple minutes, but that's okay for me. I suppose that it acts as a protective barrier from dry air, etc. It doesn't evaporate and protects my skin almost all day. I really enjoy using this product, the natural ingredients, and how it has gotten rid of my itchy skin. Whatever extra product is left on my hands after I rub it on my belly, I just use it on my cuticles and elbows - it's wonderful! If there is anything I would say that is negative about it, it's that the tin is sometimes hard to open - other than that, a great buy that works for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2011 12:28:00 AM More reviews by carinnemj

I suspect Burt's Bees reformulated this product around the time they changed the name to Mama Bee Belly Balm because it does not now contain willow bark as mentioned in the review two down. It's all olive oil, beeswax, and pumpkin seed oil. It's a little too thick to apply directly to skin but I get better slip when I layer it over a body oil (especially Kiehl's argan oil). I knocked off two stars because I can't use it on its own.

$9.99 for a generous 85 g tin at Target.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2010 8:14:00 PM More reviews by xkatherinemintie

This product smells wonderful. It doesn't have any synthetic fragrances added, so the scent is a light and natural one.

I found it's best to apply this right after a shower. It makes the balm easier to spread, so you end up using less, which ends up feeling like light moisture on your skin lasting all day rather than a typical waxy balm.

If you don't like the feeling of being 'greasy' or 'wet' all day, be sure to use minimal amounts of this product, or apply at night to give your skin time to absorb.

My baby belly just started showing, and this being my first pregnancy I can not report on stretch marks yet, but hopefully Mama Bee will help me avoid them as much as possible.

I will continue using this product after my pregnancy as a moisturizer (it's doing wonders for my feet & elbows this winter already)!

The only thing I would improve about this product would be a change in the packaging. I'd love a more secure lid; although I haven't had any problems with it falling off, I certainly don't want any. I can't imagine trying to get this off the inside of my purse.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2009 10:04:00 PM More reviews by jleezuckor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm SO disappointed. I just bought this and LOVE it for my growing belly. But, I just realized that it has willow bark extract, something that pregnant women are supposed to stay away from. Why in the world would BB put something in a product made for pregnant women, that is not medically safe for them (or at least there's not enough knowledge about the safety)?? I do love this stuff though and plan to keep it around to use after I'm done nursing. Hopefully it will still be good by then!

"Willow bark is not recommended in pregnant or breastfeeding women due to a lack of available scientific evidence. Salicylates are listed as a pregnancy category D; there is positive evidence of human fetal risk with use. Salicylates in breast milk may cause rash in breastfed babies."

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2009 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Cherub573

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I don't use this as it's probably intended as I've never been pregnant. I do love this as a nighttime hand cream though! It's a very dense, creamy butter- I personally love the consistency. It doesn't leave a greasy film or shine on the skin, but does leave it ever-so-slightly tacky, which is why I wouldn't give it 5 stars, and also why I only use it at nighttime on my hands (and possibly feet and elbows).

I enjoy the smell of it, but can see how some people may not. It's not very "perfumey" but has a nutty+honey aroma to it that lingers.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2009 10:35:00 AM More reviews by pixieflwr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm very happy with this product and will continue to use throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I wish I would have found it sooner! Belly Butter is thick, moisturizing, long lasting, smells good and natural. It takes a minute to rub the product in or it leaves white streaks the way sunscreen does. It leaves my skin moist all day. Some reviewers didn't like this, but in my opinion this is best for skin that is getting stretched. I only apply to the areas of my skin getting stretched--bust, stomach, hips, butt, thighs. Otherwise I feel greasy. Initially I was unsure about the scent, but now I like it. It smells like Bath and Body Works' Rice Flower and Shea Butter--light, slightly sweet and clean. The scent fades after applying, which is nice. I hated the smell of Palmer's and Vaseline's coco butter lotions, which were noticable all day. The fact it contains natural ingredients is a huge plus for pregnant people like me who are selective about what they put into and on their bodies now. Better safe than sorry! I also recommend applying Burt's Bee's Mama Be Nourishing Body Oil over the Body Butter. However, if you don't like your skin feeling moist all day don't do this. Update: I'm still using this product post partum and loving it!

You can buy this product at Target and WalMart. Try Target first because they keep their Burt's Bees products better organized and stocked. One tub of this lasts longer than you would expect.

EDIT- I think this might be a discontinued product. However, their BB's sells a body butter that has the exact same ingredients in it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2009 9:33:00 PM More reviews by kandrey3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Shortly after I became pregnant, my sister bought this for me because she swore by it back when she was pregnant. So I applied it regularly as soon as I started to show, and now and I have almost NO stretch marks! The consistency of this is really thick and creamy, it helps alot with the itch as well. I'll definitely repurchase this when/if I become pregnant again :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2009 4:30:00 PM More reviews by blue_jay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Very nice product. I use it together with Mother's special blend (one in the morning, one in the evening) for my itchy skin. I'm 14 weeks pregnant and my skin became vey dry due to hormonal changes I guess. I have to use creams and lotions all the time.
This butter relieves the itch and moisturizes well, and it's really a joy to spread it since it smells divine. Makes me want to eat it :).

I love all Burt's Bees products.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2009 6:52:00 PM More reviews by cupcakejenea

i love it, i'm on baby number 3 and never used any cocco butter or anything my 2 pregnancys and got real bad marks since i have been useing this , as strange as it sounds but they got better and my belly is very smooth,the smell isn't bad at all, i put it on after i get out of the shower it makes it way easy to spead and you tend to usr less...i will continue to use even after my baby is born and now have all my expectant friends buying this!