October 23, 2014 | 925 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Premium Creme Soy Complex

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

I have very thick, long, wavy hair. I bought this along my gradual at-home "blonde journey"
in a DEMI-permanent: 8A, as well as the cool mix. It should be noted this is the ONLY demi-appropriate cool mix I've found. (review is mostly on the cool mix)

One box+ developer plus 1/4oz cool mix with 1/4 oz developer was NOT enough for my hair and I didn't get a favorable result, so I re-dyed it. I am leaving 4 stars, though, because of what I observed even from the sub-par result.

- the pigment is STRONG. For those of you seeking out ash toning (who isn't?), this is definitely ash (I know this because it turned my platinum pieces grey and I had to re-bleach themů poor hair!).
- the above comment could be a result of the cool mix, of course, moreso than the dye. If that's the case, the cool mix gets 100 thumbs up. It is highly concentrated. When I re-dyed and mixed my Wella, I added just a touch to the formula. While my platinum pieces still ended up a little greyish (likely the result of using an 8-level direct deposit as well), the overall tone is beautifully cool but translucently so.)

Overall, I would recommend the cool mix wholeheartedly. It's the only demi variety I've found, and it can also be mixed with permanent and is fine with other brands.
The demi color I wouldn't choose to buy again because Wella is a better value due to the mix ratio and I"m always happy with Wella results, BUT, if it was all I could find I'd feel totally fine about using it. I'd just buy two boxes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this. I buy the liqui-permenant soy 4 complex version. I usually buy the lvl high lift 12N or 12GN and I always get a bright yellow blonde which is what I love! Use with 40 developer for about 15-20 mins and its done. My hair is naturally a medium blonde (level 10ish) so it doesnt take much for it to lift : )

The only problem is it makes my scalp really dry and the first day after doing my hair my scalp is a little itchy because of the dryness but after a day or two it goes back to normal so its not too bad.

I switched to using this after using nice and easy for a long time which totally killed my hair by the way. I much prefer the clairol soy4!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2012 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Leucothea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I can't believe this product has so many poor reviews! A little hair history: My hair is naturally a medium brown, I went to a salon to have it lifted to a very light (platinum) blonde and when the roots started coming in I started looking for an alternative to the salon (I really hate salons for many reasons). I didn't want to go anywhere near bleach so I went to Sally's and a very nice employee directed me to this wonderful product. I purchased 9AA Very Light Ultra Cool Blonde and mixed it 1:2 with 40 Volume developer (1 = Clairol colorant 2 = Developer) and it zapped my medium brown roots up to a super light blonde! (I only dyed my roots) I am thrilled that I didn't have to use bleach. My hair feels soft and looks shiny. No salon, no breakage, no frizz, just beautiful blonde! It did make my scalp the tiniest bit itchy but NOTHING like the burning at the salon. It also has almost no scent to it, which is lovely. I really could not be happier. Oh and the price! Because I had a coupon it was about $3. You can't beat that! I would purchase this again even if it was ten times that price, because this product is so gentle on my hair!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2012 11:21:00 AM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this from Sally's in 5NN as I wanted to fix the hot roots I had developed when I last touched up my hair as well as cover my highlights as I was sick of them. The associate at Sally's steered me towards this brand because they were reorganizing the Wella section in their store and could not find the dye I wanted. Big mistake using this. It burned my scalp and hardly covered the hot roots. Then after a few washes whatever color took started to fade. I went back to Sally's and bought Wella's Color Charm Permanent Gel Color in 5N/511 and voila my hair is a beautiful and shiny medium-dark brown color.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/12/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by cherallynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product basically stunk. My scalp is dried out and my hair is thinning badly. I wish the manufacturer would bring back the old formula.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2012 10:26:00 PM More reviews by blondeluv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This review is on the Clairol Professional Soy4Plex liquicolor permananent 12AA-B in the new package it says HL-B High Lift Ultra Cool Blonde-Blue Base. They also have another High Lift that is Blue-Violet base. I purchased HL-B knowing the Blue would lighten my hair the most (for years the result of my hair coloring has resulted in a slight golden Gwen Stefani/Marilyn Monroe). I've also been using Ion's Sensitive Scalp Developer 40 Volume for coloring from Sally's Supply.

My natural color was a Medium-Light Auburn Brown, in my teens, have been coloring it with over the counter hair colors until the past few years. I want to stress Auburn and it's also resistant to color or has become this way as I have gotten reached my 30's-at least that's what they tell me at Sally's. Also, I DID have extensions but took them out a year ago prior to this 'incident', I also have used Prismlights (blue-or the violet based) powder bleach with 30 or 40 Volume of Ion Developer for resistant or brown hair and the Blue will turn my roots VERY light sometimes and while the Violet has been orange to very brassy Yellow, even with a red/yellow gold corrector.

So, I tried the Soy4Plex years ago with extensions in and noticed some breakage at the ends of my real hair-about an inch-which I contributed to perhaps leaving it on too long-45 minutes. I then switched back to Prismlights Bleach-Blue Base, as the Blue has never left an orange or yellow color ring after, but rather a natural light blonde.
This time, I decided to give the Soy4Plex liquicolor in 12AA-High Lift Blue another try, as I didn't want such a lightening effect and I 'thought' the color would be less damaging to my hair!
Boy was I WRONG. I used a 40 volume, 2-1, left in on 45 minutes, used a deep conditioner when I was done, as I always do and left that on for 15 minutes. Same routine as always. I only touch up the regrowth! Even though the regrowth was about 1-1/2 an inch, it STILL left a light orange ring-least of my problems, my hair which I had let grow out from removing the extensions, had broken off so much I was left with 1 inch to 1 1/2 TOTAL inches of hair, with the most damage on the top of my hair/around forehead, almost making me appear as though I have a buzz cut. Talk about devastation and depression! Oh, and in case you're wondering, while I do not and have not practiced as a Cosmetologist in years and years, I do keep my license current as to purchase these and other beauty products at a discount rather than pay 200 plus dollars at a salon. When I have had extensions, salons are so hesitant to color my hair, and if using the Blue base of any of the products it can stain the extension glue blue or Violet, depending. I've also had my roots show a hint of blue/violet, which I've had to go over with a gold rinse, which defeats the purpose. I do use quality products on my hair, but when coloring it has become resistant as I mentioned since I turned 30ish and no I'm not on medications, which is what was asked of me at Sally's when I went back to discuss the bad effects of the product. In fact they said the soy4plex was one of the BEST products next to their permanent creme color, which I once used on my hair as well for low lights and it turned it a funky color and damaged it. Guess the 3rd time was the charm on learning! Sally's also said that 40 volume/20 volume developer can be used at the same time when using bleach, uh....whatever, you really have to keep checking and when using 40 I suggest lowering the developing time from 50-60 minutes to 30-40 if using 40 volume, in my opinion. I was also told that neither product would or could have damaged my hair! Hmmm, didn't realize Sally's was an expert on this. I will either continue with the Prismlights or start purchasing my products from State Beauty.

My apologies for writing such a LONG review, but I would hate for anyone else with resistant hair or brown hair to use this product. Kudos to those of you who are happy with the results. However, I wonder if there may be a Soy REACTION in this product to those who have sensitivities to Soy or it conflicts with their other hair products, as I had NO problems with this same product before they added the Soy in it! Something to consider! I realize everyone's experience and hair quality is different, but in terms of damage. HA! I would have rather been left with orange hair then a buzz cut like Guy Fieri or Max Headroom!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by dream_me

I must say I am highly disappointed in the new Soy Complex. The Color does not last and it burns my scalp every time I use it now. It smells really strong and it is runny. I have used this product for many years I have to switch to another brand. Why did they change something that was already perfect? I will never understand.
PLEASE READ!
I used nothing else: YIKES! From Using the Soyplex????
....As of Jan. 22 2012 I am losing lots of hair and going bald in spots. TERRIBLE!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I've already dyed my hair. Once was with Natural Instinct Vibrant (a little damage). That was a dark black-brown and I decided I wanted black so I tried Revlon Colorsilk (fried my hair). I was devastated. So I went back to the original Natural Instincts and it left my hair the way it was (no more damage than what I had from what I could tell). A month passes and my roots are starting to show. So what do I do? I'm in another state, visiting family, and I decide to stop at Walmart. They didn't have Natural Instincts. Well there was a Sally Beauty Supply across the street. I thought to myself "hm I've had good luck there before. Maybe an associate can help me find a good deep black that won't destroy my hair". I stop in, ask the associate, and she points me towards this. I'm handed the N1 (black) and a volume 10 developer. She said since it has soy in it that the product won't be as damaging. Boy was she wrong! I used this yesterday and it fried my hair like Revlon Colorsilk did! I am never going to touch this stuff again and I'm going back to Natural Instincts. All I want is a dye that'll last (not fade) and not fry my hair. Natural Instincts is the closest thing I can find (it tends to fade though).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2011 7:41:00 PM More reviews by coolbabe377

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The first couple of times I used this on my hair...well...it wasn't all that great, and I found that my roots faded pretty quickly in spite of using my gray magic drops. Also...my hair was getting redder and redder. I was a coppery blonde and was using the 7NN and 8NN half and half combination.

The last time I did it, I thought..."Hey...cut out the gray magic and just see what happens." This took some guts as I was using the drops as kind of a crutch and didn't want to do my whole head again. I used the developer by Clairol created for this hair color and used a 2 to 1 ratio of 7NN and 8NN, and voila...just a really nice neutral blonde, and it has been 2 weeks and very little fading. This product never made me itch, but then very few things do.

I'm finding that using the developer made for the product and dropping those gray magic drops (they're really awful for you anyway) helped me to get the color I wanted (neutral medium/dark blonde). The coppery blonde was very pretty, but not what I was going for. Also, I went a little darker, and then framed my face with some highlights the next day. Really pretty. I also left it on for over 50 mins. When they messed me up in salons...they would always leave it on for 20-30 mins, and couldn't understand why the color faded to canary blonde roots in a couple of days. Also...in the good old days (the 80's and 90's), they used to just dye my roots brown, and they would lighten in no time. So...no more gray magic drops, use dedicated developer, go slightly darker, and leave it on long enough. Also...I only touched up the roots (well a little past them), and then with my remaining WEN (I still have a bunch left)...I added it to the rest of my mixture about 45 mins in. I still have my quarrels with WEN, but it's great for coloring your hair (during and right after...locks the color in like nothing else, and you can mix what's left of the color with it, and I have NO color stripes. You can also get that dye out of there with the WEN.

And my hair is in beautiful condition. Enough said.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2011 2:37:00 AM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Feria among other box colours for a long while now. Feria discontinued by reddish blonde, and I have been trying in vain to find a replacement. I tried this in 8RN and so far, I am happy. One tube covered everything with 30 volume developer, although really I could've used two. My hair is very soft and looks really healthy, and the colour is true and even. The greys are also covered and my hair was pretty dirty and greasy before coloring. My hair has never felt so good after a color. I will use it again, and I love the brush bowl thing. BTW, smell was acceptable. It is a color after all.

SO, edit, the red washed out. Completely. It wasn't very nice in the first place, but now my great blonde I did have before is a brassy mess. My hair feels dry after cutting off 6 inches BUT it may be because I coloured all my hair for a change of colour. This is, it all washed out, just left a tad of orange/brass that will take me forever to get out, AND dry hair. I don't like Clairol. I never take to Clairol. And i had an itchy scalp afterwards for a week or so.

Back to Feria.