August 21, 2014 | 1321 users online

Pressed Powders - Marutake rice powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 5:14:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this since I was a teen actually Junior high, having strict asin mom -you know they dont let you wear makeup! this and mascara was the only thing my mother would let me use, in Junior high, Rice powder is nothing new, and if your Northern Asian chances are it's was your grandmother used in the 30's and 40's for that "Shanghai girl" look, I still use it, sometimes I go between this or my Benye banana powder, neither which is very travel friendly, I also use Iman sand pressed powder which is nice and yellow for my complexion. My best advice about traveling with this find a little tupperware thing to put the box in, it leaves your complexion nice, not white casted with your pores closed looking, I recommend this for all ages and ethnic groups and if you have a daughter who is around 12-13 years old and you are on the fence about her wearing makeup put a little of this on her before her school pictures, it makes a difference!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2010 7:43:00 PM More reviews by Jennifer1971

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Thanks for the great suggestions from the prior review. Never thought of using Cinnamon or Turmeric with rice powder. Btw, you can buy rice powder at your local asian ethnic market for like $1 for a bag about 40 times the amount you get in a little cosmetic powder box. Or you can try the banh beo powder which is a mix of tapioca & rice powder. Never tried cornstarch yet.

How about ground sage to add some green?

Rice powder goes on nicely with you gently and rapidly--with a light touch--stipple it on your face. Use the ELF $3 Studio Powder Brush ($1.50 with STUDIOSAVE coupon code); it's great for stippling.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2010 10:57:00 AM More reviews by fearless_20

here are some tips for people who are not pale...add some cinnamon to your arrowroot/tapioca/corn flour/ rice powder....any one of these thin fine powders can be applied on either sun screen, moisturizer or foundation to keep your skin oil free and matte...by adding cinnamon and turmeric your adding a pinch of color...both are anti septic as well and anti bacterial so its good for your skin

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2009 8:38:00 PM More reviews by ifyouknew518

i LOVE this. i admit everything about this product is a little different.. like the packaging.. but at least youre not waisting $$ for it just to look prettier. anyways. this stuff keeps me completely shine free for at least 6 hours. and even after that im not as gross as i usually am.

there are only two ingredients aluminum carbonate and calcium carbonate...calcium carbonate is the main base for chalk.. but im okay with that. think of gymnasts. they use chalk on their hands so they arent greasy when they go on uneven bars.

DEF try it.

ps. i bought this at http://www.cosmeticsolutions.biz/servlet/the-30361/Irene-Gari-Marutake-Rice/Detail

it was only $7 altogether. def worth a try

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2009 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Romana003

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

Would I buy this product again?! YES YES YES! I have been using this powder for YEARS (since the awkward greasy acne days of adolescence)- it is a staple of my makeup collection and my daily makeup routine. I have quite a few boxes of this powder- one to keep in my school bag, one to keep in my purse, a couple in my makeup box, and a couple in storage in case I run out! I consider it my cosmetic "secret weapon" and it has been so helpful in controlling shine, in setting my makeup, and in enhancing my complexion (without giving me pimples or clogging my pores).
I can't recommend this product strongly enough. People comment on my skin, and I often attribute it to this great powder. The packaging is not great, but who cares? The product definitely makes up for it in my book. It comes like a little "block" of chalk (or that's what it reminds me of), in a little cardboard box with a little brush. But I don't use the brush to apply, but rather a powder puff. I am very fair (creamy white), but I have also used this on a friend of mine that has a rich olive complexion, and the powder still seemed translucent. And even she was excited how her T-zones stayed pretty matte for an entire evening (even though we were dancing and sweating), so much so that she was willing to order it from overseas, regardless of price and the shipping!
I put this product under my powder (in order to set my concealer), then I put it over my powder as a last step to set my powder, and then I reapply throughout the day in order to refresh my complexion (as someone said, it makes your skin feel velvety). And whenever my skin starts to feel a little slimey from the oil and makeup, this powder freshens me up right away. It also helps to keep my makeup on all day- my blush, my concealer, my eyeshadow (it prevents creasing too), my eyeliner, everything. But the best thing is that it keep my skin looking smooth and porcelain-like, so I never have to worry about my makeup sliding off or looking cakey or muddy. I recommend it so highly, and I hope to have it available to me for years and years to come. And, in fact, when those silly survey questions ask me something like, "If you were stuck on a desert island, what three makeup items would you want to take with you?" I invariably include my Marutake Rice Powder on the list!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried this powder on a couple of occasions, and it works okay for me, but not great. I have SUPER oily skin even though I'm in my 40's. I put on my makeup and I'm shiny within an hour. So, I'm switching between this and baby powder, depending on the heat and humidity of the day. Anyway, this is worth trying if you have oily skin, and one reviewer commented on it being hard to find and it is. The only place I've found it is www.vermontcountrystore.com. I'm not trying to promote them or anything, but it truly is the only place I know of that carries this product. I gave it a one for packaging quality because you're getting a cake of powder in a cardboard box, but hey, at least you're not paying for a bunch of plastic packaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2008 9:02:00 AM More reviews by Rachel1234

Marutake Rice Powder is an excellent primer for oil control.

First I apply my moisturizer, then I apply a dusting of Marutake Rice Powder all over my face with a kabuki brush (I have very oily skin), then I follow with my NARS Powder Foundation, then apply blush, then I'm done! Easy as pie, quick, and it REALLY helps control oil breakthrough during the day.

Ingredients: Aluminum Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate.

Very effective. Great for oil control. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2007 9:13:00 PM More reviews by anywayreally

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love Marutake rice powder. It's kind of hard to get, but worth the bother. It's billed as a translucent powder, and unlike most translucent powders, it really is translucent. Wearing it feels like wearing nothing at all. It gives very light, velvety-textured matte coverage, sets concealer and foundation, absorbs oiliness and light perspiration, and it lasts for hours.
EDIT: This may not be obvious, because the product name does have the word "rice" in it, but this product does not actually contain rice ingredients. I think the name refers to the color of the powder.