July 23, 2014 | 1841 users online

Hair Treatments - Silk Elements Megasilk Heat Protection Spray

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Bought a 2 oz bottle from Sallys because I've decided if possible, I am only going to buy sample sizes of products before purchasing the whole shebang. It was on super sale at Sallys so I think I got it for less than 5 dollars...that's the baby size btw.
For my hair, I was coloring it frequently, I wash daily (both shamp& cond) and straighten every day just about. It's a shoulder length a bob with some layering.
Anyhoo, I read reviews that overuse of this product will cause greasiness, which I experienced the first time. I did not penalize the product for that, only myself.

However, I am confused as to how to thoroughly apply something that cannot be over applied. It's a catch 22 of sorts because I have medium thick hair and the shafts and ends need the most protection yet it's hard to disperse the product evenly? So what I do now, is seperate my hair into sections as I do when straightening, starting from bottom to top. then I do a couple light sprays several inches away from my head and then comb it through.

I do find that this product, when used appropriately, leaves my hair soft as silk. But the tiniest excess makes my hair heavy, slick, and flat...
Also, I'd put the scent in the con bucket. It smells extremely dated and heavy. I can't imagine this being geared towards women 60 and ^ but thats what it smells like...

all in all, use with caution and spray a nice perfume around your neck region :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by Raven01

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have fine colour treated hair and I LOVE this product It protects my hair while blow drying, flat ironing and curling iron The trick is to not use too much! If you over due it your hair will look greasy and stringy A little goes a long way It is pleasantly scented but if you are sensitive to fragrance this could be a problem for you I like the scent and am not sensitive to fragrance It comes in a convenient pump spray but I wish it dispensed less product It's very easy to over do it, hence the negative reviews I've received tons of compliments on how "just salon styled" my hair looks I've already ordered two more bottles of this cause I never want to be without it! Give it a try... Just go easy with it!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by patty48

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fine hair in fairly good condition. I do wash and blow dry my hair everyday. I was awarded a "free" product at Sally's (not sure why) and I couldn't decide what to chose from then the sales associate recommended this. I'm so glad I didn't purchase this. This made my hair a flat, stringy mess. Just awful. No time to re-wash my hair and start over so I had to clip my hair up. In the garbage it went!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/29/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by xosandy

I gave it a go but it didn't really do anything for me. Let's start with the pros: it smells nice and isn't overpowering or in your face, price is fantastic, and that's pretty much it. Other than that, I felt like it did not protect my hair from heat. I really don't have much else to say about this product. It didn't do anything for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried giving this product a fair chance, but it has only been a disappointment. It makes my hair feel stringy when first applied, and then it ends up a poufy, wiry mess when I'm done blow drying. I feel like it offers virtually no heat protection, which in turn makes it useless to me. The smell isn't so bad...it reminds me of Moroccanoil. I just wish it actually provided adequate heat protection.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 7:15:00 PM More reviews by sjlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

If you have thin hair don't buy this product, it will be way too greasy for you. To my thick, coarse haired ladies this is your best friend!! I use *very* little on the ends of my hair and no other spray has worked as well to smooth and shine my hair. I give it 4 Lippies because it is way too easy to go overboard with this and get greasy hair. Other than that it is very effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by bcm321

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by ModHippie

I have blow dried and straightened my fine hair for years now, and the damage was starting to get kind of yucky - dead ends, super dry hair. And I don't get my hair trimmed religiously, so I was looking for a product to help me out a little.

I would use heat protectants on and off over the years, but I thought the real help to my dry hair was going to come in the form of the moisturizing shampoos, conditioners, deep conditioners, and creams/lotions/oils I would buy to help combat the dryness. Some stuff helped, others did not, and then one day a few months ago I was in Sally's and on a whim picked this stuff up. I was debating between this and the one with Olive Oil. I finally decided on this one, as it was my first introduction to this brand, so I wanted to try the regular one first.

Honestly, I did not have the best initial time with this product. But that was entirely my fault. I'd use too much and my hair would be greasy - one of the first time I used it, I had to walk around with the crown of my hair in the back like an oil slick - I didn't have time to wash it out. It was pretty gnarly. So I stopped using it for a couple of weeks, thinking maybe my hair was too fine or something for the product. Then, one day I decided to pick it up again and made sure I was only spraying it sparingly, and only on the bottom half of my hair, especially concentrating on the roots. This made all the difference.

So first I only used it before I flat ironed, which made it pretty soft and smooth, then I decided since a lot of the time I blow dry my 85-90% air dried hair before I straighten, I would apply it once before I blow dry and again before I flat iron. This has made all the difference.

I am growing my hair long for the first time in years, and it's a few inches past my shoulders. While I know I should get a trim, I do have split ends that are still a bit noticeable (though nothing horrifying) when using this product. I will concede, however, that they look better than they used to, and I do not believe any product out there is going to completely camouflage rough split ends, short of actually getting a haircut.

My hair is a bit shinier when I use this, though nothing too substantial, and I feel better knowing that I am protecting it from heat damage. I have tried many different heat protectants, too, and none are quite like this one. It's definitely my favorite, and I would tell you ladies and gents to give it a try! But remember, use it sparingly and NEVER near your crown! The only thing I'm not a fan of is the old lady scent - yuck. Luckily it doesn't linger though. Also, while I do love this product, I might purchase the Olive Oil one when I run out, though there is a lot of product and you use so little each time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Awesome stuff! This product is a total game changer for me, just like when I first discovered KPak Intense Hydrator (also awesome stuff). It works well in so many ways - it makes my hair feel sooo soft, it straightens as well as any straightening balm I've ever used, and my ends have been splitting a lot less, even my hairdresser commented that my hair is healthier. I haven't noticed build-up or greasiness, but I do make sure to keep it well away from my roots. I only apply it from chin level down. I think the smell is fine - it smells like "salon" hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Roxy2323

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

One of my absolute favorite products EVER! The name says it all, because that's what it makes your hair feel like =) Also, I actually like the scent of it too. I just wish it wash cheaper, BUT it does go on sale at least twice a year (and that's when I personally stock up on a few bottles.)

The pro's are- 1)Great heat protection
2)Doesn't weigh your hair down at all or make it feel greasy
3)Smells nice
4)A few little sprays will do ya!

Neg- NONE!