Activated Charcoal Mask

4.1

pure activated charcoal

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

I originally ordered this as a health supplement to detoxify and to have in case of gas, food poison, oral cleaner, skin care. First it doesn't cost very much and I have the capsules that break open if you desire to use loosely. But I think it is essential to have in the medicine cabinet. This cheap little product all but saved my face one day when I was removing my makeup with a Epielle argan oil brand of makeup wipes that was formulated with Aragon oil. I never had a problem with the wipes in other formulas, but thought I would try a newer formula. I think the oil and water ingredient in the wipe caused chemical separation to occur and I got the bite. I was almost done removing my makeup and I tend to fold the wipe to begin with and use new areas of the wipe to avoid smearing dissolve makeup all over my face. As I got near my left eye I experience a burning sensation that was very much like having a chemical peel, it was quite intense. The first thing I did was splash cool water, but that didn't seem to work, then baking soda to neutralize the chemical, nada didn't work either. So light bulb went off in my mind that charcoal is a absorber with toxins and they also encase them. I grabbed the bottle, broke the capsule and made a paste and applied it to the area on my eye and upper cheek where I was feeling the burn. The result was instant!!!! No burn, no sting, no side effects! This can be messy and you'll look like a Virgina/Kentucky coal miner but you will be thankful. The use for this can go on and on.

I was curious about the claims that activated charcoal can be used to whiten teeth, so I got an inexpensive little bottle of capsules for under $5. I open a capsule and dump it into a little cup, then I put toothpaste on a damp toothbrush and dip it into the AC. I brush for about a minute, then rinse very thoroughly. I'll try to floss afterward too because bits of the AC can get stuck between your teeth and in your gums.

I was surprised and pleased to find that this treatment made an immediate, noticeable difference in my teeth. They were about 1-2 shades whiter and lighter and felt smooth and slick. Since this is a bit abrasive, I only use it once a week or so and maintain by swishing hydrogen peroxide at night. This routine is ridiculously cheap and has allowed me to forgo those awful whitening strips and trays. I don't have to suffer from tooth sensitivity or sticker shock :)

Bonus use: AC can help prevent or mitigate a hangover. Just take a capsule or two after a night of drinking and before going to bed. It absorbs substances in your gut. But since activated charcoal is indiscriminate about what it binds with, don't take this with medication or supplements as it'll decrease effectiveness.

I just love finding inexpensive, multi-use, natural items like this. The ways I have used this so far are:

1. As a face mask. I looked for recipes online and didn't have any of the other ingredients needed. One way to make a mask with this is to mix with bentonite clay. My Queen Helene mask is mainly bentonite so I threw a dollop of that in a glass bowl, dumped a bunch of charcoal on top, added a little splash of water and it mixed beautifully into a rich, black, minty paste. It went on really nicely with a large fan brush and the bowl and brush both rinsed off easily. No stains on the sink, either. When it was time to rinse from my face, it came off very easily with a warm cloth. It left me feeling fresh, looking younger and glowing. The pores on my nose are usually huge but my skin looked so smooth and perfect. This is now an every-week-thing for me.

2. As a tooth whitener. I put a little toothpaste on a brush and dumped the charcoal over it. I brushed my teeth for a while, then let the mixture sit in my mouth while the mask was on. I figured it would take several treatments before I saw anything happen to my teeth, but in one try it brightened my smile significantly and my stains faded away. I couldn't stop checking them out in the mirror. I can ditch my (expensive by comparison) bleach syringes that I get from the dentist that take multiple session to see improvement - this got them sparkling white in one shot.

I also love how it made my teeth feel - very clean and slippery. I am a compulsive tooth-brusher and always have to brush even if even have a bite of something. This stuff cleaned them so well that they still feel more slippery than normal, even after eating. Very noticeable reduction in plaque.

3. As an eye bag treatment. I kind of got carried away when applying the mask the first time and brought it right up under my eyes. I usually have really bad eye bags and dark circles, and I noticed they were much less noticeable after the mask. So I googled that, and found a recipe for undereye bags - mixing the charcoal with starch and water.

So, this product totally refreshes skin, unclogs pores and smooths the complexion, lessens the appearance of dark circles and bags, whitens teeth just as well as bleach, and leaves teeth feeling clean and slippery for days. I hope every woman on this site gets some activated charcoal; it's awesome!

I don't find the mask aspect of AC to be the best use, but in using it I did not experience any AC detritus in my large pores. It is better used for tooth whitening, which is messy but effective. (I use it with baking soda and my ancient electric Oral B toothbrush.) Incidentally, I purchased the capsules from Whole Foods to have on hand on my vet's advice after my dog chewed an untold number of ibuprofen in liqu-gel form.

Hi Guys,

I've been reading these reviews on Charcoal and am like the other person earlier - with red Wine - love it, I also have imflamation so have going to try it for that also, my capsules are en-route.

BUT !!!! I think I have an idea for when your using it over the sink and it's staining/marking your sink. What about either covering your sink in clingfilm on the days your doing masks etc, or coat it in oil - some cheap cooking oil so the stains dont stick.
Good idea if your in rental property and you dont want billing for any marks on sinks etc

I'll let you know how i go on with too.

Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I Use this product as a dry shampoo I crush the tablets and use the black powder on my hair, I have very dark black hair and I like how this makes it even darker it works as an excellent dry shampoo if you have dark hair it sucks up all the excess oil and gives great volume its also improved my hair somewhat and stops it from falling out I think because it sort of stops build up .... going to try using this with rhasool clay to clarify my hair next iv also heard it can be used to whiten teeth going to try that too.

I use activated charcoal when I am bloated or have some stomach problems. It works great for this.

As a face mask- I crush some charcoal pills, put water, make a paste and put on my face.
I leave it for 10 mins, then I gently massage and wash my face.
Results- clear skin BUUUUUT even after 2 days of scrubbing with everything I still had charcoal dust in my pores. Not worth the hassle. Not doing this anymore. Clay is much better! I like getting messy but if it takes 2 days to get the particles out of my pores, this is nuts.

For teeth- same thing as above but brushed my teeth with the paste.
Again- not worth it. My teeth seemed cleaner but I can obtain that with BS also.
Also even after properly brushing, flossing, swishing water and mouth water and, I still had a tiny bit of charcoal behind a tooth, stuck in my gum, that got inflamed. I realized the 3rd day why is that and I managed to take it out.

So this is useless for everything else but it great for my stomach.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There was one period of time where I was literally losing tufts of hair everyday. It was serious. No amounts of clarifying shampoos or hair masks helped; topical hair loss solutions only gave very mild results. I decided to apply activated charcoal paste (just activated charcoal powder/tablets mixed with water) all over my scalp, left it overnight and washed it off in the morning. After about 2-3 applications, my crazy hair loss stopped! I still lose hair everyday when I wash my hair now but it's just a couple of strands, which is normal. Whenever my scalp gets oily and congested and more hair starts dropping, I'll just apply activated charcoal paste on my scalp overnight and it'll be all fresh and clean again the next morning. It stops hair loss and takes away scalp odours too. Messy but it works!

There's already a review for activated charcoal under "Masks," but I recently read a tip that advised trying activated charcoal for tooth whitening. Now, I'm a dedicated coffee drinker and I like my red wine, so my teeth aren't dazzlin' white, or whatever PLUS I get excited about trying new things, so I immediately went to Amazon and ordered my bag of coconut-shell activated charcoal (they call it Coal-conut). Apparently this stuff is used to settle stomachs, and for other detoxification (hence its other listing under Masks).
Anyway, I've used it twice now and I had to write a review because I'm SHOCKED at the difference I see. I wet my toothbrush, dipped it in the activated charcoal (which is black-black-black), then applied toothpaste to the brush, and brushed as usual, while keeping the resulting foam in my mouth and swirling it around a little more than I normally would have. I did that last night and this morning, and already the results are more dramatic than about four or five days of Whitestrips (which is about how long I usually remember to use them in a row). My teeth are already shades whiter. I can't believe I didn't know about this before. It's simple and not time consuming, AND it's not as expensive as Whitestrips or a similar product, which like I said, I would normally use for a few days and then forget about anyway. The bag I bought is about 20 bucks for 12 ounces, which looks like it should last months and months, even if I use it every day.
The cons: it's very black, like I said. It turned my toothbrush black, and I wouldn't recommend getting it near ANY of your clothes. Likewise you'll need to rinse and wipe your sink out immediately to avoid staining, and it takes a few minutes for the black to completely disappear from your mouth even with thorough rinsing.
So far, I'm sold. I'm going to keep using and update if I notice further good results, but this seems like a keeper.
NOTE: Make sure you buy ACTIVATED CHARCOAL, available at health food stores or online. Don't try this with regular barbecue charcoal.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I buy the AC by the bag from the local health food store. Once or twice I week I take one teaspoon mixed in a glass of water and drink it down. I also use it as a facial scrub on its own, as a hair rinse/scrub for my scalp with plain water AND twice a week to brush my teeth as it cleans teeth and draws out toxins much better than any whitening toothpaste I have tried and it actually helps and heals your gums too. In fact my trio of Cerasee tea, activated charcoal, baking soda and apple cider vinegar are the most 4 essential items items in my house for body detox and cleansing.

Popular Masks