Activated Charcoal Mask

3.9

pure activated charcoal

on 5/31/2015 7:50:00 AM

I just love finding inexpensive, multi-use, natural items like this. The ways I have used this so far are:

1. As a face mask. I looked for recipes online and didn't have any of the other ingredients needed. One way to make a mask with this is to mix with bentonite clay. My Queen Helene mask is mainly bentonite so I threw a dollop of that in a glass bowl, dumped a bunch of charcoal on top, added a little splash of water and it mixed beautifully into a rich, black, minty paste. It went on really nicely with a large fan brush and the bowl and brush both rinsed off easily. No stains on the sink, either. When it was time to rinse from my face, it came off very easily with a warm cloth. It left me feeling fresh, looking younger and glowing. The pores on my nose are usually huge but my skin looked so smooth and perfect. This is now an every-week-thing for me.

2. As a tooth whitener. I put a little toothpaste on a brush and dumped the charcoal over it. I brushed my teeth for a while, then let the mixture sit in my mouth while the mask was on. I figured it would take several treatments before I saw anything happen to my teeth, but in one try it brightened my smile significantly and my stains faded away. I couldn't stop checking them out in the mirror. I can ditch my (expensive by comparison) bleach syringes that I get from the dentist that take multiple session to see improvement - this got them sparkling white in one shot.

I also love how it made my teeth feel - very clean and slippery. I am a compulsive tooth-brusher and always have to brush even if even have a bite of something. This stuff cleaned them so well that they still feel more slippery than normal, even after eating. Very noticeable reduction in plaque.

3. As an eye bag treatment. I kind of got carried away when applying the mask the first time and brought it right up under my eyes. I usually have really bad eye bags and dark circles, and I noticed they were much less noticeable after the mask. So I googled that, and found a recipe for undereye bags - mixing the charcoal with starch and water.

So, this product totally refreshes skin, unclogs pores and smooths the complexion, lessens the appearance of dark circles and bags, whitens teeth just as well as bleach, and leaves teeth feeling clean and slippery for days. I hope every woman on this site gets some activated charcoal; it's awesome!

on 1/9/2015 2:15:00 PM

I don't find the mask aspect of AC to be the best use, but in using it I did not experience any AC detritus in my large pores. It is better used for tooth whitening, which is messy but effective. (I use it with baking soda and my ancient electric Oral B toothbrush.) Incidentally, I purchased the capsules from Whole Foods to have on hand on my vet's advice after my dog chewed an untold number of ibuprofen in liqu-gel form.

on 11/23/2014 7:30:00 AM

Hi Guys,

I've been reading these reviews on Charcoal and am like the other person earlier - with red Wine - love it, I also have imflamation so have going to try it for that also, my capsules are en-route.

BUT !!!! I think I have an idea for when your using it over the sink and it's staining/marking your sink. What about either covering your sink in clingfilm on the days your doing masks etc, or coat it in oil - some cheap cooking oil so the stains dont stick.
Good idea if your in rental property and you dont want billing for any marks on sinks etc

I'll let you know how i go on with too.

on 6/10/2014 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I Use this product as a dry shampoo I crush the tablets and use the black powder on my hair, I have very dark black hair and I like how this makes it even darker it works as an excellent dry shampoo if you have dark hair it sucks up all the excess oil and gives great volume its also improved my hair somewhat and stops it from falling out I think because it sort of stops build up .... going to try using this with rhasool clay to clarify my hair next iv also heard it can be used to whiten teeth going to try that too.

on 9/17/2013 3:45:00 AM

I use activated charcoal when I am bloated or have some stomach problems. It works great for this.

As a face mask- I crush some charcoal pills, put water, make a paste and put on my face.
I leave it for 10 mins, then I gently massage and wash my face.
Results- clear skin BUUUUUT even after 2 days of scrubbing with everything I still had charcoal dust in my pores. Not worth the hassle. Not doing this anymore. Clay is much better! I like getting messy but if it takes 2 days to get the particles out of my pores, this is nuts.

For teeth- same thing as above but brushed my teeth with the paste.
Again- not worth it. My teeth seemed cleaner but I can obtain that with BS also.
Also even after properly brushing, flossing, swishing water and mouth water and, I still had a tiny bit of charcoal behind a tooth, stuck in my gum, that got inflamed. I realized the 3rd day why is that and I managed to take it out.

So this is useless for everything else but it great for my stomach.

on 8/10/2013 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There was one period of time where I was literally losing tufts of hair everyday. It was serious. No amounts of clarifying shampoos or hair masks helped; topical hair loss solutions only gave very mild results. I decided to apply activated charcoal paste (just activated charcoal powder/tablets mixed with water) all over my scalp, left it overnight and washed it off in the morning. After about 2-3 applications, my crazy hair loss stopped! I still lose hair everyday when I wash my hair now but it's just a couple of strands, which is normal. Whenever my scalp gets oily and congested and more hair starts dropping, I'll just apply activated charcoal paste on my scalp overnight and it'll be all fresh and clean again the next morning. It stops hair loss and takes away scalp odours too. Messy but it works!

on 7/27/2012 11:31:00 AM

There's already a review for activated charcoal under "Masks," but I recently read a tip that advised trying activated charcoal for tooth whitening. Now, I'm a dedicated coffee drinker and I like my red wine, so my teeth aren't dazzlin' white, or whatever PLUS I get excited about trying new things, so I immediately went to Amazon and ordered my bag of coconut-shell activated charcoal (they call it Coal-conut). Apparently this stuff is used to settle stomachs, and for other detoxification (hence its other listing under Masks).
Anyway, I've used it twice now and I had to write a review because I'm SHOCKED at the difference I see. I wet my toothbrush, dipped it in the activated charcoal (which is black-black-black), then applied toothpaste to the brush, and brushed as usual, while keeping the resulting foam in my mouth and swirling it around a little more than I normally would have. I did that last night and this morning, and already the results are more dramatic than about four or five days of Whitestrips (which is about how long I usually remember to use them in a row). My teeth are already shades whiter. I can't believe I didn't know about this before. It's simple and not time consuming, AND it's not as expensive as Whitestrips or a similar product, which like I said, I would normally use for a few days and then forget about anyway. The bag I bought is about 20 bucks for 12 ounces, which looks like it should last months and months, even if I use it every day.
The cons: it's very black, like I said. It turned my toothbrush black, and I wouldn't recommend getting it near ANY of your clothes. Likewise you'll need to rinse and wipe your sink out immediately to avoid staining, and it takes a few minutes for the black to completely disappear from your mouth even with thorough rinsing.
So far, I'm sold. I'm going to keep using and update if I notice further good results, but this seems like a keeper.
NOTE: Make sure you buy ACTIVATED CHARCOAL, available at health food stores or online. Don't try this with regular barbecue charcoal.

on 3/7/2012 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I buy the AC by the bag from the local health food store. Once or twice I week I take one teaspoon mixed in a glass of water and drink it down. I also use it as a facial scrub on its own, as a hair rinse/scrub for my scalp with plain water AND twice a week to brush my teeth as it cleans teeth and draws out toxins much better than any whitening toothpaste I have tried and it actually helps and heals your gums too. In fact my trio of Cerasee tea, activated charcoal, baking soda and apple cider vinegar are the most 4 essential items items in my house for body detox and cleansing.

on 10/26/2009 4:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love activated charcoal. I have tried a few products with it and decided to mix up my own. I've mixed it in various pure clays (French green clay and benonite clay) and in a couple of masks (Origins Out of Trouble and Queene Helene mint julep) and it adds an added "punch" to the clays/masks. Yes, it makes the mask black but who cares. I love it. Detoxifying and pore cleansing. Skin feels super refreshed and clean. I've also used it alone with just water on my t-zone and that works also. It's extremely cheap. I paid $6 for 50 capsules at Vitamin Shoppe. You will not need more than one capsule per mask.

Even my 15yo son loves charcoal. I bought a charcoal soap (Origins) and he swiped it from me and asked me to buy more. Charcoal is also great for getting rid of body odor. So, if you work out, this is awesome. The capsules are so easy to use, you can open some up into your body cleanser. Or if you use bar soap, you can open one in your hand and mix some soap with it, then spread all over your body.

Also, I noticed no extra mess in the shower when this is used. I highly recommend trying it. :)

I'm using a peel off charcoal mask, $2 from a japanese shop Daiso. Yes it does remove a hell lot of stuff from my pores and i'm happy about it. But its a tad drying... :( even after using demalogica's hydrating mask my skin still feels taut, not good for sensitive skins.

Popular Masks