Nubian Heritage Coconut & Papaya Soap

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

Coconut oil, coconut milk, papaya enzymes, vanilla beans, shea butter, cocoa butter, vegetable glycerin, vitamin E, soaps of coconut & palm

on 2/18/2015 11:33:00 AM

Meh. Smell wasn't that great - I wished it was stronger. Didn't find it to be very moisturizing. I wouldn't repurchase.

on 2/4/2015 6:44:00 AM

This is a decent-smelling soap with some good, natural products and lathers well in the shower.

In terms of its claims for the skin, however, I would beg to differ. I have sensitive skin, which apparently this type of soap should address and be kinder, but upon using it neat I found my skin (particularly round the eye area) stinging at first after rinsing then burning to the point of having peripheral excoriation with gradual use. Given the soap's stated ingredients (that I don't react to individually), I was rather surprised this was happening. Eventually, I found the soap to be fine provided I used a 'primer' beforehand [I use sweet almond oil].

Additionally, I've been using the soap for weeks and while noticing a gradual infrequency in reactive spots/pimples, I haven't seen as much progress with reducing scars. I only started noticing some fading once I added Vitamin E-based oils in my cleansing and moisturising regime, so I suspect it's more the oil doing the work instead of the soap itself. Furthermore, as some other reviewers have mentioned already, it's a rather drying soap and if it weren't for priming my skin with oil as aforesaid, it would be like I had a hardcore session of itchy botox. If this is what the packet means by the soap's 'firming' effect then it's definitely on the money (albeit adversely). Then again, that is the issue I tend to have with using strictly coconut oil for any moisturisation.

Overall, I recommend it as a general use soap but would discourage potential buyers from the belief that it does any wonders beyond simply cleaning the skin and making it smell nice.

on 6/11/2013 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

After experiencing success with the African Black Soap from Nubian Heritage in managing my KP-prone skin, I decided to try the Coconut & Papaya Soap. It did not significantly lighten the acne scars on my body, and I feel that the soap would rate a 2 in effectiveness as far as its lightening abilities are concerned.

The soap lathers decently, has a faint, pleasant coconut scent, and leaves the skin decently moisturized. On my Oil-prone, KP skin, this leaves a clean and moisturizing feeling after use.

This is a decent soap, but still a distant second in addressing my skin's needs when compared to the African Black Soap from the same company.

on 3/8/2013 4:51:00 PM

Always looking for luxurious-feeling soap that is not drying and smells indulgent... It smells like a coconut shake! The lather is so soft and creamy. And very affordable. Cruelty-free; ethically-traded ingredients: Coconut oil, shea butter, cocao seed butter, palm oil, coconut milk, papaya extract, Vitamin E, vegetable glycerin, essential oil blend, vanilla beans.

on 4/21/2012 11:56:00 AM

I LOVE this soap, it smells Heavenly and I love the way it makes my skin feel. I use this on my face and it has helped with my oily acne prone complexion. WILL definitely buy this again, as well as more soaps from Nubian Heritage. I love the African Black Soap too! Order from iherb.com, and use code: XON769, you will get $5.00 off your first order. And, free shipping on U.S. orders over $20.00, and no tax! AWESOME! =)

on 10/27/2011 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Very nice smelling soap, but VERY drying. I tried using it as a body cleanser and it made my skin tight and dry. It even dried my hands out when I used it as a hand soap.

on 8/27/2011 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is the most amazing soap I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. The smell stayed for quite a few weeks but is gone now. I noticed a difference in my skin immediately after the first use. I would have called this the best soap I have ever used but then I tried out some of the other soaps (African Black Soap) from this brand and they are even better. This is still a good soap but I would not repurchase just because Nubian Heritage has better soaps and I want to try all of them out. :)

on 2/16/2011 1:07:00 PM

The scent of this soap is very faint (which somehow surprised me as the hand cream I have from Nubian Heritage is very strongly scented) but pleasant.

I'm using this as a hand soap and find it VERY drying. I could not imagine using this as a face soap or even a body soap because it's really super drying. I definitely need to use a hand cream after washing with it. For reference, before I started on this soap, I used a soap from Primal Elements (I like their soaps, they smell luscious!) and that one was a lot less drying than the Nubian Heritage one - and I do not consider the Primal Elements soaps to be moisturizing at all.

It's not so bad that want to throw it away, but I will not repurchase. There are loads of better soaps out there!

on 6/30/2010 12:07:00 PM

I loved this soap right from the first use! It lathers great, somehow brightens the skin as it claims and my skin benefitted more and more over time. I use it on the face and body, although it may be too moisturizing for my face come fall and winter. Fabulous soap! I'm sticking to this one.

on 6/30/2010 11:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The smell was all right. It did smell kind of heavenly and gorgeous.

It washed kind of okay, really foamy and latherish but it was also really kind of drying 'cos I've got super sensitive skin. So, I'd no choice but to toss the bar out 'cos it wouldn't even work well with my hands. A shame, though.

Top Rated Nubian Heritage Products