Sensodyne - Pronamel

Active Ingredients: Potassium Nitrate (5%), Sodium Fluoride (0.15% w/v Fluoride Ion). Inactive Ingredients: Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Flavor, Glycerin, Hydrated Silica, PEG 8, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Saccharin, Sorbitol, Titanium Dioxide, Water, Xanthan Gum.

on 8/12/2015 4:15:00 AM

Sensodyne (the original and the pronamel) is the only toothpaste I use.

I've got very sensitive teeth and this really helps me to cool the sensitivity down.

The taste is ok, I like the texture, Pronamel is more foamy compared to the original Sensodyne but both do great job.

I would say Pronamel is more gentle and helps my gums to stop bleeding. Sensodyne is more stronger, somehow it's been whitening my teeth so I really like the effect :)

The only thing, I find it quite pricy. But to be fair, nice healthy teeth are worth the money :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

If you tried the regular Sensodyne with baking soda and hated it, I hear you. I hated it too, because it tasted gross. But Sensodyne Pronamel is completely different. It doesn't taste gross at all! It is so much better for your teeth and your skin than many of the more popular brands. My favorite variant is Mint Essence and I've been using it for years.

When I started using Sensodyne, it wasn't really because I had a problem with tooth sensitivity; rather, it was because my regular toothpaste was causing rashes around the corners of my mouth. In addition, I wanted something that didn't sting my mouth so much while brushing, and also lathered less (too much foam makes it hard for me to see what I'm brushing). I needed something more gentle. Then I found Sensodyne Pronamel in the grocery, so I started using it. The rashes around my mouth went away and brushing became a more pleasant experience.

I wasn't sure about the enamel protection part of it when I started using it, but it's worth noting that over the years my teeth have been pretty resistant to staining despite my diet, which includes LOTS of Indian curry and tea. In fact, my dental hygienist once asked me if I had used whitening strips because my teeth looked pretty white. At that time, it had been years since I had used any teeth whitening products. I mentioned to her that I use this toothpaste and she said it was one of the better ones to use because many others are way too abrasive. Abrasiveness is denoted by the Relative Dentin Abrasion (RDA), where higher numbers mean it's more abrasive. Generally, toothpastes that have an RDA of less than 80 are considered low abrasive. Sensodyne Pronamel's RDA is around 35. You would be shocked at the RDA of some well-known brands, especially the whitening variants with the scrubbing crystals. Toothpastes with high abrasiveness will wear down the enamel, and the thinner the enamel is, the darker the teeth look. So, while it seems paradoxical, the key to having whiter teeth is not really to use "whitening" toothpastes. It's using a gentler toothpaste like Pronamel. (By the way, my hygienist mentioned that Pronamel would be better for me than "natural" fluoride-free toothpaste. In her practice she's seen a lot of patients and she said those that use Tom's of Maine have issues with their teeth. Maybe those patients were just not brushing regularly? I don't know. Make of that what you will.)

However, no toothpaste alone will give you healthy teeth. You also need to floss at least once a day (because plaque can harden and set on your teeth in as little as a day) and go for an oral prophylaxis with your dentist every 6 months. The flossing is huge---it can be quite a chore, but honestly your immune system is so much stronger when you keep your mouth clean. Just think: when your immune system doesn't have to fight off bacteria growing in your gumline, it has more resources to devote to battling allergies, cold and flu viruses, etc. They say flossing can add 6 years to your life.

Regarding price: Sensodyne is slightly more expensive than other drugstore brands, but I buy mine in bulk from Amazon so it's not so bad. Well worth it to have healthy teeth and skin.

Regarding packaging: So-so. The tube is not recyclable. Boo. :( The material used for the tube doesn't allow for much rolling in order to squeeze product towards the opening. But the design of the cap allows you to stand it upwards on your counter, which helps keep most of the product near the opening anyway.

All in all: Packaging could be better, but I haven't found anything better. I love this toothpaste!

on 1/16/2015 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I grew up using arm and hammer toothpaste. My parents always insisted it's the best, but after brushing my mouth tasted what I imagine toilet water tastes like. In terms of whitening or protection I didn't think Arm & Hammer was anything special.

I've been using Sensodyne for about 2 years now, and I don't plan on replacing it. The formula is creamy and sudsy, like a fine shampoo but for your mouth. My mouth feels brand new when I use it. My favorite thing is that it feels as if it nurtures the mouth, it cleans well without the sting. Your breath smells like absolutely nothing after brushing - which I love. I encourage you to try it....don't let the obnoxious commercials throw you off!

on 4/28/2013 3:56:00 PM

There's this fresh mint taste I have grown used to after brushing my teeth, so sensodyne is taking some getting used to. The taste is weird. But I'm using it because my boyfriend testified that it works on staining and sensitivity.

I have to use a sensative toothpaste and my dentist said sensodyne is the best. I tried the pronamel kind and didn't care for it. It does help with the sensitivity but it looks like it doesn't clean my teeth really well. I notice a few stains inbetween my teeth. One thing i like is the packaging. The cap clicks on and off. Just a cool The regular sensodyne is better.

on 12/15/2012 6:41:00 PM

I'd like to preface with that I wanted to leave a review for the original Sensodyne toothpaste, but the "pronamel" one kept appearing. I haven't use the "pronamel", but I've used the original Sensodyne for many years and that's the only toothpaste that I use. The flavor that I prefer is "original flavor," and just an fyi that one is supposed to use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth while brushing in an up-and-down motion and *not* the usual left to right. It's supposed to coat (or help) the teeth more effectively that way. Please also remember to check with your dentist first as tooth sensitivity can actually be due to a cavity (hole), and if left untreated, the tooth can get infected (a tooth abscess) which can be very dangerous as sepsis (blood poisoning) can occur in addition to the root canal that costs *a lot* of money to treat.

on 6/2/2012 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I hate that it doesn't give my mouth the feel of freshness that brushing teeth usually does (probably because the scent isn't as strong which most people like I guess), it hasn't helped my teeth sensitivity either. Wouldn't repurchase.

on 4/19/2012 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is amazing for getting rid of sensitivity, my dentist said to get this and that it's the best on the market and make sure to get the 'pronamel'. It helped me on the first use, it noticed that rinising wasnt nearly as bad, by the 3rd use all sensitivity is gone and stays away even through the day

on 2/21/2012 11:58:00 PM

This is for Sensodyne ProNamel Gentle Whitening. I insist on white teeth, but over the years, they have become quite sensitive. Enter this product - almost completely eliminates my sensitivity yet whitens enough that I can go longer in between treatments using whitening strips. This on its own does not keep my teeth white enough for me, but it does help and the fact I no longer have sensitivity (I'd say 98% gone as long as I continue to use) = color me happy! I can use my Sonicare, use whitening strips every few months all w/ no discomfort! Love this!. My actual rating is 4.5 because I would really like it if it whitened my teeth even more, but then perhaps I'm not very realistic...:)

on 12/29/2011 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This review is not necessarily the pronamel variety, but for Sensodyne in general. I have used this brand on and off since my teens and tried several of their offerings. This toothpaste does desensitize, my lips do not dry out unlike other with other brands and I have never had a cavity. No complaints at all

Popular Other Products