October 21, 2014 | 1827 users online

Masks - Activated Charcoal Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by blackdawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I Use this product as a dry shampoo I crush the tablets and use the black powder on my hair, I have very dark black hair and I like how this makes it even darker it works as an excellent dry shampoo if you have dark hair it sucks up all the excess oil and gives great volume its also improved my hair somewhat and stops it from falling out I think because it sort of stops build up .... going to try using this with rhasool clay to clarify my hair next iv also heard it can be used to whiten teeth going to try that too.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 3:45:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

I use activated charcoal when I am bloated or have some stomach problems. It works great for this.

As a face mask- I crush some charcoal pills, put water, make a paste and put on my face.
I leave it for 10 mins, then I gently massage and wash my face.
Results- clear skin BUUUUUT even after 2 days of scrubbing with everything I still had charcoal dust in my pores. Not worth the hassle. Not doing this anymore. Clay is much better! I like getting messy but if it takes 2 days to get the particles out of my pores, this is nuts.

For teeth- same thing as above but brushed my teeth with the paste.
Again- not worth it. My teeth seemed cleaner but I can obtain that with BS also.
Also even after properly brushing, flossing, swishing water and mouth water and, I still had a tiny bit of charcoal behind a tooth, stuck in my gum, that got inflamed. I realized the 3rd day why is that and I managed to take it out.

So this is useless for everything else but it great for my stomach.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 10:21:00 AM More reviews by azaleadeez

There was one period of time where I was literally losing tufts of hair everyday. It was serious. No amounts of clarifying shampoos or hair masks helped; topical hair loss solutions only gave very mild results. I decided to apply activated charcoal paste (just activated charcoal powder/tablets mixed with water) all over my scalp, left it overnight and washed it off in the morning. After about 2-3 applications, my crazy hair loss stopped! I still lose hair everyday when I wash my hair now but it's just a couple of strands, which is normal. Whenever my scalp gets oily and congested and more hair starts dropping, I'll just apply activated charcoal paste on my scalp overnight and it'll be all fresh and clean again the next morning. It stops hair loss and takes away scalp odours too. Messy but it works!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2012 11:31:00 AM More reviews by mizsockmonkey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

There's already a review for activated charcoal under "Masks," but I recently read a tip that advised trying activated charcoal for tooth whitening. Now, I'm a dedicated coffee drinker and I like my red wine, so my teeth aren't dazzlin' white, or whatever PLUS I get excited about trying new things, so I immediately went to Amazon and ordered my bag of coconut-shell activated charcoal (they call it Coal-conut). Apparently this stuff is used to settle stomachs, and for other detoxification (hence its other listing under Masks).
Anyway, I've used it twice now and I had to write a review because I'm SHOCKED at the difference I see. I wet my toothbrush, dipped it in the activated charcoal (which is black-black-black), then applied toothpaste to the brush, and brushed as usual, while keeping the resulting foam in my mouth and swirling it around a little more than I normally would have. I did that last night and this morning, and already the results are more dramatic than about four or five days of Whitestrips (which is about how long I usually remember to use them in a row). My teeth are already shades whiter. I can't believe I didn't know about this before. It's simple and not time consuming, AND it's not as expensive as Whitestrips or a similar product, which like I said, I would normally use for a few days and then forget about anyway. The bag I bought is about 20 bucks for 12 ounces, which looks like it should last months and months, even if I use it every day.
The cons: it's very black, like I said. It turned my toothbrush black, and I wouldn't recommend getting it near ANY of your clothes. Likewise you'll need to rinse and wipe your sink out immediately to avoid staining, and it takes a few minutes for the black to completely disappear from your mouth even with thorough rinsing.
So far, I'm sold. I'm going to keep using and update if I notice further good results, but this seems like a keeper.
NOTE: Make sure you buy ACTIVATED CHARCOAL, available at health food stores or online. Don't try this with regular barbecue charcoal.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 12:34:00 AM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I buy the AC by the bag from the local health food store. Once or twice I week I take one teaspoon mixed in a glass of water and drink it down. I also use it as a facial scrub on its own, as a hair rinse/scrub for my scalp with plain water AND twice a week to brush my teeth as it cleans teeth and draws out toxins much better than any whitening toothpaste I have tried and it actually helps and heals your gums too. In fact my trio of Cerasee tea, activated charcoal, baking soda and apple cider vinegar are the most 4 essential items items in my house for body detox and cleansing.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 4:01:00 AM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love activated charcoal. I have tried a few products with it and decided to mix up my own. I've mixed it in various pure clays (French green clay and benonite clay) and in a couple of masks (Origins Out of Trouble and Queene Helene mint julep) and it adds an added "punch" to the clays/masks. Yes, it makes the mask black but who cares. I love it. Detoxifying and pore cleansing. Skin feels super refreshed and clean. I've also used it alone with just water on my t-zone and that works also. It's extremely cheap. I paid $6 for 50 capsules at Vitamin Shoppe. You will not need more than one capsule per mask.

Even my 15yo son loves charcoal. I bought a charcoal soap (Origins) and he swiped it from me and asked me to buy more. Charcoal is also great for getting rid of body odor. So, if you work out, this is awesome. The capsules are so easy to use, you can open some up into your body cleanser. Or if you use bar soap, you can open one in your hand and mix some soap with it, then spread all over your body.

Also, I noticed no extra mess in the shower when this is used. I highly recommend trying it. :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2008 12:40:00 AM More reviews by doe_eyed_kitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm using a peel off charcoal mask, $2 from a japanese shop Daiso. Yes it does remove a hell lot of stuff from my pores and i'm happy about it. But its a tad drying... :( even after using demalogica's hydrating mask my skin still feels taut, not good for sensitive skins.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2007 9:59:00 AM More reviews by prettypopy

Ladies, if you are looking for something that will pull out those plugged pores without having to have your pores professionally extracted, then this product might be right for you. The plus thing about this charcoal is that it is the most thorough pore cleanser I have ever experienced. It detox the skin like no other substance. Activated carbons are used are water filters so you can image how much cleansing you will get. Plus it is extremely gentle. Your skin won't be inflammed. After I wash it off, i can feel plugged pores coming out of their shells! The downside. It is very very messy using charcoal. It stains the sink. What's worse is that if you have very very oily skin with large pores, the charcoals might lodge in your pores and you have to spend more time getting them out. I love the result with charcoal, but I hate the mess that I have to deal with. So I only use it once in a while. Sometimes I mix it with other mask to lighten up charcoal stains on my nose. Charcoal has been documented to draw out poison from snake bites, so imagine how much detoxing your skin is going through.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No