September 1, 2014 | 1077 users online

Mascara - Just for Redheads - Studio Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2011 11:08:00 AM More reviews by vickio92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I have this is gingerAuburn. It is one of their better mascaras, far better than naturelle. The colour is lovely, not too dark, nor too light on my medium lashes. It is more brown than red, so usualy use one coat of my ginerRed and then one coat of gingerAuburn. It looks lovely with taupe eyeliner. However, thepackaging is crappy. The brow brush falls off (plus, why do you need an eyebrow brush on mascara?). The wand is hard to use and it ieasy to accidently get the product everywhere when you are applying it. I will buy it again, but I do wish the package quality was better

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2010 5:46:00 PM More reviews by bonaramis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm not a natural redhead, but really light-skinned, so black mascara looks very strong on me. I ordered the Studio Mascara in Ginger Red, and I'm very pleased with it. The lashes look very natural, no flaking, no panda eyes in rainy weather - great product.

For a night out it is too light, but for everyday, if one doesn't want to look too 'look people, I've got makeup on!' it is perfect.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2008 2:16:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i think i found my HG! i bought this in Ginger Red and i love it so far. my lashes are brownish not red even though im a strawberry blonde. this color adds a red tint to them and it didnt clump at all when i applied a few coats. not sure about the waterproof just yet,ill have to keep an eye on it through out the day. but so far so good...
update on the waterproof:
cried today and needless to say this stuff isnt very waterproof. but atleast it didnt run down my face and make a big mess. i think ill still keep it as my HG cause of the color and it didnt irritate my eyes at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2008 8:51:00 AM More reviews by rutzie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this product for years and really like it. I'm a strawberry blond and most mascaras are too dark for my complexion. I like a more natural and subtle look. The mascara goes on well and stays on all day. I've never had a problem with clumping or flaking. I've never been able to find mascara in red shades in stores. The only problem is that this product is only available by mail and I sometimes wait too long to order. I will occasionally buy another kind of mascara but always end up disappointed and return to Just for Redheads.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2007 8:42:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I thought that mascara formulated specially for redheads was a fantastic idea, and really looked forward to trying Just For Redheads out. Very disappointing.

I haven't given 0 as customer service was excellent, and the idea's good, and fellow redheads should support one another in this anti-redhead cosmetic world.

I bought the Studio Mascara in the two lighter (of three) shades, GingerRed and GingerHenna. My hair is what JFR classifies as "strawberry blonde," my lashes fair but not invisible - constant use of mascara has saved them from bleaching by the sun, hah! So GingerRed was too light, the Henna about right. These are all true browns - i.e. with no blackish-grey tinge - with a reddish tint, here a golden-ginger tone and a russet-cherrywood. JFR's colours are excellent in the tube, and smeared on a tissue, and match the colour on their website exactly. All good things.

And now for the less good. The packaging, first. Plastic see-through tube, good for showing off the lovely colour. The top has a black lash brush/comb inside. Good idea, bad in practice: the bristles and teeth are too short and break, and whole thing feels flimsy. Stick with a separate lash and brow brush/comb. Writing and some decorative bands/stripes are in gold. Naff, and rubbing off already. Maybe silver, and some work on the script/font? [NB this is pure subjective opinion and a matter of taste, so has not affected lippies.]
The formula is at once too thin and too drying. The brush is downright bad. Bad quality, bad design. Too stiff and not densely enough packed, so not bushy, so good for clumping and lousy for separation and definition. Too thick, so useless for ensuring even distribution of mascara and application right down to the roots, which is absolutely vital on paler lashes.

It took me three times the usual time to get adequate coverage, and even with much brushing and combing, so many coats that the lashes felt dry, brittle, and crunchy. Once a second coat was on, the colour deepened to a regular brown, and the red tones were barely discernible. I am very short-sighted and apply my eye-makeup "blind" - I can see as well that way as an averagely-sighted person can with a magnifying glass - so if anyone could see maximum detail such as the sadly lost red, it would be me. Humph.

The result was dry, flaky lashes, barely covered, no volume, no length, and little colour. Even adding a coat of Clarins Fix'Mascara all over didn't help. That's really dire: it's helped even very average mascaras when, for example, I've had the regular stuff confiscated at airport security and had to find what I could at short notice (picking up whatever brown mascara I could, though the Fix is always easy to find, thank goodness)

I applied one colour on each eye, and waited for partner to get home to ask him for his considered judgement. This seemed fair, as he had been very patient with my great excitement about JFR mascara, and had put up nicely with my rants about discrimination against redheads and long histories of personal mascara woes. We agreed: poor.

By this stage, my eyes had also started to sting and run, and the surrounding skin to go pink. Given that all the other ingredients were things my eyes had encountered before, I put this down to "may contain: iron oxides" (that's all that was given on the colours used) and/or the crappy brush. I removed the mascara, stuck on cold wet teabags for a few minutes, and once the irritation had died down, put my good old regular Clinique Naturally Glossy again. All was well, and we seem to have returned to living happily ever after.

CONCLUSION: Instead of this, if you a redhead and looking for a "less unnatural"look, try one of the following in brown:

Clinique Naturally Glossy/Long Pretty (Clinique's brown/black is still quite brown)

Maybelline Full & Soft/Lash Discovery (harder to find in brown or even brown/black). continued >>