April 20, 2014 | 2052 users online

Treatments - Silk Elements Megasilk Heat Protection Spray

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried giving this product a fair chance, but it has only been a disappointment. It makes my hair feel stringy when first applied, and then it ends up a poufy, wiry mess when I'm done blow drying. I feel like it offers virtually no heat protection, which in turn makes it useless to me. The smell isn't so bad...it reminds me of Moroccanoil. I just wish it actually provided adequate heat protection.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 7:15:00 PM More reviews by sjlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

If you have thin hair don't buy this product, it will be way too greasy for you. To my thick, coarse haired ladies this is your best friend!! I use *very* little on the ends of my hair and no other spray has worked as well to smooth and shine my hair. I give it 4 Lippies because it is way too easy to go overboard with this and get greasy hair. Other than that it is very effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by bcm321

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by ModHippie

I have blow dried and straightened my fine hair for years now, and the damage was starting to get kind of yucky - dead ends, super dry hair. And I don't get my hair trimmed religiously, so I was looking for a product to help me out a little.

I would use heat protectants on and off over the years, but I thought the real help to my dry hair was going to come in the form of the moisturizing shampoos, conditioners, deep conditioners, and creams/lotions/oils I would buy to help combat the dryness. Some stuff helped, others did not, and then one day a few months ago I was in Sally's and on a whim picked this stuff up. I was debating between this and the one with Olive Oil. I finally decided on this one, as it was my first introduction to this brand, so I wanted to try the regular one first.

Honestly, I did not have the best initial time with this product. But that was entirely my fault. I'd use too much and my hair would be greasy - one of the first time I used it, I had to walk around with the crown of my hair in the back like an oil slick - I didn't have time to wash it out. It was pretty gnarly. So I stopped using it for a couple of weeks, thinking maybe my hair was too fine or something for the product. Then, one day I decided to pick it up again and made sure I was only spraying it sparingly, and only on the bottom half of my hair, especially concentrating on the roots. This made all the difference.

So first I only used it before I flat ironed, which made it pretty soft and smooth, then I decided since a lot of the time I blow dry my 85-90% air dried hair before I straighten, I would apply it once before I blow dry and again before I flat iron. This has made all the difference.

I am growing my hair long for the first time in years, and it's a few inches past my shoulders. While I know I should get a trim, I do have split ends that are still a bit noticeable (though nothing horrifying) when using this product. I will concede, however, that they look better than they used to, and I do not believe any product out there is going to completely camouflage rough split ends, short of actually getting a haircut.

My hair is a bit shinier when I use this, though nothing too substantial, and I feel better knowing that I am protecting it from heat damage. I have tried many different heat protectants, too, and none are quite like this one. It's definitely my favorite, and I would tell you ladies and gents to give it a try! But remember, use it sparingly and NEVER near your crown! The only thing I'm not a fan of is the old lady scent - yuck. Luckily it doesn't linger though. Also, while I do love this product, I might purchase the Olive Oil one when I run out, though there is a lot of product and you use so little each time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Awesome stuff! This product is a total game changer for me, just like when I first discovered KPak Intense Hydrator (also awesome stuff). It works well in so many ways - it makes my hair feel sooo soft, it straightens as well as any straightening balm I've ever used, and my ends have been splitting a lot less, even my hairdresser commented that my hair is healthier. I haven't noticed build-up or greasiness, but I do make sure to keep it well away from my roots. I only apply it from chin level down. I think the smell is fine - it smells like "salon" hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Roxy2323

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

One of my absolute favorite products EVER! The name says it all, because that's what it makes your hair feel like =) Also, I actually like the scent of it too. I just wish it wash cheaper, BUT it does go on sale at least twice a year (and that's when I personally stock up on a few bottles.)

The pro's are- 1)Great heat protection
2)Doesn't weigh your hair down at all or make it feel greasy
3)Smells nice
4)A few little sprays will do ya!

Neg- NONE!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2013 5:12:00 PM More reviews by DMlover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EWW! This stuff stinks figuratively and literally. It feels super oily and it weighs my hair down. I only bought it at Sally's because it had a pump. I don't even think this helped protect from the heat. Don't purchase this.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by DPinon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product is so so for me... My hair is naturally curly so when I want to blow dry it out it does make my hair feel softer but it stinks and whether I use a little or not it makes my hair oily by the end of the day...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 10:47:00 PM More reviews by SMichelle85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love Silk Elements!!! My hair is bleached platinum and it drinks this stuff up. A little goes a long way and if you put too much it can get greasy. I only use this on days that i blowdry my hair straight. I spray it on while my hair is still damp and by the time it's dry, all the spray has soaked in. It leaves my hair soft and detangled. And I LOVE the way their stuff smells!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2012 11:20:00 AM More reviews by FrogPrincess1987

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Too oily for my hair. I already use an oil. I'm mostly let down because the SA at Sally's was horrible. I asked if this was oily she gave me attitude and and said no. I use it for the first time on a section of hair and sure enough it was too oily. I've never been to a Sally's where their SA's were knowledgable about their products. I was looking for a heat protector and would have bought one from Sally's that day she didn't have to pretend she knew about the product and lie to me. Ok venting is done. Too oily for my fine hair, if I didn't already use an oil that I am happy with I may consider this product for me.. Until then this is not the product for my hair.